Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're using the parts "X'd" out on this document, then your aerobars are affected. If by changing extensions you mean you're using different aerobars (clipons or otherwise), then you're clear.

http://www.specialized.com/...f/03022015-rider.pdf

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I came here this morning for my update because my dealer knew about the recall but didn't think there was yet a fix. I was just double checking.

It was interesting at my lbs because the man I spoke to was clearly stressed out about selling the shivs with a known issue. But they were still on the floor to be sold.

I'm glad there is a fix coming. I'm also glad that I have a road bike to use in the meantime.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a shiv expert last week not knowing about this issue. Is it recommended to return back to store or hold off until a solution is available. I'm pretty happy with it so far and have just been riding on trainer so far.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
CJAC wrote:
I sure wish Mark could just confirm, this ultimately will just be a hardware change, for the 95% of us not looking to race these next couple of weekends. I'm sure it is a lot of bolts, but that should be easy to get, and affects nothing else in my set up or position. Anything else creates multiple challenges. Even the low stack solution doesn't seem to allow for as high of a stack, as you can create with the current hardware. Going to a whole new bar setup, is a whole new challenge.

On a seperate note, I do find it concerning that both of my local bike shops, have sold SHIVs, and have them on the floor and are selling SHIVs right now, have never heard of this issue, until brought forward by customers.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the productive discussion. Our team is doing all we can. If you're not being taken care of appropriately, please PM me.

I cannot confirm an approved global solution today due to continued work with CPSC. The notifications on Specialized.com here are the most up to date that we can provide.

If you have a retailer who seems to not have been notified, please PM me so I can reach out to them directly.

Thank you for your support and loyalty as I know we've made all of your lives more challenging despite our targets of keeping you safe on the road.

Mark

Mark,

Are you still expecting to release a fix on Monday?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
CJAC wrote:
I sure wish Mark could just confirm, this ultimately will just be a hardware change, for the 95% of us not looking to race these next couple of weekends. I'm sure it is a lot of bolts, but that should be easy to get, and affects nothing else in my set up or position. Anything else creates multiple challenges. Even the low stack solution doesn't seem to allow for as high of a stack, as you can create with the current hardware. Going to a whole new bar setup, is a whole new challenge.

On a seperate note, I do find it concerning that both of my local bike shops, have sold SHIVs, and have them on the floor and are selling SHIVs right now, have never heard of this issue, until brought forward by customers.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for the productive discussion. Our team is doing all we can. If you're not being taken care of appropriately, please PM me.

I cannot confirm an approved global solution today due to continued work with CPSC. The notifications on Specialized.com here are the most up to date that we can provide.

If you have a retailer who seems to not have been notified, please PM me so I can reach out to them directly.

Thank you for your support and loyalty as I know we've made all of your lives more challenging despite our targets of keeping you safe on the road.

Mark

Mark,

There will be another update, but I cannot confirm if a fix will be announced by then or not.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Mark

Mark,

There will be another update, but I cannot confirm if a fix will be announced by then or not.

Mark

Bummer, but appreciate the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
If you're using the parts "X'd" out on this document, then your aerobars are affected. If by changing extensions you mean you're using different aerobars (clipons or otherwise), then you're clear.

http://www.specialized.com/...f/03022015-rider.pdf

Mark

Also asked this....

Thanks...can you confirm whether or not this is a "do not ride your bike until this is addressed" issue? I am hearing different things from different shops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Mark

Mark,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Are we still expecting an update today? Sorry to be impatient. Weather is breaking, and I need to get out of the basement ASAP.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the latest on Specialized's website is pretty much confirmation that the fix will involve the low stack clamps with some new hardware. However, the bad news is don't hold your breath because they will make the next announcement on March 16th. Looks like they are having difficulty in sourcing the parts before they announce the fix is in and people rush to get the fix made. There goes my weekend prep riding in the Texas Hill Country this weekend - I guess I'll stay on the roadie a while longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can't be that serious as the dealer I bought mine off last year hasn't bothered to contact me about this. I'm in the UK, but it's the same aerobar. When I phoned they said they were probably going to contact me when they got the bits in a couple of weeks
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the UK. I called the UK office today. I would do the same if your LBS hasn't contacted you.
I think if there was 'an issue' the warranty and any harm might no be covered, due to the recall and karfuffle

http://www.gsterb.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [GsterB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GsterB wrote:
I'm in the UK. I called the UK office today. I would do the same if your LBS hasn't contacted you.
I think if there was 'an issue' the warranty and any harm might no be covered, due to the recall and karfuffle

Not too bothered as I have now replaced the bars anyway. Just a bit odd that they didn't bother to contact me when they have my address and this is supposedly a safety issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering at what point I should expect to be able to train on my Shiv. I have a race April 12th and haven't ridden it since IMCHOO. Would like to put some miles on it but the delays on a fix are getting in the way. Is there a link to the announcement from today??
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latest from Specialized is at: http://www.specialized.com/...pport/safety-notices

