Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [bikedoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so if i got a set and went 30sec's faster would it just be down to the cranks"

Their guarantee isn't to make you 30 sec faster, you just came up with that. Now, if you kept EVERYTHING consistent other than PC's, trained on them for 9 months, then raised your cycling power 40% then I would say they worked for you.

"
or could it be that maybe a did a bit more training, changed my position a bit, did less training so was better rested, faster day, better diet, the list goes on"

That's the crux of it, now isn't it? So if I were to offer you coaching services and a "magical pill", where my pill gives you a 40% increase in power, but you have to increase your training load by 100%, would that mean my "pill" was working? Of course not. So if you train more, change your position, were more rested, had a better diet, etc, you can't attribute the increased speed to PC's.

"
Impossible to pin down just the one thing that made the difference, BUT if you think that PCs are the reason then they are, simple"

So now if we think something, it's true? That's good to know....hmmm....I "think" I have $1m in my checking account....let's see what Chase has to say about that.

"
If you ride your bike more because youve spent the money on them and what to make sure you get your moneys worth and you go faster then its still the cranks that have done it because they gave you the reason to train"

I'm fine with that excuse. I spend money on stuff all the time for the placebo effect. But, if that's the case let's be honest and say that PC's make you faster because you train more, not because they work.

"
Just like all the aero kit you buy"

I don't have an aero kit.

"
how much of it is the fact its areo and how much it is your head telling you that you will be quicker now."

Don't know, I don't have one. But I think questions are supposed to end with a question mark.

"
Amazing how putting a new set of wheels or a new pair of bars on your bike enables you to put out a few more watts the first time out with them"

If I spend $1k I want put out 40% more watts ALL the time after the training period, not just the FIRST TIME OUT WITH THEM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
. You are assuming they got there is a specific way. You know what happens when you ASSUME something!

There's a clear difference between making an assumption and drawing a conclusion. You've made it abundantly clear that you are incapable of or unwilling to understand the difference.

"There are so many glaring inconsistencies in this file it actually suggests something other than deliberate manipulation to me, as it is so "inexpertly" done."
Classic. 'It was so poorly manipulated, that I couldn't have been deliberately manipulated.' Lucky that you're a doctor and not a lawyer. I don't think that works very well as a defense strategy--nor does 'send me a file and I'll show you how well I can manipulate it'.
Last edited by: roady: Nov 24, 07 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"how many people have to gain 40% for the quote to be true??"

Let's look at the claim: first, Frank says "
most increase cycling speed 2-3 mph (that is about 40% in increased cycling power)", so if we need a number, that would be "most". Second, it's not a number of people we are looking for to make the claim true. We are looking for the evidence behind the claim (that isn't corrupt/manipulated) that proves PC's do what Frank says. So far, he's had a tough time producing that information.

"
zipp say 30sec in a 40kn TT for thier wheel, ive tryed it and so have many others and has anyone gone 30sec faster??"

I don't know, you tell me. 30 seconds faster that what? A set of box-shaped rims? On foot? I need more information on their claim. Although, I've never bought a pair of Zipps and probably never will. This whole thing bugs me because I almost bought a pair of PC's on Frank's claim.

And for God's sake man, check your spelling/grammar. Mine surely isn't perfect, but wow....

"
for me to go 30sec's faster would be a hugh increase in power proberly not short of the 40%gain PC claim"

Then get PC's and take those 30 sec off your time, we'll call it a day.
Here is the way to look at it. What we say is most of our users are seeing about 2-3 mph speed increases. Now the slower you are the "easier" it is to improve, the better you are the harder, I think everyone would agree with this. So, our slower people frequently are on the 3-4 mph improvement range of that scale, while our elites are rarely above 2 mph. What does that mean power wise?

Power at the various speed below according to analyticcycling.com

speed, power
12, 39.4
14, 56
16, 77.1
18, 103.6
20, 135.8
22, 174.5
24, 220.9
26, 274.6
28, 337.6
30, 408.2
32, 491.2
34, 582.9
36, 685.7
38, 800.2

