Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Barclay Izzard now gone from the start list.
Siwane is now on the start list, leaving Max Stapley and Samuel Dickinson one and two.
However, I noticed last year that 61 started and not the so-called maximum of 55.
Not sure, how and when extra numbers get added or not?
I guess it's possible that Milner could get on as he is now third on list and with Barclay gone, they would not be exceeding their quota. It would be interesting if he got on.
Link for ease of access:
https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ies_abu_dhabi/627943
Milner swam with Wilde in Napier and rode in same chase group.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Siwane is now on the start list, leaving Max Stapley and Samuel Dickinson one and two.
However, I noticed last year that 61 started and not the so-called maximum of 55.
I guess it's possible that Milner could get on as he is now third on list and with Barclay gone, they would not be exceeding their quota. It would be interesting if he got on.

They aren't meant to add more, is stated max 55 starters but last year my feeling is that as Iden was ranked as 61st starter World tri played favoritism as they wanted the world long course champ to race. To be less obvious ranked 56 to 60 also had to be added to not cause uproar. Just my opinion, not a publicly stated fact.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Feb 28, 24 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ashtanga_yogi wrote:
The latest list is here: https://www.triathlon.org/...s/Waiting_lists6.pdf However this is already out of date as Knabl is now on the start list. That effectively means Dan Dixon of GB is top of the list unless a German pulls out in which case Schaufler will get in.
Dixon is now on.
Latest wait list: https://www.triathlon.org/...s/Waiting_lists7.pdf (updated noon (Europe) yesterday (Tuesday))
So next up are Siwane (MAR) and Stapley (GBR). I think that if Stapley and Dickinson get on, Milner exceeds the national quota (5), though not shown as such.
Oly Q system: https://www.triathlon.org/...024-QS-Triathlon.pdf

Siwane is on the start list so Stapley is 1st waitlisted. I really hope he gets to race, if his progression has continued over the winter I think he has the best potential of the Brits behind Yee.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yokohama had 60 starters too
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Siwane is on the start list so Stapley is 1st waitlisted. I really hope he gets to race, if his progression has continued over the winter I think he has the best potential of the Brits behind Yee.
Potential for what, pray? A good result in this sprint race? Is Brownlee set up for Leg 2 of the relay? Or is that the potential you identify?

The primary team aim must be to get two GBR men (besides Yee) up into the AQ rankings. Seems an impossible ask.

Brooks can tell us what position Jorgensen has to finish to stay ahead, in the WTCS rankings (top 5 USA) if Zaferes wins in Miami.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where does this come from? British triathlon don't agree with you because they did not put him on the performance program.
That apart, think the second man relay choice goes:
Jonny brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon
Just don't see max stapley there. Sure, he's a great swim/ biker , but there is work to do on the run there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Where does this come from? British triathlon don't agree with you because they did not put him on the performance program.
Jonny brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon
Just don't see max stapley there. Sure, he's a great swim/ biker , but there is work to do on the run there

He didn’t get his nationality sorted out until late in the season and he wasn’t consistently on the start line until much later. He had some decent results from July onwards.

Nothing is getting decided until the last minute if we don’t get 3 on the start line. I wouldn’t put any money on those 3 being a certainty for anything.

I can see GBTri losing a lot of funding next year. They need 2 silvers and 1 Gold to maintain current funding. I think GTB and Potter stand a good chance of getting an individual medal along with Yee. I am not so confident they will get a medal in the relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
sidelined wrote:
think the second man relay choice goes:
Jonny Brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon
Nothing is getting decided until the last minute if we don’t get 3 on the start line. I wouldn’t put any money on those 3 being a certainty for anything.
I can see GBTri losing a lot of funding next year. They need 2 silvers and 1 Gold to maintain current funding. I think GTB and Potter stand a good chance of getting an individual medal along with Yee. I am not so confident they will get a medal in the relay.
Stapley on Leg 1 would hand GTB or Waugh a significant deficit to catch with the majority of the field up the road and working hard together to keep GBR out of it - they can see a Yee/Potter combo stamping their feet in the handover box as well as we can. I'll hand you a certainty: either Brownlee or Dickinson or Dixon will lead off the pontoon.
"Nothing is getting decided" - I assume you mean that no decision needs to be made till entry closing date of 8 July. So what? The last race is Cagliari 25 May (and the MTR starts will be sewn up by then (plus Spain possibly). Do you expect those listed by @sidelined to be jousting it out at lower level competitions around the world?
"I am not so (sic) confident [GBR] will get a medal in the relay." You are well up the pessimism spectrum here, imho. I would say they are co-favourites with France and Deutschland very close too. Which other country will sneak onto the podium?
I wonder whether France will put Beaugrand on Leg 2 (combining with Bergere (say) on Leg 1) and invite Lombardi to run it home.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Link for ease of access:
https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ies_abu_dhabi/627943
Milner swam with Wilde in Napier and rode in same chase group.

Take IG with many grains of salt, but it also sounds like Milner might have been under the weather as well. I hope he keeps progressing, mostly because as a fellow tall guy we need a champion out there running fast!

Big Matty Reed, Frodeno, Matt Sharpe, all moved on…who will carry the flag for the lumbering giants now? Go Hugo!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The crazy part and I didn't realize that Miami was a Conti Championship until just last week. KZ is in the cat bird seat with Miami being a 400 point race (standard distance + Conti Champs) + QOF (20-30% boost) + top 5 boost; 1st = 25% increase.

So GJ currently has such a strong ledger of points from all her 1st or 2nd's WC, that in order to actually improve her ranking, GJ has to finish 10th or better. Anything less and the points won't matter before the Yoko start list.

