Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
There's a bike lane there? Anyone have a link to a Google street view showing this alleged bike lane? I hope we all distinguish bike lanes from shoulders, though even cops have been known to conflate them. But we shouldn't.

If there is no bike lane, but there is an unreliable rubble-filled shoulder, what do you expect the cyclist to do? He can take his chances riding in that shoulder, or ride next to the stripe where every third or fourth car will result in a close and dangerous buzz pass. Or, he can do what he did. He can take the lane causing motorists to have to change lanes and pass him with plenty of safe passing distance. Maybe they'll even have to stop texting pay attention and slow down for a few seconds! Oh the horror! Seriously. He's an asshole for making you change lanes?

You even we're back together at the next light. What is the big rush? And honking? You're THAT guy calling the lawful cyclist an asshole? Wow.

You really need to read or re-read this thread.

Just because a rider can, doesn't mean he/she should.
If a rider can't dodge dangerous obstacles at speed X then he/she shouldn't be riding at speed X. So shoulder, bike lane, driving lane, rail trail, doesn't matter. The road can have just as much dangerous debris for a cyclist as a shoulder or dedicated bike lane. At 43mph all it takes is some gravel, glass or a pothole and all of these are found in the middle of the road as well.

If there is a drop off, close guardrail or a skinny lane/shoulder then thats one thing. But when you have a riding area as wide and clean as has been proven in this thread, there is no safe or logical reason to take the lane of a populated road.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
j-hud wrote:
How do we do a better job of policing our own?

Why don't we have this same mentality when in our cars, and we see other drivers doing stupid-ass stuff? Like I see every single day on my drive to work?

We somehow manage to understand that one single driver doesn't represent all other drivers as a class.

Why should that be any different for bikes? yes, I know that people will come up with all sorts of explanations for this. I won't argue with that --- what I'll argue is that we should change that mentality. (it's the same mentality that results in all sorts of stereotyping).

Who says we don't? Haven't you heard of road rage? People get shot for that. I've rolled my window down to chew out a bad driver on more than one occasion. Like duffy, they would stupid to take it to the next level with me, but I always hope they do.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is conceding that it is perfectly legal to take the lane in that situation, but when you read the CA law, I do not think it is clearly legal, given the photographs of the shoulder we have seen in this thread:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/...p/vc/d11/c1/a4/21202

You would have to make the case that there is enough road debris in that shoulder to make riding in it unsafe. So far the argument is, "at 43mph, there might be debris up ahead which would be unsafe to steer around or ride over at that speed".

I do not think that is a bulletproof argument. There is some validity to it, but you can also make the argument against it that the law does not say the possibility of road debris allows you to take the lane. It must be the actual presence of dangerous road debris.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly on the side of the "cyclists" in the actual situation that occurred on the road except that they keep comparing riding on a 10 foot wide shoulder to a gutter. I leave debris ridden shoulders on fast downhills if there is no traffic, but if there is traffic, I slow down and dodge the debris on the shoulder. Its way less dangerous than fast approaching cars in my opinion. But that doesn't make me right or wrong, just different sensibilities.

But i used to ride a gutter over a bridge on one ride i liked and that was a gutter. I'm talking on the concrete, not the tar, over grates, gutter. This is a big huge shoulder, which may not be great for a high speed downhills but it is a big huge shoulder none the less.

edit: it does pain me to side with them most of them are arrogant pricks and douche bags of the highest order. I think they are getting less constructive about this and Duffy is getting more constructive.
Last edited by: Runless: May 21, 15 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Disclosure: I am the President of Velo Club La Grange, one of the largest (if not the largest) cycling clubs and racing teams in Southern California. We are sponsored by Helen's Cycles, and I count the owner and many, many of the folks that work there as friends. The rider you describe is on another (much smaller) team sponsored by Helen's. I know of all of their riders and several of them are good friends. And I know the rider you are referring to and discussed this with him.

Question to the OP: Are you from SoCal and do you ride "Hwy. 1 in Malibu" often? I ask this because there is not a single local rider that refers to this road as "Hwy. 1" - instead, it is universally referred to as "PCH" by local riders. BTW I am originally fron NorCal and this is one of those things that distinguishes the two regions, similar to the way those in SoCal say "the" before freeways while those in NorCal do not. E.g. "take the 101 to the 405" vs. "take 101 to 405."

