Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be lighter some one IMNZ post a photo when you get it
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Apr 30, 15 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickey wrote:
Yeah, the only positional change should be if you use the 'tiltability' of the clamp.. I have mine tilted up a wee bit, but reckon I'll be able to just tilt the base bar to get that position back.
so you can still raise using spacers, just can't tilt?
Does anyone have a picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see the update for the remedy for the problem. I can't tell if I will need to cut my extensions or do they extend back like currently. Anyone have any ideas? Also be interesting to see how cable exits the back. Anyone got pics of what the fox looks like in real life?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Runninfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runninfool wrote:
I see the update for the remedy for the problem. I can't tell if I will need to cut my extensions or do they extend back like currently. Anyone have any ideas? Also be interesting to see how cable exits the back. Anyone got pics of what the fox looks like in real life?

Based on that notice it sounds like they are fixing this issue by replacing the pivot with the low stack kit. You are still able to adjust height via spacers, but the extensions will need to be permanently cut to fit. The extensions fit "into" the low stack clamp, but do not pass through the back of the bracket.

Funny, because I recently bought the low stack kit and I've been holding off installing it because I'm not sure I have my reach dialed in.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it looks like the fix is official.
Does anyone have experience with this? Besides from needing to have bike shop cut extensions, and rerun cables, here is my real question. Does any of the low stack options, have the exact same height as the part they are replacing, so I can recreate, current position without making other adjustments?
Any other thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.specialized.com/...IA/pdf/aerobar-5.pdf

So the fix is the low stack deal. I used to have this on a older shiv and it is a solid set up. It does drop you a little more but the pads can still move. You do have to cut the extensions I bet they will give you new ones if needed. Makes sense this would work and from the diagram you can raise with stack spacers from what I can see. Only issues would be angling bars.
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Apr 30, 15 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this low stack clamp the same as the one the Hoff was using:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Specialized/The_Specialized_Shiv_of_The_Hoff_4682.html

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bamatriguy wrote:
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/aerobar-5.pdf
So the fix is the low stack deal. I used to have this on a older shiv and it is a solid set up. It does drop you a little more but the pads can still move. You do have to cut the extensions I bet they will give you new ones if needed. Makes sense this would work and from the diagram you can raise with stack spacers from what I can see. Only issues would be angling bars.

thats what I thought as well, but I was jumping to conclusions. what that PDF says is "To further clarify the extension mountain hardware pieces Specialized will be replacing, please refer to the graphic below." so they are just clarifying which parts fall under the future part replacement program. The actual solution is not known yet by my dealer or announced yet by Specialized to my knowledge. Looking forward to a fix though. I did a TT this weekend with mine and was thinking the whole way "what if this thing breaks now, i probably couldnt claim anything because they told me not to ride" hehe. But yea, not to ride a shiv is a crazy request, I pity those who follow that rule and dont have a second or third bike, which is probably nobody on slowtwitch xD.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That has got to be a temporary quick fix for IM NZ athletes and other southern hemisphere riders with races imminent. The real fix ought to give us equivalent functionality and this clearly does not.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if it is full time fix but I will say that that the low stack deal is solid. It looks cool and has very similar functionality. I do get that something else is coming as well but this maybe it. I would if mark has anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know two people who have sworn off Specialized for good and moved to Trek as a result of this...one of whom picks up his SC 9 series en route to Taupo after work tomorrow. The timing literally could not have been worse. Our local Trek distributor has been saying he's never sold as many SC setups in one month before.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [davecochrane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I called my LBS, and was informed the low stack solution isn't officially the fix. The fix is still in the works, and will not be released untill 3/9/15.
Anybody else hear same or different feedback?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called my LBS last week. They are a rather large Spec dealer and a well known shop. They never heard of this recall. I sent them the link on the Spec website. They said they'd ask their Spec rep. That was a week ago. Still no word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
So I called my LBS, and was informed the low stack solution isn't officially the fix. The fix is still in the works, and will not be released untill 3/9/15.

Same...that is what is on the dealer site. Wondering if low stack is for "urgent" situations and the permanent fix is going to be something different.

However, it won't matter...because you couldn't order the low stack option right now anyway.....already out of stock. Have a bad feeling about this....weather is getting ready to warm up, spring races in the USA approaching quickly. I have now had a faulty seat post x 2, and now a non-rideable bike again.

The only good news is that Specialized has been very cool about replacing things and covering things with a warranty. Bummed its happening though.

My first tri of the season is in 39 days.
Last edited by: NeverEnough: Mar 3, 15 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:

Yep, I'm on hold until they take care of racers......I am on my trainer for another two months so I can ride it off. I'm a little curious and puzzled how this would lead someone to completely jump ship on a bike company, because there have been issues with other companies as well, so Specialized is hardly the only case in recent years.....maybe I'm missing the point, but my panties are hardly in a wad.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
That has got to be a temporary quick fix for IM NZ athletes and other southern hemisphere riders with races imminent. The real fix ought to give us equivalent functionality and this clearly does not.

The quick fix for IMNZ is that Specialized bought all of the Profile distributors basebars and clipons yesterday...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to a dealer today and it is going to be something simple like four bolts not the low stack
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Apr 30, 15 18:22
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

The quick fix for IMNZ is that Specialized bought all of the Profile distributors basebars and clipons yesterday...

Seems like an expensive fix if they ultimately are just going to either provide the low stack option or a replacement bolt kit. Seems like they could mobilize both solutions fairly quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh this is SAD. No news for priority support at Ironman 70.3 Subic Bay this Sunday :(
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the problem is CPSC image that the government taking some time to get something done. Not Specs fault CPSC takes so long to approve something.
Last edited by: bamatriguy: Apr 30, 15 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting aside the potential of them having a solution that uses the existing hardware....would anyone who has welding experience know if one could just a) get their angles sorted out and then b) slap 2,3 tack tig welds on there and be done with it.?
i assume the piece is alloy and if you grind off the annodizng, id imagine you could tig weld it?no?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spgtwice wrote:
Putting aside the potential of them having a solution that uses the existing hardware....would anyone who has welding experience know if one could just a) get their angles sorted out and then b) slap 2,3 tack tig welds on there and be done with it.?
i assume the piece is alloy and if you grind off the annodizng, id imagine you could tig weld it?no?

Tig weld your aero bar hardware?

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the concern is that bolt doesnt hold.
the low stack kit is like $20.00/kit.
if one was super conerned about their existing kit, get your angles set up, use the faulty bolt to hold it inplace and yeah, thats my though, weld that bitch solid. lose any adjustability but you dont fall off the bike.
and when they have the fix you replace.
my question is, can that pivot piece where the two alloy rounded sections mate together, can that be tig welded?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it can....but taking a blow torch to your bike sounds like a terrible idea. You're better off just using scotch weld or some kind of industrial hardener that can be removed later.

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
I'm sure it can....but taking a blow torch to your bike sounds like a terrible idea. You're better off just using scotch weld or some kind of industrial hardener that can be removed later.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't have much welding experience....

There aren't any "blow torches" involved in TIG welding, but it probably could be used in this case. Things like Scotch Weld are really adhesives and would not work in an application like this with so much stress on such a small joint.
Quote Reply

Prev Next