Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Timjr21 wrote:
I think Penticton Canada has just as much history as Nice - and would be another good alternative
What do you think?

Penticton is nice for a family vacation, but Nice is a bajillion times better.

And seriously, if they want to do history, then let's bring back 3/120/32.

Pretty sure it was 4km. The bike course has varied from 112 to 130. Sometimes because of storms and roads that were impractical. The run has been 30-32 and went all the way to the airport. Of course that was until IMFrance moved from Gerardmer to Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Timjr21 wrote:
I think Penticton Canada has just as much history as Nice - and would be another good alternative
What do you think?

Penticton is nice for a family vacation, but Nice is a bajillion times better.

And seriously, if they want to do history, then let's bring back 3/120/32.

Pretty sure it was 4km. The bike course has varied from 112 to 130. Sometimes because of storms and roads that were impractical. The run has been 30-32 and went all the way to the airport. Of course that was until IMFrance moved from Gerardmer to Nice.

The swim has been several distances IIRC. It started at 1500m, then 3k, then 4k. The bike and run changed several times too.

I've done the 4/120/30 distance 3 times now and it's my favourite. Full iron distance sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Nice distance is great indeed. More balanced across all 3 sports too.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
The Nice distance is great indeed. More balanced across all 3 sports too.

Looks like there's enough support for a race in Nice and Kona. Oh wait, that's what we had...

I get multitudes of emails from IM promoting races - too bad they couldn't extend this to a survey monkey re Kona and post results transparently.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
this is why i think it will be fantastic to see 3000 women taking over the streets of nice (if that is where the race is held).

I agree it would be great to see, but do you think they would get 3000 women, especially if they plan to keep the cost at 1600,- or what ever it is then?

Kona 2022 had 1300 or so and add the questions about location, Kona allure etc...might be a tough one

3000 women triathletes in Nice…. The French men like this status
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you paid that much you did not shop had a 2 bedroom condo 1 mile from dig me beach for 240 a night on Ali drive at this years race. Now rental cars is another story
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
markko wrote:
this is why i think it will be fantastic to see 3000 women taking over the streets of nice (if that is where the race is held).

I agree it would be great to see, but do you think they would get 3000 women, especially if they plan to keep the cost at 1600,- or what ever it is then?

Kona 2022 had 1300 or so and add the questions about location, Kona allure etc...might be a tough one

3000 women triathletes in Nice…. The French men like this status

I'm thinking Nice may have a better chance of attracting 3000 women in 2024, than Kona would have in 2025.

The main limiting factor for Kona's 1300 women this year was the availability of qualifying spots for women. There won't be the same limit on field size when the women race Nice, so that's not too much of an indicator.

Putting aside the lure of the tradition of Kona, Nice will be a far more accessible and affordable destination for a greater number of triathletes.

Europe supports 20 Ironman races, compared to North America supporting 14, plus Kona, which we can discount as it's essentially a neutral venue when it comes to being a WC qualifier for the following year.

I don't know how the field sizes for women racing in Europe compares to the North America, but it's reasonable to assume the Nice decision may increase the number of European women entering IM branded races and chasing WC spots. Also Nice is also relatively accessible for US east coast triathletes compared to Kona so that may factor in.

The biggest determinant will likely prove to be IM's slot allocation to European races. The extra women's slots currently allocated for Kona 2023 are disproportionately skewed to US/Canada.

That will have to be tidied up before for 2024 for Nice to reach its full potential as a WC but given IM's US bias with slot allocation has been pretty consistent since the days when athletes just mailed their entry forms to Valerie, I wouldn't hold your breath for that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Chubbly Geezer wrote:
Given what ~30% of any Ironman field is female, will that mean the qualification time need for a WC spot will be...er, just finish.

Bit tongue in cheek I know, but with 2,500 women on the start how low will that time need to go.

Anyone know what the qualifying standard was this year for the women's race?

i don't know but when i began racing IM the women were 8% of the field. so, whatever it is we've been doing to get that to increase 4-fold, we probably ought to keep doing it.

Out of curiosity, do you also feel the same about professional fields like wielding, plumbing and commercial fishing?

