Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you boycott any products? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

As for those who are boycotting companies for social/political/religious reasons, I have a serious question for all of you....do all of your friends and family share precisely the same social, political, religious views as you? Mine certainly don’t; if I have no objection to having a friend who has a different view of such things I have a hard time boycotting an entire company for a similar reason

Serious answer - my friends more or less do share my views and those that don't aren't far enough away that we're diametrically opposed. Also we have enough mutual respect to agree to disagree.

Corporations aren't people, nor are they my friends. They are businesses that I buy goods and services from and if I don't approve of something they have done, my only recourse is to not give them my money. I disapprove of this virtual signaling that is not only patronizing, but I suspect insincere. Maybe my own stoppage of my patronage will have no effect, but I will still know that I have voted with my money.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlonius wrote:

Serious answer - my friends more or less do share my views and those that don't aren't far enough away that we're diametrically opposed. Also we have enough mutual respect to agree to disagree.

Corporations aren't people, nor are they my friends. They are businesses that I buy goods and services from and if I don't approve of something they have done, my only recourse is to not give them my money. I disapprove of this virtual signaling that is not only patronizing, but I suspect insincere. Maybe my own stoppage of my patronage will have no effect, but I will still know that I have voted with my money.

We're going Lavender Room on this. But virtue signalling is precisely what you're doing here. I don't mean that as a pejorative. I don't see announcing what you feel to be appropriate, good behavior as wrong in any way. But it is virtue signalling.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 15, 19 20:09
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [kquantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Careful, “PKnight” started this thread. /pink.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Marlonius wrote:

We're going Lavender Room on this. But virtue signalling is precisely what you're doing here. I don't mean that as a pejorative. I don't see announcing what you feel to be appropriate, good behavior as wrong in any way. But it is virtue signalling.

I agree that if I took to Facebook or social media to declare that I was not going to use a certain product any more, that it would indeed be virtue signaling, however, (and you'll have to trust me on this) I am not. I simply answered the direct question of the original poster. I keep my politics and opinions to myself unless asked.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to support companies that become anti-second amendment when incidents happen. Although I haven't stopped shopping at Dicks, the fact that they don't carry guns chafes my hide.

Yuengling as a beer is American, you should get a truck load of Molson to drown these sins /s

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FACEBOOK.... I want nothing to do with em.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fiji water. You could argue its just smart business and ok that someone are stupid enough to pay 2x the price for it to be named fiji, but it just really pisses me off. It is water.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I would like to boycott pork knowing how sows are treated in general...would also like to boycott meat altogether but I like the taste too much :(
If you weren't supposed to eat pork, God wouldn't have made pigs so tasty.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any movie with Ben Stiller in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I’ve been boycotting McDonald’s and the other main fast food joints for the past 25 years. I’ve gone hungry on a couple of road trips when I didn’t have food with me, but maybe only a few times over all these years. To be honest, I’m not even sure I can even articulate why I’ve been doing it!

Egg McMuffin 2 for $4 are the shit!
Me and my son share them often.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
Boycott - stop interaction with as a punishment or protest.

Nope. I avoid places and companies because I don't like their products or trust them, but there are few places I won't go if they are otherwise the best option at the time. Hell, if I'm hungry enough and they are nearby (and it isn't Sunday) I would even eat that chicken joint.

I don't see how an individual can boycott a company in practice. They will never know.

Same here. Life is too short to worry about which companies I’m supposed to be mad at. Plus, the people who work there are just trying to make a living, same as me.

I agree. I used to boycott Nike because of the Oregon Project and bullying of Olympic athletes. But I realized I am the only one suffering in this boycott. Nike doesn’t give a shit if even 1M people boycott them. Heck my wife didn’t give a shit and kept buying Nike. So I decided life is too short for these bullshit stances. Now the Nike Pegasus Turbo is my favorite shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [pknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I boycott all exotic cars over $200k value, houses over 10k sq feet, expensive caviar, penthouses in hotels, private jets, and celery and okra.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
I boycott all exotic cars over $200k value, houses over 10k sq feet, expensive caviar, penthouses in hotels, private jets, and celery and okra.

what's wrong with celery? That's essential for a good Caesar.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to boycott Christian businesses like hobby lobby and chick fillet - I don't want my money contributing to their "moral causes". I also won't buy from Jimmy John's. I just can't bring myself to give money to a business that forces $8/he sandwich makers to sign non-compete clauses. Similar reason for never eating at Panera.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
It's hard to support companies that become anti-second amendment when incidents happen. Although I haven't stopped shopping at Dicks, the fact that they don't carry guns chafes my hide.

Yuengling as a beer is American, you should get a truck load of Molson to drown these sins /s

I find it interesting on your part since Dicks is about the LAST place I'd ever go if I were in the market for a gun. Yeungling was one of my go-to affordable beers for about 10 years. I can't imagine Dicks provides you with that level of enjoyment as Yeungling does. Yeungling is good stuff. I just don't like it when corporations use their power like that. Hence, I currently have it out for Facebook/Starbucks/Yeungling, etc.......It's getting hard to not have one company or another turn an issue into a profit motive for their bases.

