Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
I did the last edition of Japan IM - hardly any 'show' but it was a great event.

Still easily one of my top races, if not my favorite. But how about that middle school transition and hike up a trail due to bridge collapsing shortly before the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all the people referencing the TdF

https://www.google.com/...024-edition-in-nice/

It all fits well with the ambitions of Nice

https://monacolife.net/...rist-spot-in-france/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
aka_finto wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

This aspect of the split world's is going to be a very interesting to follow.

In fairness I think given the comparative costs of getting a brand presence to Kona vs. Nice (or wherever else the event may end up), you’ll need to give it a couple of years before making a judgement.

If sponsors follow the men regardless of location, it’s not a good look. Whereas if they choose to focus on the more accessible location then it can’t be seen as gender-driven

if this ends up being in Nice, and it's a multi-year deal, the big year will be the 2nd year. i don't think very many people have really thought through the optics of a women's only WC, pro and AG, in europe. upwards of 3000 women. it's not that this many women haven't raced in the same place at the same time. it's that this many women have never raced as the only gender, in a WC, same money as the male athletes, same number of qualifying athletes, and in europe. esp southern europe, where the percentage of women participating in the IM are way lower than in, say, the UK or countries on other continents. if this story is really told, properly, this is going to be a title IX moment for europe and it could well be that the sponsors and industry see this as a much bigger deal than they will for the men's version. this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

Most, if not all, team sports do this, so it is nothing revolutionary. Soccer WC in England was very successful, final in fully sold-out Wembley, similarly ice-hockey WC in Finland played in sold out arenas and media attention triathlon will never achieve.
Quote Reply
Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you get 2500 women to race WC in Nice 2024?
I am pretty sure man will be ok and if not IM will simply announce the Nice WC will have 500 slot for Hawaii the following year, but for Women it seems very optimistic.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Why are we still talking about Kona vs no Kona?

In either camp, we get what we want every other year! Everyone should be celebrating

I think so..

but I would be expectating with three topics
- if Ironman would be able to manage the "variable" demand of more people willing to go to WC when the final is Hawaii, than the odd year (where the demand would be higher for "local athletes").
- I really think that womens WC in Kona would be even more interesting than any men WC everywhere.. but... in 2024, how would be the demand of women WC everywhere in 2024? I really think that Ironman SHALL change many things in the Media coverage (similar than PTO) to be able to mantain the interest in the WC (it is not one but two events in separate dates/separate locations).
- I really expect a HIGH number of roll downs this year, and a high number of deferral to WC2024 in men. And depending in the date even more.... September in Europe would be to early (many people racing in July).

My opinion is that Ironman is doing all their work for increasing the profit in the short term increasing their product cost but also they are decreasing the PRODUCT value and the demand..

I would remember: 2023 WC Slot costs 1600 EUR (It is 1 month salary for many). For many.. we can afford once in life 5000-10000EUR travel... to live a dream. Not so many people to do same effort to race a WC everywhere. If Triathlon would be a sport with strong sponsors.. but it is not.

AH!!! I would remember... they are willing to increase cost, reduce the value and increase the number of athletes... they may thing that demand is infinite, but it is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bless you Felix...Hahahahahaha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way I see this, it's very simple. Ironman sold 5000 tickets specifically saying "welcome to Kona" for an event with just 2500 seats, on the flimsy hope they would somehow secure 2500 additional seats. For me, this is worthy of Fyre Festival or Woodstock 99 event management skills. It's that simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

Haha gold. Can't wait to race there next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's gold!! We need a like button.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's the future for Ironman France on the same course in June, beyond next year?

If there's a significant price disparity between IM France in June and the WC in November, aside from the pros and those in the hunt for an AG podium, how attractive will the lure of a Nice WC be for many triathletes?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
aka_finto wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

This aspect of the split world's is going to be a very interesting to follow.

In fairness I think given the comparative costs of getting a brand presence to Kona vs. Nice (or wherever else the event may end up), you’ll need to give it a couple of years before making a judgement.

