Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Have you done Kona before? If you take the show away from Kona (the pro’s, industry folks, breakfast with bob, coffee swim up boat, underwear run, ST party, TGINRP, etc), the race is really no different than any other Ironman.

The appeal of Kona to most is the show. If you take away the show, the demand won’t be the same.

I'm indifferent to the show. The only thing I want in a WC is a chance to compete against the best and to watch the world's top pros. As long as IM continues to attract the best AGers and Pros, I will keep trying to qualify. And in any case, if the world's best athletes are there, the show will follow.

One can make a reasonable argument that expanding the field to 5k and moving from Kona, to which some athletes are deeply attached, will lower interest in the WC and dilute the competitiveness of the field. My sense is that these concerns are overblown. I'm guessing there is a large population of athletes that have been excluded from Kona by a combination of price and distance. They will make up for the loss of the Kona diehards. Showcasing the female pros will also help grow the sport among women (and men).

I expect the women's AG field to get more competitive over time and the men's to have a modest drop off at best. I think this is a good move by IM, even if it has been rolled out in a typically clumsy manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Nice is technical compared to Kona. Otherwise, it's not particularly technical. I'm far from being a solid bike handler as will desert dude and a few here can attest to, but Nice, aside from one descent with 2 hairpins if I recall would not rate as technical for the vast vast majority of riders in Europe. This might be a consequence of the course selection in NA (not sure where you live) though. Most courses are not technical at all and on big highways.

i would actually argue that kona is more technical than nice because of the winds. kona participants have been lucky with the weather. i would feel a lot better about my safety on the nice course than on kona on a windy day. the only thing technical about nice is if you're unfamiliar with descending on pursuit bars. i have never liked pursuits with straight sections that just end. i always preferred pursuits with a 45° (or so) upturn at the end. this is what makes for problems. if i manufactured stuff still i'd make a little do-whacker that you could put at the end of your straight pursuits to brace against.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to disagree with that. But then I've lived for a long time in a really windy area with really stiff winds and gusts.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First world problems bro! (i kid i kid, yeah that couple is now going to likely have to make some choices on who gets to go, etc).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 1, 22 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
In theory yes it should be. You can only put what ~2500 total on race day there, but I don't believe the Women numbers are near that.

I’m not sure how it will go worldwide, but what I just saw at IMAZ slot allocation was these extra women in tri slots being taken in order of finish. There may have actually been more regular slot rolldowns than women in tri rolldowns. We should also keep in mind that this particular race was sold out long before these extra hundred slots were offered.

One issue cropping up is that some of the races advertised with the extra women in tri slots had these reduced with yesterdays announcement. That approach seems pretty spotty since these races could very well have attracted more women due to the depth of the extra slots allocated. Also doesn’t seem to make sense as, like you mention, they have a lot of Kona slots to fill.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
Not sure if this has been said but the Legacy Program is the easiest way to Maximize profits. You get one dummy (myself included) to pay a ridiculous entry fee at minimum 12 times....

They needed to 'target' me once and I delivered 12X.

Simple math tells me, that is maximizing profits.

A few "dummies" vs 3000 women? It looks to me that IM is trying to expand women and IM never does anything to lose money. My guess is if the number of women increases the legacy program could go away forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does the legacy program need to go away? Just have X amount allocated just like they have for people that raise a shit ton of money for IM and get spots, etc. I wouldn't think a program like that would ever want to go away as it gives "anyone" a chance to race Kona/WC.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
LzBones wrote:
I did the last edition of Japan IM - hardly any 'show' but it was a great event.

Still easily one of my top races, if not my favorite. But how about that middle school transition and hike up a trail due to bridge collapsing shortly before the race!

Agreed - it was a great race and the locals where very friendly/accommodating.

Don't forget the gravel section on the bike - though luckily it wasn't that long!

I had a pretty good ride and once I summited the mountain only sore one other cyclist before I reached that transition. A few times I wondered if I was lost as I seemed to be on these random roads in the middle of nowhere. I also sore no one on that trail section either. Not ashamed to say I walked some of the steeper sections.!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, just to clarify something you wrote and maybe out of context.

I´m from Spain, born in 1969. I can can asure you that women had SAME opportunities in their formative years (school, university...) to participate in sports than men had.

Slowman wrote:
markko wrote:
Slowman wrote:
aka_finto wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

This aspect of the split world's is going to be a very interesting to follow.

In fairness I think given the comparative costs of getting a brand presence to Kona vs. Nice (or wherever else the event may end up), you’ll need to give it a couple of years before making a judgement.

