Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [joaco21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Please let me know if anybody is interested in getting a copy of the original file, and I will send it via email.

Joaquin:

I'm interested. I'll PM you with my e-mail. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would any of you that got the Power file from Joaquin care to post your assessment of it? Joaquin has yet to forward the data to me so I can't post the graphs for everyone to see. The fact that everyone is so silent, I suppose, means the files support what he said? Probably the reason this thread came to a sudden stop.

And, how does one calculate elevation gain from a power file?

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The fact that everyone is so silent, I suppose, means the files support what he said? Probably the reason this thread came to a sudden stop"

Could be. Or maybe people haven't gotten the file? Or maybe the others realize you won't listen to them anyway?

"
And, how does one calculate elevation gain from a power file"

An altimeter?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"And, how does one calculate elevation gain from a power file"

An altimeter?
Do Power Tap files have altimeter information?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea, that's why I was asking.

If someone had a GPS and their power file, they could get the elevation from the GPS. Not sure how to get those two to overlap in one graph though.

That's one of the cool things about the Quark system, it has GPS and altitude. Not that I can afford it...

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No idea, that's why I was asking.

If someone had a GPS and their power file, they could get the elevation from the GPS. Not sure how to get those two to overlap in one graph though.

That's one of the cool things about the Quark system, it has GPS and altitude. Not that I can afford it...
It was Rcheung who posted if you had the power file one could calculate the altitude data. Love to hear how.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Would any of you that got the Power file from Joaquin care to post your assessment of it? Joaquin has yet to forward the data to me so I can't post the graphs for everyone to see. The fact that everyone is so silent, I suppose, means the files support what he said? Probably the reason this thread came to a sudden stop.

No, your supposition is incorrect--at least, as it applies to me. I've been silent because I haven't yet received the file (and, in general, it's good form not to announce your assessment of a file before you've seen it). However, I seem to recall that Joaquin travels quite a bit so perhaps he's on the road and simply hasn't had the opportunity to send it. I'm sure that once he gets a few minutes he'll send it on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

And, how does one calculate elevation gain from a power file?

Ummm...my guess for why it's come to a sudden stop is that no power file has been produced. I sent Joaquin a request both by PM and email and haven't heard a peep. I also know that as of this morning, Mr. Chung hasn't gotten one either. Obviously, the file exists since he posted a plot from downloading it. Now, I understand that Joaquin travels on business at times, so we should probably cut him just a little slack...

As for you second question, that's easy. Mr. Chung figured that out years ago:

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/...meter/altimeter.html

It's also the basis (i.e. "virtual elevation") for his clever method of field testing CdA:

http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/...cda/indirect-cda.pdf

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was [RChung] who posted if you had the power file one could calculate the altitude data. Love to hear how.

How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

No, your supposition is incorrect--at least, as it applies to me. I've been silent because I haven't yet received the file (and, in general, it's good form not to announce your assessment of a file before you've seen it). However, I seem to recall that Joaquin travels quite a bit so perhaps he's on the road and simply hasn't had the opportunity to send it. I'm sure that once he gets a few minutes he'll send it on.
I agree it is poor form. I suspect your assessment is correct as he is usually pretty good about sending things when he can.

Can you comment on how one calculates altitude from a power file?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
It was [RChung] who posted if you had the power file one could calculate the altitude data. Love to hear how.

Interesting. I see you make certain assumptions which might make the absolute number off a bit if the assumptions are wrong but the fact you think you can predict profile by looking at the power is interesting. It would be interesting to see how close you come to the La Mocuera profile from the power file once you get it.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Oct 29, 07 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Interesting. I see you make certain assumptions which might make the absolute number off a bit if the assumptions are wrong but the fact you think you can predict profile by looking at the power is interesting. It would be interesting to see how close you come to the La Mocuera profile from the power file once you get it.