If sponsors follow the men regardless of location, it’s not a good look. Whereas if they choose to focus on the more accessible location then it can’t be seen as gender-driven

if this ends up being in Nice, and it's a multi-year deal, the big year will be the 2nd year. i don't think very many people have really thought through the optics of a women's only WC, pro and AG, in europe. upwards of 3000 women. it's not that this many women haven't raced in the same place at the same time. it's that this many women have never raced as the only gender, in a WC, same money as the male athletes, same number of qualifying athletes, and in europe. esp southern europe, where the percentage of women participating in the IM are way lower than in, say, the UK or countries on other continents. if this story is really told, properly, this is going to be a title IX moment for europe and it could well be that the sponsors and industry see this as a much bigger deal than they will for the men's version. this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

I had not thought of that. Excellent point.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard they are moving the Tour De France to Florida next year so more regular people can enter!

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
LzBones wrote:
I did the last edition of Japan IM - hardly any 'show' but it was a great event.

Still easily one of my top races, if not my favorite. But how about that middle school transition and hike up a trail due to bridge collapsing shortly before the race!

I raced the original incarnation of IM Japan, as well as several ultras there in subsequent years. There's an idiosyncratic graciousness and enthusiasm with which they host visiting athletes. It's a shame IM Japan has dropped off the calendar. As a race (and holiday) destination, Japan really delivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I heard they are moving the Tour De France to Florida next year so more regular people can enter!

I'm not sure why you write in pink with a comment seemingly unrelated to what I wrote.

But since you're replying to me directly, I'd like to make you aware of the fact that any reference to Tour de France does the opposite of what you think it does. If anything it sustains the idea of an Ironman World Championship that rotates and isn't held in Kona.
- the Tour de France is a pro only race
- in the Tour de France the Women and Men race are held separately, on different dates, with a different route
- the Tour de France regularly goes through other countries. In 2023 it will start in Bilbao, Spain
- the Tour de France is not the Cycling World Championships
- the UCI Road Cycling World Championships are held in a different place every year. 2022 was in Australia, 2023 will be in Scotland
- the closest thing to an amateur experience of Tour de France is called "Etape du Tour" and has events everywhere in the world. None of them is a World Championship.
- the world championship amateur event for road cycling is the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships and is held separately from the UCI Road Cycling World Championships
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Dec 1, 22 3:52
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To this point, would a totally new venue be more attractive for '23 WC? Oahu? I know it's always hit or miss with logistics for a new race venue, but that might excite some athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people in my community (UK based so obviously this is biased as Nice is much easier to get to) see this as a very positive move. Many of my training friends had no interest in racing Kona next year but are already really excited at the prospect of qualifying and racing at Nice, within this group are 4 athletes that have won overall Age group at IM events and will be aiming for a bowl at (hopefully) Nice. I appreciate this is a small set of opinions but I am sure that there is similar excitement all throughout the European triathlon communities. I think if it is confirmed as Nice then it is going to be more difficult to qualify (in Europe) and the racing at the front of the Age group field will be more competitive than Kona.

Again this is a very biased European view and there is no doubt that the handling of already allocated mens 2023 slots is a bit of a headache but the sentiment I've seen from this side of the Atlantic is quite positive
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [low rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
low rpm wrote:
What really matters to make it a real world championship:
Slowtwitch party at Nice WC?
Let's be honest, what makes Kona special is the vendors, the parties and the freebies :) I absolutely agree with Frodeno when he said "Kona is the olympic village of age groupers". St George was a fail on that level big time.

Unrelated news: the mayor of Nice has a press conference tomorrow Thursday December 1st, 2022 to announce a "new international sporting event in Nice"...Invite emails sent today to the local french riviera triathlon players....
Guys, get the legs ready for a long climb next September!

This last kona had non of the expo hype, give aways, atmosphere of years before it. It was a huge let down in that regard. The sponsors used to do so much and they did nothing this round. Expo at a regular ironman was better.

Sadly kona was a joke compared to the past. And now Ironman is a joke, its a sad day. Kona is what made we start tri , watching the coverage in 90s . 1st time i went it was amazing experience, 2022, not even close. Messick has destroyed this event.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The birth of the sport thing was not in Hawaii. It was in fiesta island in 1974 in SD.
And that’s just for triathlon named as such. There were triathlons in France in the early 1920s called “course des trois sports”.
So Kona is not where triathlon was born. Including Ironman since it was first held on Oahu.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Potter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For once a comment I agree about Nice. Yes the bike is fantastic but 4 out and backs along the promenade sure isn’t very exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:

Lol that is awesome. One more reason to love Roth.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [davegibb26.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davegibb26.2 wrote:
While people may not like the situation, I feel that Ironman deserves Kudos for coming up with a very mindful solution to a nightmare-ish scenario.

