Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Runninfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how many times has this part failed. I have a 2012 and 2014 Shiv and have not had any problems. I checked both out 4 days ago and rode 60 miles yesterday with no issues. I ordered a Profile Design Aeria T4 Wing Aluminum Aerobar ($350.00) and will replace my 2014 Shiv with that until Specialized comes up with a fix. I will continue to ride until new aerobar comes in.

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went ahead and put a 30 mile ride on mine yesterday and have some rough roads with the stop gap I mentioned earlier. I paid extra attention to how I position myself aero and it is as I suspected. I don't put a lot of weight on the bars themselves, but I was fitted and having the weight bearing on the pads was my preferred method. Felt as solid as ever. But like I said, it was more of a creeping inconvenience for me to begin with, losing a degree (on the bar) every 3 or so months). I love my shiv, but between this and the seat issues I had, I will definitely look elsewhere when I do buy a new bike, whenever that may be. I've already looked at my fit coordinates against the slice, BMC, Trek and can't find anything on the IA (i know, you can plug in the spreadsheet, but I'm not that serious yet). I've owned two specialized bikes and when I was going to go carbon with my road bike I was looking at specialized. That is no longer a consideration.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True. Problem is if they do now one is SOL if they crash and trash the bike since they put out a stop rideHow do you like PD? I was looking at those and the 3T Vola.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [rocketfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rocketfrog wrote:
From the Specialized Update for the Mooloolaba Tri this weekend:
QUOTE:

Out engineers have developed replacement aerobar extension mounting brackets of a different design to the current set-up.
This new mount eliminates the potential problem and is a permanent measure.
The new mount secures the extensions in a horizontal position by two bolts and removes the aerobar extension angle adjustment.

Is there anyone going to Mooloolaba that can post pictures of this setup ?????

Good, but strange that they told me the solution has not been approved by CSPS yet (this evening) so not sure how they can call this a permanent solution.

I will say that every time I have spoken to Specialized that the quality of customer service does put me at ease a little. They are kind, understanding and seem to care.....I would imagine they are fielding a ton of calls on this matter, so there reps ability to remain cool under pressure is commendable and refreshing.

They have taken care of my issues in the past in a more than fair manner and I am sure this one will be handled in the same way.....I just need a solution Monday!!! My race is approaching as well (32 days).

I have always had my eye on BMC and started looking at them a little closer this week. I have only had 3 tri bikes....and the Specialized warranty covered my butt more than once. Given the issues I have had, I am reluctant to go to a bike without a lifetime warranty....and so BMC is no longer an option for me. Fingers crossed, we are all past this issue by the end of next week and can focus on training and racing!!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Melbourne update from Specialized_AU:

OK, if the image won't load, THE LINK IS HERE.
Last edited by: rocketfrog: Mar 11, 15 0:01
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [rocketfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it's great they're pulling out all the stops to sort out IM athletes, but my A race for this season is a smaller HIM in 9 days and I feel like I'm being left out in the cold here. Specialized NZ have not returned my emails and my LBS thinks I should just keep riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [rowancbrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
felt the same way last week for HIM in PH. extremely dissapointing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
godekjames wrote:
So how many times has this part failed. I have a 2012 and 2014 Shiv and have not had any problems. I checked both out 4 days ago and rode 60 miles yesterday with no issues. I ordered a Profile Design Aeria T4 Wing Aluminum Aerobar ($350.00) and will replace my 2014 Shiv with that until Specialized comes up with a fix. I will continue to ride until new aerobar comes in.

Same here. I've been riding this bike in this configuration for 2 years - over 3000 miles. Why panic and stop now. I took the bars apart, looked at the joint and all the things that make it up, and there is no obvious damage.