Yeungling/Starbucks/Dicks is easy, buy local. That's more American anyway to support small business. I drink coffee from the local shop using local roasted beans. I drink local beer that doesn't spout it's mouth off for or against a cause to sell cases of beer.

Either way, the REI/Dicks thing..... it's not anti-2nd. Saying it's anti-2A isn't very genuine. I'm pro 2A but very against things like sales to under 18, bump stocks, assaults, etc.... Anti-2A means you want to repeal the 2A. You think a good ole boy Southern liberal is going to give up all the guns. Hell no. Not all "good ole boys" in the south are righties. And those liberal ones still want to hunt and shoot.

Stores wanted to age restrict purchases but the laws make it so they can't do that. It's all or nothing. So, that's not anti-2A. Most places still wanted to sell guns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
fulla wrote:
I would like to boycott pork knowing how sows are treated in general...would also like to boycott meat altogether but I like the taste too much :(

People taste pretty similar to pigs.
I believe many firefighters don't eat pork because the smell reminds them of nasty professional experiences....
It's also a likely reason why pork is considered unclean or is prohibited as food by several religions. If you're trying to steer people away from cannibalism, best to avoid things that taste similar?

Just saying
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ripple wrote:
fulla wrote:

I believe many firefighters don't eat pork because the smell reminds them of nasty professional experiences....
It's also a likely reason why pork is considered unclean or is prohibited as food by several religions. If you're trying to steer people away from cannibalism, best to avoid things that taste similar?

Just saying
You have experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
FACEBOOK.... I want nothing to do with em.

Facebook, Fiji water, and Walmart off the top of my head.

I do have to use facebook to make announcements for my son's scout troop, but I get in and get out. Probably spend 2 minutes there a week. I pre-write my message somewhere else and then copy-paste it in there and close it.

Walmart is a horror show, seemingly promoting and celebrating the worst aspects of mankind and dumbing down of humanity. My family quotes me as saying, "I see things in there that should never be, and cannot be unseen."

Shipping water, one of the heaviest goods on Earth, from Fiji to anywhere and acting like this is a great thing... that company ought to be the first to be choked out by global warming.

I would boycott Trump companies, but they go bankrupt too fast and are too tacky to want anything they make anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale.

Apocalyptic customer service. Refused a warranty claim on seat-tube-top-tube junction because my 'seat had been too high'. Apparently the max extension line in on the seatpost had to be below the seat tube slot or some such crap. I've always had max line at top of seat tube. Bike shop had a WTF moment - but it's deep in the owner's manual. Cause (according to a friend with PhD in Materials Science who's also a fabricator) was poor weld penetration.

Cannondale's suggestion was to give me a discount on a new bike. So, I spend more money on a bike by their lights that cannot be fitted to me. And will be breaking soon. And I'll have to buy ANOTHER new one.

I break frames - always. I've broken every bike I've ever owned, and every road bike was at the seat stay to rear dropout junction - chromo, alloy, carbon. Every time it's been warrantied. Other than Cannondale.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McDonalds and other fast food burgers if I have a choice- the price has become nearly as high as going out to an actual restaurant

BP gasoline- we all remember

Zipp even if I had the money

Dunkin Donuts- worst coffee ever (I should be ashamed as a New Englander but it’s true)

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every once in a while I try to do a non-WTC year. Hardly a real boycott, just trying to counterbalance market dominance that has become too big.

Also any sponsor actively supporting/promoting dopers. Not that I actively research that, but whenever I somehow become aware of such cases it is definitely a deterrent from that brand.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
ripple wrote:
fulla wrote:

Just saying

You have experience?
Sure, haven't you?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you boycott any products? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yuengling is the oldest American Brewery in continuous Operation. I not only enjoy their beer, I'm mad their distribution chain desires seems to be like that of In N Out. They won't go past the Mississippi. So I'm only slowly drinking a case of cans I have.

Honestly, not to devolve this conversation. Dicks is most definitely not pro-2nd Amendment. Do I get enjoyment out of shopping there, not really. It's more of a last resort or only go to the Mall type deal. However, their product offering has done more to deter me than anything. Because you're right, going there to purchase firearms was kind of meh if you were looking into anything beyond shotguns and pistols. But this is more about removing an easy distribution mechanism from the American people. Has REI ever carried firearms or ammo? I don't remember back in the 90s if they did. I wear mostly Hokas these days and the only Hoka they got are fishing hooks.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two big Italian cycling companies that have had multiple poor customer service/warranty issues for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like people boycott companies for the most ridiculous reason these days. Nike, NFL, Chick-fil-a, Giro, etc. boycotts all just seem silly to me. I buy the products that give me the most value for my money and the best customer experience. I couldn't care less the political beliefs of the owner, who is featured in commercials, or what other products that company does/doesn't offer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next