Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Aero Brakes [Matt Simkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick. Very slick.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post pictures of the back and front. straight on shots and side shots. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very slick looking. How is the cable routed so cleanly?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can you post pictures of the back and front. straight on shots and side shots. Thanks.

I don't have the rear mounted up yet...when I do I'll take pics to go with the side and front shots of the front brake above.

BTW, for those asking about the braking power. They've got plenty...and that's with the Koolstop Black pads that came with them (I prefer the Koolstop Salmon myself). Of course, this is the opinion of a guy who runs single pivot Cane Creek 200SLs on his road bike ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [sharprace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very slick looking. How is the cable routed so cleanly?

I don't think I understand the question...are you talking about the internal wire cable or the exterior housing routing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The external housing... from the picture it looked like the housing takes a sharp turn downward. I was just wondering how you were able to pull it off, it looks super clean.
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [sharprace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The external housing... from the picture it looked like the housing takes a sharp turn downward. I was just wondering how you were able to pull it off, it looks super clean.

Hmmm...it just takes a normal turn downward from where it's taped up at the bar. In fact, I didn't change the housing at all from how it was with the Cane Creek 200SL that was on there before.

It might look "neater" because the arm of the brake is closer to the centerline of the bike?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pm'd you re price or availability
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I dunno about the data part (although your hints sound reasonably promising) but Matt's sure done a great job on the design & production.

I suspect a lot of P2/3/4 owners are looking at these and thinking this is just what they need to complete their build. Your modified tektro setup is very clever but it's got that whole geek look going, this is a whole lot sexier. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, I dunno about the data part (although your hints sound reasonably promising) but Matt's sure done a great job on the design & production.

I suspect a lot of P2/3/4 owners are looking at these and thinking this is just what they need to complete their build. Your modified tektro setup is very clever but it's got that whole geek look going, this is a whole lot sexier. :-)

Life is MUCH easier if you embrace your "inner geek" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they're on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...?hash=item19b7abf51a

$335 a pair-------too bad they arent sold for just the front.

Matt, can the rear brake be swapped to a front with a longer bolt?

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look again at the listing. They are sold just the front:

This auction is for one Front and one Rear Black Brake
For front brake only, please contact seller.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The listing on Ebay reports drag savings of 3 grams -

"Drag tested, front brake only can reduce drag force by 3 grams over a conventional dual pivot brake."

That's really no savings at all. Is that correct? Is it 3 grams or 3 watts?

-------
Joe

Last edited by: Joe C.: Nov 10, 09 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Look again at the listing. They are sold just the front:

This auction is for one Front and one Rear Black Brake
For front brake only, please contact seller.

edit: just talked to Matt, $170 front only.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Last edited by: jeremyb: Nov 10, 09 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Joe C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The listing on Ebay reports drag savings of 3 grams -

"Drag tested, front brake only can reduce drag force by 3 grams over a conventional dual pivot brake."

That's really no savings at all. Is that correct? Is it 3 grams or 3 watts?

Yup...that looks like a typo. It should be 3W.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 10, 09 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are misreading the listing. The listing is for the pair.

If you want just one (a front), contact the seller. Send Matt an email to get just a front.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
3 watts for the front only, WOW. That's a lot! That's a bigger difference than going from a Zipp 404 front to a Zipp 808 front...

What about the rear brake? But probably the gains for the rear brake differs for different road bikes? What about the gains for a soloist carbon?

How is the braking of the front compared to a shimano dura ace 7800 front brake? My 'aero theme' road bike is craving for an extra 3 watt reduction and I cannot afford a zipp 808 to replace my 404...

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It's probably been in this thread somewhere and I've missed it, but what test protocol have they used to get this data?
Last edited by: zebragonzo: Nov 10, 09 12:26
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

It's probably been in this thread somewhere and I've missed it, but what test protocol have they used to get this data?
I thought that Tom A. field tested it.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

"They" would be me ;-)...and the test protocol was the same as what I did for the P2K vs. P3C comparison, i.e. I "Chung'd it on the halfpipe...dude" :-)

Matt has a very nice write-up that he did on the whole thing that I'm sure will be posted to his website when he has time (grad school can make one a bit busy at times)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"They" would be me ;-)...and the test protocol was the same as what I did for the P2K vs. P3C comparison, i.e. I "Chung'd it on the halfpipe...dude" :-)

Do the local tour busses go out your way:
"and on your right is the famous halfpipe where Tom A does his testing"
:-D
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright I decided that fooling around with home made designs is just going to take up way too much time and effort. So much easier to just email Matt and place my order. The CDN is great against the USD today so they are now on order with Matt.

Now all I have to do is wait for my Vision levers and of course some money to have my white/blue P2K painted Black. I can not wait to have this build done.

Tom - since you have these brakes already, do you think I could get away with running a Nokon cable down the front of the head tube and having the cable housing bend order to the brake. I see that you are running standard housings but do you think there is any aero advantage to running the housing infront of the head tube for as long as possible then having it bend over as low as possible?
Quote Reply
Re: New Aero Brakes [BMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Alright I decided that fooling around with home made designs is just going to take up way too much time and effort. So much easier to just email Matt and place my order. The CDN is great against the USD today so they are now on order with Matt.

Now all I have to do is wait for my Vision levers and of course some money to have my white/blue P2K painted Black. I can not wait to have this build done.

Tom - since you have these brakes already, do you think I could get away with running a Nokon cable down the front of the head tube and having the cable housing bend order to the brake. I see that you are running standard housings but do you think there is any aero advantage to running the housing infront of the head tube for as long as possible then having it bend over as low as possible?

Possibly...but, you want to make sure that the housing doesn't tend push/pull the brake to one side.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice brakes Matt! I know UCI rules don't bother the majority here on this site, but with the UCI going silly on the 3:1 aspect ratio now with bike parts and not just frames; do the arms meet a 3:1 aspect ratio? From the photos I'm guessing they wouldn't?
Quote Reply

Prev Next