Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [billdsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 56 years old and having been riding on two wheels for a lot of years. I ride motorcycles as well as bicycles. Some motorcyclists argue that it is safer to ride near the center line as opposed to the right side of the lane as you are more visible. I never agreed with that logic either. To me riding defensively means staying as far away from the cage drivers as possible. If I need to take evasive action (avoid someone crossing the center line or someone about to run me over from the rear) I want to be as close to the shoulder (or ditch for that matter) as I can be. I like my survival odds better hitting the ditch as opposed to a mass of steel moving at me at speed. Your logic seems more like offensive action than being defensive.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Coupled with the fact that this was a four lane highway, where vehicles can simply change lanes to pass, it's hard for me to believe that cars were backed up behind the cyclist.

Is it really hard for people to believe this? Riders TOP speed was 43ish. Speed limit was 55 so safe assumption cars are going faster.

Is it really hard to believe rush hour volume of cars going 55-65mph were catching up to a cyclist going 35-43mph?

Car going 65 comes up on a bike going 17-25mph slower = bad news.

I don't think there's any reasonable question that it was legal for the cyclist to take the lane, since it's a narrow lane and California law gives cyclists the right to ride in the road and does not require that they ride hin the shoulder, no matter how wide it may be.

Whether it's safe under the circumstances is something for the cyclist to decide. We should t be ceding our right to do something completely legal and, in our judgment, safe just because motorists are ignorant of the law.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
No, defensive riding would be not to be riding at a fast speed at a busy time of the day on a busy road that has a "debris filled" wide "breakdown lane".

Taking the lane is not defensive. At least it is not the most defensive thing to do.
Actually it is. It's perfectly fits the principles of defensive driving by maximizing visibility and predictability and clearances. There's a reason why all widely recognized sources of bicycle safety teaching have it as a major part of what they teach.

Quote:
If a car comes at me, I guess I'm going into the ditch, because that would be defensive cycling. I'm defending my life.
Having to take extreme evasive actions like that shows a failure to ride defensively.

Quote:
And I really don't care about the legal rights of PCH. I care about living. Cars certainly don't care about cyclists rights on the PCH either judging by your comments, but yet you still want to "stick it to them". Good luck playing chicken.
It's not playing chicken. It's maximizing visibility and predictability and clearances.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Okay, there are plenty of highways around here with a 65mph speed limit. Even if a cyclist has the right to take the lane (which they do), I still think it is a stupid thing to do, especially when there is a safer alternative. Yes, slowing down and riding the shoulder is a safer alternative given the traffic level and speed differential in this situation IMO.

What makes you think riding on the shoulder is a safer alternative?

Bicyclists riding on shoulders (and in bike lanes) are overlooked, drifted into, and killed, all too often.

Bicyclists using the full lane might elicit irrational responses expressed as annoyance and even anger, perhaps out of genuine but misplaced concern for the cyclist, but they're almost never hit, because they are noticed.

I'll take a honk over a fatal hit any day. How about you?

The main reason to use the full lane in this and most situations is safety. Just because one hasn't read the books or taken the courses that are necessary for many to understand why it's safer to use the full lane does not justify declaring that it's safer to be on the shoulder.

You can't find stats of cyclists being rear-ended going 10mph in the middle of a 55mph lane because the vast majority of us are smart enough to not do it.

You seriously trust that 1,000 drivers are going to notice you and slow their speed to below half the posted limit to avoid hitting you while you take the lane? This idea becomes even more dangerous on a four lane road. Now you have someone running up on you at twice your speed and they have a choice, slam the brakes or make a quick lane change. Lets say they chose the quick lane change at the last second, you really trust the car right behind them to be able to get slowed down in time? How about the mess cars are creating by diving into the left lane to avoid you?

Seems to be you are so focused on your right to the lane that you can't see the obvious flaws in your ideas about "defensive cycling". Are there appropriate times to take the lane? Of course, and I do when appropriate. This situation based on all the evidence provided was not one of those times. Especially given the fact that the "gutter" you road warriors refer to was an entire lane.
There are countless thousands of miles of rural roadway all over the country posted at 55 mph with narrow lanes and no shoulders where cyclists have no choice but to be in the lane, and yet they are hardly ever rear-ended. Every think about that?

