Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

The truth of the matter is GBR is no longer a shoe in medal contender. On their day they are up there but the lack of depth on the mens side is concerning. Brownlee hasn’t exactly been consistent the last few years and isn’t on a start list now.
Still performing well at superleague, I think he could pull off a 1st leg that would keep us well in contention.
Thank you. I tried to find the Super League 2023 results but everything has been redirected to supertri. The run is only 2km. If another of the strong second team men are selected ahead of him, there are at least a couple (eg Izzard) who can be close enough by handover for GTB/Waugh to close the gap. Maybe I'm being a tad unkind to Stapley: he wouldn't lose that many seconds in a 2km run
"On their day they are up there [on the MTR podium]" Every major MTR they raced, I think, though/and all without Brownlee last year.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 1, 24 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
dannyboyjim wrote:
Pretty sure Max is not actually eligible to race for team GB in the Olympics. Have a feeling the Olympic rules are slightly different to ‘what vest are you wearing in ITU’ in a ‘just switched’ situation like this.

which rule would that be you are speaking off

I believe he has a UK passport now which makes him eligible (doesn’t mean I think he will be selected!). I believe Richard Murray is now eligible for NED Olympics as well as he was picking up his Dutch passport at the embassy is SA the other week. The criteria for Olympics is slightly different.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jackets wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

The truth of the matter is GBR is no longer a shoe in medal contender. On their day they are up there but the lack of depth on the mens side is concerning. Brownlee hasn’t exactly been consistent the last few years and isn’t on a start list now.
Still performing well at superleague, I think he could pull off a 1st leg that would keep us well in contention.
Thank you. I tried to find the Super League 2023 results but everything has been redirected to supertri. The run is only 2km. If another of the strong second team men are selected ahead of him, there are at least a couple (eg Izzard) who can be close enough by handover for GTB/Waugh to close the gap. Maybe I'm being a tad unkind to Stapley: he wouldn't lose that many seconds in a 2km run
"On their day they are up there [on the MTR podium]" Every major MTR they raced, I think, though/and all without Brownlee last year.

Massive assumption that GTB and Waugh would be selected over Potter and Coldwell.

6 months to go no one is in or out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I posted before (along with the TriStats article). He has completed for aus in this Olympic qualification period.

I think that is the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
there are at least a couple (eg Izzard) who can be close enough by handover for GTB/Waugh to close the gap. Maybe I'm being a tad unkind to Stapley: he wouldn't lose that many seconds in a 2km run
Massive assumption that GTB and Waugh would be selected over Potter and Coldwell.
6 months to go no one is in or out.
Sorry to confuse you. The "/" is intended to show that GBR Leg 2 will be either GTB or Waugh, not that Potter would be dropped - course not.
But you nitty pick over whether Bergere and Lombardi will race - of course I know they are not yet qualified/selected, but I'd like to know who you think France will pick (if not Lombardi) for the MTR Leg 2. For Bergere read Le Corre if you want: we've seen how all 3 (with Coninx) are super dependable, consistent and will make the French team very hard to beat.
With about 4 months to go (8 July) we know some who are in. We have no idea whether GTB is back to her early 2023 standard. If she isn't, the choice between Waugh and Coldwell for Leg 2 is one every other nation would delighted to have.
Is GTB strong enough for 70.3?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dannyboyjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think as long as you sit out the prescribed stand down period in time to then be eligible for the next federation, you are good to go. Which is what he has done, though strangely enough during his 2022 results within a 2 month period they had him as Aussie and next race GB and then after that TRI flag (so assuming someone put him under wrong designation).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long shots buy Learmonth and Holland are still ITU athletes as far as I'm aware, Learmonth, is brilliant at super sprint distance! (She was posting training vids a few days ago)

However I've no idea if any have a chance of qualifying with points criteria etc. I know Vicky podiumed at a WC race at the end of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jackets wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

I think Sheridan is working for the French and is trying to demolorize the Brits for Paris, I'd like him to explain who he thinks are going to push all the Brits out the medals and why.

I'd put a weeks wage on us at least equaling Tokyos medals at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Long shots buy Learmonth and Holland are still ITU athletes as far as I'm aware, Learmonth, is brilliant at super sprint distance! (She was posting training vids a few days ago)

However I've no idea if any have a chance of qualifying with points criteria etc. I know Vicky podiumed at a WC race at the end of the year.
As you imply, Learmonth (1988) and Holland (1986) have zero chance of qualifying. So would BriTri discretionary select one instead of GTB/Waugh/Coldwell: a wealth of world class talent (#12/#6/#5 in the WTCS Rankings) Remember the latter two will likely be on the GBR programme for Los Angeles (whereas Potter (1991) and GTB (1994) unlikely) so the experience to take forward is an additional factor I'd take into account (quite small account) in favour of Waugh (1999).
Having said all that Learmonth would be a super-solid pick for Leg 2 (assuming she's back up to speed): she'd catch those ahead in the water, ride round at the front/sharing pulling and set Yee off in touch.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 1, 24 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listening to the TT podcast, the hosts seemed to suggest Paris water quality is going to be a real thing still, even with what the record finances put forth to clean up the Seine (spelling). Mentioned another non-Paris French location likely?

