Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not necessary - my LBS is taking care of me, my posts were more along the lines of advice for others. Thanks for the advice - and recommend others do as you suggest if their LBS isn't taking care of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the fix is the low stack kit and new bolt but I don't know the details.

I PMed Mark who put me in touch with a customer service person at specialized (I believe it was the rep who covered my bike shop). He said that they anticipate to have the new equipment a week from this past Monday (6 days from now) and they would go out to bike shops the next day. I doubt that installing the parts yourself would be an option right now since I don't believe there is any supply of them.

Assuming there is no delay in approval, I believe they could start getting people set up towards the end of next week or beginning of the following week. This puts me about 1 week out from FL 70.3. I think there is a good chance I could have been given free bars if I really screamed for them but if Specialized was confident that they could get me set up in time for my race, screaming over 1 week didn't seem like the right thing to do. I'll probably check in next Monday to make sure everything is on schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [JaxGator80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is worth while information. Just hate waiting and not knowing and given no updates.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Runninfool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said before earlier in the thread specialized is waiting on government approval and from what I have been told they have the parts for the fix ready to ship once they get that approval... Unfortunately the government is not moving as fast as specialized would like...

Jeol
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have uncovered....the delay is with the CSPC. They are a government entity, so I imagine they are moving like molasses. Specialized (ad us) is/are at their mercy.....
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LBS is helping me out. Because of how my cockpit is configured... I've received approval to install an alternate sourced cockpit... I would say Spec stepped up to the plate for me.

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [landho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
landho wrote:
My LBS is helping me out. Because of how my cockpit is configured... I've received approval to install an alternate sourced cockpit... I would say Spec stepped up to the plate for me.

Same here.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
landho wrote:

Same here.

Can either of you provide more details re your configuration and the alternately sourced cockpit? I'm currently in a waiting phase here; I never heard from my LBS (learned of the stop sale here) so eventually I emailed them about it. They said they'd look into it but I haven't heard anything so far, 10 days later.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [cme18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cme18 wrote:
Can either of you provide more details re your configuration and the alternately sourced cockpit? I'm currently in a waiting phase here; I never heard from my LBS (learned of the stop sale here) so eventually I emailed them about it. They said they'd look into it but I haven't heard anything so far, 10 days later.

I sent you a PM...

-------------------------------
Wife says "Too Many Bikes"
I disagree :-))
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,

A quick announcement did just go out via Specialized Twitter and notes the same as below:

We are engaged in a safety recall involving the aerobar extension mounting hardware on Carbon Aerobars with Aero Stem and Hydroformed Alloy Aerobars. We’ve sold these aerobars separately and as original equipment on the following bike models:

2012-2015 Shiv models and 2013 Specialized Transition Apex.

If you are riding in the Oceanside Ironman 70.3 this week, contact Specialized Rider care at 1-800-722-4423 or Store_CustomerService@Specialized.com for on-site support.

Riders in the United States not riding at the Oceanside Ironman will be contacted by your retailers shortly.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for update. Good news I'm hoping.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

The Rider Care team is setup at the Oceanside 70.3 expo for any riders with affected aerobars. Please reach out to the rider care team to schedule a time to have your bike worked on. 1-800-722-4423 or Store_CustomerService@Specialized.com

The guys are setup as of tonight.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MITaerobike wrote:
Hey all,

The Rider Care team is setup at the Oceanside 70.3 expo for any riders with affected aerobars. Please reach out to the rider care team to schedule a time to have your bike worked on. 1-800-722-4423 or Store_CustomerService@Specialized.com

The guys are setup as of tonight.

Mark

Sorry if I missed it but what is the permanent fix besides the low stack option?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the low stack kit is the only permanent solution.
Last edited by: Garet Jax: Mar 26, 15 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Garet Jax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garet Jax wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the low stack kit is the only permanent solution.
I am in trouble then because my fitter said the low stack kit is definitely not an option for me.

Any official word???
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes loutriguy, Slowtwitch posted this a couple of hours ago:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...v_aerobars_4964.html

Looks like riders in the US are getting the low-stack modification:
http://slowtwitch.com/...terSpecConsumers.PDF

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
I am in trouble then because my fitter said the low stack kit is definitely not an option for me.

Any official word???

Why? With the low-stack clamp you can get the pads to within 1mm of your current stack measurement, unless you used every last spacer that came with your bike. The extensions will be level but the stack can be duplicated without trouble. Biggest hassle is rerouting cables, but the cockpit actually gets cleaner with the low-stack clamps. Can not comment on your hydration setup, that's an whole other discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is TriRig going to make something like the speed concept clamps for the shiv?
http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=clamps
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
willembad wrote:
loutriguy wrote:

Any official word???

Why? With the low-stack clamp you can get the pads to within 1mm of your current stack measurement, unless you used every last spacer that came with your bike. The extensions will be level but the stack can be duplicated without trouble. Biggest hassle is rerouting cables, but the cockpit actually gets cleaner with the low-stack clamps. Can not comment on your hydration setup, that's an whole other discussion.

For me the issue is pad setback. With the original bars you could get the pad mounting significantly in front or behind the basebar. With the low stack kit it's fixed in the middle of the basebar. Wondering how they plan to address this?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
For me the issue is pad setback. With the original bars you could get the pad mounting significantly in front or behind the basebar. With the low stack kit it's fixed in the middle of the basebar. Wondering how they plan to address this?

That makes sense. I guess a change in stem length could make up small reach changes. I don't understand why they can't make a clamp that just eliminates the pivot and uses two bolts like the Profile Design J4 or similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [willembad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the primary reason is that a new design would have slowed up the process of getting government approval for the fix since they would have started the testing from scratch. By using the existing low stack solution they greatly shortened the process.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
willembad wrote:
loutriguy wrote:

Any official word???

Contact Specialized they will make it right.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody get their bike fixed at Oceanside? Can you post a pic?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv carbon aerobar - Sop Sale Notice [pi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pi wrote:
Is TriRig going to make something like the speed concept clamps for the shiv?
http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=clamps
No plans at present. Specialized makes something pretty similar already.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv carbon aerobar - Stop Sale Notice [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Anybody get their bike fixed at Oceanside? Can you post a pic?

Not fixed by Specialized, but this is what the setup looks like with the low stack kit (with a single 20mm spacer)

[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/.../media/bar1.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s730.photobucket.com/.../media/bar2.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply

Prev Next