Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louis is now on the start list, replaced Lecorre
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:

who has already qualified? I thought Lecorre was the one who hasn't locked up a spot?

Im terrible at spelling, so no offense here, but it is Luis.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait list is posted. Don't see Duffy on the wait list?
Johnny is 10th on the wait list. 6th if you exclude athletes whose federation exceeds their limit.
Assuming the 5 above get on when the start list is expanded, that would leave Johnny 1st on wait list (assuming I am correct in how this works)
So a good chance Johnny will be racing in Abu Dhabi.
Iden is on the waitlist.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

who has already qualified? I thought Lecorre was the one who hasn't locked up a spot?
Bergère has not AQdhttps://www.tri247.com/...cation-latest-update
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 8, 24 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Ooof.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Wait list is posted. Don't see Duffy on the wait list?
Johnny is 10th on the wait list. 6th if you exclude athletes whose federation exceeds their limit.
Assuming the 5 above get on when the start list is expanded, that would leave Johnny 1st on wait list (assuming I am correct in how this works)
So a good chance Johnny will be racing in Abu Dhabi.
Iden is on the waitlist.

Have they changed the link for the waitlist? I am just seeing a blank list.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know about the link
I search on "wait" and the link for the waitlist PDF comes up.
It is still there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:

Ooof.

Yep, Conninx and LeCorre have met the pre-qualification criteria (still need to show form in 2024). The last and 3rd spot will be a battle between Vincent Luis and Leo Bergere. No matter how you slice it, one great triathlete will miss out. And if Vincent comes back to form in 2024 following an injury-ravaged 2023 then an almost impossible choice for the selectors. I mean Luis's only race in 2023 was a WTCS podium! Leo is a top 5 WTCS performer (over the full season), but lacks the finishing kick to place higher most of the time. This is what could open the door for Vincent as he's world best on that same criteria. The advantage for Bergere is that the relay format has changed this Olympic cycle, and Luis's finishing kick is less of an asset as the 1st or 3rd relay that it would be as the 4th. Plus the French already have Conninx with similar qualities (great finish).

But I wouldn't want to be the one making the decision (alternatively one could say it's a great position to be in with no shortage of great solutions).
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Yep, Conninx and LeCorre have met the pre-qualification criteria (still need to show form in 2024). The last and 3rd spot will be a battle between Vincent Luis and Leo Bergere. No matter how you slice it, one great triathlete will miss out. And if Vincent comes back to form in 2024 following an injury-ravaged 2023 then an almost impossible choice for the selectors. I mean Luis's only race in 2023 was a WTCS podium! Leo is a top 5 WTCS performer (over the full season), but lacks the finishing kick to place higher most of the time. This is what could open the door for Vincent as he's world best on that same criteria. The advantage for Bergere is that the relay format has changed this Olympic cycle, and Luis's finishing kick is less of an asset as the 1st or 3rd relay that it would be as the 4th. Plus the French already have Conninx with similar qualities (great finish). But I wouldn't want to be the one making the decision (alternatively one could say it's a great position to be in with no shortage of great solutions).
In their time, both Bergère and Luis have been great athletes and World Champions at short course. The rather important difference is that Luis' time was 2019 - 2021 and Bergère's time is 2022 and 2023; and imho 2024.
Luis's only WTCS (level) finish in 2023 was his 4th this time last year in a sprint at Abu Dhabi (maybe you are a '5 is the podium' person). He DNF'd in Paris, and that's it. He seems to manage one a year (Bermuda in 2022). "Finishing kick"? In the past: regret no longer.
https://triathlon.org/...e/11143/vincent_luis
Bergère is impressive and at the same level as Coninx and Le Corre: and a step above in the World Champs grand final in Abu Dhabi 15 months ago, with that tremendous win: performing when it really mattered with the pressure on, after a fantastic season to put himself in reach of the world win with a race win. He is young too so selecting him is an investment (giving experience) for LA. Compare that with Luis whose draft legal racing is close to done and heading for T100 wildcards, if his body can manage that.
https://www.triathlon.org/...ts/63162/leo_bergere
Selecting fragile Luis would be a romantic aberration unless there is a significant twist in their relative performance in these first 3 WTCS races, with most weight on Yokohama and Cagliari, since Abu Dhabi is only a sprint. Luis if picked would not be in the MTR team. Bergère gives the selectors/management three great relay athletes, in case one's below par during or after the individual, to put Beaugrand in a position for the win.
We'll see Luis in T100 London, as a spectating hors d'oeuvre for the shoot out in Paris two days later between Bergère, Yee, Wilde, Coninx, Le Corre,Vilaca; and Pearson even. Unless the FFT shackles remain on and he's forced into a sub's tracksuit watching from a Seine bridge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. If France want to maximize their medal chances, it's no contest. Vincent Luis has maintained his quality as the greatest Casanova in the history of triathlon but in terms of pure sports performance Bergere is currently head and shoulders above even a healthy Luis.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
I agree. If France want to maximize their medal chances, it's no contest. Vincent Luis has maintained his quality as the greatest Casanova in the history of triathlon but in terms of pure sports performance Bergere is currently head and shoulders above even a healthy Luis.
Luis' move to T100 is all about timing, and not just because of the competitive opportunities up the front end. Quality (ranking) not quantity has been his leitmotif: top 5 minimum (SC and MD).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Feb 10, 24 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