If sounds like current qualifiers are taken care of, refunds for people that don't want to wait, and a firm date for new location in about 5 weeks.

I think that the race registrations the next 2 years will be the proof of concept for this idea. If there is a significant drop off in either registrants or "Speed" of female qualifiers for the 2024 "Non Kona" woman's race, then the vote is in. If all remains the same, then the proof is that people, when faced with change, adapt and create their new legacy! Every purchase decision (race entry) is emotional and then justified by logic.

For the record I will never "ABCDFG"-Q so my opinion is devoid of any baggage surrounding location lol.

Didn't Ironman create this nightmarish scenario by registering people for an event that had not been approved and that the mayor had said publicly might not be approved?

Mayor: 2-day running of Ironman not set in stone (October 10, 2022)

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The birth of the sport thing was not in Hawaii. It was in fiesta island in 1974 in SD.
And that’s just for triathlon named as such. There were triathlons in France in the early 1920s called “course des trois sports”.
So Kona is not where triathlon was born. Including Ironman since it was first held on Oahu.

it doesn't matter where Triathlon started for first time, it doesn't matter if first ironman races
the Ironman dream bornt in Hawaii, and for most it is not relevant if it was in Oahu or Kailua Kona.

Most of triathletes grew up in this sports with a dream, a dream that has been feed by a company. It was a packet of things, but World Championships is only a name, a name that gives them a reason for doing Qualifying events (instead of a lotery or a "1minute registration sold out").

Ironman is willing to change the Ironman Paradigma, in my opinion too quick: because they have increased number of places, the price and changed the location... it can be a big success but there are also a high risk of fail.

To be honest: Ironman Hawaii 2019 and earlier was a sold out event with a really few number of athletes rejecting their oportunities to take an slot. 2022 event had the highest number of slots rejected because the price of the registration, the overal cost and the format... as said, I would like to see if they will reduce the number of rejections with this move or if they will increase the number of people rejecting an slot... and further more.. if they sold out an Event of 2500 men paying 1600 EUR to race outside Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But a 4 loop run course brings one by their family/friends multiple times. I think that alone makes up for some of the repetitiveness, and the long death march back from the energy lab is very, very lonely.... I love hard, hard bike courses and run courses that are smaller and more involved with the city/community (like many marathons) so the race energy is high. Nice is a perfect balance of that.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
Most people in my community (UK based so obviously this is biased as Nice is much easier to get to) see this as a very positive move. Many of my training friends had no interest in racing Kona next year but are already really excited at the prospect of qualifying and racing at Nice, within this group are 4 athletes that have won overall Age group at IM events and will be aiming for a bowl at (hopefully) Nice. I appreciate this is a small set of opinions but I am sure that there is similar excitement all throughout the European triathlon communities. I think if it is confirmed as Nice then it is going to be more difficult to qualify (in Europe) and the racing at the front of the Age group field will be more competitive than Kona.

Again this is a very biased European view and there is no doubt that the handling of already allocated mens 2023 slots is a bit of a headache but the sentiment I've seen from this side of the Atlantic is quite positive

the reality is that Nice will be more competitive than kona ,

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/age-group/ironman-kona-2022-results-age-group-podium

if we look at top 5 places in the age groups from 25 to 64 ,from kona 2022 ie 96 people
its will be easier for about 55 people to go to Nice than kona
and then it also depends where the top americans , Canadians and Brazilians live but i guess likely for 15 or so it will be as easy or easier to go to nice than kona.

By and large or roughly at a ratio for 3 out of 4 , it will be easier for the best age groupers to go to the world champs every 2nd year. if they are in Europe

for the 65 plus ,the level could go down a bit as this is still dominated by usa and canada but even there maybe a lot come from florida and montreal and toronto, so its hard to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona is Kona, and has not any alternative

a WC outside Kona has many alternatives: PTO events.
Quote Reply

Prev Next