If sponsors follow the men regardless of location, it’s not a good look. Whereas if they choose to focus on the more accessible location then it can’t be seen as gender-driven

if this ends up being in Nice, and it's a multi-year deal, the big year will be the 2nd year. i don't think very many people have really thought through the optics of a women's only WC, pro and AG, in europe. upwards of 3000 women. it's not that this many women haven't raced in the same place at the same time. it's that this many women have never raced as the only gender, in a WC, same money as the male athletes, same number of qualifying athletes, and in europe. esp southern europe, where the percentage of women participating in the IM are way lower than in, say, the UK or countries on other continents. if this story is really told, properly, this is going to be a title IX moment for europe and it could well be that the sponsors and industry see this as a much bigger deal than they will for the men's version. this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

Most, if not all, team sports do this, so it is nothing revolutionary. Soccer WC in England was very successful, final in fully sold-out Wembley, similarly ice-hockey WC in Finland played in sold out arenas and media attention triathlon will never achieve.

what you write about is not surprising to me because its team, and because it's northern europe. if you go to an IM race just about anywhere in europe the most represented nationality is, of course, the country the race is held in. the second most was, until pretty recently and probably still is, the UK. a part if this is because the UK has been more gender egalitarian. the list of countries like this is pretty short. canada, the US, new zealand, australia. there's a reason why those countries field such strong womens olympic triathlon teams. this is less so in southern europe. you just don't see a third of the field in a triathlon on spain or italy made up of women, or at least you didn't the last time i looked at the stats. until pretty recently among italian or spanish nationals an IM in italy or spain might be 90 percent men. women until recently (and perhaps not even now) been highly represented in southern europe. this is why i think it will be fantastic to see 3000 women taking over the streets of nice (if that is where the race is held).

my stats might be outdated so my views might be outdated about women's participation rates in ironman in mediterranean countries. i hope they are. but if they're not then i suspect that's in part because endurance sport opportunities are less for women during their formative sports years. this is why i think the optics of an event like this in nice could really be big. and i don't mean the optics as in the idea, i mean the optics. the pictures. the visuals. i fully intend to be there to witness this.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
and the reported local hatred against triathletes.

I am not sure if things have changed recently, but I have not experienced this.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Undies run won't be same!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
laughable wrote:
Not sure if this has been said but the Legacy Program is the easiest way to Maximize profits. You get one dummy (myself included) to pay a ridiculous entry fee at minimum 12 times....

They needed to 'target' me once and I delivered 12X.

Simple math tells me, that is maximizing profits.

A few "dummies" vs 3000 women? It looks to me that IM is trying to expand women and IM never does anything to lose money. My guess is if the number of women increases the legacy program could go away forever.

I very much doubt that the number of women doing Ironman will dramatically increase overall as a result.The womens only Ironman race will just have slower women who wouldn't have been able to qualify before ( even with the women for tri initiative).I think women in the sport in general have different priorities in life and spending big bucks to race Ironman's isn't high on the list.Here in Busselton this week the split is around 76% men and 24% women.Nobody is stopping women from entering these races.They just don't want to.(I suspect the 70.3's,in real numbers, are more appealing to women)

I have always found it odd that people look to Ironman as the ones responsible for bringing more women into the sport when in fact that is the role of World Triathlon and its governing bodies all around the globe.They are the ones who set up all the junior and development programs,their reach is far broader and far more meaningful than anything Ironman does,or needs to.Ironman wants to fill it's events and it doesn't matter which gender is racing as long as transition is full.

Ironman is an event management company hosting triathlons,marathons,trail runs,etc,etc,etc but it seems many in the USA think they are responsible somehow for the development of the sport as a whole.They aren't.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 1, 22 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I planned to qualify and race Kona 2023. We booked my wife into Kalmar, just 3 days ago, with the goal of also qualifying and racing/supporting together. Neither have done Kona before and we wanted to experience it. So we are disappointed.

Have read loads, and understand people's differing views about location etc. I might not agree with all of IM's reasoning, but I can understand it. What I do not understand is why on earth I would pay 2-3 times the cost for a race venue I could race whenever I wanted to. If Nice is the answer, and I qualify, I very much doubt I will be taking up my slot.

I am not going to win my age group at the WC. If I come 15th or 35th, claiming you are the 15th or 35th best person in your age group, in the world is nonsense given how many people will not make it to an event etc. So the idea of racing against the best, for me, does not have much allure. Its is about the experience for me. It is about obtaining and experiencing something that the majority of people will never get the chance to do.