Yep...it'll be interesting how close it comes to this:

BTW, using the masses that Joaquin supplied, if his time is taken from the start of the 2nd km, I calculate that he actually was putting out somewhere in the range of 310-320W for the ~7% average grade.

I still would like to know if he's ever tested the static torque values from his PT hub...

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note, I wish I had something like that to climb around Chicago. I can't fully get a grip on how rough a climb like that might be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On a side note, I wish I had something like that to climb around Chicago. I can't fully get a grip on how rough a climb like that might be.

It's just like spending 30 minutes groveling into a stiff headwind :-)

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why he posted the MMPS for the power profile.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap, I do that daily on my commute home on the lake. It's not fun.

Either way, anyone received the power file yet? I'm curious on what the smarter-than-I guys have to say about it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Crap, I do that daily on my commute home on the lake. It's not fun.

Either way, anyone received the power file yet? I'm curious on what the smarter-than-I guys have to say about it.

I received a PM from Joaquin this morning stating that he was in Athens on business and would return to Madrid this afternoon. He would send the file when he returned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

It's just like spending 30 minutes groveling into a stiff headwind :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm curious on what the smarter-than-I guys have to say about it.

Me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Me too.

Umm...Robert...I'd wager there ain't too many of them 'round...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Me too.

Umm...Robert...I'd wager there ain't too many of them 'round...
Just Frank. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did ya get the file?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did ya get the file?

Not yet...In the words of Yoda: "You must have patience." :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't it, "patience, you must have"?

Regardless, I am sorely lacking.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
been riding with SRM's for over 2years now and on my local 16km TT course which i ride proberly 2+ times a week ive never managed the same time, for the same power, sometimes over 30secs different. You CAN NOT measure fitness improvments on the open road by compairing times set over a course with what power you did them at.

as an example ive done 19.25min over the course at 455watts and then a few weeks later 20.15 at 460watts, only difference was weather and traffic
Explain to me how fatigue has a measurable impact on power:speed? Power is power. That's why we train with it. And we are talking about a hillclimb, which is MUCH less variable than a road TT. Road TT's wind and traffic make a huge difference.

Using times to track fitness improvement is clearly inferior to wattage, but using times/wattages DOES indeed provide a "sanity check," which in this case does not add up.
Just a comment on the power vs speed thing. In my field aero testing I initially was riding on a longer section of road that has some car traffic. I was riding exactly 20mph and was getting variability of about +/-5W or so on a measured ~175W, or close to +/-3% total value. When I switched to a different road with no car traffic that was much more sheltered from the wind, I ended up with variability around +/-1 to 1.5W. Riding out on an open road with cars is going to have a pretty substantial variability to it.

Either way, using time/watts does provide a sanity check, but it isn't accurate enough to judge whether someone's PT is out of calibration. Another SIGNIFICANT assumption is that the power is doled out in a similar manner. Here's a quick experiment you can do with analytic cycling to show why this is important:

10% grade at 350W = 4.4m/s
10% grade at 300W = 3.81m/s
5% grade at 350W = 7.31m/s
5% grade at 300W = 6.5m/s

If you ride 1km at 10% and 1km at 5% grades, choose to ride one at 350W and the other at 300W...you get a combined climb of:
10% at 350W = 227.3s, 5% at 300W = 153.8s, total time 381.1sec, avg power 329.8W
10% at 300W = 262.5s, 5% at 350W = 136.8s, total time 399.3sec, avg power 317.1W
Why is this important you might ask? Because the time/power ratio is different! In the first case it is 1.155s/avgW, in the second case it is 1.26s/avgW. Based on Joaquin's posted pic he has enough variability that it could matter. Not by the 10% in the above simple case, but certainly 30 secs to a minute difference.

On a side note....holy @#%!#$%@#$ hell bikedoc! 460W for 20 minutes! Ouch! That puts my measly 330W to serious shame. I hope you weigh 250lb or I'm going to be really jealous! Smile

Mad
Quote Reply

Prev Next