Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
I've done both (in the same year although already had my Kona spot when doing Nice).

Nice was a fantastic event, and I really enjoyed in there. It wasn't Kona though. Kona is unique with the weather conditions and history. Personally, I don't care that is the World Championships, I care that I am competing at Kona. Personally, I was inspired to do the event after seeing a documentary with Dick Hoye, a wheelchair athlete and an army veteran. I didn't even realize it was a world championship event till much later on.

Both my partner, who competed with me on the same day at my last Kona event, and I are bitterly disappointed that we will no longer to have the opportunity to race on the same day, let alone the same continent. Friends and family won't be making two trips either.

Time for another sport.

Or you could see as you now get to go to two different places (budget permitted) and the partner can better support the other during race week. Could be challenging for the partner who races first as they'll be in full prep, but Nice is a great spot to finalise your race prep for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Hi Thom, where did they put the Legacy program on hold?

Registration was scheduled to open yesterday. This was posted on the web page.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
LzBones wrote:
I've done both (in the same year although already had my Kona spot when doing Nice).

Nice was a fantastic event, and I really enjoyed in there. It wasn't Kona though. Kona is unique with the weather conditions and history. Personally, I don't care that is the World Championships, I care that I am competing at Kona. Personally, I was inspired to do the event after seeing a documentary with Dick Hoye, a wheelchair athlete and an army veteran. I didn't even realize it was a world championship event till much later on.

Both my partner, who competed with me on the same day at my last Kona event, and I are bitterly disappointed that we will no longer to have the opportunity to race on the same day, let alone the same continent. Friends and family won't be making two trips either.

Time for another sport.

Or you could see as you now get to go to two different places (budget permitted) and the partner can better support the other during race week. Could be challenging for the partner who races first as they'll be in full prep, but Nice is a great spot to finalise your race prep for Kona.

No budget and no longer the time - plus it is far better seeing each other out on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
We can all agrees that no WC race will ever attract every single top AGer. That is a fact.

That being said I would think it’s hard to argue that if you are truly chasing the best competition at the IM distance then Kona is your race. For the better part of the last 15 years Kona has the most competitive fields.

Once you move it, it will be a regionally competitive. Look at the 70.3 WC, is a regional race for the most part. WC Nice will attract top Euros and a handful of non-euro athletes. It will be hard and competitive but will not have a Kona field.

We will have to wait until 2024 to really settle this when we see the 2024 men’s AG field loaded compared to Nice 2023

Maybe it’s all just rumors. Who knows.

Not so sure I agree with the bolded part. There are lots of fast europeans, aussies, etc that don’t go to Kona because of various reasons. I would argue that we will see one of the deepest fields in the male age group ranks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TakeYourTime wrote:
This may leave an opening for PTO to put on their own "WC IM Race" with BIG money as a draw card around the same time of year. Especially if pro athletes are disgruntled with this new format.

Kinda like professional wrestling and boxing, with competing world championship belts.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
stevej wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Time for another sport.

Would you still want to do kona if it wasn’t a world championship, didn’t have a pro race, and didn’t come with the show that it is?

Where do I sign up!!

Have you done Kona before? If you take the show away from Kona (the pro’s, industry folks, breakfast with bob, coffee swim up boat, underwear run, ST party, TGINRP, etc), the race is really no different than any other Ironman.

The appeal of Kona to most is the show. If you take away the show, the demand won’t be the same.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

Pressure for marathons like London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Tokyo, etc. to have separate women's only events because otherwise haven't there been strong women's pro fields and thousands of AG women competing in those events for many years?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 1, 22 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly it. Kona has always felt like it had kind of a homecoming feel to it.

Industry people, Pros, Amateurs, Men & Women. The appeal was to be where ALL of the players in long distance Triathlon are...for that one weekend every year.

Now it will be at half...at best. Men won't be able to cheer for Haug hunting down prey on the Queen K.

Women won't get to see Lionel blow up on the energy lab. 😂

I think it's a loss for fans of our sport on many levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What really matters to make it a real world championship:
Slowtwitch party at Nice WC?
Let's be honest, what makes Kona special is the vendors, the parties and the freebies :) I absolutely agree with Frodeno when he said "Kona is the olympic village of age groupers". St George was a fail on that level big time.

Unrelated news: the mayor of Nice has a press conference tomorrow Thursday December 1st, 2022 to announce a "new international sporting event in Nice"...Invite emails sent today to the local french riviera triathlon players....
Guys, get the legs ready for a long climb next September!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
aka_finto wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

This aspect of the split world's is going to be a very interesting to follow.