I ask this not to suggest that an outsider's opinion is invalid, but instead to suggest that perhaps those that have logged thousands of miles on this road may have a certain set of experiences that result in their "taking the lane." And it is worth noting that PCH is a 4-lane road (2 lanes each direction), so as a driver you always have the ability to change lanes and move around and slower traffic occupying the right lane. Now reasonable minds can certainly differ on the proper use of PCH as a bicyclist, but here goes:

As I said, I talked to the rider. There are two sides to every story after all. I have known him for several years and he is a no-nonsense guy. And here is his account.

The incident happened coming down "Pepperdine Hill" (eastbound/northbound PCH) this morning. The rider was descending what is a pretty steep hill, it hits minus 7-7.5%. You can get a lot of speed here. I know, as I have the Strava KOM for a segment that includes the descent (https://www.strava.com/segments/2576864). No, I did not create this segment nor do I particularly care who holds the "record" on Strava. I include the link so that you can see for yourself the area of PCH in question and the grade involved.

Now let's be clear about something. That stretch of PCH does NOT feature a bike lane. Yes, it has a shoulder, but is is littered with road debris. And I checked the rider's Strava data for this ride. He hit a top speed of 42.9mph coming down that hill. And his average HR was 123bpm, so he was not hammering. You do tend to pick up speed on tailwind descent, after all. I don't know about you guys, but I don't descend through a glass, rock and timber-littered road shoulder (yes, there are actually branches in the shoulder there) when descending over 40mph.

As a side note, there IS a bike lane on PCH now (recently unveiled), but it covers only a 2 mile stretch of the road and many locals have expressed the opinion that it makes riding on PCH much MORE dangerous, as it places riders in a clear door zone with respect to parked cars. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-MjRJ7fPo

OK back to the incident. The rider tells me he was definitely in the lane, but more to the right side of it. Make no mistake, he acknowledges "taking the lane." For the reasons noted above. He then reports that the OP didn't simply honk after he passed, but instead laid on the horn as he passed. The rider didn't react, just let him go. The OP then got stuck in traffic at the red light at the bottom of the hill and the rider passed the stopped traffic on the right. Again, I see the Strava file and this was at 20mph - not hammering. The OP then caught up, rolled alongside the rider and began lecturing the rider about how to ride his bike. At this point, the rider tells the OP to "fuck off." The OP give the rider the finger, and then the rider gives the OP the finger.

Note that the rider hasn't constructed a story where he is a blameless angel. He admits to cursing at the driver. But this was only after the driver laid on his horn while he is coming down a very fast tailwind descent and then pulled alongside to lecture him. I would certainly counsel my rider friend to not curse at drivers in the future, but I can also 100% understand where he is coming from, having been harassed by the OP for justifiably taking the lane. I suspect it angered my friend to find out that the driver was a "fellow cyclist" than if he had simply been another clueless driver.

Moreover, the OP's post and the "yeah, what an asshole!" comments are in respect to the rider's having taken the lane in arrogance. But it was completely justified and I would hope that if the OP ever has the chance to ride that section of PCH, that he will do the same for his own safety.

To recap:

Steep descent.
No bike lane, just a shoulder littered with glass and other road debris.
Rider hits a top speed of 42.9mph on the descent - rider takes lane in process.
Driver is "inconvenienced" by having to change lanes.
Driver instigates incident with cyclist.

This is duffy you are talking about dude. I take offense to your tone.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. If whoever wrote that (absurd) blog post is representative of the cyclist culture in the area, I am sure glad I don't ride around there. I cannot imagine stronger evidence for all of those people who think cyclists are self absorbed assholes than that blog.

The one point on which I will have to agree with some of your detractors, Duffy, is in the use of the horn. I think the horn is always perceived as aggressive, even if it is not intended as aggressive. I think you were right to be concerned, as a cyclist, about this cyclists choice of riding location and the potential risks that posed to other cyclists. I think this cyclist was wrong to flare up when you tried to have a conversation with them about it. However, do you think that attempted conversation might have gone differently if it had not been preceded by the honk? I don't think you can use the horn to "make him think" about his choice - all he is going to think is that you are attacking him.

