Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Kitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Trying to save some money by not having to replace all the bars,so I get that but in the long run it seems like it may have a negative impact on revenue (maybe not). I know that I can't wait until April. Got a race in May. If that's the case I will fork over for a new cockpit (or bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Runninfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in a bit of an awkward spot as I bought mine secondhand (but not used) 2 years ago. I managed to track down the shop it was purchased from and they are going to fit the new parts. However they were told the fix wouldn't be available until the end of April!!

Guess I don't have to much of a leg to stand on but may speak to my local concept store or Specialized (based in the UK) as this still doesn't seem good enough. Seatpost clamps crack ages ago and I am praying they hold
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Runninfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runninfool wrote:
+1

Trying to save some money by not having to replace all the bars,so I get that but in the long run it seems like it may have a negative impact on revenue (maybe not). I know that I can't wait until April. Got a race in May. If that's the case I will fork over for a new cockpit (or bike).

All,

I don't know where this April comment came from, but it didn't come from Specialized. Anyone who has not been supported, please PM me and we'll make sure you're taken care of. Many others have PM'd me and they're being set up by our Rider Care teams now.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 19 y/o son is on his way to Havasu for the MOUNTAIN COLLEGIATE TRIATHLON CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS.

(yes, I just cut/pasted that title!). He lives in Flagstaff, has been training this week in Colorado Springs. I'm in California. We heard about the recall yesterday. He really wants to ride. How bad is the damage? I can't imagine he'll be able to get a fix between now and Saturday - WWSTD?

He really wants to race - how many incidents have happened with this part?

He's out of pocket for all the costs of the race - travel, hotel, entries, but the bigger issue is that he really wants to race. I really want him safe.

Can somebody help put this recall into perspective for us??

Linda
~Still recovering from IMLT
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [velcromom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few cases of this kind out there, I've seen a few photos. When the failure does occur it is the single bolt that attaches the extension bracket to the half moon shaped piece. On the diagram issued by Specialized, you'll see the two bolts that clamp the extension bars. In between those two bolts, you'll see there is another bolt. It's this bolt that fails. There is one for the left extension and one for the right.

Clearly the ideal situation is to get the bar setup changed out for a different design (PM Mark, I'm sure he'll do his best) but if that's not possible and you need to race, here's what I would check:

1. Remove this bolt from each side of the aerobar and check for corrosion or any deformity. If you see any signs of either, there's a higher risk of failure. The older/more used your Shiv the more likely this is.
2. Consider how you ride the bike when on the extensions. If you pull up or push down on the extensions, you will stress this bolt and there's a higher risk of failure. If you simply rest your weight on the extensions you won't be stressing this bolt and you'll likely be ok. Note that the base bars are not affected and you can sprint/climb/yank on them as much as you want.

If you see only light corrosion or deformity in the bolt and you pull/push on the bars, I would either: A) Replace the bolt if possible or B) race but be as gentle as I can with the extension bars. If the bolt is super corroded or obviously bent either A) replace the bolt, B) pull out of the race or C) make sure I have a good dental/health plan.

Given that Specialized have issued a stop ride notice, I'm not sure you'd have any legal comeback if you rode these bars and had an accident but I'm an engineer not a lawyer.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Matt101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt101 wrote:
Given that Specialized have issued a stop ride notice, I'm not sure you'd have any legal comeback if you rode these bars and had an accident...

This is the concern. I mentioned the same earlier in the thread. My belief is that the stop sale notice would allow Specialized to avoid liability should something happen.

Velcromon - given your short timeline you could also try calling Specialized (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/contact-us / 1-877-808-8154 or 408-779-6229) to request a solution that allows the bars to be immediately replaced. Good luck. There are few of us in similar situations.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [velcromom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try to heed specialized's stop notice as much as possible.
in the alternative, and im not suggesting it, but i have heard and seen this work like a charm:

1. use some gritty sandpaper and rough up those two pieces that mate with one another so the edges of each have some bite.
2. use some carbon paste on those same two faces that mate so there is more gripping power
3. go to a place like boltdepot.com or mcmaster, and get a 6mm x 1mm x 20mm (though the 6x1x25 fit also, in the grade class 12.9
12.9 is probably one of the strongest bolts you can buy.
adhere to torque specs but that 12.9 shoudl give you some added comfort that the bolt head wont shear or tear.

again, one shoudl really comply with specialized stop sale/stop use suggestion, but if i were racing this weekend, thats what id do.
i did all the above to my bike last year and never had a single failure. i just replaced the bolts with new bolts for no other than reason than they are like 25 cents each x 2. i know i have new bolts with no corrosion, no deformity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized has been really great working with us - both the headquarters in Morgan Hill, and the Utah office. The LBS in Flagstaff made a valiant effort - but didn't have all the right parts, even after the boy made it into the shop just under the cutoff time.....

But there was a pro cyclist (from the east coast!) in the shop....working out a shoe issue, I think......and he offered his bike to my son. REALLY. They swapped out the wheels, and signed a form, and Zach is on the road to the race. Not his bike, but it's a bike, and he'll race. I'm blown away by the generosity of this stranger. I'll name him if he's okay with it......

And Specialized has promised a fix before he has to get it on the truck for Collegiate Nationals next month.

Thanks for the advice, and the PMs.