In fairness I think given the comparative costs of getting a brand presence to Kona vs. Nice (or wherever else the event may end up), you’ll need to give it a couple of years before making a judgement.

If sponsors follow the men regardless of location, it’s not a good look. Whereas if they choose to focus on the more accessible location then it can’t be seen as gender-driven

if this ends up being in Nice, and it's a multi-year deal, the big year will be the 2nd year. i don't think very many people have really thought through the optics of a women's only WC, pro and AG, in europe. upwards of 3000 women. it's not that this many women haven't raced in the same place at the same time. it's that this many women have never raced as the only gender, in a WC, same money as the male athletes, same number of qualifying athletes, and in europe. esp southern europe, where the percentage of women participating in the IM are way lower than in, say, the UK or countries on other continents. if this story is really told, properly, this is going to be a title IX moment for europe and it could well be that the sponsors and industry see this as a much bigger deal than they will for the men's version. this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

Triathlon really isn't first in this regard. Granted it is "one" race. But World Rugby's 7s series...compare it to the WTCS. Ran completely separate promotions for the Women's series. For the most part no one really attended the women's series. That isn't to say all stops on the Men's series were well attended...but the women's series was not well attended at all. So World Rugby moved towards granting host unions who bid for both as one event primacy in the award cycle, and now they've combined the series completely in 2024...but also less stops for the men. Makes you wonder if some long time promoters/host unions pulled out and no replacements came to the fray.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
stevej wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Time for another sport.

Would you still want to do kona if it wasn’t a world championship, didn’t have a pro race, and didn’t come with the show that it is?

Where do I sign up!!

Have you done Kona before? If you take the show away from Kona (the pro’s, industry folks, breakfast with bob, coffee swim up boat, underwear run, ST party, TGINRP, etc), the race is really no different than any other Ironman.

The appeal of Kona to most is the show. If you take away the show, the demand won’t be the same.

I've done both ( Kona And Nice) (in the same year although already had my Kona spot when doing Nice)

Yes, I would still go. I've done other IM with no show, and they were good too. I'd prefer to race with AG woman than PRO men on the day too.

I did the last edition of Japan IM - hardly any 'show' but it was a great event.

I'm yet to do a course with the water/current like Kona, wind like Kona and heat like Kona. Agreed it's not the 'nicest' course I've done, but it's a great challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
stevej wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Time for another sport.

Where do I sign up!!

I haven’t raced it but I’ve been there on vacation and loved it. I even rode some of the queen K and swam a bunch there. I’d love to racecation. I don’t care for all the other fluff that a WC brings (I did stg 70.3 WC) so I’d be fine with a normal ironman race type experience
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Tribike53 wrote:
stevej wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Time for another sport.

Where do I sign up!!

Of course it's the show, I agree. And part of that show is the history. It'll be sad to see that whittle away, but I think most of us saw that coming. Personally, I wouldn't make the expensive trip from the East Coast it didn't come with all the bells and whistles of being the WC.

That said... while we're talking about the show can I get my name on that Nice WC ST party earlybird list? My biggest Kona regret was relegating myself to the 2022 waiting list because my baby had to go ahead and be born early and cut into my "obsessively check ST for Kona news" time.

Not this year baby... (or next year if I defer toddler...)

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Slowman wrote:
this could also be huge for triathlon because it will be noticed that triathlon did this first, before any other sport. i wouldn't be surprised if this places pressure on other sports, notably athletics, esp in the marathon.

Pressure for marathons like London, Paris, Berlin, Tokyo, etc. to have separate women's only events because otherwise haven't there been strong women's pro fields and thousands of AG women competing in those events for many years?

At a world championship level, it won't put any pressure on athletics/marathons. The elite (both women and men) will compete biennially, with Budapest 2023 and Tokyo 2025 the next hosts.

Triathlon isn't the first to separate male and female competition for major events. It's been the norm for the most prestigious marathons in Japan for decades, with Fukuoka and Tokyo being men's races, and Osaka and Nagoya women's only events. The mass participation Tokyo Marathon is a relatively recent event.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't make the expensive trip from the East Coast it didn't come with all the bells and whistles of being the WC.

Thank you for saying this.

People keep saying that they don’t care about a WC and they just want kona. But if you take the WC out of Kona, Kona loses its buzz and appeal which I think some folks don’t quite grasp.

St George definitely didn’t have the normal Kona buzz this year and I’m sure Nice or any other venue will be similar. Some of the buzz might be lost, but is that really a tangible loss for the sport, the athletes, fans, industry, and supporters of the sport? Or just a mental one we have in our own heads?

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Nov 30, 22 20:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't make the expensive trip from the East Coast it didn't come with all the bells and whistles of being the WC.

Thank you for saying this.