While chances are good that you are correct , this post still falls a bit bellow the standard off this ITU thread, that tends to be a bit of a higher quality and less lavender room stuff than the rest of the forum .

On the other hand one could argue if the french guys want to get away they need Vicente's swim power and aggression on the bike.
And the French have the highest chance to get a medal the longer the breakaway sticks.
They are not going to outrun Yee and Wilde in a wet run and nobody would bet on them beating pearson and Blum either.
So you have to ask do you risk having the french 4 ,5 and 6th place or go for a break away where you then could then see a 1. 2 and 35 th place.
I never understood why the Brits used a donestigue apart from Vargas but for the french in my mind it could make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Connix can kick with anyone, including Yee and Wilde. He outkicked Yee in the Tokyo test event. Of course it is preferable to be so far ahead of Yee that you don't have to leave it to a kick with him but, if it comes down to a kick, Connix is as good as anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

While chances are good that you are correct , this post still falls a bit bellow the standard off this ITU thread, that tends to be a bit of a higher quality and less lavender room stuff than the rest of the forum .

Fortunately the moderators don't seem to share your belief that the use of humor is only allowed in the LR.
pk wrote:
On the other hand one could argue if the french guys want to get away they need Vicente's swim power and aggression on the bike.
And the French have the highest chance to get a medal the longer the breakaway sticks.

I don't think Luis is currently a stronger cyclist than Bergere. And if the French need to be aggressive, they will be. Don't know about the swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Luis is currently a stronger cyclist than Bergere. And if the French need to be aggressive, they will be. Don't know about the swim.//

Well those of us that follow closely ITU racing, know that the swim comes first... (-; Luis is one of the best, if not the best swimmer you could have to help break up the lead group in the water. He has done this exact thing on several occasions, so he knows the drill. And over half of making a small bike break is done in the actual swim, so there is that. Whether he is faster or not on the bike over Bergere is of no consequence. For me personally, I would stipulate in a break situation that Luis is the stronger and more aggressive, and more tactically savvy rider. So if it is a domestic you are looking for, he certainly should be at the top of the list.

But more importantly I want to see where he is at these days, because he is a weapon for a top placing if he is healthy and fit. He would do all those things I just mentioned to make a break stick, but still be able to run off of that effort at his best. But like GTB or Duffy, we just dont know where they are anymore, and there will have to be some proof in the pudding so to speak. I'm just excited he is on the start lists, must mean he is at least doing something of consequence in his preparations. After Allistar, he was my favorite guy to watch in races, and a guy that changed the entire dynamic of how a race was going to play out....

