Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I am really surprised by is the lack on consistency of information from both Specialized and the bike shops - it seems like everyone is having different experiences and getting different info. I was told, like others on the forum, they would not order parts until the bike was brought it. It seems like you experienced something altogether different.

I am going to give Specialized a call and see if there are other options but I have to believe they are getting inundated with calls like this. In the grand scheme of things this isn't that big a deal - I just wish the timing was different.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MDM1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDM1978 wrote:
I dropped my Shiv off yesterday. At that time I was told that it could be until early May when they have the parts due to the new kits being back ordered. I was told the soonest it would be is May 1.When I told them I'll just keep the bike until the kit is in, I was told that once the bike is in the store they cannot let it leave because of the rules of the recall and potential safety issues. My LBS made it very clear these were the rules dictated by Specialized - they seemed pretty frustrated, too.

It's April in Minnesota and I can finally get on the bike only to have it held due to the recall. With the first races starting in early May this is pretty frustrating that Specialized can't get parts to their dealers quickly. If I would have known my bike is going to be held I would have just ridden it as is or bought a new set of bars. The $100 credit does not make up for having my bike stuck at the LBS for at least 3 weeks.

I really like my bike but after these issues I'll have to seriously consider if I'll ever buy another Specialized again.

That has to be a shop problem, not Specialized. I dropped my bike off Friday and was told to pick it up Tuesday. No hassle or wait. I stopped in Saturday and they had already measured it (I changed some things since the fit) and were ready to go.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - care to share either who your LBS is or where they are located? My LBS claims to be the largest Specialized dealer in the country and they can't get the kits apparently.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MDM1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there another LBS you could go to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Babylon Bike, Babylon NY.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get a resolution? My experience was vastly different than yours. I took my bike in the week of April 6th for measurements. They ordered the kit that week and they received the kit last Friday and I took the bike in Friday to get it fixed. I got the bike back on Tuesday April 14th. I really cannot complain because from the time the fix was approved on March 26th to getting the bike back fixed it was only 20 days and in terms of governmental recalls that is rocket fast.

On a separate note I really like the new setup better than the old setup because the extensions don't come back as far as they used to and it gives me much more room for my legs and they were able to replicate my fit exactly.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a LBS problem, it's a back order problem. Because I have races coming up soon, I was able to finagle a deal where I could get replacement aerobars for roughly the equivalent price. So I had my LBS order Profile Design aerobars, which will get to the shop in a matter of days vs weeks. I may have to pay a bit but I don't mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a race Saturday and unfortunately I've had a different experience. I brought my bike in a couple weeks ago and my bike shop since then hasn't given any updates unless I got in touch with them. I've let them know about the race and again this week, but they haven't given me any indication that the new parts will be there, nor have they offered to do a swap with an equivalent bar. I ended up having to go to another bike shop and buy a new aerobar out of pocket, and they're putting it on my Shiv today.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [cme18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called Specialized on Monday and explained my situation. They called me back yesterday and told me they shipped a new kit to my LBS that should be there by the end of the week.

Specialized was really helpful and he did explain that after the initial production run of kits they are low on supply. There is apparently a new run being manufactured that should be ready towards the end of the month.

I didn't really get a clear answer on if the LBS can keep the bike due to the recall. I explained to the guys at Specialized that I have another set of bars that I would swap out if I had known it would take a month. At that point, they were willing to call the shop and get me the bike back. However, since they had the parts I'm going to now wait.

I'd make sure you call Specialized - sounds like you already incurred the expense of the new bar but maybe they would be willing to help. When I called rider care they were really great and called me back with a solution in 24 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention that my shop did not receive the spacers yet, only the low stack kit. Hang in there guys!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS had to take a pic of my stock bars and my serial number on the frame to order parts, then it will be 2 weeks to get the parts. So now im in the 2 week period. Is this normal? I dont see anyone else having this experience...