My impetus is not the right to the lane, but the safety of the cyclist. What you seem to be missing is that the reason the cyclist has the right to the lane, the reason those exceptions were put into CVC 21202 which give him the right to the lane, are precisely for making cycling safer.

Reasonable people can disagree on whether the cyclist would be safer in the lane or on the shoulder in this particular case - but reasonable people should not disagree on who should make the call. And the rest of us should respect that choice. Only anti-cyclist bigots would not respect it (and yes cyclists can be anti-cyclist bigots).

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Some motorcyclists argue that it is safer to ride near the center line as opposed to the right side of the lane as you are more visible. I never agreed with that logic either.

Some motorcyclists argue that it is safer to ride near the center line as opposed to the right side of the lane as you are more visible? That's quite an understatement. If you taught a motorcycle safety course otherwise you'd be fired, for good reason.

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: May 21, 15 12:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
I am 56 years old and having been riding on two wheels for a lot of years. I ride motorcycles as well as bicycles. Some motorcyclists argue that it is safer to ride near the center line as opposed to the right side of the lane as you are more visible. I never agreed with that logic either. To me riding defensively means staying as far away from the cage drivers as possible. If I need to take evasive action (avoid someone crossing the center line or someone about to run me over from the rear) I want to be as close to the shoulder (or ditch for that matter) as I can be. I like my survival odds better hitting the ditch as opposed to a mass of steel moving at me at speed. Your logic seems more like offensive action than being defensive.
Motorcycle safety programs tend to teach left of center, in order to avoid oil build up in the center but yes, they teach left, not right, because right encourages drivers in cars to pass without fully changing lanes, which is not safe.

Taking the lane is the opposite of offensive. It's all about visibility and clearances. You only think it's offensive because you think that a bicyclist who does it is taking something that's not his to take.

I've been riding on 2 wheels for 47 years, on the road for 43 of those. Take a Cycling Savvy course. You'll be glad you did.
Last edited by: billdsd: May 21, 15 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
Reasonable people can disagree on whether the cyclist would be safer in the lane or on the shoulder in this particular case - but reasonable people should not disagree on who should make the call. And the rest of us should respect that choice. Only anti-cyclist bigots would not respect it (and yes cyclists can be anti-cyclist bigots).
Yep.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Okay, there are plenty of highways around here with a 65mph speed limit. Even if a cyclist has the right to take the lane (which they do), I still think it is a stupid thing to do, especially when there is a safer alternative. Yes, slowing down and riding the shoulder is a safer alternative given the traffic level and speed differential in this situation IMO.

Bicyclists riding on shoulders (and in bike lanes) are overlooked, drifted into, and killed, all too often.

Bicyclists using the full lane might elicit irrational responses expressed as annoyance and even anger, perhaps out of genuine but misplaced concern for the cyclist, but they're almost never hit, because they are noticed.

The main reason to use the full lane in this and most situations is safety. Just because one hasn't read the books or taken the courses that are necessary for many to understand why it's safer to use the full lane does not justify declaring that it's safer to be on the shoulder.

You can't find stats of cyclists being rear-ended going 10mph in the middle of a 55mph lane because the vast majority of us are smart enough to not do it.

You seriously trust that 1,000 drivers are going to notice you and slow their speed to below half the posted limit to avoid hitting you while you take the lane? This idea becomes even more dangerous on a four lane road. Now you have someone running up on you at twice your speed and they have a choice, slam the brakes or make a quick lane change. Lets say they chose the quick lane change at the last second, you really trust the car right behind them to be able to get slowed down in time? How about the mess cars are creating by diving into the left lane to avoid you?

Seems to be you are so focused on your right to the lane that you can't see the obvious flaws in your ideas about "defensive cycling". Are there appropriate times to take the lane? Of course, and I do when appropriate. This situation based on all the evidence provided was not one of those times. Especially given the fact that the "gutter" you road warriors refer to was an entire lane.

There are countless thousands of miles of rural roadway all over the country posted at 55 mph with narrow lanes and no shoulders where cyclists have no choice but to be in the lane, and yet they are hardly ever rear-ended. Every think about that?

