Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brain hurts...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know if this is correct:
From the file: distance of climb = 8.76km, Ave speed of climb = 21.089, total time of climb = 28.62 minutes.
The ave speed multiplied by time = 10.06km traveled.

this is the main problem
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toga...toga...toga...toooga! tooooooga! TOOOOOOGAAAAA!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [the metazoan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From the file: distance of climb = 8.76km, Ave speed of climb = 21.089, total time of climb = 28.62 minutes.

this is the main problem
Yes. Though it is just one of a host of very significant problems, such as the virtually metronomic heartrate, perfectly identical data blocks, and others.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just smiled. Smile I have to admit, this thread has been interesting. And when the guy never answered the question directly about the file
did not feel right.

As I said from the beginning, I love to try new stuff, even when ST says it can not help me. Folks like Chad and Dev would not have
used, or continue to use if they felt they had no positive benefits. So, only one way for me to find out if they might help ME, and that
is to make an off season commitment. I still strongly believe they have helped my run, as others have stated.

Now, I continue to ask this question. I read all the time that folks should do one legged drills on the bike. So, what is the reason for this?
I assume there is a good reason, so I just get one legged drills, 2 at a time, all the time on the PC's.

I guess not matter what happens with my run times, or race results, there is no way to "prove" if the PC's will have helped or hurt me.
But, I have to admit, they are fun to use. And, I would never use something if I felt they were hurting me or my race performance.
Less than 3 months to the Bearathon, with its killer hills. Will see what happens, assuming it is not raining.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why is it always "I, I, I, I, I" with you.

This is an entertaining post about a guy who provided a power file that has been fudged. It's not about you! It's not even really about powercranks.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now, I continue to ask this question. I read all the time that folks should do one legged drills on the bike. So, what is the reason for this?
I assume there is a good reason, so I just get one legged drills, 2 at a time, all the time on the PC's.
Sometimes in the pool, I use a pull buoy, or paddles, or a kickboard, or fins, or I do stroke drills. Does that mean I should do them all the time?

Sometimes when I run, I do high knees, or butt kickers, or pull backs, or shuttles. Does that mean I should do them all the time?

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

this is the main problem
Yes. Though it is just one of a host of very significant problems, such as the virtually metronomic heartrate, perfectly identical data blocks, and others.
Yeah, that's kinda the biggie for me. Having used a Power Tap since it was owned by Tune, I've seen some funny stuff: mid interval torque drifts, wacky interference blips, an incidence where the torque drifted up--and then back down!?! during an event. Here's what I've never seen--identical, repeating blocks of data.

Of course, there could be some special firmware update of which I (nor anyone else) is not aware--you know, the one where the Power Tap continually writes blocks of stored data when it experiences interference..... Maybe he was riding in a convergence zone? (that's unlikely, I live in one, and I've yet to experience this phenomena).

I'm waiting for Frank to put forward some alternative theories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Don't believe everything you read, maybe? I know plenty of elite cyclists, and I've never seen any of them do a one legged drill (except when they're making fun of someone doing one-legged drills, that is....)
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Don't believe everything you read, maybe? I know plenty of elite cyclists, and I've never seen any of them do a one legged drill (except when they're making fun of someone doing one-legged drills, that is....)
"Necessary? Is it *necessary* that should drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway, because it's sterile, and I like the taste." - Patches McHoulihan (Dodgeball)

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know you are really clever guys, with plenty of time, and know a lot more about computers and PT files than me. but this makes you ignorant. i will tell you what i would have done if I wanted to impress a buntch of nick names in a foreign forum thread: i would ask one of my team mates who is stronger than me to ride up La Morcuera with my PT and send you his file stating it was mine. simple, eh?
one quextion for you: is it possible to manipulate data stored in the PT CPU?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [joaco21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i know you are really clever guys, with plenty of time, and know a lot more about computers and PT files than me. but this makes you ignorant. i will tell you what i would have done if I wanted to impress a buntch of nick names in a foreign forum thread: i would ask one of my team mates who is stronger than me to ride up La Morcuera with my PT and send you his file stating it was mine. simple, eh?
Woah, there fella. From what I have read most people have gone out of their way to not say that you fudged the data, simply that it was fudged somewhere along the way. No need to get all fired up. In answer to your question, it appears that your question has been answered a number of times before you asked it.

My question for you: What are your thoughts about the data issues brought up in this thread?

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [joaco21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Hindsight's 20/20, huh? Here's a key piece of advice: When you find yourself in a hole...stop digging.

So...given all the info that has come out about your file, what legitimate alternative explanation can you provide for why the file is the way it is?

