Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:
If WTC turned Louisville into a 70.3 it would be the perfect warm-up race for IMCHOO.

4 weeks out might be a little close but make that 6 weeks out and I wouldn't argue.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
trifan wrote:
If WTC turned Louisville into a 70.3 it would be the perfect warm-up race for IMCHOO.

4 weeks out might be a little close but make that 6 weeks out and I wouldn't argue.

I don't know what would be hotter, Louisville in August or Louisville in July.........
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
trifan wrote:

I don't know what would be hotter, Louisville in August or Louisville in July.........

Louisville is now 4 weeks before the Chattanooga race. Moving it 2 weeks earlier (6 weeks from Chattanooga) would still be August. That would make a Louisville 70.3 approx. Aug 15th or thereabouts.........

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gah, not what I was hoping for.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if they moved IMLOU to late May? The current US IM calendar is so back loaded. there are only two before July. an earlier IM in Louisville with less heat and humidity may be popular.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
bwain wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
trifan wrote:

IMCHOO.....very very clever.

Louisville is now 4 weeks before the Chattanooga race. Moving it 2 weeks earlier (6 weeks from Chattanooga) would still be August. That would make a Louisville 70.3 approx. Aug 15th or thereabouts.........
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the water quality of the Tennessee River there. I've only seen it up in Nashville and it didn't look appealing for a swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
What if they moved IMLOU to late May? The current US IM calendar is so back loaded. there are only two before July. an earlier IM in Louisville with less heat and humidity may be popular.
In Reply To:

As a 2x Louisville finisher, I would be exicted about a May race. I still have unfinished business on that course..........

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
In Reply To:

As a 2x Louisville finisher, I would be exicted about a May race. I still have unfinished business on that course..........

I think the water level of the river is way too high in the spring for the swim to be viable. I may be wrong though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [LouisLouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the Cumberland River that flows through Nashville, not the Tennessee. Tennessee River stays about 50+ miles west of Nashville. Upstream of Chattanooga is Knoxville and Asheville.

Actually there is a group of open water swimmers (C.O.W.S) that swim almost entirely in the river on a weekly basis, so guessing the water quality is not too bad, but it depends on rainfall etc what gets washed in, but that is true with any open water.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Last edited by: Trippertim: Aug 19, 13 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [LouisLouis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How is the water quality of the Tennessee River there. I've only seen it up in Nashville and it didn't look appealing for a swim.

It's not too bad. I've never had a problem with it while doing the Waterfront triathlon and I know the Chattanooga Open Water swimmers hold several meets on the river. I'm sure it's no worse and possibly better than the Ohio.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trippertim wrote:
It is the Cumberland River that flows through Nashville, not the Tennessee. Tennessee River stays about 50+ miles west of Nashville. Upstream of Chattanooga is Knoxville and Asheville, and we keep our water perfect here before sending it to them ;-)

Actually, from looking on the web, there seems to be a group of open water swimmers (C.O.W.S) that swim almost entirely in the river on a weekly basis, so guessing the water quality is not too bad, but I'm sure it depends on rainfall etc what gets washed in, but that is true with any open water.

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a great town. I'll have to consider it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI, Never been to Chattanooga before but I was wondering about that Hamilton place and a couple hotels there.. how difficult will the drive be from there and most importantly parking? Is staying there a decent idea or would be highly advisable to stay downtown?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been there.. what will the cross street/ intersections of transition and start / finish be? Just so I can get an idea of where to lodge based on looking at a GOOGLE maps..

THanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
HI, Never been to Chattanooga before but I was wondering about that Hamilton place and a couple hotels there.. how difficult will the drive be from there and most importantly parking? Is staying there a decent idea or would be highly advisable to stay downtown?

Thanks

Hamilton Place area is fairly nice and about a 15 minute drive from downtown. There are a number of chain hotels - a new Hilton and I believe an Embassy Suites are being built now - as well as a number of popular chain restaurants and big box stores. You have two choices for driving into downtown - I-75/I-24 and Hwy 53/Amicola Hwy, both of which take about the same amount of time. Parking downtown can be tricky if you are not familiar with the area. Street parking is largely metered and there are a number of monitored private lots and decks.