The way I can see IM rescuing this is to create a new location - a super attractive and exclusive one - that you can only race by qualification (or legacy etc). Then I don't mind paying more for it. Then I am happy to put in the hours, sweat and tears to try beat others so that it is me that gets to experience it. And IM get to build a whole new story and legacy for a second super sweet location, and athletes get another bucket list race to target and experience.
Last edited by: duncan-m-w: Dec 1, 22 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Penticton Canada has just as much history as Nice - and would be another good alternative
What do you think?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
I am glad to know that you think you know me so well.

2019 I was told I was going to Kona in 2023. That is 4 years of waiting after racing IM for who knows how long. Man, life has to go on. I have given to much to this organization (actually worked for them for almost 5 years). They are scrambling for survival. The company is so f-ing toxic this announcement does not surprise me the least bit.

All the comment are accurate; IM f-ed themselves with the Island; got too greedy. And now they f-ed it for all of us athletes that have invested decades of our life to get to the one race that matter the most to us. Yes, I kept at it to get to KONA.

So no, I will not wait another year. My life, my families lives, we need to move on from this sport. I have been sucking from the IM tit for far too long and I am done.

And I will gladly jump on any class-action lawsuit or any case against IM; sign me up.

So guessing your career is over as far as doing the World Championships is concerned. ha

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Timjr21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a great venue. I’d really be in favor of rotating across races with one race a year being in Kona. Or better got back to a smaller field, have men and women race together with one race in Kona one year and somewhere else the following year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The birth of the sport thing was not in Hawaii. It was in fiesta island in 1974 in SD.
And that’s just for triathlon named as such. There were triathlons in France in the early 1920s called “course des trois sports”.
So Kona is not where triathlon was born. Including Ironman since it was first held on Oahu.

I thought you said you were not that 'old' :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Francois wrote:
The birth of the sport thing was not in Hawaii. It was in fiesta island in 1974 in SD.
And that’s just for triathlon named as such. There were triathlons in France in the early 1920s called “course des trois sports”.
So Kona is not where triathlon was born. Including Ironman since it was first held on Oahu.

I thought you said you were not that 'old' :-)

I wasn’t racing in Joinville in 1922 ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timjr21 wrote:
I really hope this is not true
ALOT of People do this sport for KONA not to do IRONMAN world champs in NICE
Reduce the field size of KONA and keep its aura/ magic.
I don't get why they have to change history
The Tour de France in Australia would be very very different , Just like changing Challenge Roth to St George - its not the same. Im hoping this is a big time rumour. Does anyone know if this could be slightly untrue?

As a business, Ironman is about making money.

They could do what you suggest but then they would need to make the entry fee about $6000 per person.

So the question then is, would you rather pay $6000 to race Kona or just have the optio to race there every second year for $1400?

I think one of the bigger issues is that for Americans, the race won't be a local flight and you'll need to get a passport. Which for some of those people in the USA, would be a first.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zag: You know why the amplifiers go to 11?
Mark Allen: Because it's one more than 10.

* Mark Allen raced the Nice course 10x and won every time. Wake me up when Gustav hits 9.

<Couldn't help myself. Please don't take me seriously.>
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [duncan-m-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about another Hawaiian island, Oahu or Maui, men and women a week apart , and rotate odd/even years.

Travel might be a nightmare, but I’d imagine a good percentage of racers would not attend both outside of the partner crowd so maybe it wouldn’t be that bad. It would make it easier
on vendors/sponsors.

I’ve taken a number of flights between islands and they have been for the most part empty
Last edited by: PB252: Dec 1, 22 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [jaimev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaimev wrote:
Dan, just to clarify something you wrote and maybe out of context. I´m from Spain, born in 1969. I can can asure you that women had SAME opportunities in their formative years (school, university...) to participate in sports than men had.

i will defer to you on this entirely. all i know is that when i look at the registration data - the last time i looked, a few years ago - the percentage of women v men from southern european countries was strikingly lower than in countries in northern europe. i attribute that to either a lack of opportunity during formative years, or lack of cultural acclimation to the idea of women participating in mass endurance sport. but those are just guesses on my part. anything you can tell me to help educate me on this i'm eager to read.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timjr21 wrote:
I think Penticton Canada has just as much history as Nice - and would be another good alternative
What do you think?

Penticton is nice for a family vacation, but Nice is a bajillion times better.

And seriously, if they want to do history, then let's bring back 3/120/32.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Keep the field size small and make it super prestigious one year and then make it at another location another year could work. The rotation would excite people every 2nd year to not know where it is the next . But then if people want to try hard to kona they can wait every 2nd year .
Quote Reply

Prev Next