Also, you weren't just trying to impress a bunch of anonymous nicknames. There are some non-anonymous and well-known names that you were trying to impress as well.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have no idea of who you are suggesting?please speak for yourself. over here you are all absolutelly unknown for me (except Kendall)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i have no idea of who you are suggesting?please speak for yourself. over here you are all absolutelly unknown for me (except Kendall)
Perhaps you missed my post, with a question for you it's the one above Tom A's post that you just responded to.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not following the thread. i just reply the posts sent to me. i understand that some people think the file has been manipulated. i have no idea why the file looks wrong. i can only say that the file is for different rides and that the unit and hub got wet, and i have experienced many problems with my PT when it rains. i have sent three times the CPU to saris to be fixed, two times the hub (the last time a few days before the ride) and changed once the chest band. in fact kendall told me his CPU was also broken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i am not following the thread. i just reply the posts sent to me. i understand that some people think the file has been manipulated. i have no idea why the file looks wrong. i can only say that the file is for different rides and that the unit and hub got wet, and i have experienced many problems with my PT when it rains. i have sent three times the CPU to saris to be fixed, two times the hub (the last time a few days before the ride) and changed once the chest band. in fact kendall told me his CPU was also broken.
Two things:

1) So you have no comment on the very specific things mentioned? Not even something like "yes that does seem weird, perhaps this data is wrong."

2) Now, after all this info comes out we find out that you have been having issues with your PT and it was wet and the file is actually for different rides? Seems a bit odd...timing wise.

Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [the metazoan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes that would be a problem if the data were really that downloaded from the PT. Clearly, however, it's a pile of crudely fabricated data.

Geez, has no one heard of a random number generator or superimposed signal noise?

This is truly hilarious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerCranks must generate their very own Bermuda Triangle: things break, disappear, and/or or magically generate themselves ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i have no idea why the file looks wrong.
...which then begs the question, who has had access to the file prior to its circulation? One of your kids been messing with your computer, perhaps? ;-)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 21, 07 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joaquin,

Really, there are only a couple of possible explanations for the data set posted here:

1 - you manipulated/doctored the file

2 - someone else manipulated/doctored the file

3 - you have a bizarrely malfunctioning pm that produces completely unreliable data in a way that is remarkably consistant with a crude attempt at manipulating/doctoring said data, and by some incredibly strange coincidence this malfunction only seems to occur during a very select percentage of the time spent using the unit, and as a result creates data that to a very cursory examination would support - almost perfectly - claims made earlier, by you.

That's really about the limit of where this conversation can go. The data you have provided is not supportive of your/Frank's claims - again - and is highly suggestive of a crude attempt at falsification.

If you wish to restore any semblance of credibility in this matter, frankly the onus is upon you to provide an explanation that does not lead an impartial observer to the unfortunate conclusion that - lex parsimoniae - you "cooked the books."

I wish you luck in this; I would hate to think that you felt compelled to go to such lengths to "defend" yourself on an internet forum, and welcome whole-heartedly your forthcoming alternate explanation...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
i have no idea why the file looks wrong.
...which then begs the question, who has had access to the file prior to its circulation? One of your kids been messing with your computer, perhaps? ;-)

Perhaps it was these guys??

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not claiming anything and never did. i didn't even know that kendall started this thread. i just gave him my PT readings. I had completelly forgot the ST forum when I rode with him. i t was him who invited me to test myself al la morcuera. if the data is wrong, then the unit is wrong. I told Frank in a private message (never here) that I thought i could beat my PB at la morcuera and ride above 350 Watts.
if anybody is ready to exchange a PT CPU for mine I will be happy to do so. the data is still inside it. and i guess the CPU cannot be manipulated. so any of you clever people analyze it.

if i just do 330 watts up la morcuera or 370 watt on a different powermeter, who cares?
Quote Reply
Re: I got my ass beat by Joaquin riding his Powercranks up La Morcuera with a Powertap [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
PowerCranks must generate their very own Bermuda Triangle: things break, disappear, and/or or magically generate themselves ...[/reply]
The thing that concerns me most is that it was incredibly easy to notice there was something wrong with the data from first glance. I guess physicians don't learn to think critically. As a doctor myself, but of the engineering Ph.D. variety, I have learned how to interpret data, look at what it is and isn't telling me, and when it's flat out wrong (i.e., data acquisition issue, test setup problems, etc).

The "can't be a scientist because I am a physician" moniker is certainly right. A "scientist" would have caught this problem at first sight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"if anybody is ready to exchange a PT CPU for mine I will be happy to do so. the data is still inside it. and i guess the CPU cannot be manipulated. so any of you clever people analyze it. "

You got it. PM me, and I will get you shipping info. I have several head units floating around, and would have no problem trading you one to get at the raw data...

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next