Quote | Reply
Quote:
That straddle cable hanger is HUGE! ;-)

The finished trimmed down version!
M@TTY
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks a bit better m@tty but what about just making your own which I believe could be done a lot smaller. I am thinking about ordering some TRP T925 rear brakes on line and will use the rear on the front of my P2K to do a similar set up but I am thinking of getting the guys in the shop to make me a custom straddle out of some aluminum. Just a very simple design out of the round stock with three set screws. Have the vertical drilled hole on an angle through the stock so that it exits behind the straddle about 2/3rd of the way down with two set screws and then drill a hole horizontally through the bottom about an 1/8" up with a single set screw. have the guys round the top and bottom and I will tri to have the set screws mounted in the back to hide them and have a nice looking unit. I might even have them do it in Stainless steel which we uses for about 90% of the machines we build as the part will be pretty small anyways and will hold up better.

Hard to describe but I have a great thought about how to do this as small as possible while making it still pretty strong.

As for the other rear TRP T925 I was thinking of trying to use something like this on the back seat post clamp and then have the cable run straight down to the brake. Or maybe make a bracket like AC has done with his Hooker rear. Not sure how to attach the rear brake yet.

Last edited by: BMAN: Oct 18, 09 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried one of these on the rear brake with a similar set up to the front but it felt a bit spongey and was pretty dificult to set up so discarded the idea I wouldnt have been able to use the seat clamp hanger as my frame has a non standard seat clamp but it might work for you! I dont really have the time or access to the tools to make anything smaller and just wanted to put together something that would work was simple and looked ok that I and others could source from existing parts that are readily available, this forum has given me a chance to display my ideas and steal a few ideas from others keep us informed on your progress!
M@TTY
Last edited by: m@tty: Oct 19, 09 1:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed you posted this on another thread have you been considering this (i thought of this as a solution also but didnt like the idea of drilling a hole in a perfectly good frame and i dont think there is much advantage to be had with any rear brake on the seatstays if i was going to start altering the frame i think i would fit the brake under and behind the bottom bracket)
M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This set up would only work with an ISP style frame which my P2K is not. Do not get me wrong as I do like your idea and might steal it but I think having the smallest straddle possible would be the best option. I still might try to figure out how to make a custom straddle as small as possible but at the same time you want it to be strong. I think going with SS instead of AL would be a better choice is I can get one sorted out small enough. I have been thinking about it a lot and there are a few more ideas that I have to reduce the size even more than I originally thought about.

Still great work on what you have done.

I like the staddle below but not sure why it has to be so big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I still might try to figure out how to make a custom straddle as small as possible but at the same time you want it to be strong. I think going with SS instead of AL would be a better choice is I can get one sorted out small enough.

In implementing a blatant theft of Tom and Greg's idea I used a short piece of 1/4 inch OK copper tube. Stainless could be used as well. The brake works fine with no visable wear on the copper after ~ 6 months of use. Doesn't look great but it is small (:-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at the link in post 175 this guy(ebay seller machined) might be able to make you what you want?
considered this option myself but he is on the other side of the atlantic from me and I am the most impatient guy on the planet!!!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [AFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is sort of what I was thinking but I would like to have the piece mounted vertically instead of horizontal and incorporate set screws into the design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, where did you get that part? I've been looking for one for my cross bike but can't seem to locate one anywhere. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [JP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, where did you get that part? I've been looking for one for my cross bike but can't seem to locate one anywhere. Thanks
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/...?plid=m2b17s101p1809

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Matt Simkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Matt
wondering how progress is going with the brakeset?

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M@TTY,
I just picked them up from being laser marked today.
They were laser marked already, but several people commented that another logo would look good.
Aesthetic stuff like that is so easy to improved compared to all the work that went into the design and testing that it really wasn't a question, but it did cause some delay.
Now that the brake appearance will not change, I can take some pictures, update the website, and will post them on ebay.
There is still a little bit of work to do finishing off the threads from the CNC (a detail I totally forgot about), but they are essentially done. I will post a photo hopefully tomorrow.
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt,

congrats on almost being done.

I have a couple of questions for you:
1. Are they going to be available in singles?
2. Do your Skelters fit Felt DA/B2's rear concave area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
M@TTY,
They were laser marked already, but several people commented that another logo would look good.
Aesthetic stuff like that is so easy to improved compared to all the work that went into the design and testing that it really wasn't a question, but it did cause some delay.
Now that the brake appearance will not change, I can take some pictures, update the website, and will post them on ebay.
There is still a little bit of work to do finishing off the threads from the CNC (a detail I totally forgot about), but they are essentially done. I will post a photo hopefully tomorrow.
Matt

Does that mean mine are "special limited edition" models :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
M@TTY,
Matt

Do you know the price yet for a front?

Edit: also what is the total width?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Nov 6, 09 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Look at what I just mounted up today :-)

Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rats! You beat me. Mine haven't shipped yet. ;)

You gonna share some aero test data with us? Consider sheathing the cable housing with some airfoil tubing...

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

You gonna share some aero test data with us? Consider sheathing the cable housing with some airfoil tubing...

I revealed a little earlier in this thread (it's basically tied with my modified Tektro)...Matt has a write-up he's going to post when he updates his website.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so are these field tested yet Tom?

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I revealed a little earlier in this thread (it's basically tied with my modified Tektro)...Matt has a write-up he's going to post when he updates his website.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
so are these field tested yet Tom?

Yup...that's what the write-up is about. I compared the front to a Cervelo Mach2 dual pivot on the "halfpipe" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they look pretty nice. a few questions:

-how do they stop?
-how much do they cost?
-when can we buy?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
they look pretty nice. a few questions:

-how do they stop?
-how much do they cost?
-when can we buy?

-Dunno yet...my first test ride is tomorrow. The one I field tested originally wasn't fully functional.
-Ask Matt
-Ask Matt

:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look cool. I love the shape and how close they sit to the fork-----i think some grams are still sitting on the workbench with the non-centered brake cable.

Now you need some of these (from the AX brakes):

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice brakes!
Need to get some overtime done at work to help pay for a set!

M@TTY
Quote Reply

Prev Next