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
In theory yes it should be. You can only put what ~2500 total on race day there, but I don't believe the Women numbers are near that.

I’m not sure how it will go worldwide, but what I just saw at IMAZ slot allocation was these extra women in tri slots being taken in order of finish. There may have actually been more regular slot rolldowns than women in tri rolldowns. We should also keep in mind that this particular race was sold out long before these extra hundred slots were offered.

One issue cropping up is that some of the races advertised with the extra women in tri slots had these reduced with yesterdays announcement. That approach seems pretty spotty since these races could very well have attracted more women due to the depth of the extra slots allocated. Also doesn’t seem to make sense as, like you mention, they have a lot of Kona slots to fill.

When they had extra women for tri spots for the Nice 70.3 WC at IM 70.3 Geelong in Australia in 2019, they could not give those spots away, in the end they asked if anyone who was there wanted to go, even then a few spots were left on the table.

Also for Ironman Western Australia this weekend male participants have been notified that there will not be a roll down, there will be a virtual rolldown in Jan after the venue has been announced, anyone who gets a spot there will have the opportunity to defer it to Kona 2024. Im sure the split of how many people choose Nice instead of Kona will not be made public.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer hotels.

Your example does reinforce my point about the difference in cost, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [duncan-m-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan-m-w wrote:
I planned to qualify and race Kona 2023. We booked my wife into Kalmar, just 3 days ago, with the goal of also qualifying and racing/supporting together. Neither have done Kona before and we wanted to experience it. So we are disappointed.

Have read loads, and understand people's differing views about location etc. I might not agree with all of IM's reasoning, but I can understand it. What I do not understand is why on earth I would pay 2-3 times the cost for a race venue I could race whenever I wanted to. If Nice is the answer, and I qualify, I very much doubt I will be taking up my slot.

I am not going to win my age group at the WC. If I come 15th or 35th, claiming you are the 15th or 35th best person in your age group, in the world is nonsense given how many people will not make it to an event etc. So the idea of racing against the best, for me, does not have much allure. Its is about the experience for me. It is about obtaining and experiencing something that the majority of people will never get the chance to do.

The way I can see IM rescuing this is to create a new location - a super attractive and exclusive one - that you can only race by qualification (or legacy etc). Then I don't mind paying more for it. Then I am happy to put in the hours, sweat and tears to try beat others so that it is me that gets to experience it. And IM get to build a whole new story and legacy for a second super sweet location, and athletes get another bucket list race to target and experience.

I hope the long term plan is to find another fantastic location and have the 2 races in the same location. One on the Saturday and one on the Sunday. Revert to a pure WC with no celebs or legacy athletes. Pure best of the best. They have a few years to push everyone through legacy and then remove it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Potter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potter wrote:
Also for Ironman Western Australia this weekend male participants have been notified that there will not be a roll down, there will be a virtual rolldown in Jan after the venue has been announced, anyone who gets a spot there will have the opportunity to defer it to Kona 2024. Im sure the split of how many people choose Nice instead of Kona will not be made public.

Huh, I assumed that all future races would qualify for the new location. If they let people defer to Kona 2024 all year this is going to be kinda silly.

The FAQ suggests no deferal:

I am a male athlete who is currently registered for an IRONMAN event. My goal was to qualify for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship taking place in Kailua-Kona. I no longer want to race in my IRONMAN event since the IRONMAN World Championship male event won’t be in Kona. What are my options?
Please visit each individual event website for details on refunds, transfers, and deferrals for your individual event. Withdrawal deadlines and options will be based on the date in which you registered for your event.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Potter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potter wrote:
When they had extra women for tri spots for the Nice 70.3 WC at IM 70.3 Geelong in Australia in 2019, they could not give those spots away, in the end they asked if anyone who was there wanted to go, even then a few spots were left on the table.

I also saw that result for 2015 70.3 Worlds in Zell am See and 2018 70.3 Worlds in Port Elizabeth. But I’m talking 2023 Kona here. No problem selling the spots in short order. None to give away.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that probably because they only made the announcement 4 days before the race they have to honour the fact that they did not get the opportunity to defer the race, I expect it will be the same for Ironman New Zealand which was deferred to December 10th.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
stevej wrote:
Have you done Kona before? If you take the show away from Kona (the pro’s, industry folks, breakfast with bob, coffee swim up boat, underwear run, ST party, TGINRP, etc), the race is really no different than any other Ironman.

