Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least you have the fix, lots of us are still waiting.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can gladly have "my" low stack kit. A fix that moves my pads 6cm from their current position isn't of much use to me.

I'd hope they would send the kits for bikes that can use that as a solution (the majority), and work out what the option is for the rest of us.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks but my local LBS swears they should be in any day. Pass them on, I'm sure others are desperately looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the bike back today and went for a brief ride. Everything felt the same as far as I can tell, which I'll take as a good thing. I used the $100 credit toward a pair of Specialized road shoes. The process for the credit (as explained by the LBS owner) is that the shop provides the $100 credit on-the-spot to the customer. When it's spent, the shop submits the receipt and some paperwork to Specialized for reimbursement (sort of like a rebate from Specialized to the LBS).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what are people doing about the loss of flexibility in the pad location?

I'd love to be able to move my pads 2 - 3 cm forward, like was possible before the low stack solution.
However, there are not enough mounting locations on the pad base to go any more forward.

Has anybody found a different make/model pad that gives some better positional flexibility?

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some folks I think they have been using a Profile clipon bar (and a Profile basebar). The Prifile T-series bars have almost infinite pad adjustment.

The most adjustable pad I've seen are the Profile F-19 (below). I'm not sure if the bolt spacing is the same as the Specialized pads or not though.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious to know how people are getting specialized to foot the bill for a new profile design basebar or clip-on. Cause ur right I've seen the fix posted as such. And 2. I'm still waiting on my fix and I know my lbs has a pair of the profile designs set up. #fedup!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion!

I had some of the F19s lying around in the parts bin, and gave it a try – the spacing is off by a few millimeters, requiring either a Dremel or a drill to make some modifications to the Profile Design pads. Not a project for tonight, but definitely something I might have to try over the weekend.

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [SPBaldwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shop paid for my low stack kit as well as profile armrests. Side question: Anyone had the seat clamp on their shiv break? Had it happen this weekend...
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
My shop paid for my low stack kit as well as profile armrests. Side question: Anyone had the seat clamp on their shiv break? Had it happen this weekend...

There were numerous issues with the Shiv seat clamp...there is a thread about on here somewhere. What happened? The issues several were having was prevalent when you changed seat height, when you screw the bolts back in, the sleeve they catch on becomes "un-epoxied" in the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the post clamp, the circular bolt/clamp that attaches to saddle rail. I hadn't touched it in a year. It failed and the saddle nose dipped, when I pulled over it was cracked through. Luckly I was a mile from my shop!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS sorted out about five (5) bikes with the profile bar replacement, but this was before Spec came out with the official fix. We all had races and the LBS stepped up and said they would sort this with Spec because they understood our predicament. They sorted their customer out first and then dealt with Specialized, this is where having a good relationship with your LBS and buying some of those items that maybe you could get a bit cheaper on the internet from LBS paid off.

I don't know if this reasoning will work since Spec have issued the fix, even if they haven't sent out all the parts yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
Not the post clamp, the circular bolt/clamp that attaches to saddle rail. I hadn't touched it in a year. It failed and the saddle nose dipped, when I pulled over it was cracked through. Luckly I was a mile from my shop!

Think it was torqued incorrectly?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I finally got my bike back today after almost 4 weeks. Since I was also planning to upgrade to Ui2, I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. Everything seems to work fine, but is there a better way to route the wires? Could just be me, but I thought there would be a tidier way to route the cables. Any thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [ice_berg_slim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts are that you are not buying your wrench enough beer. How many spacers under the stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mount the junction box under the stem with the wire plugs facing forward. The wires from the shifters can directly go directly out of the extensions down to the junction box (note: you should be able to stuff excess cable back into the extension bar). I then have the third wire come up around the stem (on the right side) and zip tie it to the brake cable for a clean "single" wire look.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [JoshTriNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoshTriNW wrote:
Mount the junction box under the stem with the wire plugs facing forward. The wires from the shifters can directly go directly out of the extensions down to the junction box (note: you should be able to stuff excess cable back into the extension bar). I then have the third wire come up around the stem (on the right side) and zip tie it to the brake cable for a clean "single" wire look.

Thanks! I will try that this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. This works well. The only reason I asked about the spacers is that if you have 2 and the "tall" cover over the cable entry points the junction box would fit in there for an even cleaner install. You would have to remove one bolt to charge though.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Badger2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am still mad at Specialized about this. I have not dropped off my bike for repair yet. Now the shop is talking about a 12-business-day (i.e. basically 3 weeks) time frame. They have been saying over and over that they have to send the old parts to Specialized before they can get the new ones. Can somebody explain why it is working this way? Why can't they just send parts to the store after the store verifies that your bike is affected?
Even so, how are they shipping parts? By horse? 12 business days? This is just ridiculous.

Less power, more aero.
Last edited by: captainfranz: Jun 12, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was not my experience. My LBS had me bring the bike in and they measured my current setup and about a 1 and half later the parts came in. I took the bike in at that point and they had it back to me in a couple days.

You situation sounds very strange. Is there another specialized dealer in your area?

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the retailer above is the largest in Chicago (4 stores) as well as the one where I bought the bike. However, I have been less than impressed with their customer service as well as with their mechanical skills.

Indeed I checked with a smaller retailer and I heard a different story. They only need to get measurements and I can keep the bike while they get the parts. I think retailer 1 above won't get any more of my business (great prices for new bikes but bad service).

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captainfranz wrote:
I am still mad at Specialized about this. I have not dropped off my bike for repair yet. Now the shop is talking about a 12-business-day (i.e. basically 3 weeks) time frame. They have been saying over and over that they have to send the old parts to Specialized before they can get the new ones. Can somebody explain why it is working this way? Why can't they just send parts to the store after the store verifies that your bike is affected?
Even so, how are they shipping parts? By horse? 12 business days? This is just ridiculous.

This is total BS. The dealer can get the parts from Specialized before they work on your bike (mine did). There is still a backlog on the low-stack kits, so it can take 2-4 weeks for them to get the parts (ex. mine to 2 weeks to arrive and they were shipping from only two states over). The dealer can then schedule with you to bring in the bike for the swap (takes a couple of hours, due to the cable issues and having to cut the extensions).

Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jun 12, 15 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fully agreed. I think I'm done taking BS from said dealer. That is bad customer service. Also, too many mechanics with an attitude and don't-care approach when working on expensive bikes. I'm now doing most of the work myself and will bring my bike somewhere else for service for the few things I don't (yet) know how to do.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone received their specialized 100 credit that had their recall complete?

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several people on the thread have mentioned using it (mostly it seems for helmets). When I showed it to my LBS (ironically the one who sent me the letter from Specialized) they weren't sure exactly what to do with it. They talked to the manager, then called corporate. To be fair, they never questioned the legitimacy just had no idea how to process it. Finally they apologized for the wait and asked if they could get back to me once they got it sorted. Later in the day they sent me a $100 store credit that I can go in and use. Thinking about the new Power saddle.

jmeitz wrote:
Has anyone received their specialized 100 credit that had their recall complete?

Quote Reply

Prev Next