People keep saying that they don’t care about a WC and they just want kona. But if you take the WC out of Kona, Kona loses its buzz and appeal which I think some folks don’t quite grasp.

St George definitely didn’t have the normal Kona buzz this year and I’m sure Nice or any other venue will be similar. Some of the buzz might be lost, but is that really a tangible loss for the sport, the athletes, fans, industry, and supporters of the sport? Or just a mental one we have in our own heads?

Same page somewhat. I actually did StG and Kona this year as well. I have to give StG credit, it was awesome. Course was great and they really tried to bring the show. But Kona was still just Kona. Despite all the controversy. It comes with decades of stories as a WC, starting from the birth of the sport.

Some (not you) trying to say Nice has as much history.. both laughable and literally impossible given the whole "birth of the sport" thing. Nice is great and legendary in it's own right, and maybe over time it will build up some of the story Kona has. I'm sure Mark Allen will be there telling some truly great stories, but I still think it's a loss.

Even if it's just mental, it's real. You can't move the Boston Marathon without losing something. Sure, in 50 years it'll just be the way it is and all the old timers will get made fun of, but it still feels true right now.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [low rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other part that makes Kona special is you have to qualify to experience the course and conditions. The other venues, ie. St George, Nice, you can sign up to race on the course and experience it without qualifying.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Press release out today confirming no men’s Kona but NOT confirming Nice…

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman is like an abusive partner.
Always treats you like shit, but sometimes it's fun and you're afraid to leave and find something new because deep down you know you are worthless an IRonMaN!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [trinerd2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what makes Kona really special is the run, coming back from the energy lab is a real test and the finish is amazing. While the bike course (without too much wind) isn't particularly difficult it is still pretty special.

Clearly the bike course at Nice is epic, but the run course is a boring AF cookie cutter 4 lapper running up and down the boardwalk. Not worthy of a World Championship in my opinion, unless they are gonna change it and run it through the old town or something but I imagine we would be back to the whinging of vendors on those routes.

My experience of Nice in 2019 was that it was a bit of a nightmare getting around due to all the security checkpoints, particularly for supporters with children.

I also cant wait to see how Ironman justifies charging twice the normal price for IM France, but then you do get 2 towels don't you...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this….puts Blu Kona win off to 2026 when he is in his 30s….

Also 8 Kona wins for women and 6 for men are probably untouchable now…..

Also, heartbreak for Jan….

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [trinerd2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The term 'qualify' is very broad for kona (results, legacy, roll down luck, sponsor mate etc)

It is interesting that most people talk about the location of the event. Not about the world championship part.

Clearly most people who want to do Kona don’t care that it is a world championship. They just saw it on tv and want to do it.

So Ironman should just make it a non-world champs event in kona - charge 2,500 people a huge amount of dollars to do it.

Then run the world championships for people who actually want to 'race' somewhere else. If you made it really really hard to qualify (like no roll downs or legacy) for the real world champs it would become super prestigious and brag worthy no matter where it was. People would be like - wow you qualified for ironman world champs - you must be crazy fast.

They could always make kona the world champs every 4 years or something.
But that wont work - why - because people will realise the pros and fast people make kona - not the middle pack rich people.

People don’t care about the pro's, until the pro's won't be there - which will diminish the kona experience.

Any other company could start a race in Hawaii - but they don’t. Coz people wouldn’t do it. I mean anyone could go there now and do the course. Experience the Hawaii ironman course. But they don’t.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
People don’t get it. It’s not Ironman.

KONA SAID NO!!

No actually Ironman said we need more $$$ always more$$$
Fook anyone that gets in our way

They got greedy after lost revenues of Covid years full stop!
Then after Covid they tried to recoup all that in one super stupid year with waaaaayyyy too many competitors

Now they get some heat as to disrupting a populations life for more than the usual & folks think it is Kona saying no.... it is not.

Kona has always been welcoming to the HAWAII Ironman
But the IM organization has just gone full greed.

It is suppose to be a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP for gawds sake
Not a get as many competitors as you can to line our pockets race & damn anyone who gets in our way

Answer is simple scale the size to what it should be & always was.

Or yeah throw a tantrum & go elsewhere BUT....it will no longer be what was conceived, born & raised in Hawaii... The Hawaii Ironman World Championship
Last edited by: flying: Nov 30, 22 22:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been suggested. My thoughts if they want to keep the general public 'happy' they would still do it over 2 days, but one in February and one in October. This would keep the 'tradition alive' and keep the history of the race alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [multisportfun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are we still talking about Kona vs no Kona?

In either camp, we get what we want every other year! Everyone should be celebrating
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Nov 30, 22 23:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next