I'll fix them when the fix is available, but I'm not changing the way I train at this point for something like this.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I have had no issues. I'll just be mindful when riding as it sounds like for the few people that actually had a breakage, it was more of an annoyance than anything (that one guy finished an IM on his broken bars).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
godekjames wrote:

Same here. I've been riding this bike in this configuration for 2 years - over 3000 miles. Why panic and stop now. I took the bars apart, looked at the joint and all the things that make it up, and there is no obvious damage.

I'll fix them when the fix is available, but I'm not changing the way I train at this point for something like this.

Same here. Then again... most of my rides have been on the trainer this winter and will continue to be until St. Anthony's at the end of April (so if it breaks, it will probably be more funny then dangerous). And with that being said, I am scheduled for a re-fit (going more aggressive) on the 20th at which time I am replacing the Specialized alloy cockpit with a third party carbon one (Zipp, Profile, 3T... which ever fits best and is comfortable).
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bars look okay but still went to my local specialized concept store to get more info. I was booked in straight away for next week to replace my cockpit for free with a zipp alumina. Can't complain.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
My bars look okay but still went to my local specialized concept store to get more info. I was booked in straight away for next week to replace my cockpit for free with a zipp alumina. Can't complain.

Where do you live? That sounds awesome?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
London. UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulbanday wrote:
Mark,

As i have followed this thread since the start, I always highlight if we'll be supported with the new fix at Ironman 70.3 Philippines last Sunday (just like at Taupo). However, when we arrived there Specialized Philippines said stocks didn't arrived on time so the quick fix is to glued the mount screw and tighten it. Well, we didn't have any other choice but to accept it and pray nothing bad will happen.

To sum it all up, I am extremely disappointed we were left behind by Specialized at Ironman Philippines. I mean, it doesn't have to be a full distance or half IM distance as long as safety is priority, right? A lot of shivs were out that day racing. If I had known earlier, I would have changed to different aerobar after the notice announcement. sigh.

We did all we could to prepare our regional teams for their upcoming events however we weren't able to mobilize in an identical way around the world.

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
paulbanday wrote:
Mark,

As i have followed this thread since the start, I always highlight if we'll be supported with the new fix at Ironman 70.3 Philippines last Sunday (just like at Taupo). However, when we arrived there Specialized Philippines said stocks didn't arrived on time so the quick fix is to glued the mount screw and tighten it. Well, we didn't have any other choice but to accept it and pray nothing bad will happen.

To sum it all up, I am extremely disappointed we were left behind by Specialized at Ironman Philippines. I mean, it doesn't have to be a full distance or half IM distance as long as safety is priority, right? A lot of shivs were out that day racing. If I had known earlier, I would have changed to different aerobar after the notice announcement. sigh.

We did all we could to prepare our regional teams for their upcoming events however we weren't able to mobilize in an identical way around the world.

Mark,

Can you confirm if the "fix" will allow for same raise to pads as the current setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I understand Spec is making all kinds of effort here. And it is appreciated. But we need results. My LBS never heard of this recall and they don't know when the parts will become available, or in fact what those parts will look like. They are a Spec dealer and a large shop one of the largest in the US.

This group here is probably more informed than anyone, and yet we don't know for sure how this is going to be resolved. Low stack kit for everyone? Or can we fix the existing hardware? How hard would it be to manufacture new bolts or other mounting hardware?

I understand your frustrations and empathize with the challenges we've created. We are doing all we can to get to a "result" as soon as possible.

Regulation is different in various parts of the world and the members here represent many countries. For these reasons, our updates are being posted to Specialized.com in the Safety Notices areas.

If you've contacted Rider Care in your country and have not been supported adequately, please PM me and I'll make sure you're appropriately supported.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:

Mark,

Can you confirm if the "fix" will allow for same raise to pads as the current setup?

I'll address many of the fit related questions here related to the "low stack clamps". These parts are not affected by this safety notice and are safe to ride on these aerobars.