My impetus is not the right to the lane, but the safety of the cyclist. What you seem to be missing is that the reason the cyclist has the right to the lane, the reason those exceptions were put into CVC 21202 which give him the right to the lane, are precisely for making cycling safer.

You are now comparing a four lane main highway in Cali during rush hour to a rural road with tractors and the occasional pickup. Oh and then you throw in "anti-cyclist bigots" as your term of the day.

Your credibility is now completely shattered. Have a nice day, I hope your defensive riding works out for you and that every driver who happens to come up behind you gets slowed down in time, and that no one ever runs you over while you are exercising your rights. I will continue to pick my battles and ride to the right when I can and take the lane when necessary which IMO is safer and will do less damage to the motorist/cyclist relationship.

This thread further reminds me of the lack of common sense and logic in California and why I wish Californians would stop moving to my state.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [billdsd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
billdsd wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Is it really hard for people to believe this? Riders TOP speed was 43ish. Speed limit was 55 so safe assumption cars are going faster.

Is it really hard to believe rush hour volume of cars going 55-65mph were catching up to a cyclist going 35-43mph?

Car going 65 comes up on a bike going 17-25mph slower = bad news.
Somebody said the limit was 45. Another said 50. So I was forced to go look it up on Google Maps. The speed limit is 45mph.

https://goo.gl/maps/Vhkgs

People doing 65 in a 45 should be arrested.

When you see a bicyclist in the middle of the lane and your closing speed is ~20mph, no, it's not at all difficult to slow down or move over to pass. I deal with the same from other motor vehicles when I'm driving all the time.

First post of this thread which remains unedited says the posted limit was 55mph.

But for arguments sake lets say the speed limit is lower. It is definitely a safe assumption that cars normally travel the expected 5-10mph over the limit. We also know from reports of the cyclists strava file that he did not maintain 43mph but instead was "cruising" slower than that.

So lets assume 45+10= 55mph for vehicles and 43-x = cyclists speed at RUSH HOUR. Still, do the math.

As far as your outlandish comment regarding people being arrested for doing 20 over, pump the brakes big guy. Is it stupid and unsafe, yes. Noone is arguing that. In fact none is arguing whether cyclists have the right to the lane. Everyone is arguing for safety, and taking the lane much slower than vehicles during rush our is not only unsafe but it's stupid give the associated risk.

Stopping power of cars is effective yet causing motorists to quickly hit the brakes and change lanes during RUSH HOUR causes a lot of unnecessary risk to everyone. We do not live in a perfect world man. The road is not utopia. Cars speed and tailgate and are distracted all the time. This isn't a time to make a martyr over taking the lane, its time to be smart and every cyclist on the road needs to be a proponent for the cause. That requires respect for the motorists as well because this is not a perfect world.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to know in what universe it is easier and safer to dodge an object coming fast from behind you, than to dodge a static one that is ahead of you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
billdsd wrote:
The speed limit is 45mph.

https://goo.gl/maps/Vhkgs

First post of this thread which remains unedited says the posted limit was 55mph.
Follow the Google Maps link that I posted. It shows the speed limit sign at the top of the hill.

Quote:
But for arguments sake lets say the speed limit is lower. It is definitely a safe assumption that cars normally travel the expected 5-10mph over the limit. We also know from reports of the cyclists strava file that he did not maintain 43mph but instead was "cruising" slower than that.

So lets assume 45+10= 55mph for vehicles and 43-x = cyclists speed at RUSH HOUR. Still, do the math.

As far as your outlandish comment regarding people being arrested for doing 20 over, pump the brakes big guy. Is it stupid and unsafe, yes. Noone is arguing that. In fact none is arguing whether cyclists have the right to the lane. Everyone is arguing for safety, and taking the lane much slower than vehicles during rush our is not only unsafe but it's stupid give the associated risk.

Stopping power of cars is effective yet causing motorists to quickly hit the brakes and change lanes during RUSH HOUR causes a lot of unnecessary risk to everyone. We do not live in a perfect world man. The road is not utopia. Cars speed and tailgate and are distracted all the time. This isn't a time to make a martyr over taking the lane, its time to be smart and every cyclist on the road needs to be a proponent for the cause. That requires respect for the motorists as well because this is not a perfect world.
Again, you haven't been riding like this for years like I have or decades like many I know have.