I have long argued that cars need two horns - a friendly sounding one and an alarming one. It would make us much better car-to-car communicators and reduce instances of misunderstood intent (I have wheeled around prepared to defend myself against friends who were just trying to say hello - the horn always sounds aggressive, especially if you are on a bike). Because that is unlikely to happen any time soon, I only hit my horn if I would be using a raised voice to address the person (which is why I don't even know what my horn sounds like).

Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [DavidUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidUK wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
You lucky buggers! As we say over here in West Yorkshire "you don't know you're born!". Christ, I would love a shoulder like that on any of the roads I ride on. Here are some of the roads that I ride all the time. And before you say "I wouldn't ride a road like that", let me tell you, if you wouldn't ride a road like that and you lived over here in the UK, you wouldn't ride at all.

You can imagine how much drivers enjoy sharing the roads with cyclists over here! If I had a shoulder like that one you posted on PCH I would live in it. Lucky sods ;-)

Isnt that Snake Pass from Glossop?
Getting any kind of abuse when riding Langett Res to Holme Moss Snake pass Strines are badges to be worn with pride. ;-)
And he's not kidding about living on the hard shoulder, there are whole communities doing that over here!!

I have seen many roads like this around me. I have also seen bikers on them which I think they are stupid. There are lots of places folks can ride that is not basically
giving the finger to cars, IMO. This is why I have found the only route I ride on outside. Wide shoulders. And I do it early Sunday so I minimize the cars. I could
care less about what the law is. I want to get home alive.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I am born and raised in Santa Barbara ca. I referred to the road as "hwy 1" because most people who read ST wouldn't know what PCH means. I personally use "PCH" "hwy 1" and "the 1" interchangebly. I do not ride on this stretch of road because I have no reason or desire to do so.

I do drive on this stretch of road quite often (several times a month over the last decade). I have never seen a cyclist do what your friend did.

As for the incident in question, there is no way that you can convince me that the rider chose the safer option. Is the (very wide) shoulder/bike lane (for the record it doesn't say "bike lane" on the road there but it is for all intent and purpose a bike lane) bumpy? Yes it's not as smooth as the road. Maybe a cyclist should not go 42 mph on that section (he wasn't going that fast as I approached him). His bike has brakes, no?

As I have stated previously in this thread I understand taking a lane. I would, however, never ever take the lane where your friend did.

As far as "laying on the horn" I'm not really going to get into varying descriptions of how I honked. It is entirely possible the the vehicle behind me (tan truck) honked at him as well. In my rear view mirror I saw your friend gesturing at that person also so it appears there was an exchange of words/hand gestures between them as well. I don't know for sure.

I did honk my horn and I did see him in my mirror giving me the finger (in addition to some kind of gesture to the guy behind me).

You might want to let your friend know that he should not only ride in a safer and more considerate manner, he should also think twice about flipping the bird and telling people to fuck off. He really has no idea who he may be dealing with. Words and gestures like that can quickly escalate into physical contact. He endangered himself by riding the way he did and he endangered himself again with his words and gestures aimed at a man that he doesn't know anything about.

He would be wise to be more careful and considerate in the future.

Thank you for speaking here on his behalf.

Theforge concurs.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Europe this is the way they build roads and if you want to be a cyclist you have to ride on them. But there is much more understanding between cyclists and motorists in Europe than there is here and for the most part, everyone is respectful of each other. I always felt very safe in France and Italy on roads like this, even with lots of cars around, and the cars did not seem upset with cyclists at all. They make the pass when they can, and cyclists stay all the way to the side when they can.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a reply to you in particular Duffy.

Whats with everyone hating on the horn? The horn has many reasons and your car can't pass inspection without one in many states. When Im driving and coming up on a cyclist I always give a tap on the horn about a hundred feet back to let them know theres a car back. When I pass, I usually give them plenty of birth which is another universal sign that I'm respecting your life and doing my best not to kill you. Sometimes I'll even give a double tap on the horn quickly which (depending on your horn) usually comes off as polite and "hey there ya go."

To anyone saying drivers are instigating by honking their horn, I say theres almost an obligation to give a horn to let them know you're coming up. I am NOT saying to lay on your horn. But a tap of the horn sends a very different message than a repeated honking or blatant laying on the horn in frustration. Some cyclists need to check their fragile egos if they can't handle a horn.