The appeal of Kona to most is the show. If you take away the show, the demand won’t be the same.

I'm indifferent to the show. The only thing I want in a WC is a chance to compete against the best and to watch the world's top pros. As long as IM continues to attract the best AGers and Pros, I will keep trying to qualify. And in any case, if the world's best athletes are there, the show will follow.

One can make a reasonable argument that expanding the field to 5k and moving from Kona, to which some athletes are deeply attached, will lower interest in the WC and dilute the competitiveness of the field. My sense is that these concerns are overblown. I'm guessing there is a large population of athletes that have been excluded from Kona by a combination of price and distance. They will make up for the loss of the Kona diehards. Showcasing the female pros will also help grow the sport among women (and men).

I expect the women's AG field to get more competitive over time and the men's to have a modest drop off at best. I think this is a good move by IM, even if it has been rolled out in a typically clumsy manner.

Fully agree to you. People just hate change and love to complain about it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
Potter wrote:

Huh, I assumed that all future races would qualify for the new location. If they let people defer to Kona 2024 all year this is going to be kinda silly.

The FAQ suggests no deferal:

I am a male athlete who is currently registered for an IRONMAN event. My goal was to qualify for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship taking place in Kailua-Kona. I no longer want to race in my IRONMAN event since the IRONMAN World Championship male event won’t be in Kona. What are my options?
Please visit each individual event website for details on refunds, transfers, and deferrals for your individual event. Withdrawal deadlines and options will be based on the date in which you registered for your event.

I get this move by IM trying to save face with their customers who wanted to go to Kona and do right by them, but man, I feel like they are just setting themselves for another catastrophe down the road in 2024 and beyond. Who knows what 2024 brings (another pandemic?). They really need to stop with any more deferrals, get the backlog down, and stop shooting themselves in the foot.

I think we just need to go back to 1 day of racing for the IMWC in Kona.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's gonna be like StG in may, all the AWA will be "invited" to race if evryone defers to Kona 2024.
Being Gold and not doing IM, I would be a "Nice" opportunity to race a WC.
To all KQ 2023 : Feel free to defer to Kona 2024!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:
Nice is technical compared to Kona. Otherwise, it's not particularly technical. I'm far from being a solid bike handler as will desert dude and a few here can attest to, but Nice, aside from one descent with 2 hairpins if I recall would not rate as technical for the vast vast majority of riders in Europe. This might be a consequence of the course selection in NA (not sure where you live) though. Most courses are not technical at all and on big highways.

i would actually argue that kona is more technical than nice because of the winds. kona participants have been lucky with the weather. i would feel a lot better about my safety on the nice course than on kona on a windy day. the only thing technical about nice is if you're unfamiliar with descending on pursuit bars. i have never liked pursuits with straight sections that just end. i always preferred pursuits with a 45° (or so) upturn at the end. this is what makes for problems. if i manufactured stuff still i'd make a little do-whacker that you could put at the end of your straight pursuits to brace against.

I've done Nice twice (once on the previous course and once on the most recent one), and Kona once.
While not very technical, Nice descents can be tricky for people who aren't used to descending. There are A LOT of speed bumps, some hair pin turns and when wet there are some water grates that are very slippery.
Now put 2500 strong and determined athletes where most are willing to descend faster than their skill level allows, and you get a lot of crashes. I'd wager more in a WC than a regular IM.

Sure, side winds can become very hard to manage at Kona but most days the course is incredibly easy, and hardly any braking is necessary. I honestly wouldn't call being able to hold your bike "technical" except for the few days that have terrible conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

all i know is that when i look at the registration data - the last time i looked, a few years ago - the percentage of women v men from southern european countries was strikingly lower than in countries in northern europe. i attribute that to either a lack of opportunity during formative years, or lack of cultural acclimation to the idea of women participating in mass endurance sport. but those are just guesses on my part. anything you can tell me to help educate me on this i'm eager to read.