You're simply not understanding the fact that because motorists can see bicyclists in the middle of the lane from far away that they deal with them in a way that makes the bicyclist safe. If your logic was correct, then buses, garbage trucks, loaded 18 wheelers, cement trucks and all other slow vehicles would be getting rear ended almost constantly. They don't because overtaking drivers see them and react to them. There is no place where bicyclists are as visually conspicuous as when they are in the middle of the lane. It even helps with distracted drivers. Distracted drivers who are looking forward develop tunnel vision. The best place to be seen is in the center of that tunnel, which is near the center of the lane.

You can keep pretending that you know more about bicycle safety than the League of American Bicyclists or Cycling Savvy or the authors of Cyclecraft or Effective Cycling or Bicycling Street Smarts, but you don't.
Last edited by: billdsd: May 21, 15 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

I don't think there's any reasonable question that it was legal for the cyclist to take the lane, since it's a narrow lane and California law gives cyclists the right to ride in the road and does not require that they ride hin the shoulder, no matter how wide it may be.

Whether it's safe under the circumstances is something for the cyclist to decide. We should t be ceding our right to do something completely legal and, in our judgment, safe just because motorists are ignorant of the law.

The law of self-preservation comes to mind. Its better to live to fight (ride) another day.

If the guy wants to set an example for "ignorant motorists" then he can succeed. But if he wants to exercise his rights then he's going about it the wrong way in THIS SITUATION. Thats like one lone peasant standing up to the king's army. He wants to fight for his rights, but if his goal is to enjoy those rights tomorrow then he's going about it the worst way possible, regardless of his "right" to do so.

And again, as far as "legally" taking a lane. Even motorists can be ticketed for safety hazards and going TOO SLOW. So lets pretend the posted limit was 45-55mph. Granny is driving along a 55mph road at 30mph during rush hour and gets ticketed. Or better yet, its raining or snowing out and the posted limit is 45 or 55mph but conditions make it unsafe to travel at the LEGAL limit...a person can still be ticketed for doing 50 in a 55 because the conditions didn't allow for safe execution of 55mph.

Basically my point is there is some subjectivity and gray area to "legally" traveling a road by car or by bike. Traveling them is a privilege and you must submit to the possibility that you may be required to alter you use of the road at times. The bike can not feasibly travel the same speed as the cars and the rush hour volume and speed makes a bicycle on the road a hazard to the cyclist and motorists simply because of the situation.

Take that same situation at noon with almost no traffic and we have a different story.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I just want to know in what universe it is easier and safer to dodge an object coming fast from behind you, than to dodge a static one that is ahead of you...
It's not about dodging something behind you. It's about making that they see you and can react to you appropriately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes its less about "being visible" and more about staying "out of the way". Especially when a large number of drivers are under the influence of stress, cell phones, pets, radios, CD players, Ipods, Ipads, VDRs and even drugs and alcohol.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Whareagle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whareagle wrote:
As a Level 1 Cycling coach, a past League Cycling Instructor, and a current CyclingSavvy Instructor, this thread grieves me.

Many of you are advocating edge cycling.

Many of you are advocating shoulder-cycling.

Many of you are advocating for infrastructure, mistaking that for 'advocacy'.

And some of you are advocating for 'Taking the Lane'.

I think we have a problem in the cycling and triathlon-cycling world, and it is our preoccupation with the term 'Vulnerable User'. We tend to think that we're impediments to the flow of traffic, and that we're "going to get squished" if we don't get out of the way of other, faster, road users. The fact of the matter is that as long as a travel lane is less than 14' wide, it's determined to be "Sub-Standard", per US DOT and FHWA. Ergo, in most states, Cyclists have the right to NOT SHARE THAT SUB-STANDARD lane with other road users, and should rightly 'Take the Lane'.

Furthermore, a SHOULDER is NOT the road... it is where road users should go for breakdowns, or if they're unable to control their cars, deal with distractions, etc. So, at least in Texas, the only place to legally kill a cyclist, is if they're riding on the shoulder.