I always assumed WT even with all the water quality checks they would simply make it happen, and not allow the top event in our sport to be turned into a "duathlon".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw an article about President Macron saying that he'll swim in the Seine to prove it's ready and clean enough for the Olympics so I'm sure they're doing everything to ensure it's swimmable by July/August.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think as long as you sit out the prescribed stand down period in time to then be eligible for the next federation, you are good to go. Which is what he has done, though strangely enough during his 2022 results within a 2 month period they had him as Aussie and next race GB and then after that TRI flag (so assuming someone put him under wrong designation).

I vaguely remember it being less important for U23/junior as well. I thought I listened to a podcast that said he was eligible now that he had his UK passport.

When was the last time Richard Murray raced for SA? He picked up his Dutch passport in February and is MTR Dutch for Paris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jackets wrote:

As you imply, Learmonth (1988) and Holland (1986) have zero chance of qualifying. So would BriTri discretionary select one instead of GTB/Waugh/Coldwell: a wealth of world class talent (#12/#6/#5 in the WTCS Rankings) Remember the latter two will likely be on the GBR programme for Los Angeles (whereas Potter (1991) and GTB (1994) unlikely) so the experience to take forward is an additional factor I'd take into account (quite small account) in favour of Waugh (1999).
Having said all that Learmonth would be a super-solid pick for Leg 2 (assuming she's back up to speed): she'd catch those ahead in the water, ride round at the front/sharing pulling and set Yee off in touch.

Holland is waitlisted for AbuDhabi but not much chance of starting. Jess I am not sure will be back at the highest level by July but if she is that would be a fantastic domestique for Potter or GTB (if she gets back to the same level).

Not sure GTBs running is right back where it needs to be but by the selection race she should be back at the right level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Jackets wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

I think Sheridan is working for the French and is trying to demolorize the Brits for Paris, I'd like him to explain who he thinks are going to push all the Brits out the medals and why.

I'd put a weeks wage on us at least equaling Tokyos medals at this point.

MTR France, Germany, GBR and never say never against the Aussies. But that is dependant on Brownlee being fit and healthy, big difference if he isn’t.

Mens it is going to be harder to make the French 3rd slot than the race! I think home advantage could result in 2 french men getting medals. The big Norwegian lad might be laughing at people saying Yee is favourite for gold. Then there are a host of Germans and one off athletes having the race of their life. Let’s face it who thought Schoeman was going to medal? Then there are the NGBs who decide to have domestiques. Reduced field size will make lead group harder to catch but on that course I am not sure the lead group can stay away. If it rains on the day it is a games changer (literally ha ha).

Women’s - who knows. Is Duffy back to her best, is GTB back at the top, can Potter build on her breakthrough year? Beaugrand can she improve her bike skills to stay in that lead group. Lombardi is young and another year to be stronger? The 3 German women had brilliant seasons last year. Then there is the enormous unknown of who is going to make the womens team for USA. Knibb is a massive factor and you don’t even know who the other 2 will be until weeks before the games.

Hopefully, the shitty Seine will be clean enough, it will be sunny and there will be 3 fantastic races that really show triathlon as a brilliant sport. I would love to see 5/6 men together in the last 1k just like when Frodeno won. Not sure it will be like that for the women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good calls!

I also wouldn’t count the US out for MTR.

Is anyone in this thread on the ground in Clermont? Brooks?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately not at Clermont this year. Our school is hosting 1st and 2nd round of ncaa basketball tournament so I got roped in to working all weekend….so Florida trip got cancelled.

Miami next weekend I think is going to be pretty awesome.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with all that, we all know in a big one off race there are unknown factors, but apart from Schoeman in the last three Olympics, there's hasn't been any surprises.

We're at the start of the year and we've only got last year to go off, at this point for me...

Men Yee/Wilde and one of the French for the medals.

Women Potter/GTB/Duffy/CB/Waugh/Lombardi

MTR France/GB/USA/Germany

GB have to be desperately unlucky to do worse then Tokyo.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dannyboyjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyboyjim wrote:
As I posted before (along with the TriStats article). He has completed for aus in this Olympic qualification period.

I think that is the problem.

That isn't a problem, many athletes in past transferred during the qualifying period. World Tri require the one year stand down, but many other sports that isn't required.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has start to worry me a bit recently, such as the depth of the women's GB team (this had been the last three Olympic cycles)

GB women start claiming Irish ancestry etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

I vaguely remember it being less important for U23/junior as well. I thought I listened to a podcast that said he was eligible now that he had his UK passport.

When was the last time Richard Murray raced for SA? He picked up his Dutch passport in February and is MTR Dutch for Paris.

Max’s father is Brit (so I think has had a passport for a long time already), Mum is French (he raced for France as a junior) but grew up in Australia.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What am I missing from C.3 here?

https://www.triathlon.org/...024-QS-Triathlon.pdf

And then he competed for Aus in Arzachena in be qualifying window

https://triathlon.org/...cup_arzachena/544380

So surely not eligible for the olympics in Paris?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well one of Max Stapley's goals for the year is to qualify for GB for the Olympics and I'm pretty sure he would have checked that he is eligible
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is definately eligible, Nener transferred to Japan with one year racing under ITU then Japan for what would have been the Olympic year points stay with their name, regardless of country. Other lesser known athletes have also done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyboyjim wrote:

stapley has his first race for uk on the 27th july 2022 which means before he was under the itu flag so he cant have raced for australia on may 28th as it says in itu results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dannyboyjim wrote:

These photos show Stapley racing as ITU as early as 2019.

https://www.alamy.com/...-image531098899.html

Did he switch twice?
Quote Reply

Prev Next