Increasing speed from 12 to 16 mph requires a power increase from 39 to 77, a 96% increase, almost a doubling, well over our 40% "claim". Of course, this is pretty easy to do even without powercranks if one puts enough time in the saddle.
Increasing speed from 20 to 23 mph requires a power increase from 136 to 197, a 45% increase, still over our 40% claim and not quite so easy to do.
Increasing speed from 36 to 38 mph requires a power increase from 686 to 800, a huge absolute increase but only a 17% increase and very difficult to do. The size of the percentage increase in power does not represent how hard it is to obtain. The percentage increase claim only applies, on average, for the vast majority of the non-pros riding and racing who get our product, those currently with an FTP between 150 and 220. If you are currently below or above that range what you can expect can be more or less than that percentage change. If you want to misconstrue the claim to mean we think we can give the best pros a 40% increase in power on average you misrepresent what we say.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [bikedoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]ok, just a thought.
you say that there isnt any evidence to prove that they work so to you that means they dont. i cant think of any single thing that is proved to make you faster can you, does that mean nothing is gonna help you?
at the opposite end of it can you think of anything that proves they dont work?
impossible to put improvment or lack of it down to one thing. Training with PCs is just as likley to make you 2 or 20mph quicker than training with anything else[/reply]

It depends on what you expect them to do. They are ideal, the best equipment ever invented for teaching the circular pedaling style but that is all they are capable of doing for cycling. After a year on PC's when a rider returns to normal cranks, how will his circular pedaling differ from a natural circular pedaler, where in the pedaling circle will the PC'er be able to inject more pedal power. Maybe if Frank could compare these two types of rider on independent crank torque measuring equipment, he would soon get an answer. But if this same PC user set about perfecting the mashing technique, he would find that he would be able to apply even more power with the mashing style than with the circular way of doing it. I can think of one single thing that is likely to make you faster, it is the ability to apply max power through 12 o'c as nobody else can do it. The proof lies in the fact that Anquetil is still recognised as the world's greatest ever TT rider, he used that technique, the evidence can be found in his pedaling footage on video.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you want to misconstrue the claim to mean we think we can give the best pros a 40% increase in power on average you misrepresent what we say"

Whoa, where did I say that the best pros would gain 40%? I made a joke about a team winning the TdF, but I'm pretty sure I put a little winky-guy following saying that. I quoted
"most increase cycling speed 2-3 mph (that is about 40% in increased cycling power)" directly from your site.

Please point me to the post that I said "PC's would give the best pros a 40% increase in power on average." If I said that, my apologies. If I did not, I will remind you, for I think the 5th time in this thread, to stop putting words in my mouth.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"If you want to misconstrue the claim to mean we think we can give the best pros a 40% increase in power on average you misrepresent what we say"

Whoa, where did I say that the best pros would gain 40%? I made a joke about a team winning the TdF, but I'm pretty sure I put a little winky-guy following saying that. I quoted
"most increase cycling speed 2-3 mph (that is about 40% in increased cycling power)" directly from your site.

Please point me to the post that I said "PC's would give the best pros a 40% increase in power on average." If I said that, my apologies. If I did not, I will remind you, for I think the 5th time in this thread, to stop putting words in my mouth.
No, I wasn't referring to you specifically. However, there are many here who have made that leap. I bunched them into my reply to you. They read what they want to read so they can try to dismiss what we really do say. Hey, it is the internet.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Tell you what, you send me a PT file of yours for about a 30 minute climb (or any ride). I suspect in less than 30 minutes I can alter it to show any specific power you would like (something feasible and reasonably close to the original file, not a 1000 watt average) in a manner that would be undetectable to any of the experts here. I suspect than any of you who sat down and thought about this would do it similarly to me. There are so many glaring inconsistencies in this file it actually suggests something other than deliberate manipulation to me, as it is so "inexpertly" done.
I thought this issue was already discussed and the conclusion was that it was very difficult to alter a file so that power, speed, distance, etc all were consistent, and that there would very likely be tell-tale signs that the file was manipulated.
That is what someone said. Let's see how right they are.

Hmmm. Well, first, let's all agree that whether you could or couldn't do such a thing is not dispositive about this particular case. Second, as I've said, I didn't show all of the things I looked at or analyses I did. Just 'cuz you can't think of a way to detect alterations or manipulations doesn't mean no one can.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Tell you what, you send me a PT file of yours for about a 30 minute climb (or any ride). I suspect in less than 30 minutes I can alter it to show any specific power you would like (something feasible and reasonably close to the original file, not a 1000 watt average) in a manner that would be undetectable to any of the experts here. I suspect than any of you who sat down and thought about this would do it similarly to me. There are so many glaring inconsistencies in this file it actually suggests something other than deliberate manipulation to me, as it is so "inexpertly" done.
I thought this issue was already discussed and the conclusion was that it was very difficult to alter a file so that power, speed, distance, etc all were consistent, and that there would very likely be tell-tale signs that the file was manipulated.
That is what someone said. Let's see how right they are.