And as to the sports Cassanova, perhaps the current one, but no way the GOAT....(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. If I were the coach I would base the selection on getting the best possible swim-bike TTT, even if that includes Luis (who is likely not running as well as the other three). With the other three having a ~29:15 10k off the bike, if they can get 45-60 seconds on Wilde/Yee at T2, they might make it.

About Luis's personal life...it was a guy in this forum that tagged him as "morally corrupt" around the time he allegedly dumped T. Spivey for GTB...that's all we know, so agreed that it might be a bit uncalled for to tag him as "casanova". He seems to have a serious relationship with GTB.

Can't be that hard to imagine that 100 fir and good looking kids in their 20s or early 30s get to see each other every other week for about 9 months per year in exotic locations around the world and that a few (or a lot) of them would do some "active recovery" among them. Agreed this is off topic, but wanted to clarify that it might not be fair to tag him like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is consistently the best thread on ST, just as short course is the most entertaining form of racing.

Jack Kelly must have been kicked in the head by a horse to prefer long course viewing.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Agreed this is off topic, but wanted to clarify that it might not be fair to tag him like that.

Oh boy… just for clarity: it was a joke. J-O-K-E. Are you German by any chance? 😉

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
Agreed this is off topic, but wanted to clarify that it might not be fair to tag him like that.

Oh boy… just for clarity: it was a joke. J-O-K-E. Are you German by any chance? 😉

From my dad's side actually. =oP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

Fortunately the moderators don't seem to share your belief that the use of humor is only allowed in the LR.
pk wrote:

I don't think Luis is currently a stronger cyclist than Bergere. And if the French need to be aggressive, they will be. Don't know about the swim.

the swim is the key not the bike and louis is the one that could make a difference i would agree they are both the same on the bike but if you dont create the gap in the swim you have 0 chance to get away on this course it will be hard enough to stay away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

the issue was not your joke despite being a bit off topic
monty explained to you what the issue of your post was.
its a silly comment to say that berger is head and sholder above luis or is the clear pick , as it depends on how you look at it
and if you justify your opinion cool a the end its a place to exchange opinions , and we can all learn a bit , but just writing a flipant commnet is bellow par.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luis is on the start list but not Brownlee.

No KZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

Nice. Have a read of the link above.
Last edited by: CreativeInkling: Feb 10, 24 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
its a silly comment to say that berger (sic) is head and sholder (sic) above luis or is the clear pick , as it depends on how you look at it
and if you justify your opinion cool a the end its a place to exchange opinions , and we can all learn a bit , but just writing a flipant (sic) commnet (sic) is bellow (sic) par.
Bergère is head and shoulders above Luis. Bergère is a clear pick at this stage, has been since end 2022 and will remain a clear selection for that final French slot. I offered the reasons in my post up thread. He is also the moral choice (because he has shown over the last two years he's better, has won a world championship, hasn't been to the Olympics multiple times (cf Luis), and is much younger so a build for LA28.
It's 'silly' to call other people's posts "silly": as you say "it depends how you look at it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:
Engner66 wrote:

the issue was not your joke despite being a bit off topic
its a silly comment to say that berger is head and sholder above luis or is the clear pick , as it depends on how you look at it
and if you justify your opinion cool a the end its a place to exchange opinions , and we can all learn a bit , but just writing a flipant commnet is bellow par.

Now I get what you mean. You expect reasoned opinions instead of silly hot takes. I normally do, too, except:

1. That Bergere was head and shoulders above Luis was more of a fact than opinion to me (even though I admit it’s technically an opinion), given their results in the last two years and their rankings. I didn’t feel it needed to be justified. All you have to do is go to their profiles on triathlon.org.

2. There is a lot of merit in this thread, which I find massively beneficial, but nothing wrong in the occasional hot take and silly argument to lighten things up. We’re sports fans, not a scientific conference. (This is clearly an opinion).

Cheers.

Quote Reply

Prev Next