The low stack clamps reduces the stack by ~19mm compared to the original aerobar extension mounting hardware. For those utilizing most of the 50mm of extension mounting hardware "spacers", the immediate replacement parts utilized in some markets might not have included additional spacers and long enough bolts to achieve the same stack. With a final solution, we plan to achieve the same stack for all riders utilizing a riding position stack that is possible from the original owners manual and with all the supplied parts that came with the aerobars.

The reach of the aerobar extensions can still be achieved in almost every case however the extensions need to be cut shorter as the low stack clamp protrudes towards the front of the bar, clamping the aerobar extension more forward than the original aerobar extension mounting hardware. The only case this doesn't work is on aftermarket extensions that have a bend very early in their length.

The angle adjustment of the aerobar extension and pad is removed with the low stack clamps.

The pad mounting hardware is integrated into the low stack clamps allowing for ~30mm (+/-15mm) of fore/aft adjustment of the pads.

The low stack clamps do change the configuration of the cockpit however we've been able to achieve similar BTA bottle and computer (Garmin, etc) placement on almost all athletes we've worked with.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Mark,

I'll address many of the fit related questions here related to the "low stack clamps". These parts are not affected by this safety notice and are safe to ride on these aerobars.

The low stack clamps reduces the stack by ~19mm compared to the original aerobar extension mounting hardware. For those utilizing most of the 50mm of extension mounting hardware "spacers", the immediate replacement parts utilized in some markets might not have included additional spacers and long enough bolts to achieve the same stack. With a final solution, we plan to achieve the same stack for all riders utilizing a riding position stack that is possible from the original owners manual and with all the supplied parts that came with the aerobars.

The reach of the aerobar extensions can still be achieved in almost every case however the extensions need to be cut shorter as the low stack clamp protrudes towards the front of the bar, clamping the aerobar extension more forward than the original aerobar extension mounting hardware. The only case this doesn't work is on aftermarket extensions that have a bend very early in their length.

The angle adjustment of the aerobar extension and pad is removed with the low stack clamps.

The pad mounting hardware is integrated into the low stack clamps allowing for ~30mm (+/-15mm) of fore/aft adjustment of the pads.

The low stack clamps do change the configuration of the cockpit however we've been able to achieve similar BTA bottle and computer (Garmin, etc) placement on almost all athletes we've worked with.

Mark

Mark,

Appreciate the prompt responses.

So if I'm reading this correctly, there is an intial fix, which won't allow for same rise, but it will be followed by a long term fix that does? Is that correct? Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure I understand, so I can direct my LBS, as they for sure have no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer, because that sounded awesome.

Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized contacted me this morning, new hardware has been sent to my LBS (and others in NZ) and I'm getting the fix done today. Very happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
MITaerobike wrote:
CJAC wrote:

Mark,

Mark

Mark,

Appreciate the prompt responses.

So if I'm reading this correctly, there is an intial fix, which won't allow for same rise, but it will be followed by a long term fix that does? Is that correct? Not trying to beat a dead horse, just want to make sure I understand, so I can direct my LBS, as they for sure have no idea.

Can you please PM me details on your LBS so we can reach out directly to them? I don't mean to confuse, but one way or another, we will make sure every rider's fit can be replicated. I was only speaking to those using low stack clamps - explaining that the stock spacers and bolts will not allow the same stack range as the current hardware.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any updates on an official solution or what others are getting approved?

I am still waiting on options from my LBS, was suppose to hear back Thursday afternoon but nothing yet...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [BocaIvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat. Haven't heard anything from the lbs and oceanside is only 2 weeks away!! It's kinda panic mode now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the UK with a Shiv should get onto their LBS if they haven't already. Had a call from mine about it last week, today had a full new Profile Aeria cockpit fitted, and some LBS vouchers for the inconvenience chucked in. Very happy Specialized customer here! I don't think I'm the only one in the UK, that's had this offer either. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Kitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this gets figured out soon. Starting to be more than an inconvenience.
Quote Reply

Prev Next