Hmmm. Well, first, let's all agree that whether you could or couldn't do such a thing is not dispositive about this particular case. Second, as I've said, I didn't show all of the things I looked at or analyses I did. Just 'cuz you can't think of a way to detect alterations or manipulations doesn't mean no one can.
Here is my thought. Someone send me a PT file of a climb (it could be done on anything but if it is on the flat it is harder to do do and make it undetectable if there is substantial variation and we are dealing with a climb in this particular instance). I will then make 9 variations of the file showing 9 different average powers varying as much as 20% and see if the experts can detect which one is the original out of the 10. If randomized properly I say they will get it right about 10% of the time. If they get it right substantially more than that then they know a lot more of the nuances of this stuff than I do (they probably do anyhow, but I don't see how what I would do to "manipulate the file" could be detected)

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here is my thought. Someone send me a PT file of a climb (it could be done on anything but if it is on the flat it is harder to do do and make it undetectable if there is substantial variation and we are dealing with a climb in this particular instance). I will then make 9 variations of the file showing 9 different average powers varying as much as 20% and see if the experts can detect which one is the original out of the 10. If randomized properly I say they will get it right about 10% of the time. If they get it right substantially more than that then they know a lot more of the nuances of this stuff than I do (they probably do anyhow, but I don't see how what I would do to "manipulate the file" could be detected)

What will happen when you are shown to be wrong? (And I am confident that you won't be able to pull it off.) Will you finally admit that your "Joaquin's data is all horked up, but the averages are reasonable and can be plausible" theory is pure fantasy? Or, will you minimize it all saying something like "Ugh, how I did it isn't anything close to what's in the Joaquin file, so it doesn't show anything"??

I have a feeling I know how this will all end up...

BTW, if someone takes you up on it, the ground rules of this "challenge" need to be the same as "The Morcuera Incident", i.e. known length of climb and elevation profile, known rider + bike weight, etc.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No no, it has to be called "La Morcuera Incidente" :-)

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I've already said, it makes no difference in the case of this file--all it will show is that Frank is better at, um, doctoring files than Joaquin.

That said, I'm game. I can provide a file to Frank of a ride up Casitas Pass (sign to the water tower) if you have the profile available (I don't).

edit: um--and no, it's not 30 minutes.....
Last edited by: roady: Nov 24, 07 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As I've already said, it makes no difference in the case of this file--all it will show is that Frank is better at, um, doctoring files than Joaquin.

That said, I'm game. I can provide a file to Frank of a ride up Casitas Pass (sign to the water tower) if you have the profile available (I don't).

Hey...I just did that climb today! And I've got 2 power files I could contribute...one from the PT and one from the Ergomo :-)

But if I contributed a file, that would prevent me from the pleasure of showing Frank to be wrong...again.

Someone needs to toss him a file from climbing up Gibraltar Rd. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
No no, it has to be called "La Morcuera Incidente" :-)

Excelente! Muy bueno.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 24, 07 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Well, this is an interesting challenge and from a purely egotistical point of view I'm very tempted -- but, really, what would we learn? You could, after all, be quite clever and deceitful, or you could just be bad at fakery. In either event, it tells us nothing about the current case. More importantly, I might have to reveal some of the other analytical approaches I've used and I'm not too keen on doing that at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

What will happen when you are shown to be wrong? (And I am confident that you won't be able to pull it off.) Will you finally admit that your "Joaquin's data is all horked up, but the averages are reasonable and can be plausible" theory is pure fantasy? Or, will you minimize it all saying something like "Ugh, how I did it isn't anything close to what's in the Joaquin file, so it doesn't show anything"??

BTW, if someone takes you up on it, the ground rules of this "challenge" need to be the same as "The Morcuera Incident", i.e. known length of climb and elevation profile, known rider + bike weight, etc.
Well, how I would do it is not anything close to the Joaquin file. And it would be exceedingly easy. One would simply have to ask, in this day and age, why someone would try to "physician" such a file in any other way. The test would not be proof of anything. Simply a little test of what is possible, at least by me if I ever decided to take up "professional file manipulation" and by some of those who claimed that detecting such manipulation is "easy".