The other part of this thread that kills me is the posters who are forgetting they are going significantly slower than moving traffic. Even CARS have posted speed minimums that will cause a safety hazard. Surely most cyclists are going 15mph+ slower than traffic on most roads. Around me its mostly 40mph-55mph. Do the math. If a car moving that slow has been deemed a safety hazard to warrant a speed minimum than certainly a cyclist poses the same hazard when taking the lane.

You can have a legal right to navigate the road as a motorist or cyclist, but you can still cause a safety hazard while executing this right and be in the wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on the horn. That was probably interpreted in a way that it wasn't meant. At the time I thought that maybe this cyclist just didn't know there were cars behind him. It was, at that moment, the only logical conclusion my mind could come up with for why he was there.

In the future I will not use my horn.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people think a motorist on a cellphone can keep a straight line. How many think the motorist on the cellphone will drift right. As in right into the shoulder on their right. That shoulder the original poster claims to be so safe. Let go of your steering wheel keep your hands close to it and your foot over the brake next time you are on a deserted road. See which way your car pulls. I bet it pulls to the right. Cars have a naturally tendency to pull to the right. While I'm not familiar with that particular stretch of the road I wonder how hard it is to see a cyclist drop the cellphone when you see them in front of you. Turn the steering wheel left and move left into the inside lane to pass a cyclist on a 4 lane road. Not hard at all no need to honk etc. Especially if the cyclist is controlling that lane and you can see them well enough in advance.

Granted no one should be using the middle finger. It's better to just ignore ignorant motorists or know it all cyclists like the posters. Or play dumb when they shout stuff. I had a motorist shout "right right right" at me. I responded with "you are not making sense" Then he kept shouting "Right" So I was like "Oh you want to turn right let me make some room for you" and I moved a bit more left. Then He shouted "Ride the line" I yelled "but I am already pretty close to the line" pointing to the yellow line. "I can't ride the line I will be in oncoming traffic"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely post, I was riding Sunday going south on a road with no shoulder but early Sunday so light traffic. I was coming up to an intersection where east/west traffic had to stop via a stop sign. I see guy and gal in a convertible vette roll to a stop coming from the west. I put out my left arm to signal I am turning left. Guys see's me, then as I'm about to turn he starts rolling across. I start breaking but he then brakes too a couple feet into the road. As I'm turning to head west he does say "sorry" so I smiled and said, "you're good, have a nice day". I could have just waived, nodded etc. and said nothing but I feel compelled with all the crap that goes around to be friendly, especially when I'm NOT at fault and am following the rules. Hopefully being nice at a time when it's most difficult to be nice will have an impact.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [MarcC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarcC wrote:
Cars have a naturally tendency to pull to the right.

Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To hit you while riding in the main lane only requires someone to not slow down enough.

To hit you in the shoulder requires them to not slow down enough AND to completely depart their lane.

Since the chain of mistakes needed to kill you in the shoulder is longer, I'd say it is safer. If someone has such poor car control that they're going well out of their lane while checking their phone, I'd think they would've hurled themselves off a mountain before they get to you.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: May 21, 15 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
MarcC wrote:

Huh?

He's not wrong about that - roads are usually crowned so that rain will get pulled towards the ditch, and that'll tend to make your car very slightly pull to the right.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: May 21, 15 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I leave debris ridden shoulders on fast downhills if there is no traffic, but if there is traffic, I slow down and dodge the debris on the shoulder."

exactly. this isn't a binary choice. leaving the shoulder for the slow lane is NO BRAINER on fast descents. but not on a busy, trafficked highway, if there is traffic at that time.

my decision of "right" in this case is road and traffic specific. i would never ride on the shoulder, which is the repository of road debris, at 45mph. never. but i wouldn't go out in the lane for a 45mph jaunt on a fairly major artery containing, at the moment i was riding, a lot of 60mph vehicular traffic commuting to/from work.

in this case, i'd have moved out of the sholder and taken the slow lane on my 45mph descent if there were no cars behind me. i'd have slowed to 30mph or 35mph or whatever was safe and stayed on the shoulder on this descent if there were cars behind me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly was the point of that first paragraph? Are you trying to contend that you are in just as much (or more?) danger from cars riding on that wide shoulder than you would be in the lane? Note that we aren't talking about legality, just what are your odds. There are (different) dangers in both situations. Are you really convinced that your odds are better not getting hit by your inattentive cellphone driver in the middle of the lane at -15mph of traffic?
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused here. You advocated a 3 foot rule for the state of California in hopes that would persuade people who should know cyclist are entitled to the road to follow another law in hopes of promoting cyclist safety. The classic, if people disregard one law, we should add another. Yet you are now saying it is OK for cyclist to disregard rules and law as pointed out by another poster here (not duffy) because we all like riding fast. Sounds to me like laws are good when they promote your interest, but not when they don't. Interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marc, welcome to slowtwitch.