~Linda

Linda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really great to hear. Thanks to Mark, we have now been able to open up a good channel of communication with Specialized as well. Similarly, I am thus confident of a temporary fix for Oceanside next weekend followed by a permanent fix when we return.
Last edited by: scobig: Mar 21, 15 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Specialized is working hard to fix the problem With the bikes that are already sold and are inn use.
But how about the bikes that are to be delivered this year ?

I pre ordered a S-Works frame kit 17th November With delivery date set to 20th February. That was postponed to 13 Mars but before that it got postponed again to earliest 1th May....
I can understand that the shop cant deliver the bike With the stop sale notice...but that is for the handlebar, not the frame....some People have spare parts or even a Nice shop that can lend the buyer a handlebar while waiting for the fix....
But 2 1/2 month delayed and the store still does not know for sure about the ETA of the frame kit ??

Cae.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Cae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad some of you are getting resolution, I've been getting the runaround since this started and am still not riding.

I've missed 2 races and likely won't be doing my next race.

To say that I am frustrated would be an understatement.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [BocaIvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Boca,

I have Shiv that is affected by this recall, so I've been following this very closely. Have you contacted Mark directly? He's mentioned numerous times in this thread that if you are in need to reach out to him. Perhaps, he can arrange something so you won't have to miss your next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth - I just installed the low stack kit last night and it's really a much cleaner design than the original "pivot" design. I had issues with my bars getting out of alignment a couple times when hitting big bumps and this solution definitely solves that (along with the risk of a broken pivot bolt).

I bought the kit a couple weeks before the recall came out when I was messing with my position. I was riding with the old design and taking my chances, but figured it's not worth the risk when I had the kit sitting in my parts bin. I hesitated installing it because you lose the ability to adjust reach and also lose the ability to adjust the aerobar angle independent from the base bar. You can adjust the stack with the same spacers used on the original design.

Anyway, I'm guessing that specialized is making these kits as fast as possible, but I thought it was worth sharing my experience on the install.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Hey Boca,

I have Shiv that is affected by this recall, so I've been following this very closely. Have you contacted Mark directly? He's mentioned numerous times in this thread that if you are in need to reach out to him. Perhaps, he can arrange something so you won't have to miss your next race.

Yes, I PM'd him Friday afternoon and hoping to hear from him Monday or Tuesday.

I'm just hoping to get an appropriate resolution as soon as possible at this point. I'm just tired of the back and forth I've experienced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A huge thank you to the pro cyclist that loaned my son his bike - Timothy Rugg. An incredibly thoughtful thing to do!

Zach didn't have the race he wanted to have - but he DID get to race!

Now we just hope that the bike gets fixed before Collegiate Nationals......

Linda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBS says they have heard nothing and to check Specialized site. Anyone hear anything new or updates? The site is not helpful either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS said I probably know as much as they do - they are at the mercy of Specialized on this! We talked and I explained my concerns with specific dates of training camps and races and they have ordered a Profile bar to replace the stock set which they will replace and then do a fit for me. The squeaky wheel gets greased - the owner of the store rides a Shiv so was sympathetic to the situation as he has the same problem. LBS - great attentive customer service. Specialized - ????????
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is ridiculous. :(

Talked to the actual LBS guy who received and built my shiv when I bought it. He said he'd find out more about the recall. I heard nothing from him for a couple of weeks. I don't know if the delay is with them or with Specialized. Contacted him again. He told me to just bring the bike in and so-and-so is the warranty person and he'll take care of it. So I did that. Dealt with a different LBS guy. He said he'd call Spec for more info and call me back. No one called me back.

What am I supposed to do? Can I please know two things:

What is the official fix, besides the low stack kit or aftermarket bars for free? Is it just a new bolt, and maybe the base part the bolt screws into?

And can I just have the replacement parts I'll replace them myself. It'd only take 15 minutes. I work on my own bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Cae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cae wrote:
Looks like Specialized is working hard to fix the problem With the bikes that are already sold and are inn use.

It is year 2015 not 1870 dawn to dusk work on a subsidence farm. Today we need to work smart not hard. They are not working smart or this would have been done a month ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least they are putting forth a good gesture to keep you as a customer. That is commendable. I asked my shop about new bars and they said they would order me a set (on my dime) and in the same breath the say they want to be there for me. Interested in what bars you got. Aeria?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would appear that the fix will be a modified low stack kit - but, and purely an educated guess here, they don't want to make official announcement until they have however many low stack kits they need to fix all the bikes and it is taking time to ramp up production. As many have said it is not the actual fix that concerns me but the unknown timing - we all put in a lot of time and effort for our hobby and I for one didn't want to be looking for a solution to this the week before a race because I kept waiting for Specialized to fix this and then nothing comes through. How many of us have our races planned out six months to a year in advance. In any industry problems happen, it is how you respond to them that people remember. In this social media society the absence of communication leaves a bad impression.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told that Specialized is waiting on the CPSC (the government to approve the fix) and that they were at the mercy of the government on this...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shop is great - it is at times like this where having gone in and bought items from them that I could have bought cheaper elsewhere but fosters a good relationship pays dividends. To be honest I don't even know which bars at this point - whichever model is a comparable swap, I wasn't looking for a free upgrade just the same quality and position.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then we are all up s**t creek and should plan on an end of summer fix - because one thing government doesn't do is quick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you contacted Mark yet... He hooked me up with specialized customer care and they contacted my LBS and arranged for me to get an equivalent third party aero bar setup if necessary...

Joel
Quote Reply

Prev Next