Send me the file and let me see what I can do. I don't care how long it is. It is the principle. Shouldn't make much difference if it is a 5 minute climb or 2 hour climb (where would you find one of those).

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hey...I just did that climb today! And I've got 2 power files I could contribute...one from the PT and one from the Ergomo :-)

But if I contributed a file, that would prevent me from the pleasure of showing Frank to be wrong...again.

I have one from a rest day ride! I can send it to him--Frank, what's your e-mail address?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Well, how I would do it is not anything close to the Joaquin file. And it would be exceedingly easy. One would simply have to ask, in this day and age, why someone would try to "physician" such a file in any other way. The test would not be proof of anything. Simply a little test of what is possible, at least by me if I ever decided to take up "professional file manipulation" and by some of those who claimed that detecting such manipulation is "easy".

Send me the file and let me see what I can do. I don't care how long it is. It is the principle. Shouldn't make much difference if it is a 5 minute climb or 2 hour climb (where would you find one of those).

You didn't answer the question. When it is shown that what you think is an easy task is not, how will that change how you feel about "La Morcuera Incidente"?

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well, this is an interesting challenge and from a purely egotistical point of view I'm very tempted -- but, really, what would we learn? You could, after all, be quite clever and deceitful, or you could just be bad at fakery. In either event, it tells us nothing about the current case. More importantly, I might have to reveal some of the other analytical approaches I've used and I'm not too keen on doing that at the moment.

Personally, I have the same concerns as Robert. You would have to be satisfied with people identifying which files have been "physicianed" without an exact explanation of how it was determined.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I have one from a rest day ride! I can send it to him--Frank, what's your e-mail address?

We need a stop and start point. Typically the start is from the "mailboxes" (where Gibraltar Rd. crosses El Cielito.) Is the "top" at the intersection of Camino Cielo, or all the way up to La Cumbre Peak (In keeping with the spanish theme, yes...I realize that name is redundant :-)

If you do that, I'll even contribute a "map my ride" link so that more can "play along".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Personally, I have the same concerns as Robert. You would have to be satisfied with people identifying which files have been "physicianed" without an exact explanation of how it was determined.
If he (and others) could reliably identify which files are which I would accept that they understand this stuff way beyond my own abilities without an explanation as to how, even though I would like to know how. If we only have one case he would have a 10% chance of getting it right even with random guessing so if he gets it right we might want to do 2 or 3 others. Soon the odds would "prove" his assertion right.

What we would learn is that the claim that it is easy to find a manipulated file is true or not or we might find that I don't know how to manipulate a file very well. It won't say much about the current issue.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What we would learn is that the claim that it is easy to find a manipulated file is true or not or we might find that I don't know how to manipulate a file very well. It won't say much about the current issue.

Umm...so what's the point??? Sheesh...you're SOO predictable.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Umm...so what's the point??? Sheesh...you're SOO predictable.
??? I intend to manipulate the file substantially differently than was "apparently" done by Joaquin. What would my manipulation say about the current issue. People here claimed it was "easy". I just want to test that.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm....I started at the driveway and went up to 'the top'. Sorry...I'm only a local 2 weeks a year! (and I know, you'd like it to stay that way ; )....)

I could send you the file and you could probably figure it out--but at that point, I'm sure we'd just colluding to prove Frank wrong......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmmm....I started at the driveway and went up to 'the top'. Sorry...I'm only a local 2 weeks a year! (and I know, you'd like it to stay that way ; )....)

Naah...if you can afford to move here, have at it! It's a free country ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If he (and others) could reliably identify which files are which I would accept that they understand this stuff way beyond my own abilities [..] What we would learn is that the claim that it is easy to find a manipulated file is true or not or we might find that I don't know how to manipulate a file very well. It won't say much about the current issue.

Well, the claim isn't that it's easy to find a manipulated file -- sometimes it's a lot of work. The claim is that it's hard to manipulate a file so that the manipulation is not detectable. Your claim was that you could do this in less than 30 minutes.

As I said above, at the moment I'm a little reluctant to reveal all the ways to detect a file whose integrity has been breached, and since it won't say much about the current issue I don't really see the point of doing this simply to satisfy your curiosity about whether anyone understands "this stuff" way beyond your own abilities. A shorter path to answering that question is actually to ask another question: "Frank, how much riding with a Power Tap, and how much analysis of Power Tap files, have you done?"
Quote Reply

Prev Next