Also, take note... the legal term "Practicable" does NOT mean "PRACTICAL". So, if you're a cyclist, taking the lane, YOUR safety, as the occupant AHEAD of other traffic, is paramount.

If the lane is Sub-Standard (and 98% of all roads in the US are less than 14' wide), you have the right to ride where YOU deem the road is safest. If that's in the right wheel-well, congratulations. You're controlling your lane. If that's dead-nuts in the middle of the lane, where the oil-stains usually are at traffic signals, again - congratulations... you're controlling your lane. IF you feel that your route is safest in the LEFT wheel well (RIGHT IN THE 3 degree line of sight for 99.999999% of all motorists, since the overwhelming majority of motorists have steering wheels on the left-side of the automobile).... Once again, congratulations... You're RIGHTFULLY, LEGALLY, taking the lane.

BUT....

When people advocate for Cycling-Only traffic control devices, like BIKE LANES, SEPARATED PATHS, BIKE BOXES, etc. , well, they're adding tremendous complexity to the 2-dimensional road. Bike lanes lead to right-hooks, blind left-crosses, door-zones, and let's face it - they're magnets for debris, which leads to flats, falls, and even risky avoidance maneuvers that can put cyclists BACK in the traffic lane that the bike lane was meant to avoid. Bike Boxes, which are expensive as hell to install and maintain, put the SLOWEST ROAD USER back in front of the Queue, which increases impedance of traffic.

We may THINK that we ALL WANT OUR OWN SPACE to ride unmolested, but as forum readers on Slowtwitch, and disciples of Jack, Andy, and Tom A, we ALL understand the fragility of our expensive, aero, low- rolling resistance vehicles and equipment and apparel, and we ALL understand the expense that comes from that mote of glass, that tiny tac or staple, which can lead to at best a slow leak, at worst a quick blowout. We also understand the inevitable SQUEEZE that comes in the 3 feet that exist between a parked Suburban, the white line of the bike lane, and passing traffic.

So think hard folks. Think REALLY hard. Do you want a 9-11' wide space, that's broomed by every other road user, is usually free from debris, and puts you SQUARE IN THE LINE OF SIGHT of ALL OTHER ROAD USERS, thus giving them AMPLE OPPORTUNITY to PAUSE, SIGNAL, and PASS by CHANGING LANES (the absolute simplest of actions, thus impeding NO ONE), or do you want 'YOUR OWN SPACE', where you're AT RISK of doors, people, parked cars, debris, etc.?

Duffy, I'm really sorry, but I think the absolute best thing you could have done, would have been to simply acknowledge that the cyclist was ahead of you, and then signaled to change lanes. That would have cost you nothing. Instead, you honked, which led to an altercation, which led to you going after Helen's Cyclery, which led to this dialogue (which I'm sort of glad we're having, but sort of disgusted by it as well).

Sadly, I believe in California, if a bike lane exists, a cyclist is required to ride in it, for better or for worse, unless the cyclist deems that his or her safety is being compromised. Since motorists don't have the same viewpoint as cyclists, and EACH ROAD USER MUST WAIT HIS OR HER TURN (first come, first served, based on the law of the SEA, which is where we got the laws of traffic for the land...), then the smart, safe, mature thing is to realize that the cyclist is there for a reason, none of us have privy TO that reason, and we must find an opportunity to - again - pause, and then signal and pass when safe. More road users need to understand this. Since 99.9999999% of all people reading this also have driver's licenses, I would beg you to at least consider it.

Twitchers - we, as cyclists and triathletes MUST GROW UP. We MUST implement CYCLIST, not CYCLING, but CYCLIST Education programs. WE MUST follow the rules of the road. Signal your intentions, follow all traffic signals, and BE VISIBLE. This cyclist was doing what was most right for him or herself at the time of the interaction, nothing more, nothing less. Roads were not built to favor one type of transportation over another, unless they're private. They are built and maintained by reasonably intelligent engineers (Politicians always F it up for cyclists in some "The Help" book fashion, to make segregation seem appropriate and wanted), for the transportation of PEOPLE, and GOODS. This cyclist was out on the road, doing something, and going somewhere for some reason. Don't pass judgment. Just.... PASS. Not a punishment pass... a legal, safe, lane-changing pass. 2 seconds. No problem.