Respectfully, as an Italian myself I find there is some bias in your statement because you don't really have any evidence for what you're saying and seem to be asking for somebody else to bring the evidence to confute your thesis.

Also in a separate post, you said that even triathlon races in the USA had a low percentage of women at the beginning.

Every mass trend from the USA or the UK arrives in southern Europe with a certain delay. If you've seen a trend in the USA why do you expect a faster development elsewhere?

Take Italy, the country has had an Ironman on Italian soil only for a handful of years. Yet, you're comparing Italy with 5 years of Ironman history to races with 20-40 years of history.

You also have to consider that many don't speak English outside of English speaking countries. Northern European countries are different because they are much more anglophone.
Triathlon books aren't translated in every language. Triathlon doesn't get any time on national television. That epic NBC show? Not a thing in Italy.
This means that hardly anybody has seen Wendy Ingraham and Sian Welch’s crawl to the IM finish or Chrissie Wellington and Lucy Charles develop from age groupers to champions. And all the other inspiring stories that have been told in the English language.

Now, I'm not trying to say that southern Europe is a place were women are treated better than anywhere else or where they have more work opportunities than elsewhere - they don't. And maybe that's the issue since triathlon seems to be participated by 35-60 y.o. people with above average earnings.
What I'm trying to say is that your statement related to sport is way too strong and a little unfair.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Dec 2, 22 5:27
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, Kona'22 was a huge letdown. I've raced "regular" IM that offered more.
This was my first and most likely last time in Kona, glad someone confirms that '22 was not what it used to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:
Slowman wrote:

all i know is that when i look at the registration data - the last time i looked, a few years ago - the percentage of women v men from southern european countries was strikingly lower than in countries in northern europe. i attribute that to either a lack of opportunity during formative years, or lack of cultural acclimation to the idea of women participating in mass endurance sport. but those are just guesses on my part. anything you can tell me to help educate me on this i'm eager to read.

Respectfully, as an Italian myself I find there is some bias in your statement because you don't really have any evidence for what you're saying and seem to be asking for somebody else to bring the evidence to confute your thesis.

Also in a separate post, you said that even triathlon races in the USA had a low percentage of women at the beginning.

Every mass trend from the USA or the UK arrives in southern Europe with a certain delay. If you've seen a trend in the USA why do you expect a faster development elsewhere?

Take Italy, the country has had an Ironman on Italian soil only for a handful of years. Yet, you're comparing Italy with 5 years of Ironman history to races with 20-40 years of history.

You also have to consider that many don't speak English outside of English speaking countries. Northern European countries are different because they are much more anglophone.
Triathlon books aren't translated in every language. Triathlon doesn't get any time on national television. That epic NBC show? Not a thing in Italy.
This means that hardly anybody has seen Wendy Ingraham and Sian Welch’s crawl to the IM finish or Chrissie Wellington and Lucy Charles develop from age groupers to champions. And all the other inspiring stories that have been told in the English language.

Now, I'm not trying to say that southern Europe is a place were women are treated better than anywhere else or where they have more work opportunities than elsewhere - they don't. And maybe that's the issue since triathlon seems to be participated by 35-60 y.o. people with above average earnings. What I'm trying to say is that your statement related to sport is way too strong and a little unfair.

i realized that when i wrote the post i wrote that i might be expressing a bias that is undeserved. i don't know and i fully appreciate that the views of folks like you, who live in italy (or spain, or the south of france) are more informed than my own. and you're right, in the beginning it was like that in the U.S., and so the marathon before it. but that's because of the bias in the U.S. against women's participation in endurance sport. federal laws in the U.S. mandated that schools provide funding for men and women equally, but that was in 1971 and it took about 40 years for girls to compete in cross country running at the same rate as boys.

the only data on which i rely are participation rates. there's a pretty comprehensive set of stats on RunRepeat on the state of running immediately pre-pandemic. the whole study is fascinating but i note this one graph:

it might be that women in switzerland and italy are cycling or swimming or rowing or walking or maybe they're running and they just don't, as a cohort, prefer to enter competitions. i don't know and you would know better than i.

