Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [bikefixed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Holy crap.

Hope you have a speedy and full recovery, and we'll see ya back there next year.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. Wow. So glad you are mostly intact and recovering man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some story. Glad to here that you are recovering. I hope to see you at the starting line next year.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a quick recovery

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Sorry to hear all you have been through, but glad things are healing up.

I cringed when I heard an ambulance then grimaced a bit more than I already was when I saw you down. Thanks for posting to let us know how you are doing.

Hope we can see you at the finish line next year enjoying some food and brews!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the well wishes. Now that I've had a chance to think more, I would like to hear from anyone who may have seen anything or who was there attending to me. Like, did they do a blood glucose test? What about electrolytes data? Any sort of info that could teach me something.

As much as I claim that I was fine, I don't truly know that. If indeed I was low on blood sugar then clearly what I was working with that morning was not doing what I needed. I need to know that as opposed to just keeping to my smack talk about feeling great and looking forward to making a move up. I'm getting too old for fooling myself when comes to these things.

So, if anyone does have anything I could learn about that morning, please contact me. peterwick@comcast.net

I'd post a pic of my helmet but I can't figure out how to get it done here, It's not that important, just think of one that a 5th grade took a meat tenderizer to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter, you seem to think that you passed out but you said in your first post that you have a severe concussion. You may have simply crashed and the head trauma is wiping out the memory of the crash. Years ago I had a motorcycle crash. I must have landed on my head because my helmet was toast, along with all memory of what happened. Months later people would tell me that they talked to me after the accident and I was really weird. I had no memory of any of it. Be careful, rest up, recovery and, as I said before, I'll see you there next year!

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heal quickly!!!!

wow

and Sweeney is right how you went down was likely a crash the concussion will leave that a mystery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed you make a full recovery. Thoughts are with you.
I heard third hand after the race that a volunteer thought you blacked out while still on the bike and that caused you to crash. That said, I have no way of verifying this and the spot you did crash was pretty sketchy (downhill on loose gravel, slight turn...) so it's equally possible you crashed 'awake' and can't recall what preceded it due to the concussion. Obviously it's best if you can speak to the volunteer that was right at the spot you crashed.
As others have said though, really hope you're back next year!
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya know? I had a premonition about that road the day before when I picked up my race packet. And there I was, worried about that silly run course and that bike loop when what I shoulda been concerned with was the little path into the transition corral.

By the way, I was a whole 4 minutes into my brand new age group, M50-54, when the race started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thx for posting your saga.........heal up and rest. I hope you figure out the puzzle and put those lessons in play going forward. One of the more creative types out here might be able to figure out the 2015 race shirt slogan with your bonk in mind......as these ST Amzof trolls fundamentally have nothing else to live for.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang it! I keep posting all these incredibly funny replies to these posts but my phone eats them on me. The nerve!

Anyway, oh YEAH?? I did NOT bonk! So there. And and... And my dad says your dad still has reflectors on his toe clip pedals. Neener neener.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bikefixed wrote:
Dang it! I keep posting all these incredibly funny replies to these posts but my phone eats them on me. The nerve!

Anyway, oh YEAH?? I did NOT bonk! So there. And and... And my dad says your dad still has reflectors on his toe clip pedals. Neener neener.

That must be the head injury talking. Try not to put anything official in writing for a while!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I was kidding in that post. Mostly myself. Sorry if it was taken seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know. How are you feeling? Are you allowed to walk around yet?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I got the okay for day time walking but not outside without anyone. I think that's mostly to make sure I'm decent. I think. Today is probably going to be a review of all kinds of daily tasks if they transfer me to outpatient status. You know, like washing your kit, checking your air pressure, filling your water bottles... Maybe they will go over changing a flat or even cleaning your chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope u get healthy soon man... crashes SUCK!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you are ready to go already!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peter:
I happened upon you laying on the ground a few minutes after you got there, you were already being attended to by two people and i know a third was rushing around getting more gear.
My Lady friend who was taking pics said that the volunteer nearby saw you guy by and didn't watch you, but turned around to see you "go over the handle bars." the lady friend also reported that you apparently had a "diabetic event." So someone nearby must have been stating that, that said, she told me all of this on the drive home and her comments could have been clouded by anything Keith told her. Hope this shred is helpful to piecing it all together.

I had a bad ski fall this year and still haven't recovered the 15 minute memory gap. Hoping your recovery is speedy, it was great meeting you in person and having dinner on Sat night. Hopefully you can pull it together and still come to MT as a volunteer??

good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Peter,

I'm so sorry to hear about your crash. It sounds like you are recovering with a lot of support. I work with athletes on nutrition for my day job and I'd be happy to see if I can help you get to the bottom of the blood sugar question. You can email me at christine@liveandeatbetter.com and we can set up a call to see if I can help. No charge :)

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [holisticguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally posted my race report if anyone is interested. I was 3rd overall female this year: http://liveandeatbetter.com/...gen-2014-race-report

Congrats to everyone who raced out there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Christine. You are one tough woman!

And way to go, for stepping up to try to help Bikefixed to find out the cause of his crash!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm back home now. Got a first look at the bike. Trying to reconcile the bike damage to my injuries is a bit of a mystery but I suppose that is better left for another time. I downloaded my Garmin files and put them up on Strava (Peter Wick) and now know that I was remembering my activity levels pretty well. Nothing fancy. Well down the leaderboards on every segment and yes, I cannot believe John Withrow and Murphy's Law were going that fast... I was holding back on the run ('cause I didn't know the course at all) and I was right within my planned limits on the bike. I just don't understand what happened. I mean that stuff is normal for a brisk workout where I live and it wasn't warm at all so I know I wasn't overheating yet. It turns out that I was actually training on harder trails right by my house (South Mountain Reservation in Millburn, NJ). Still, I crashed hard. I remember that road coming in by the parking lot and I'm pretty sure I was taking it cautiously but the end result is the end result. That is, I f#cking scared the hell out of my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Christine,

Bummer about that wrong turn. I'm really surprised that nobody blasted through that tape, but probably I would have done the same thing had I been in that crowd.

I know next year I'll be back to the long course. Hope to see you there.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen 2014 Official Thread [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Victor!

The tape was incredibly convincing. It wasn't just a sign flipped the wrong way. It was pretty elaborate, otherwise I would have taken the usual left. I'll be back next year too and I look forward to racing with you!

Quote Reply

Prev Next