Both GJ and KZ will roll off current scores from the same race they did last March; KZ was 1st; GJ was 2nd. So it'll be an 10.39 point gain for KZ. She's currently 215.85 points behind (which is basically 205.46 when you factor in the 10+ boost KZ will gain from the scores rolling off on March 25th of this year).

KZ's lowest score is 232.50 so if she gets a 500+ point race, she will 267.50 points; which is then that delta is higher than GJ can actually improve even if she races the Hong Kong WC and wins it....That race can only improve GJ's points by 28.12 points.

So summary- GJ has to finish top 10 AD to improve her ranking points. IF KZ wins Miami and gets 500+ points from said win, then GJ needs to be about 8th or better to stay ahead. If after this race and the March 25th race rolls to previous category, the difference is greater than 28.12 points, KZ is locked into Yoko ahead of GJ.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Morgan Pearson would fit that bill.
He always looks large to me, especially for a good runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is taller than most - I thought he looked like a giant chasing folks at the test event. I met him I. Milwaukee last year and he is up to my nose, so probably 6 feet.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pearson is avg height, 5’11 ~180cm but he sorta does have a gangly run gait so there is that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairly tall for ITU, and his style definitely adds to the “being chased in a horror movie” vibe!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Jonny Brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon

Stapley on Leg 1 would hand GTB or Waugh a significant deficit to catch with the majority of the field up the road and working hard together to keep GBR out of it - they can see a Yee/Potter combo stamping their feet in the handover box as well as we can. I'll hand you a certainty: either Brownlee or Dickinson or Dixon will lead off the pontoon.
"Nothing is getting decided" - I assume you mean that no decision needs to be made till entry closing date of 8 July. So what? The last race is Cagliari 25 May (and the MTR starts will be sewn up by then (plus Spain possibly). Do you expect those listed by @sidelined to be jousting it out at lower level competitions around the world?
"I am not so (sic) confident [GBR] will get a medal in the relay." You are well up the pessimism spectrum here, imho. I would say they are co-favourites with France and Deutschland very close too. Which other country will sneak onto the podium?
I wonder whether France will put Beaugrand on Leg 2 (combining with Bergere (say) on Leg 1) and invite Lombardi to run it home.

Simply stating I hope Stapley gets a chance to show his progression doesn’t translate into me saying he should be an MTR athlete in Paris.

6 months to go, absolutely no one has proven their fitness to race never mind their fitness to be selected for MTR. Do you understand how funding works? They HAVE to equal the medal tally at the last games just to maintain funding. Every medal less is worth approx ÂŁ1 million but that exact formulae is yet to be released.

The truth of the matter is GBR is no longer a shoe in medal contender. On their day they are up there but the lack of depth on the mens side is concerning. Brownlee hasn’t exactly been consistent the last few years and isn’t on a start list now.

Just for clarification Bergere and Lombardi haven’t met the selection criteria and aren’t going to the games at this point in time! Not saying they won’t be going but your argument is just as flawed as you seem to think mine is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure Max is not actually eligible to race for team GB in the Olympics. Have a feeling the Olympic rules are slightly different to ‘what vest are you wearing in ITU’ in a ‘just switched’ situation like this.
Last edited by: dannyboyjim: Mar 1, 24 0:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Jonny Brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon

why does the sentence, "i am not so confident they will get a medal in the relay" get a (sic)?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dannyboyjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyboyjim wrote:
Pretty sure Max is not actually eligible to race for team GB in the Olympics. Have a feeling the Olympic rules are slightly different to ‘what vest are you wearing in ITU’ in a ‘just switched’ situation like this.

which rule would that be you are speaking off
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

why does the sentence, "i am not so confident they will get a medal in the relay" get a (sic)?
Because that's what Sheridan said and what does that actually mean?
sic erat scriptum: "thus was it written"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic
Does it mean 'I am not confident' or does it mean 'I am not very confident' or does it mean 'I am confident, but still with a scintilla of doubt'.
If the latter then I think Sheridan is bang on: GBR are not locked on for a medal in the MTR, but the odds for them being out of the top three are long, given the quality of their athletes who'll be on Legs 2, 3 and 4 and the dynamic likely in Paris.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dannyboyjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannyboyjim wrote:

Don't think you are right. He had a year racing under ITU which is the requirement prior to changing racing nationalities. I have always been under the impression that is all that is needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
The truth of the matter is GBR is no longer a shoe in medal contender. On their day they are up there but the lack of depth on the mens side is concerning. Brownlee hasn’t exactly been consistent the last few years and isn’t on a start list now.

Disagree, JB was very consistent last year. Sadly he consistently had very poor runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what rule it is, but racing for Aus in this qualification period is the problem

https://tri-stats.com/...ritish-triathlete/#:~:text=However%2C%20as%20previously%20noted%2C%20Stapley,Britain%20at%20the%20Paris%20Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Jonny brownlee
Sam Dickinson
Dan Dixon

He didn’t get his nationality sorted out until late in the season and he wasn’t consistently on the start line until much later. He had some decent results from July onwards.

GB could go better than we did in Tokyo, Yee is favourite for gold, probably only Duffy (if she comes back as good as she was before her very long injury lay off) you would put as a favourite ahead of Potter and GTB (if GTB comes back as good as she was before her long injury lay off) Waugh last year was looking like a medal contender and Coldwell on a very good day, could if she makes the team medal.

The relay team are a very solid joint favourites for gold with France, we have to be very unlucky to do worse than Tokyo in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:

Disagree, JB was very consistent last year. Sadly he consistently had very poor runs.

Still performing well at superleague, I think he could pull off a 1st leg that would keep us well in contention.
Last edited by: Jackets: Mar 1, 24 5:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. I don’t think he has any realistic chance in the individual as he doesn’t seem to have the pace/strength over 10k anymore, but in the shorter distance of the relay he still has something to give.
Quote Reply

Prev Next