Also, they said something about a $100 rebate from Specialized on Spec products in addition to the fix. Is this accurate? They said I could buy anything Spec, even a helmet or something, and send in the receipt and they would send me $100. Has anyone else heard this?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [75000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have received a letter from Specialized about the recall and that has the $100 credit. Once the fix is done, you can buy anything Specialized with that credit. You shouldn't need to pay and then get reimbursed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I wasn't the original owner so never received a letter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the letter:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/images/glinks/articles/WhatWeNoticed/LetterSpecConsumers.PDF

I think in your case, the LBS did not have that bike on record so they have to go through the process and order the part. Since I'm the original owner, my LBS had my sale on record and ordered it once they found it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called specalized and they told me that the store would take care of everything and that they had forms they could fill out which would then get the Store's Dealer account a credit of $100. As such, the customer didn't have to do anything. My shop followed through and I picked up some shooes on sale + $100 credit for my trouble with the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been working with my LBS for about three weeks now (I've sent them pics of my current setup and the serial# from the BB); Specialized has told them the parts should be in in another week. A week ago I got an email from the shop about the recall, and four days ago I got a letter from Specialized about the recall that mentioned the $100.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75000 wrote:
My LBS had to take a pic of my stock bars and my serial number on the frame to order parts, then it will be 2 weeks to get the parts. So now im in the 2 week period. Is this normal? I dont see anyone else having this experience...

Also, they said something about a $100 rebate from Specialized on Spec products in addition to the fix. Is this accurate? They said I could buy anything Spec, even a helmet or something, and send in the receipt and they would send me $100. Has anyone else heard this?

I dropped my shiv off at the store on Monday to deal with this. I am the first person in who is going through this process. They have done 3 other repairs where the clients just purchased new zipp bars and didn't go through the recall. So the person who took my bike didn't know the details. I got a call later from the head mechanic and was told - same as you - two weeks. So you aren't alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I told my LBS I would not buy the bike until it was fixed. Three days later poof my wife's new bike was ready with the kit installed. Becuase of the backlog I wonder if some shops are holding kits for new customers and putting existing ones at the bottom of the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No news in Europe... !?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been waiting for almost 9 weeks for a solution for this and my lbs still don't know what to do....

And if I am to replace the handlebar I have to take care of all the cost myself.

Pretty frustrated to be honest.

Cae.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Cae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cae wrote:
I've been waiting for almost 9 weeks for a solution for this and my lbs still don't know what to do....

And if I am to replace the handlebar I have to take care of all the cost myself.

Pretty frustrated to be honest.

Cae.

You shouldn't have to pay for the cost. Your LBS should be dealing with the Specialized representative. Have them explain the situation and ask for replacement aerobars at a comparable price. Customers who get new kits receive a 100 credit for the hassle, LBSs are compensated for the repair cost, but your 100 credit can be waved if you choose to go the route of new aerobars. Because of the wait for the new kits, I chose to get new aerobars and they will be in the shop in a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I lucked out as they gave me both.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [phenious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS replaced the Specialized base bar with a Profile Design T2 Wing and new arm rests. They kept the original Specialized extensions. This is what they said the Specialized recommended proposal is for folks with set back arm rests.

I don't think the T2 Wing looks as clean as the original Specialized equipment. The ports for the brake cables are much further from the stem, requiring cable ties to route the brake cables. I guess in the end it's functionally equivalent so I shouldn't complain too much. The only other option with my fit, would be to go to a smaller frame size.

I did use the $100 toward an Evade helmet :).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [kokketiel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kokketiel wrote:
I did use the $100 toward an Evade helmet :).

Have you tried the Evade yet? My wife needs an aero race helmet and she isn't fired up about a normal tail wing style unit. I was thinking the Evade might be a middle ground.

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Shiv has been at the LBS going into the 3rd week now. I got an update from them a few days ago. They are still waiting for Spec to send the the parts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next