Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Aero Brakes [Matt Simkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the link is not valid. (BMAN beat me to it)

Having said that did you consider modeling it w/ the wheel in place and rotating? It is significantly more complicated to model, but would be incredibly interesting and arguably more accurate a test case.
Last edited by: pyrahna: Mar 19, 10 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A person would need to decide what kind of wheel/tire to model - just one of them would end up taking a significant amount of time without a serious render farm available.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not saying it wouldn't take a little computational time to solve. I think the most simplistic would probably be a flat disk. I would believe that most of the interaction would happen at the tire and the brake bed area and you wouldn't have to account for things like spokes which could add a level of complexity to the simulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should be fixed now, sorry about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrahna,
I believe that Adams makes software to do dynamics and fluid modeling simultaneously, but I don't have access to that kind of stuff.
The computation time really blows up as soon as you added even modest complexity. The simulations in that technical article took about 2 hours, and that included only the brake, fork, stear tube, and cable.
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adams software models, for lack of a better term, dynamic kinematics. There are hooks in ADAMS for both flexible bodies (i.e. bending parts under load) and I believe hooks for forces applied by aerodynamic forces. What I am talking about w/ dynamic fluid movement has to do with the fact that their would be no steady state solution if spokes were whirring around in the model. There would be pulses due to the spokes getting close to other objects. There are plenty of CFD programs that do quasi-dynamic (Navier-Stokes) that would do what you are looking for without spending the 6 figures needed for ADAMS. I believe there are actually some open-source stuff that would do the CFD that you are looking for. But this is all getting outside my engineering comfort zone.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jcaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

finally got brake finished ...and no that cable is no way near as close to tyre as it looks:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

simkins brake on p3 blackwell time bandit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how does that tektro brake setup feel in terms of stopping power?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [polarityshift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fine for a tt bike no problems at all
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just put together my new front caliper made from a transition caliper and a tektro!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just put together my new front caliper made from a transition caliper and a tektro!

Do you have the shaped rubber caps that cover the pivot bolts?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No but im trying to find some! if i cant get hold of some then i can do quite a good job on them with electrical tape!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No but im trying to find some! if i cant get hold of some then i can do quite a good job on them with electrical tape!

I'd try with Specialized...either through Specialized customer service or your LBS. Just say that you lost some off of your Transition brakes and you need replacements...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
fine for a tt bike no problems at all

On the rear of my TT bike, I have the Tektro R726 which is what the rear brake on the specialized is based on and thought I would add a qualifier as the manufacturer of my frame made no allowances for a cable guide/stop for the brake cable where it exits the downtube ahead of the brake (note the aluminum Tektro aftermarket cable stop in the image above). Without a cable stop/guide, braking with such a setup will not be very good as the cable will first flex to take up slack before it actually starts actuating/closing the caliper.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you purchase those transition brakes separately or were they from another bike? Will LBS sell just the transition brake? Was it difficult to combine the transitions and tektro brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are wanting the brakes from the Specialized for the annodized calipers, the brakes are somewhat based on the Tektro R726.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to find that set of brakes but none of the LBS have it or even heard of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one I have came with the Chinese time trial frameset I ordered and searches have not yieldded very good results tracking them down on the web as it typically is not an item most LBS/online sites carry but I would think it could be ordered from the distributor. An alternative would be the Oval Concepts A700 rear brake although if this is for an under/behind the bottom bracket style frame, then I doubt that brake will be very good either as I have tried both with my bike and neither offers what I would call positive braking action.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the transition brake from a guy who had lost the grub screws from the front brake on his transition frame so specialized sent him a new caliper! I think it would be very difficult to get hold of one and I just got lucky! I had to drill to holes in the tektro part but other than that it wasnt to difficult!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a freind who is a specialized dealer so he will be my first port of call!

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Do you have the shaped rubber caps that cover the pivot bolts?
Just fitted it today(after powder coating )still trying to source the rubber bungs so taped up over the bolts for now! M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is now close now to 18 months since the Egg brakes became available. Any feedback from users?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Dalai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is now close now to 18 months since the Egg brakes became available. Any feedback from users?

Love them. I rode the entire seaon on the Simkin brake. The stop very well although its about going fast and not stopping. This year at age 53 I rode a 20K personal best averaging 27.4 mph. It wasn't the brakes alone but an important part of the things that got me there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no way man, i think it was definitely the brakes

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next