Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluto wrote:
NeverEnough wrote:
Anybody get their bike fixed at Oceanside? Can you post a pic?

Not fixed by Specialized, but this is what the setup looks like with the low stack kit (with a single 20mm spacer)

[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/.../media/bar1.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/.../media/bar2.jpg.html][/url]

Thanks...would you mind taking a picture of how you mounted the bottle cage?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the low stack kit how far aft can you get the arm pads? It looks to me like you are stuck keeping them in line directly above the leading edge of the lower aero bars. Right now, with the original mounting hardware, my arm pads are set back about an inch behind the leading edge and I am afraid this low stack fix may not work.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MNrunner wrote:
With the low stack kit how far aft can you get the arm pads? It looks to me like you are stuck keeping them in line directly above the leading edge of the lower aero bars. Right now, with the original mounting hardware, my arm pads are set back about an inch behind the leading edge and I am afraid this low stack fix may not work.

You only have the fore/aft and narrow/wide adjustment based on the holes in the pads. If you had the pad clamp centered in your original setup, the pad location options will be the same (except you can't rotate them around the extensions).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
For me the issue is pad setback. With the original bars you could get the pad mounting significantly in front or behind the basebar. With the low stack kit it's fixed in the middle of the basebar. Wondering how they plan to address this?

I'm in the same boat. I was sold a Medium size and I'm at the low end of the reach limit. I already have a super short stem on the bike, so I don't know how this will be addressed in my case. I hope there's not a big fight on my hands to get this fixed to my satisfaction.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the fix have started rolling out?
Has anyone had their Shiv fixed by specialized?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [intown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
intown wrote:
Does anyone know if the fix have started rolling out?
Has anyone had their Shiv fixed by specialized?

Yes, they started shipping low stack parts last week. I had my bike fixed last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS tells me that the kit was ordered but they do not know when it will arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any success for getting this repair made if their Shiv was purchased used?

FS
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the UK and the local Specialized Concept store were incredibly helpful in sorting mine (secondhand) it was fixed last week and I picked it up yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply and info! Super helpful.

I am in a little different situation.
I have 2014 shiv frame that I am set to upgrade to Di2.
Currently it has a Bontrager / Profile Designs aerobar.
Was hoping to purchase a specialized carbon areobar setup to add at the same time the new Di2 components were put on.
Currently I do not think it is possible to purchase the specialized carbon aerobars.

Hopefully the bars go back on sale soon.

For those who have their bike fixed, can you feel a difference in setup?
Better? Worse?

Thanks! -- Steven
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankis wrote:
Anyone have any success for getting this repair made if their Shiv was purchased used?

FS

It shouldn't matter, just like when a car is under a safety recall. The difference is the DMV knows the current owner of a car and will give that information to the car manufacturer, where Specialized seems to be leaving it up to the LBS and the internet to get the word out, even if you registered your bike online.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS tells me they cannot order the low stack kit from Specialized until I bring my bike in. I asked them to just order the part and I would come in with the bike when when the kit arrives but I keep getting the runaround...not clear if this is coming from just my LBS or Specialized but this is really frustrating.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [intown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
intown wrote:
Thanks for the reply and info! Super helpful.

I am in a little different situation.
I have 2014 shiv frame that I am set to upgrade to Di2.
Currently it has a Bontrager / Profile Designs aerobar.
Was hoping to purchase a specialized carbon areobar setup to add at the same time the new Di2 components were put on.
Currently I do not think it is possible to purchase the specialized carbon aerobars.

Hopefully the bars go back on sale soon.

For those who have their bike fixed, can you feel a difference in setup?
Better? Worse?

Thanks! -- Steven

My LBS replaced my extensions from my old Zipp's to Specialized C-50's....so they are available (or were). The fit is identical to the way I had it except with the low stack option, you cannot get anything with a bend in it short enough to match where my extensions were, so they are about one inch longer than before....which I probably needed anyway considering where my hands laid on the bar. If you use straight extensions (no bend) you could get any length to work).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS explained that they need to do measurements to make sure they got the right kit before they could order the repair kit.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
My LBS explained that they need to do measurements to make sure they got the right kit before they could order the repair kit.

Joel

I don't think that's correct, I think they give you the new kit with a 20 mm riser to get you back to you old position. I could be simplifying it but I didn't need to be re-measured.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [JaxGator80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have already 20mm Riser so i will be at 40 afterwards ??? Strange and not very usefull...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the low stack kit drops you 19mm from the recalled kit, so you'll have 40mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MNrunner, that's crazy! Specialized needs to have a standard operating procedure with their LBS. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today per my LBS I have to bring my Shiv in and they make measurements and hold my bike until the parts are in and installed so I'm looking at a week wait. Said it was a safety issue and I needed to be off my bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [JaxGator80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't remeasure me they measured something around the aero bars but I really did not pay attention to what they were doing because it only took about 5 minutes...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can't really hold your bike hostage for a recall (the same rules apply as to a car recalls)... My LBS did make me come and they took the measurements and I went on my way, it took about 5 minutes...

The main issue is that if you ride the bike and something happens you are really not going to be able to sue Specialized about it because you were riding the bike when they said not to...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped by my LBS today per their request. They took all kinds of measurements and the bikes serial # and sent it off to Specialized. We shall see what I get back.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
I stopped by my LBS today per their request. They took all kinds of measurements and the bikes serial # and sent it off to Specialized. We shall see what I get back.

My bike shop emailed me a form for me to take measurements of my stack/reach etc. It was a body Fit form. I honestly did not feel great about measuring these myself as I'm not 100% certain I'm qualified, but it seemed straightforward enough. I guess they will order the parts based off the form I sent it? Since my LBS is across town, I was ok doing this. Hope it works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dropped my Shiv off yesterday. At that time I was told that it could be until early May when they have the parts due to the new kits being back ordered. I was told the soonest it would be is May 1.When I told them I'll just keep the bike until the kit is in, I was told that once the bike is in the store they cannot let it leave because of the rules of the recall and potential safety issues. My LBS made it very clear these were the rules dictated by Specialized - they seemed pretty frustrated, too.

It's April in Minnesota and I can finally get on the bike only to have it held due to the recall. With the first races starting in early May this is pretty frustrating that Specialized can't get parts to their dealers quickly. If I would have known my bike is going to be held I would have just ridden it as is or bought a new set of bars. The $100 credit does not make up for having my bike stuck at the LBS for at least 3 weeks.

I really like my bike but after these issues I'll have to seriously consider if I'll ever buy another Specialized again.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MDM1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey MDM, I would be extremely frustrated as well. Perhaps you can try reaching out the specialized or Mark directly and see if they could expedite you a set.

My LBS called me earlier last week and told me that the parts had arrived. They had me going a day later. What I will say is the low stack kit is very sharp, while perhaps not worth the anguous, perhaps something to look forward to.
Quote Reply

Prev Next