can i point you to post 173 above, to camscott, and ask you the same question i asked him?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the US, cars actually are (or were) designed to have a slight pull to the right so that if you drifted you went to the outside, not towards oncoming traffic.

The crown of the road provides for water shedding, but has the same effect.

Edit - I stand corrected, they are not suppose to. Alignment is off.... Old wives tale. I was wrong.
Last edited by: prattzc: May 21, 15 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And don't forget target fixation, cars tend to go where the eyes are looking. A scared driver watching a cyclist tends to drift that direction.

AHare wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
MarcC wrote:

Huh?

He's not wrong - roads are usually crowned so that rain will get pulled towards the ditch, and that'll tend to make your car very slightly head to the right.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Whats with everyone hating on the horn?

After having lived in several parts of the U.S., I've learned that horn use is very location dependent.

In Boston people use horns all the time, to the point where living in an apartment above a 4-way stoplight was pretty brutal.

In Southern California honking is generally a gesture of impatience or anger - not a helpful warning or a "hey there ya go!" It generally means "I'm one step from reaching into the glovebox for my Glock."
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Sounds to me like laws are good when they promote your interest, but not when they don't. Interesting."

i don't see it that way. let me ask you a question. and, can we leave the typical lavender room argue-for-the-sake-of-arguing behind?

i live in a rural area. by choice. because of cycling. it's a hilly, mountainous area. right outside my house is a 14mi ascent/descent. pretty twisty. rarely driven, except by cafe racers on the weekends.

if i descend this hill at 25mph, or 20mph, i can stay to the right safely. if i descend this hill at 45mph, i can't descend this hill hugging the right safely. (some people don't think i can ride this road safely hugging the right in any situation, but that's another topic.)

"as far to the right as practicable" changes based on speed. are you saying that i should never ride this descent at a faster speed than necessary to maintain a shoulder-hugging line? or, is it okay to move away from the shoulder as long as i am not impeding traffic (and breaking another vehicle code article)?

in my opinion, i am allowed to ride at a faster speed, as long as i am not exceeding the maximum allowable speed, and
"as far to the right as practicable" has to be calibrated to the speed i carry during the descent.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
In Europe this is the way they build roads and if you want to be a cyclist you have to ride on them. But there is much more understanding between cyclists and motorists in Europe than there is here and for the most part, everyone is respectful of each other. I always felt very safe in France and Italy on roads like this, even with lots of cars around, and the cars did not seem upset with cyclists at all. They make the pass when they can, and cyclists stay all the way to the side when they can.

finally! I really don't understand the reason for so much friction that I read about here on ST in USA. where i live (mexico) i have a 2-lane (each side) highway i ride. it is the ONLY road available. there are trucks, semis, buses etc. without exception, cars will move to the next lane to pass us (we ride on the shoulder). there are a LOT of colectivos picking up and dropping off (like shared taxis) and will stop on a dime and use the shoulder to pick up/drop off. We are VERY respectful of them and will stop behind them rather than pass if it looks like they want to come out onto the lane or might leave soon. We ALWAYS wave when they give us the right of way. Coming to gloriettas (those roundshaped concrete things you go around instead of making a left or right) traffic will ALWAYS give us the right of way to come before them even when we don't have it (glorietta travel always should have right of way).

i have had motorists stop ahead of me in teh shoulder and offer me a cold gatorade. I have had motos (we have tricicolos and motos using the shoulder also) offering to let me draft. WHY? What is the huge difference? I wonder if it is the fact that kids really don't drive here. There is no car culture. kids don't even get driver's licenses. it is not unusual to see horse or mule transport used (again, in the shoulder). so most of the drivers are professionals but where i live there are a lot of Europeans with their private cars also. I'm not sure what it is but we don't have road rage or attacks against cyclists. also the bicycle here is mainly used for transportation.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply

Prev Next