To me, the choice would probably come down to what you are looking for in terms of spending your downtime around the race. If you want to see Chattanooga, stay downtown. There are a number of good local restaurants, bars, museums, movie theater, and great places to generally walk around and enjoy the scenery. Hamilton Place offers conveniences, but is really no different than similar development sites in most large towns around the country centered around a shopping mall. If you are traveling with kids, I would definitely recommend downtown if for nothing else to avoid having to worry about parking. Most of the hotels are very close to transition and should be near the run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Trifecta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trifecta wrote:
caffeinatedtri wrote:

Thanks

Hamilton Place area is fairly nice and about a 15 minute drive from downtown. There are a number of chain hotels - a new Hilton and I believe an Embassy Suites are being built now - as well as a number of popular chain restaurants and big box stores. You have two choices for driving into downtown - I-75/I-24 and Hwy 53/Amicola Hwy, both of which take about the same amount of time. Parking downtown can be tricky if you are not familiar with the area. Street parking is largely metered and there are a number of monitored private lots and decks.

To me, the choice would probably come down to what you are looking for in terms of spending your downtime around the race. If you want to see Chattanooga, stay downtown. There are a number of good local restaurants, bars, museums, movie theater, and great places to generally walk around and enjoy the scenery. Hamilton Place offers conveniences, but is really no different than similar development sites in most large towns around the country centered around a shopping mall. If you are traveling with kids, I would definitely recommend downtown if for nothing else to avoid having to worry about parking. Most of the hotels are very close to transition and should be near the run course.

Personally I would stay downtown. It will feel like you are in the "Olympic Village". Downtown was a crap hole when I moved here nearly 20 years ago. Now I absolutely love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea on what they will cap the race at, entrants that is? This will be my first full. I am a Nooga lover, regular on the Rock Creek trail series there, and would like nothing better to cross the finish line in my favorite city in TN for my first full.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [bmccoolF8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmccoolF8 wrote:
Any idea on what they will cap the race at, entrants that is? This will be my first full. I am a Nooga lover, regular on the Rock Creek trail series there, and would like nothing better to cross the finish line in my favorite city in TN for my first full.

If you consider the history of IM Louisville, I think there is enough evidence out there to conclude that WTC will sell approx. 3,000 slots with the assumption that somewhere around 2,500 will actually show up and race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the last year on the WTC Louisville contract?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
What's the last year on the WTC Louisville contract?

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [caffeinatedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caffeinatedtri wrote:
Never been there.. what will the cross street/ intersections of transition and start / finish be? Just so I can get an idea of where to lodge based on looking at a GOOGLE maps..

THanks

My guess is near the intersections of Chestnut Street and Riverfront Parkway. The transition area for the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon is just west of the Tennessee Aquarium in the open area. They may use the same transition area, if not it can't be that far way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbholcom wrote:
caffeinatedtri wrote:

THanks

My guess is near the intersections of Chestnut Street and Riverfront Parkway. The transition area for the Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon is just west of the Tennessee Aquarium in the open area. They may use the same transition area, if not it can't be that far way.

Close... from what I've read, transition will be the parking lot just to the west of the grass square you're referencing. Expo Tents, etc will be in the grass square.
Last edited by: trigeekrusk: Aug 21, 13 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to ride the bike course, preferably before registration opens! Please let me know if there is a regular group ride in the general area.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be a lot of group rides. One of them this Saturday. I suggest you find and "like" the Ironman Chattanooga Facebook page. That's where a lot of the info will be posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont remember if I posted this or not, but here is the tentative run map. I know a couple of these side streets will probably change but a lot of you are asking for a route before Sept 4 when registration opens. This will be close! We will post any changes on the IRONMAN Chattanooga Facebook page as they happen.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/273602111

Brian Myrick-RD
Quote Reply

Prev Next