i want to tread lightly here because i don't want to offend. in the times i've been in italy - a country i love and one in which i could easily live - it seems to me italians treasure and honor the position and status of women. it's just that in this one area - endurance sport participation by gender - italy looks a lot like the U.S. looked in women's participation a generation or two ago. maybe i'm misinformed or naive or i just have a blind spot that hides me from my own bias. i apologize in advance if that's the case and i ask that you bear with me and educate me.

my intention wasn't to denigrate those in certain countries, or speak ill of them. just to say that if the IM WC indeed takes place in nice then when it's the women's turn my hope is that the example it sets will be noticed in locations where participation rates in IM and perhaps in marathons and footrunning are low, and would provide an inspiration to women who might have an ambition to take part.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
jaimev wrote:
Dan, just to clarify something you wrote and maybe out of context. I´m from Spain, born in 1969. I can can asure you that women had SAME opportunities in their formative years (school, university...) to participate in sports than men had.

i will defer to you on this entirely. all i know is that when i look at the registration data - the last time i looked, a few years ago - the percentage of women v men from southern european countries was strikingly lower than in countries in northern europe. i attribute that to either a lack of opportunity during formative years, or lack of cultural acclimation to the idea of women participating in mass endurance sport. but those are just guesses on my part. anything you can tell me to help educate me on this i'm eager to read.

"I can can asure you that women had SAME opportunities in their formative years (school, university...) to participate in sports than men had."

Sorry, I don't believe this for a second.

Consider soccer. Spanish women qualified for the world cup for the first time in . . . 2015. They got out of the group stage for the first time in . . . 2019. Why do you think that is, especially given the much lower level of competition in women's soccer?

An article about how women's opportunities started to expand in Spain in the 90s.
https://english.elpais.com/elpais/2017/08/02/inenglish/1501684819_654174.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I agree that Italy and other countries should do more to promote women participation in sports and make sure they have equal opportunities.
And I can't wait to see that IM WC in Nice in 2024 (if that's where it's going to be) for the reasons you wrote in an earlier post.

I do wonder whether what IM is doing is actually going to help that much in Southern Europe since they seem to be giving the "extra" slots to races that already have high participation of women. A more distributed allocation of slots would have been preferable in my opinion. Hopefully that's just version 1.

I just think it's unfair to compare to USA, UK, etc
and to extrapolate from triathlon since those countries have a longer history in triathlon.

And I agree that extrapolating from one sport to the country as a whole brings its own bias.

Issues in specific sports are much bigger than in others. Take football (soccer) which in Italy is/was considered a male sport (but luckily at the moment it seems that's improving and there are now pro women teams).
At the last Olympic games Italy had more women medallist than men but the athlete split was 40/60. Better than IM triathlon participation but definitely not like the US that has had more women than men for a few editions.

It's quite likely though that mass participation in sports has slightly different dynamics than elite/professional sports.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Dec 2, 22 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
Totally agree, Kona'22 was a huge letdown. I've raced "regular" IM that offered more.
This was my first and most likely last time in Kona, glad someone confirms that '22 was not what it used to be.

In 2016 i races and 2011 watched both years you got a helmet 80% off, a power meter 65% off, test ride brand new specialized release bikes, give aways constantly, pros were really accessible, the mass start was amazing. Aid station were organised better, finish line vibe was way better. 2022 felt like a normal ironman and run way worse then a normal IM, had no good competitors promotions, the expo was just like a normal race. Just not what you strive years for in qualifying and blow $15-$25k on a trip for.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Potter wrote:

I also saw that result for 2015 70.3 Worlds in Zell am See and 2018 70.3 Worlds in Port Elizabeth. But I’m talking 2023 Kona here. No problem selling the spots in short order. None to give away.

Shouldn’t qualifying be challenging though? That is the hook, that it is hard, that slots are scarce. The mystique of getting a Kona Q should be maintained. I think it was starting too hard with so many races and limited slots but the bar now is a little too easy. With this IM is going to miss out in some loyal multi time racers, many keep coming back chasing the qualify, if they get it attempt 1 , then likely they will move out of IM racing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next