Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well if they are in the same location it is a moot point, but the start (as demonstrated by WTC years of sticking with 3000 person mass start) is where the excitement is. Swim finish/ T1 is a milestone in the race, but the start is the start of a 140.6 mile journey. In our society, we tend to put more emphasis on the start and finish than on the intermediate milestones.

Even though they are a few miles apart at Chattanooga, family could possibly be able to see both and some of the swim depending on how fast the athlete swims, how fast the family walks and how many people get the same idea on the riverwalk. No way in Lake Lure/Asheville.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [JimSanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimSanders wrote:
Well if they are in the same location it is a moot point, but the start (as demonstrated by WTC years of sticking with 3000 person mass start) is where the excitement is. Swim finish/ T1 is a milestone in the race, but the start is the start of a 140.6 mile journey. In our society, we tend to put more emphasis on the start and finish than on the intermediate milestones.

Even though they are a few miles apart at Chattanooga, family could possibly be able to see both and some of the swim depending on how fast the athlete swims, how fast the family walks and how many people get the same idea on the riverwalk. No way in Lake Lure/Asheville.

You might have a point if this was a mass start but we all know it won't be. It will be a TT start like Louisville (and the one and only IMNYC).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our society still puts more emphasis on the start than the intermediate milestones. Everybody cheers at the first kick in a football game, we have ceremonial first pitches in baseball, we cheer when they drop the start flag at a car race. There is no giant round of applause at the end of the 1st quarter, there are no ceremonial pitches after the 4th inning in baseball, and no one cheers just because the Indy 500 reaches 100 miles.

I agree a time trial start or a wave start is not as exciting as 3000 people going off together, but for family who have watched and put up with the athlete training and prepping for months, the start is the most important part, until they finish the race.

"Some folks plan for the optimum race, others like to get upset when others out plan them. "
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trigeekrusk [ In reply to ]
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt my wife would want to deal with getting the kids ready for this when I am stressed out or trying to relax and get ready for the next day. I think the local attractions would be easier and more stress free. Sitting in an IMAX theater is probably easier for her than helping prep another race. She already has to deal with 1 big kid getting ready to race, doesn't need small ones too.

Others will probably disagree though.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just called the Chattanoogan and was told they had just received word from the Visitor's Bureau that they've closed off that weekend but when we register we'll get a 'code' to be able to book the hotel. Not quite sure I understand, nor did the girl I spoke with.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a 5K for the spouses and maybe a kids run or something like that on Saturday? My wife would love to be able to come to one of these and be able to participate in something like that. However, getting volunteers or city cooperation may be another story given their commitment over the next couple of days. Maybe a 5K totally on the riverwalk to keep from having to have a lot of volunteers or streets closed?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
I just called the Chattanoogan and was told they had just received word from the Visitor's Bureau that they've closed off that weekend but when we register we'll get a 'code' to be able to book the hotel. Not quite sure I understand, nor did the girl I spoke with.

Wonder if that will retroact back to all of us who already booked that weekend? I can see getting an email soon saying that all reservations previously made have been cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say now is the time to look at VRBO.com and see if anything is available too. The private parties renting these will probably be slower to the party to figure out what is going on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect this to be a great start. We will bus spectators to the start as well and I suspect a lot of folks will walk/ride up the Riverwalk as well. Spectators will then have the opportunity to walk the entire length of the swim right along side their athletes to Ross's Landing where they come out of the water. Our transition will be in the parking lot across Riverfront Parkway. Bike out and run out will both be on the west end of transition and athletes will head West on Riverfront.

The IRONMAN Village/Expo and Registration will all be on the grassy field to the east of transition. The finish line will be a few blocks away at the north end of Broad in front of the Aquarium.

Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JimSanders wrote:
I would say now is the time to look at VRBO.com and see if anything is available too. The private parties renting these will probably be slower to the party to figure out what is going on.

I am an avid VRBO customer. However, I would not book a VRBO rental 14 months ahead.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurathonrd wrote:

The IRONMAN Village/Expo and Registration will all be on the grassy field to the east of transition. The finish line will be a few blocks away at the north end of Broad in front of the Aquarium.

Brian

To further clarify: GRASSY FIELD is where the Waterfront Triathlon's transition is usually setup. FEW BLOCKS AWAY (FINISH LINE) is actually viewable (practically) from the EXPO/Registration area aka GRASSY FIELD. It's very close to walk to. With all this in close proximity, it'll be a real simple area to wander between.
Last edited by: trigeekrusk: Aug 17, 13 3:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meaning they blocked off the weekend so they can fleece us. Apparently they caught on a little too quickly for me to get in on the regular rates. Fri-Sat wasn't available online when I checked around 4pm. I'm willing to bet the price at least doubles with the "code" vs what those lucky enough to get in early today are paying.

pacco wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
What do you mean? You were wanting an ocean swim? Or you just wanted closer to the area? Chat is only a 10hr drive. Granted, Myrtle and Ashville are closer but anything within ~10hrs is good enough for me if I'll be making it a 4-6 day trip.

Atheose wrote:
Is anyone else disappointed? As someone who lives in Hampton Roads, VA I was hoping for something closer to the Atlantic, since there's such a huge gap on the East Coast.

So will I

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't have to stay downtown, there are quite a few hotel opportunities near Hamilton Place mall on I-75 (at Shallowford Rd), about a 20 min or less drive from the transition. These will not have jacked up prices.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:
If you don't have to stay downtown, there are quite a few hotel opportunities near Hamilton Place mall on I-75 (at Shallowford Rd), about a 20 min or less drive from the transition. These will not have jacked up prices.

Yeah, lots of restaurants as well. There is a Y off this exit as well but the pool water temp is HOT!!! I thought I had dived into a large hot tub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:

They did the same thing with Ironman Boulder. Gave you a code to book the hotels in advance, and you couldn't book them through the hotel websites.
Last edited by: jrd5497: Aug 19, 13 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think this course could be the new place for the PR? Down current swim, flat bike, flat run, and moderate temps with a full summer to train? The only thing to slow this race down will be that all the pros and top agers will likely skip it to race Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Does anyone else think this course could be the new place for the PR? Down current swim, flat bike, flat run, and moderate temps with a full summer to train? The only thing to slow this race down will be that all the pros and top agers will likely skip it to race Kona.

And people wonder why this was the choice instead of Asheville or some other place...........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how the swim start order is determined? I assume you just line up, but thought I'd ask for clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

And people wonder why this was the choice instead of Asheville or some other place...........

I guess the only question is: How fast will it sell out?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:

Me thinks they quickly realized how shallow their consumer base is. How can one even compare times on different IM courses? Way too many variables.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope...there are other questions...like, will anyone sign up for Louisville?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If WTC turned Louisville into a 70.3 it would be the perfect warm-up race for IMCHOO.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifan wrote:
If WTC turned Louisville into a 70.3 it would be the perfect warm-up race for IMCHOO.

That would also be good for the people in the South if they go to the points system. Having done the full at Louisville twice, I would do a 70.3 there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next