Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
JBrashear wrote:
It will be interesting to see what this does to Louisville registration, considering they're a week apart & (relatively) in the same part of the country. I can't imagine it will help Louisville's sales.

They are a month apart not a week apart.

Interestingly, the date selected (September 28, 2014) will be the same as that for the IM August 70.3 unless they move the Augusta race from the last weekend in September. I am curious to see if there will be an effect on that race since they are only about 3 hours apart, closer than Chattanooga is to Louisville.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And I love Chattanooga! But that bike course is really disappointing

How do you know what the bike course is? I checked the website and don't see any course maps.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the first post on page 5 of this thread. Brian (the IM Raleigh 70.3 RD) posted a map that is pretty close to what the IM Chat bike course will be.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
trigeekrusk wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
dkidwell wrote:
This is exciting news. I would rather have seen it go to Asheville, but it sounds like Chattanooga will be a great venue. I'm just glad they didn't go with another flat, boring coastal race.

Ya, they'll prob have the bike course go up and down Lookout, Signal, and Raccoon Mountains plus some super steep hills in Chattanooga, so it definitely will NOT be flat. They could easily have 5000 to 10,000 ft in elevation change if they wanted to.

not true. Take a look at this: "The bike course takes riders 11 miles south of town before beginning two 45-mile loops in north Georgia. Athletes can expect incredible views as they parallel Lookout Mountain on this rolling course with great road surfaces. As athletes near the end of the loop, they will get the opportunity to ride through historic Chickamauga. The 112-mile course has approximately 2,100 feet of climbing."

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz2c33xirzA

If WTC lists it at officially 2100 feet it likely has 6000-10000 feet of climbing.

Maurice

Some people here think rollers don't count as elevation gain because you should be able to keep momentum up and over them. WTF-ever. I'm tall, lanky, not a great climber and I'll take sustained climbs over rollers every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I'm sure there will be an Atlanta contingency that is up there tomorrow and every weekend from now until next year. Don't forget your rock climbing shoes! Some of the best rock in the country.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
devashish wrote:

A KPR system for age groupers would suck for most because it would reward those who allocate their money and vacation time to a large number of WTC races per year (I'm not saying you have to be rich to race WTC event, you can get by driving old shitty cars and spending car payments on racing....). Or reward those in geographies where they can quicly drive to many and not have to fly...I can drive to 5 WTC races in 3 hours radius (Tremblant 140.6 and 70.3, IMLP, Muskoka 70.3, Syracuse), and 2 more if I extend out to 7 hours (Timberman, Pocono).

I am not advocating for an age group KPR system, but I think it makes good sense for WTC, not for us. Further, I would bet in the 50+ age groupers it would not seriously alter the types of people who already go. I am in the M55-59 but know a good number of guys who no longer work and have the resources to race multiple halves and fulls. Those guys have the time to train hard, get more rest and race for slots all over the world. The only change in the upper age groups might be to reward consistent FOP performances rather than one top performance.

I'm in the boat of the guys who can not only race many times per year due to driving distance to WTC races, but can also fly to many because that's what I choose to spend my cash on. And it is kind of stupid, because earlier this week for the first time ever I checked the WTC standings (I was actually going there to look at the pro KPR standings and our of curiousity started browsing age grouper) and I was 11th worldwide in 45-49....WTF....I'm a 10:47 tourist at IMLP...but I raced Oceanside, Tremblant 70.3 St. Croix and IMLP already this year....you can quickly see how the guys with moderate results racing a lot of their races move up their "standings". Just in my home town of Ottawa alone there are over 10-15 guys in 45-49 who are faster than me on any given day. So as it stands the system is favouring those on the "Petr Vanbrousek" age grouper plan....guys who race a lot and get moderate results vs guys who race really fast but not often. To make it worse, the age group points are based on percent of winner. So I can be at 95% of the winner in 2 races yet cumulatively 45 minutes behind the 2 guys over 2 races, yet in the standings, I will be waaaaaay ahead of either guy who races half as much. How does this send the best athletes to Kona? Don't get me wrong, it is highly favourable for guys in my boat, but just because it is good for guys who race at a moderate speed a lot, does not make it right for an age group Kona qual methodology.

I much prefer the age group "one shot method". Show up to the race, and go as fast as you can. Beat your peers and you're in for the show (a true competition), or finish high enough and hope someone declines and you get in on the rolldown.

If they are going to have a KPR method for age groupers, the points should not be based on a percent of winner, but rather allocate points by your age group placement per race, and perhaps give double points for an Ironman vs half IM. At least that is a better method than straight time percentage.

Sorry for the hijack on the Chatanooga thread. Good to see it will have 50 slots per the "current qual system".

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not know on sell out but word of advice. Last I knew IM has 5 night min stays when coming into town and the hotels take that oppertunity to raise prices. Simple business. Well when we signed up for CDA first year I immediatly reserved a room before the hotels raised prices. Being the first year they were not prepared on their pricing so we got rooms very cheap. 2nd year of CDA we were not so lucky. If you sign up, right after reserve and just do not mention why coming to town.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It looks like it is pretty flat, which is a little disappointing, but looking at Google Streetview the roads look like they're in great condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else disappointed? As someone who lives in Hampton Roads, VA I was hoping for something closer to the Atlantic, since there's such a huge gap on the East Coast.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Atheose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The roads are in great shape! Should be fun!