It helps to stay on multi-laned roads, because, honestly, traffic can PASS.

I'll leave with some links to some essays and graphics that may help. I won't respond to my own post. I have coaching and programs to write and do, but I URGE ALL OF YOU to go to the following sites, and register for classes. You may think you know everything, but there's always a nugget we can take home that may make a difference. It won't blow your ego, or your ride. I promise.

http://www.abea.bike
http://www.iamtraffic.org
http://www.cyclingsavvy.org
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/smart-moves/
http://commuteorlando.com/...3/mindful-bicycling/
http://commuteorlando.com/...ations/lane-control/
http://commuteorlando.com/...how-bike-lanes-work/
http://commuteorlando.com/...ations/group-riding/
http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/
http://charleysbicyclelab.com/.../photo-1-550x440.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/...Xl1riu8b2o1_1280.jpg

Good luck and safe cycling to all of you, regardless of your intent.

This is awesome. I'm glad to hear from someone with sense on this board from time to time. I would that you could force feed all the debris lane lovers in my area some of your common sense and experience.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Thank you for starting such an epic thread. I don't think we have had one of these since the surfing lamb one.

^^^This^^^

The thing I want to know is whether the cyclist in question was wearing a gorilla costume, trucker cap, and cutting the course?

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at this through Street View I'm also noticing that the shoulder ends and is replaced by a right turn only lane, setting up a shoulder riding cyclist for a right hook. Right hook risk goes up dramatically as bicycle speeds go up because motorists have strong tendency to underestimate the speed of bicyclists. This shoulder is dangerous for bicyclists. I'm pretty sure that's why there are no bike lane signs or symbols on it. It's certainly wide enough but it's just not safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
billdsd wrote:

You're simply not understanding the fact that because motorists can see bicyclists in the middle of the lane from far away that they deal with them in a way that makes the bicyclist safe.

You can keep pretending that you know more about bicycle safety than the League of American Bicyclists or Cycling Savvy or the authors of Cyclecraft or Effective Cycling or Bicycling Street Smarts, but you don't.

The error in your judgment is that you're ASSUMING drivers will all do this! The entire premise of our stance is that safety should trump your right to do something. The entire premise of your argument is an ASSUMPTION that it's all rainbows and butterflies on the highways.

The best piece of advice I was ever given when learning to drive was "always be careful of the other drivers." THAT makes you a defensive driver, being ready and ADAPTING to your environment. And that can change from mile to mile or street to street.

Most of us would agree, that in order to return home in one piece to your loved ones, that its better to be safe than sorry. I don't trust other drivers when I'm in my car so I certainly don't place blind trust in them on a bike during rush hour.

I believe most drivers should know the rights of cyclists' better and I think most cyclists should learn to be a bit forgiving as well.

How is this so hard to understand?

edited for grammar
Last edited by: Yeeper: May 21, 15 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMyBest wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Thank you for starting such an epic thread. I don't think we have had one of these since the surfing lamb one.

^^^This^^^

The thing I want to know is whether the cyclist in question was wearing a gorilla costume, trucker cap, and cutting the course?

He was on his way to ask a friend about using extra T before his race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Sometimes its less about "being visible" and more about staying "out of the way". Especially when a large number of drivers are under the influence of stress, cell phones, pets, radios, CD players, Ipods, Ipads, VDRs and even drugs and alcohol.
You think you're out of the way but then you get to the bottom of the hill and they think you're going slower than you are and they just barely pass and turn right in front of you in the right turn only lane after the shoulder ends and you slam into the side of their car.

It is about being visible and making it clear that they can't pass within the same lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that in the case of cycling that "Legally right" and "Personal safety" may not be one in the same?

When I was riding alot rarely was I asking my self the question "Is what I'm doing legally right?". The most often asked question to myself was "Is what I am doing safe?" In many cases I had the "Legal right" to do things that I purposefully DID NOT do because they weren't safe. Like it or not a 15lb pound and completely exposed rider of that bike will never win an encounter with a 2500 lb+ vehicle, never. Attempt to "Prove" and take control of my legal rights under such conditions is a fools errand.