QUOTE:
Aerobar Extension Mounting Hardware: 3/9/15 (March, 2015)
http://www.specialized.com/...f/03092015-rider.pdf
Dear Specialized Rider,
Our primary objective is to keep you safe and our instructions still remain unchanged.
You should not be using your Carbon Aerobars with Aero Stem or Hydroformed Alloy Aerobars until we are able to provide replacement extension mounting hardware.
The hardware we’ve proposed to solve the issue is a combination of the Shiv Low-Stack Extension Clamps and supplementary bolts and spacers that, when used in the appropriate configuration, will place the extensions and pads in exactly the same position for the vast majority of our riders.
This hardware does eliminate some features the original hardware offered and some positions may not be able to be replicated. In those instances, our Rider Care team will be happy to work with you and your SBC retailer.
We are continuing to work closely with the CPSC on approval. In anticipation of that, we are sourcing all the parts necessary that will get you back using your bars as soon as possible.
At this time we do not have a concrete time frame on when we can start delivering parts to retailers, but will keep you and our retailers updated as we receive more information.
Please visit the Safety Notices page on Specialized.com for official information, and look for our next update on Monday, March 16, if not sooner.
Thank you again for your patience and support.
Specialized Road Product & Rider Care Teams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

As i have followed this thread since the start, I always highlight if we'll be supported with the new fix at Ironman 70.3 Philippines last Sunday (just like at Taupo). However, when we arrived there Specialized Philippines said stocks didn't arrived on time so the quick fix is to glued the mount screw and tighten it. Well, we didn't have any other choice but to accept it and pray nothing bad will happen.

To sum it all up, I am extremely disappointed we were left behind by Specialized at Ironman Philippines. I mean, it doesn't have to be a full distance or half IM distance as long as safety is priority, right? A lot of shivs were out that day racing. If I had known earlier, I would have changed to different aerobar after the notice announcement. sigh.
Last edited by: paulbanday: Mar 9, 15 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [rocketfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's certainly not an ideal answer from specialized. Bummer.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I am not alone...but I have an out of state race in 32 days, can't train on my race bike and there is no known date of a solution. Hopefully we hear something (positive) soon!! Pretty expensive piece of machinery to be collecting dust when I should be riding it!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not happy with the proposed permanent solution. I don't think the low stack bar kit will allow me to place my BTA bottle where I want it. I also think that the pad to aero bar vertical distance cannot be replicated. AND, because the aero bars needs to be cut to length... I won't be able to make changes in the future and the Shiv resale value just plummeted because the next buyer will have diff fit requirement and will need to spend money to get a new bar. I'm contemplating changing out everything. I wonder if Spec will reimb me for that. Carbon bar setups won't be cheap. Spec's solution feels more appropriate as a temporary fix so that they can get the right hardware in place later. Remember what SRAM did with their hyro brake recall?

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand Spec is making all kinds of effort here. And it is appreciated. But we need results. My LBS never heard of this recall and they don't know when the parts will become available, or in fact what those parts will look like. They are a Spec dealer and a large shop one of the largest in the US.

This group here is probably more informed than anyone, and yet we don't know for sure how this is going to be resolved. Low stack kit for everyone? Or can we fix the existing hardware? How hard would it be to manufacture new bolts or other mounting hardware?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [landho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
landho wrote:
I'm not happy with the proposed permanent solution. I don't think the low stack bar kit will allow me to place my BTA bottle where I want it. I also think that the pad to aero bar vertical distance cannot be replicated. AND, because the aero bars needs to be cut to length... I won't be able to make changes in the future and the Shiv resale value just plummeted because the next buyer will have diff fit requirement and will need to spend money to get a new bar. I'm contemplating changing out everything. I wonder if Spec will reimb me for that. Carbon bar setups won't be cheap. Spec's solution feels more appropriate as a temporary fix so that they can get the right hardware in place later. Remember what SRAM did with their hyro brake recall?
I'm almost in the same boat. Need to ride to get ready for IMFL 70.3.
being 6'8", I need as much stack in the bars as possible, and don't believe this solution will ultimately offer that. So if that's the case and another bar set up is needed they should make that available now. I know that's expensive but so was my SWORKS Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
landho wrote:

Yeah I agree and am in a similar situation. I have my A race coming up in <7 weeks and I need to get out on the roads. I really hope this is a temporary fix because as it is this fix absolutely stinks. and
My LBS has no idea on the timetable for parts and that is inexcusable (on specialized part). This puts me at the point where I will probably have to get a new setup which costs lots of money that I don't have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Oceanside 70.3 in 17 days. As soon as the stop sale notice came to light a couple of weeks ago I ordered a different set of aerobars (from Shimano). I was told the aerobars would arrive in two weeks (today) and, having had to send my Shiv back on two occasions due to failures with the seat post screws (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._latest_reply;so=ASC) I preferred to incur the additional cost than suffer again through the uncertainty of a Specialized fix immediately before a race.

My LBS was able to get me the aerobars at a reduced price and I accepted the upgrade on the basis that the Specialized fix would not indicate a design flaw in the aerobars or limit the adjustability in a material way. Unfortunately, it now turns out that the Shimano aerobars won't even make it to the US until Sunday (from Japan) and the best Shimano can do is claim they will arrive in Canada (where I reside) sometime next week.

Damned if you do...
Last edited by: scobig: Mar 10, 15 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the Specialized Update for the Mooloolaba Tri this weekend:
QUOTE:

Out engineers have developed replacement aerobar extension mounting brackets of a different design to the current set-up.
This new mount eliminates the potential problem and is a permanent measure.
The new mount secures the extensions in a horizontal position by two bolts and removes the aerobar extension angle adjustment.

Is there anyone going to Mooloolaba that can post pictures of this setup ?????

Quote Reply
Post deleted by rocketfrog [ In reply to ]
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what to do but time is a wasting. Races are approaching. Hope to have a fix soon otherwise might have to get a whole new cockpit or bike for that matter.
Quote Reply

Prev Next