Brian Myrick
RD IRONMAN Chattanooga
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean? You were wanting an ocean swim? Or you just wanted closer to the area? Chat is only a 10hr drive. Granted, Myrtle and Ashville are closer but anything within ~10hrs is good enough for me if I'll be making it a 4-6 day trip.

Atheose wrote:
Is anyone else disappointed? As someone who lives in Hampton Roads, VA I was hoping for something closer to the Atlantic, since there's such a huge gap on the East Coast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Atheose wrote:

I am, specifically if the bike course is "flatter" as some have mentioned. At least Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head you know the bike course is flat, but you get to go to the beach after. Now I have never been to Chatt....but it is Chatt. I would be just as disappointed if they chose Asheville and had a flat bike course (though the logistics got them I think).

For a WTC'er, I guess if I was going to drive 5+ hours from Charlotte to Chatt, I would probably drive 7+ and go do Lou, which I know is a solid course and just an all around great race. Plus, 2-4 less weeks of training in the summer heat here would be nice.

Congrats to Chatt though. Great grab for them, but I just can't get excited.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Do not know on sell out but word of advice. Last I knew IM has 5 night min stays when coming into town and the hotels take that oppertunity to raise prices. Simple business. Well when we signed up for CDA first year I immediatly reserved a room before the hotels raised prices. Being the first year they were not prepared on their pricing so we got rooms very cheap. 2nd year of CDA we were not so lucky. If you sign up, right after reserve and just do not mention why coming to town.

The room rates in Chattanooga are already pretty steep in my opinion. When we go up and do the Waterfront Tri, we spend a lot more than we prefer. You can find something further out pretty cheaply though.
The plus is that hopefully they won't be doing the minimum nights stay like many of the venues have gone to. CDA cleaned my clock a few years ago. Placid does the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you, Dev.

While I have the financial resources to qualify via this method, I do not have the time. My kids are young, my wife is young ;), I work...my time is limited. I can think of a ton of other things that I'd rather go do and see than travel around the country to race and chase points.

I like the idea of showing up and knowing that I have a chance to race and win a KQ slot. Sure, I may not get it, but at least I have the chance to do so then and there...Getting beat out by someone that possibly raced 1 or 2 hours slower than me b/c they were able to feed more $$ to WTC does not sit well with me. I'd love to get to Kona, but I won't chase points throughout the year...I'm not a pro. I do this for fun and that makes it sound more like a job...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 in hoping for an Asheville race.

Nothing against Chattanooga (great area, great city), but a downstream-only swim and a bike course which kind of skirts/avoids what is so great about the area makes this race feel watered down and wussified vs. what it could be. I would rather have a hilly course which captures what the area is really like and slower times than a drag race flat course.

Of course there were no guarantees the Asheville venue would have been much different.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
//Well now Setup would really have to pick up Asheville and run an IM distance there, and all that before Sept 4, otherwise I can see this one as my first WTC IM.

I don't like the course, but the proximity makes it a no-brainer.

Setup, PLEASE pick up Asheville, you'll have at least one man there! Make it the Embrunman of the East coast! //

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:

That's really good advice Kenney, thank you. I just got a room for 4 nights at the Chattanoogan, which I assume is going to be the sponsor hotel for the race. It was the only hotel in the area I called that would book this early, and the lady told me she had been taking calls for those dates all morning.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tdschnei wrote:
Kenney wrote:

That's really good advice Kenney, thank you. I just got a room for 4 nights at the Chattanoogan, which I assume is going to be the sponsor hotel for the race. It was the only hotel in the area I called that would book this early, and the lady told me she had been taking calls for those dates all morning.

What kind of rate?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe not IF it was WTC run. But if Setup picks it up, and with the recently acquired Savageman, that would give them a nice 1-2 punch in their catalog. Even better make it a serie!

That's my fantasy though, I have no idea if this would be financially viable. Probably not. But there's got to be some kind of market in the US since there is no more St George or Silverman.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted a closer race. Asheville is only 6.5 hours away, where as Chattanooga is 9.5. Currently anyone on the east coast has to make an enormous commute to any of the races, and having the race at Chattanooga seems like such a waste when Louisville is so close.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir.Vaylo wrote:
tdschnei wrote:
Kenney wrote:

What kind of rate?

$118 for Thursday and Sunday, $125 for Friday and Saturday. Then I prepaid for breakfast buffet ($10/person) on Firday and Saturday.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up saving money you can buy me a coffee. I have swore off WTC events years ago but will be breaking my pledge. I have a very good friend who has just moved there and my wife and I will make this the goal race to go visit and stay with. I have done 6IM and this will probably be my last. ...See you there. I am mop and will be 54 so you have nothing to worry about :o) though I have swam 60 flat before looks like I will break that..................................Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah CDA got ridiculous. I live in Montana and it was cheaper to plan in advance and go do Vineman than to drive across the state and do CDA... Personally I hate WTC, and the size but because of good friend i am breaking my vow. All i have to pay is the plane ticket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome advice Kenney! I got three nights with a king for 122 a night. Thanks. I live in ATL and to think I can drive 1.5 hours and be up there is awesome. Cant wait to sign up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [iurnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see my post above......you second to owe me coffee, this time before a practice swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the room....went online and got the same deal. 3 nights at $122/night!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Chattanooga- It is Official [Fruitcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here....3 nights/$122 night plus breakfast.
Quote Reply

Prev Next