This is particularly true since the majority of car drivers have no clue about the legal rights of cyclists and many of those that do care no more about those rights then many other rights of others they violate on a regular basis.

I find this entire debate rather foolish. People need to ride as defensively as possible even if that means giving up some of their rights. Hard to claim your rights another day when you're compressed inside the wheel well of an SUV.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless they are under the influence of any the things I noted and others that I did not. Just today at lunch, driving my truck down a 4 lane corridor in my small town, I saw several people talking on cell phones and one guy punching a text on his phone. This was in a 1.5 mile trip from my office to the bank. People are distracted as hell and I for one am not going to pretend that I am visible on a busy highway on bike. You are more than welcome to feel that way if you choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding in the middle of the lane has a small effect to help in that respect. However, the latest data shows that about 70% of drivers use their smart phones when driving. It's spread across talking, texting, facebooking, facetiming, etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/.../distracted_driving/
This is the data from AT&T
http://about.att.com/..._beyond_texting.html

People ram cars, trucks, semis ahead of them, and you really believe that you're lowering your risk by riding in the middle of the highway?

In theory, if everyone respected the rules AND no one was driving while engaging in other activities (I'm sure Duffy will chime in with creative stuff there) then I'd agree with you that riding in the middle is safer.

The reality is very different though. People don't pay attention and riding in the middle of the lane in a fast moving traffic lane is just a bad idea. Where I lived before, we had several roads similar to PCH, with a fair bit of fast traffic, a shoulder with debris etc. I've rarely seen anyone thinking the traffic lane was safer because there were no debris. And I've certainly never seen anyone trying to argue that it was safer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
The error in you judgment is that your ASSUMING drivers will all do this! The entire premise of our stance is that safety should trump your right to do something. The entire premise of your argument is an ASSUMPTION that it's all rainbows and butterflies on the highways.
You're the one who believes it's rainbows and butterflies on the road.

Bicycle drivers recognize and compensate for bad driving behavior. That's the essence of it. Safety is our number one priority. Bicycle driving is based upon analysis of collisions in the real world. It's based upon statistical probabilities. There's no data in any study to support the notion that using the full lane increases the likelihood of a collision. There's millions of miles of rider experience from people who've been practicing it over the last 3/4 of a century to say that it's safer.

The problem is that you don't understand why it works. I've tried to explain it in simple terms but you made up your mind about taking the lane long before this thread was started and you're not about to accept that you could have been wrong about it.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

You are now comparing a four lane main highway in Cali during rush hour to a rural road with tractors and the occasional pickup. Oh and then you throw in "anti-cyclist bigots" as your term of the day.

Your credibility is now completely shattered. Have a nice day, I hope your defensive riding works out for you and that every driver who happens to come up behind you gets slowed down in time, and that no one ever runs you over while you are exercising your rights. I will continue to pick my battles and ride to the right when I can and take the lane when necessary which IMO is safer and will do less damage to the motorist/cyclist relationship.

This thread further reminds me of the lack of common sense and logic in California and why I wish Californians would stop moving to my state.

You asserted: You can't find stats of cyclists being rear-ended going 10mph in the middle of a 55mph lane because the vast majority of us are smart enough to not do it.

Your assertion was not limited to a four lane main highway. It was stated more generally and I cited a fact that refuted your assertion. And I don't see why, if it's truly inherently dangerous to ride in the lane on a 55 mph 4 lane highway, that's it's not at least as dangerous to ride in the lane on a 55 mph 2 lane highway.

That said, the practice of using the full lane, including on roads like PCH, is gaining momentum throughout the country. Almost universally the reports are unanimous: it's much safer.

I hope it's not news to you that anti-cyclist bigotry is one of the last types of bigotries that remain acceptable in our society. Most people simply believe that bicyclists in the way of cars are doing something wrong, and they judge accordingly. The effects are seen in every aspect of our society, from unfair laws, to unfair enforcement, not to mention intolerance by the public at large, including, as seen in this thread, by other cyclists.

Quote Reply

Prev Next