Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Aero Brakes [Dalai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just installed the Simkins brake front and rear on my Slice. It works well enough, not as good modulation and ultimate power as the Ultegra SL brakes it replaced, but well enough to make me comfortable using it in training. Set up takes more time, but its not that difficult if you follow the instructions.....

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pros:

They look cool.
They're aero.
They stop fine.

Cons:

They are a bit tricky to set up, but once set up properly work fine.
They are a pain to adjust for different rim widths -- I actually sold my C2 race wheels and got some 19mm race rims to match my training wheels.
They have tight tolerance to the tires and I've had to stop a couple of times to remove leaves and gravel that has got wedged in there. (Fortunately, only in training so far.)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them front and rear since April. They are a bit finicky to set-up, but once the gap is adjusted they are good (except for the occasional re-centering of the rim between the pads). Both my training and racing wheels have narrow rims, so I don't have to adjust the gap.

I have them mounted on my P3, and they match great with the fork, but the rear, while better than a stock brake, it's not as seamless of a transition between the frame and caliper as the front.

As far as the stopping power, not quite as good as a Dura-Ace or SRAM, but very close. I never have a problem locking up the rear if required, and if you know how to brake, you can stop pretty quick. I have a part of my training route where I come down a hill, stop and turn-around. During that stop from about 35 mph, my distance to stop is about 15-20 feet longer with the Simkins than my old DA or SRAM Red. I never actually measured the distances, but the distance is probably about 65 feet with DA and about 80 feet with Simkins (based on visual cues along a driveway opening).

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback guys. I just bit the bullet based on the recommendations and bought a lightly used set...

I expect these to be more aero than the Tektro calipers currently on my alloy P3!
Quote Reply

Prev Next