Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Aero Brakes [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have read his posts over there and I would agree that he does not feel that the 3w-5w is real
Quelle surprise.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Matt Simkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always put aero OVER stopping power in our sport (the only time you really need to swap the two is when someone is riding your wheel!).

Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I have read his posts over there and I would agree that he does not feel that the 3w-5w is real

Quelle surprise.

So somebody sent me a copy of Matt's 'white paper' on the brakes describing the aero field testing that Tom A. did - were you behind the stats that were performed?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And your thoughts on this Andrew?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And your thoughts on this Andrew?

The aeroness of Matt's new brakes? Since I'm not in the market for something like them, I haven't given it much thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
BTW, Matt I showed the study to a friend and team mate that is an aerodynamic engineering professor at the University of Illinois Champaign/ Urbana. He felt it was done very well but he calculated the power savings at 5 watts over the Cervelo brake.

Kraig Willett apparently doesn't believe that the differences are real (or at least so I have been told).

You can look for yourself: http://biketechreview.com/...c.php?f=1&t=2629

yeah, I know you're banned from the site so you can't see any of the images, but I'm sure his comments are visible. I don't think it's a fair characterization to say 'he doesn't believe the differences'. He pretty much states the following:

-a regular caliper theoretically has a drag of about 4W on its own

-there's some variation in the field test data

-field testing is tricky business

I agree with all of the above. Of course, the brake could in theory improve aerodynamics over no brake, even though it adds frontal area. However, Kraig just seems to be asking questions, not reaching conclusions. They seem like pretty valid questions to me.

p.s. this would all be a lot easier to discuss if you two would kiss and make up
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
BTW, Matt I showed the study to a friend and team mate that is an aerodynamic engineering professor at the University of Illinois Champaign/ Urbana. He felt it was done very well but he calculated the power savings at 5 watts over the Cervelo brake.

Kraig Willett apparently doesn't believe that the differences are real (or at least so I have been told).

yeah, I know you're banned from the site so you can't see any of the images, but I'm sure his comments are visible.

No, he's blocked all of Wash U as well as my home ISP (or at least he had the last time I checked, which was a while ago...nope, still blocked).

In Reply To:
I don't think it's a fair characterization to say 'he doesn't believe the differences'.

I was just going by what I was told (which is why I said 'apparently').

In Reply To:
p.s. this would all be a lot easier to discuss if you two would kiss and make up

The thing is, I don't know what perceived slight it is that I'm supposed to 'kiss and make up' over.

Of course, we all remember Kraig's meltdown/temper tantrum on this forum, so the fact that he is too thin-skinned to put up with the likes of me is no big surprise.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 24, 09 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was just going by what I was told (which is why I said 'apparently').

Well, I think that strongly reflects the bias of the person who told that to you...
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where can I get a set of those????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So somebody sent me a copy of Matt's 'white paper' on the brakes describing the aero field testing that Tom A. did - were you behind the stats that were performed?
Nope. But I did read an early version of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

yeah, I know you're banned from the site so you can't see any of the images, but I'm sure his comments are visible. I don't think it's a fair characterization to say 'he doesn't believe the differences'. He pretty much states the following:

-a regular caliper theoretically has a drag of about 4W on its own

-there's some variation in the field test data

-field testing is tricky business

I agree with all of the above. Of course, the brake could in theory improve aerodynamics over no brake, even though it adds frontal area. However, Kraig just seems to be asking questions, not reaching conclusions. They seem like pretty valid questions to me.
I don't regularly follow BTR and I can't see his graphs or explanations but I just went over there and it seems to me like he's come to a conclusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as an impartial third party observer I absolutely cannot agree.

hopefully his skepticism will lead to the brake being put in a wind tunnel!

In Reply To:
I don't regularly follow BTR and I can't see his graphs or explanations but I just went over there and it seems to me like he's come to a conclusion.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Well, I guess it depends on how one defines 'conclusion'. If he reached one, it's that more testing needs to be done to reach a conclusion... He certainly hasn't reached a conclusion regarding the aeroness of the brake, at least that I can see:

"To me, the power data provided by Matt (as visualized above) suggest that more trials were needed in order to add meaningful insight into the question "is the simkins brake more aero than the baseline configuration tested?".

am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/...26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63

$335.00 for front &rear you can buy just the front .
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
as an impartial third party observer I absolutely cannot agree.

