Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Prior to Covid, how many people were complaining about one day Kona? It wasn’t a big topic.

IM got greedy. Locals got pissed. Now we are back to a crappy version of a one day event.

Well done, IM executives!

It's not that they just got greedy. Let's just be honest here.

Ironman decided that the growth will come from the female segment of the racers, and as a bonus it makes them look good with the ESG crowd. So.... they added a bunch of extra slots for women and because that pier can only fit so many bikes, they had to make it a 2 day event. The locals tried it once and said fu and now the AG North American men are getting a shaft because Ironman can't start taking away those extra slots they produced out of the thin air.

I think that Ironman will not like it long term. I am certainly done chasing KQ if this becomes a thing.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is news to me; I never received an email saying Legacy was supposed to open today.
In all my communications with IM regarding when I could register they kept pushing it off; first they told me June, than September, than November, and than I called them a few weeks ago and they said they hoped to open it in early January. But in ALL of my communications via email they have told me I would be racing in Kona on 10/14/2023.

I have 100% zero interest in racing in Nice France. If IM moves this race out of Kona, the sport will take a huge blow. I have been preparing for this race since I received my Legacy email in December of 2019. Even if they offer me a deferral to 2024 there is no way I am 'hanging out' for another year. I have flights booked, two houses booked, rental cars reserved, and I just paid TriBike $600 that is not refundable.

Having some inside knowledge, a press release is coming out tomorrow. And the person can not deny nor confirm that the article is real. Therefore, this is a done deal folks.

So who is in on the lawsuit with me?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

You must be a big private equity fanboy

I just understand business and I've done Kona and it's a shit race in a shit location, but it has history.

If I owned Ironman, I'd make people have to do a 70.3 to qualify to do and Ironman and then qualifiy at an Ironman to get to Kona or NICE.

Gets more cash flowing. Sure a lot of people already do this, but it would be a better system for Ironman.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
This is news to me; I never received an email saying Legacy was supposed to open today.
In all my communications with IM regarding when I could register they kept pushing it off; first they told me June, than September, than November, and than I called them a few weeks ago and they said they hoped to open it in early January. But in ALL of my communications via email they have told me I would be racing in Kona on 10/14/2023.

I have 100% zero interest in racing in Nice France. If IM moves this race out of Kona, the sport will take a huge blow. I have been preparing for this race since I received my Legacy email in December of 2019. Even if they offer me a deferral to 2024 there is no way I am 'hanging out' for another year. I have flights booked, two houses booked, rental cars reserved, and I just paid TriBike $600 that is not refundable.

Having some inside knowledge, a press release is coming out tomorrow. And the person can not deny nor confirm that the article is real. Therefore, this is a done deal folks.

So who is in on the lawsuit with me?

Sure you won't wait. You've done 12 Ironman's, working towards your legacy. Stop being a sook. You'll wait and you know it.

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [littlepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad to know that you think you know me so well.

2019 I was told I was going to Kona in 2023. That is 4 years of waiting after racing IM for who knows how long. Man, life has to go on. I have given to much to this organization (actually worked for them for almost 5 years). They are scrambling for survival. The company is so f-ing toxic this announcement does not surprise me the least bit.

All the comment are accurate; IM f-ed themselves with the Island; got too greedy. And now they f-ed it for all of us athletes that have invested decades of our life to get to the one race that matter the most to us. Yes, I kept at it to get to KONA.

So no, I will not wait another year. My life, my families lives, we need to move on from this sport. I have been sucking from the IM tit for far too long and I am done.

And I will gladly jump on any class-action lawsuit or any case against IM; sign me up.
Last edited by: laughable: Nov 29, 22 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your numbers aren't close. IM is charging $1400USD for 2023 WC slots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to elaborate on the toxicity comment?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to glassdoor.com and check out the comments. The company is a toxic organization to work for. Starts at the Senior leadership, including Andrew's blind-eye, and it gets trickled down to the middle-level folks. Most employees churn and burn. Horrible pay, no room for advancement, constantly worried if you are going to get laid-off, etc. All of the 'long-term' employees that made IM great, employees with 5-10+ years of tenure, those that were around that built the brand were all chased out back in 2015-2018? when new 'leadership' was brought in.
Like I said, check out glassdoor, you can read it all yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
Your numbers aren't close. IM is charging $1400USD for 2023 WC slots.

I bet if Nice is true they will allow 3K-3.5k slots. Why stop at 2500 as that is a limitation of the space for bikes on the Kona pier. $$$$$$$$$
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [latkin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latkin wrote:
Kailua-Kona Total Landscaping, located in Nice, France

Savage. Post of the year.

Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:
Go to glassdoor.com and check out the comments. The company is a toxic organization to work for. Starts at the Senior leadership, including Andrew's blind-eye, and it gets trickled down to the middle-level folks. Most employees churn and burn. Horrible pay, no room for advancement, constantly worried if you are going to get laid-off, etc. All of the 'long-term' employees that made IM great, employees with 5-10+ years of tenure, those that were around that built the brand were all chased out back in 2015-2018? when new 'leadership' was brought in.

I can't see a comments section, do you mean reviews?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes; read the reviews. And the positive ones were planted by the IM HR department themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not accurate. IMMT is in August and a 2023 Kona qualifier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:

I did my Legacy race years ago but I still follow the Legacy Facebook group. I'm basing my 11/29 date on comments and screenshots from a bunch of people there waiting to register today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:

Are the reviews as toxic as this thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
If I was single and looking to date a triathlete, I know where I would be come October 2023.

Yeah, but noone wants to date a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think you can compare an Mdot tattoo to mcdonalds. Ironman has history, culture and soul. You might not like it but it does.
Its not our fault its been taken over by greedy corporate pigs.

And for the record I have no tattoos mdot or otherwise.

Also your entry price is way off, its $1400 now plus the active fee. People will pay that begrudgingly for Kona, but why would I pay that for Nice if im not one of the 15 people who will win a world championship when I can just pay the 650 euros and do the race in june where it will be less congested!

And why anyone would enter Ironman France to do the same race again 2 months later but for twice the cost is unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:

And I will gladly jump on any class-action lawsuit or any case against IM; sign me up.

Why do Americans feel they have to sue everyone?

Pathetic way to look at life.

Do what you’ve said and just move on and miss racing kona. You were going as a legacy. Just making up numbers. Pointless going tbh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, from a business perspective

The Ironman brand is owned by Private Equity, who´s ONLY purpose in this world is to maximize the (normally short term) outcome of their investment. If the Ironman brand is more successful in making more money/outcome, then the brand will sell at a higher price, next time they choose to sell the Ironman brand (back to the Chinese?). That is all.

What Ironman is (always) aiming for, is offering a product that can be sold to 1) more people and 2) at a higher price - as long as there is demand.

Neither the Ironman brand itself, or any Ironman employee, not even Messick, will per se, become rich from any operational moves like bringing WC to Nice.

Personally, I would prefer the 1-day event in Kona, as always. Bringing WC elsewhere and the magic is gone IMO. I am still signed up for 3 full distance Ironman branded races in 2023
Last edited by: Mulen: Nov 29, 22 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
I live in the South of France and heard the exact same rumour yesterday from people deeply involved in the local triathlon scene. Nice hosted the 70.3 WC in 2019, I raced there and it was a seamless organisation. They were more than 3000 people racing over 2 days.

As someone said, ringing the "mairie" (local town hall) will probably not get you anywhere as you will likely chat with someone at the front desk who has 0 idea. + it's not official yet, so no surprise there

Bummer for those who had booked for Kona if this is confirmed to be true

I spoke to major events department, I believe he was the manager but can’t confirm. Didn’t just get through to “front desk”.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
sol-rosenberg wrote:

Well, maybe not. I might just say f*ck Ironman.

No, you won't, just like most others won't. Fact is, WTC races are still the best, even if you don't like their business decisions.

They aren’t the best in Europe, perhaps in US but def not here. Challenge are much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW I received this email yesterday, Nov 28:

"Aloha and Congratulations!

You are now ready to finalize your registration for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i, USA that will take place on October 12 & 14, 2023. (the “Event”). Please use the link at the bottom of this email to access your registration form and complete your entry.

I understand that I am accepting a qualifying slot for the 2023 VinFast IRONMAN World Championship taking place in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i on October 12 & 14, 2023. Upon acceptance of the slot, I understand I will not be permitted to defer my slot to a future IRONMAN World Championship event and will be subject to the withdrawal policy of the event as follows:
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing via e-mail to kona@ironman.com. Without exception, all requests must be received on or before August 28, 2023 to be eligible for a partial refund of $175.00 USD. Deferrals are NOT permitted. "
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
sol-rosenberg wrote:

Well, maybe not. I might just say f*ck Ironman.

No, you won't, just like most others won't. Fact is, WTC races are still the best, even if you don't like their business decisions.

They aren’t the best in Europe, perhaps in US but def not here. Challenge are much better.

Yup. From the start of covid through end of next year, only one of my 6 races is IM branded. Signed up for it because it is in my town and I can go by subway on race morning. Otherwise Challenge races and local ones (Allgäu, Grail, Norseman, etc) are more appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Yes. For sure. And Avignon. Also. Not many years in the 80s when the Nice field wasn't as good as or better than Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [thestreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't thought it through completely, but could you have 1 day Kona event with 3.5-4k competitors (maybe transition area is different given the number of bikes)?

Start times are different and there is a stricter cut off (eg: 13.5 hours). If it's a WC, a majority should be ok to finish under that time? Or would the bike congestion be too much?
Quote Reply

Prev Next