Gee, he says
Quote:
I've taken a few seconds to just run the raw data (of the claimed "good" runs) through my canned script [..] To me, the power data provided by Matt (as visualized above) suggest that more trials were needed in order to add meaningful insight into the question "is the simkins brake more aero than the baseline configuration tested?
which I take to mean that he's come to the conclusion that the data are insufficient. You sayin' he hasn't come to that conclusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Well, I guess it depends on how one defines 'conclusion'. If he reached one, it's that more testing needs to be done to reach a conclusion... He certainly hasn't reached a conclusion regarding the aeroness of the brake, at least that I can see:

"To me, the power data provided by Matt (as visualized above) suggest that more trials were needed in order to add meaningful insight into the question "is the simkins brake more aero than the baseline configuration tested?".

am I missing something?
Maybe, maybe not. But I know I'm missing something -- I don't have access to his graphs or scripts so I don't know whether his inability to gain meaningful insight is due to his analysis or something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can put a spacer on the brake to get a little bit of standoff. To get the maximum drag advantage the brakes should have a really snug fit. If they will clear without a spacer, I would recommend that. This statement was verified with computer modeling.

Could I ask how you managed to validate your CFD? You've not tested these in a wind tunnel so have no way of checking the accuracy surely?

Could you perhaps share some details of the simulations? Program? Model? Cell count? Additional geometry such as wheels (rotating), forks, frame person etc. Yaw angles?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you email me at simkinsdesigns@gmail.com I can send you a report that compares the Egg Brake. Tom A. actually did the testing. Tom is in no way affiliated with Simkins Designs and did the testing for free as an offer through Slowtwitch. That said, the testing is unbiased and I think that Tom did a really great job. I drafted the report using Tom's data and test setup info. The report is not really an advertisment per-se, and speaks more to the Chung Method.

The computer modeling was for design only. Perhaps there is some slighted engineer out there seeking revenge on Shimano, SRAM, or Campy. If someone has a solid model of a Dura Ace, Red, or Record brake, I would love to simulate it and compare the results with the Eggs. I would even put it up against a Hooker, AX, Delta or MRC. As it stands, all the simulation was done using the models that I generated. Even though I cannot do comparative modeling with other products, a write-up on that type of drag simulation is planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you email me at simkinsdesigns@gmail.com I can send you a report that compares the Egg Brake. Tom A. actually did the testing. Tom is in no way affiliated with Simkins Designs and did the testing for free as an offer through Slowtwitch. That said, the testing is unbiased and I think that Tom did a really great job. I drafted the report using Tom's data and test setup info.
Matt:

If you want, I could post it along with the data from the runs. Would that be okay?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. That report was written to be seen and I would be glad to have it get out there.
Robert Chung actually wrote a nice article on the method too.
If you post it online, please let me know and I will link to that download on my website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No problem. That report was written to be seen and I would be glad to have it get out there.
Robert Chung actually wrote a nice article on the method too.
If you post it online, please let me know and I will link to that download on my website.
Okay. I've stuck the paper and the two data files in
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/simkins-egg/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert,
Thanks for that! I will link to it from the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Im gonna buy a front brake, I like playing around with aero weenie stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you email me at simkinsdesigns@gmail.com I can send you a report that compares the Egg Brake. Tom A. actually did the testing. Tom is in no way affiliated with Simkins Designs and did the testing for free as an offer through Slowtwitch. That said, the testing is unbiased and I think that Tom did a really great job. I drafted the report using Tom's data and test setup info. The report is not really an advertisment per-se, and speaks more to the Chung Method.[/quote]
Thanks for offer, but I've already seen it on the BTR site. I'll leave others to agree with/object to that data as they see fit. It was the CFD comment that interested me.

Quote:
The computer modeling was for design only.

Which is what I expected to hear. It was the earlier, contrasting statement that concerned me:
"To get the maximum drag advantage the brakes should have a really snug fit. If they will clear without a spacer, I would recommend that. This statement was verified with computer modeling."

Quote:
Even though I cannot do comparative modeling with other products, a write-up on that type of drag simulation is planned.

I look forwards to seeing it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anybody have a picture of rear brake mounted on frame(pref on p3c:-) ) but on anyframe would be great
Quote Reply

Prev Next