Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight, you are using a Garmin and Strava to time an 800 yard swim in a 25 yard pool???

What ever happened to counting 32 laps, 8 one hundreds, four 200's, and looking at your watch!!!

The graph I was looking at was just under the map, if I saw that on the TDF course profile, I would be thinking it is going to be a very tough day for the sprinters making the cutoffs.. To me, a flat run should look like this on a graph---------------------...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone offer a TLDR version of this? Who has kept up with it? Is the streak still intact?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I'm glad to hear of your brick session, Jason. That's too bad that your knee gives you grief on hills.
DamnLucky, I like your plan to ride 112 once or twice during this challenge. You're putting in way more time than most of us. Ericmulk's mowing might make him a contender for most hours, but I think you're leading.
Day 15.
Swam (13:57) at Rancho Penasquitos YMCA. It was nice to swim in a normal pool with other people. I circled with a guy and a gal.
Biked (47:29) at Lake Miramar (the worst place to ride) and the surrounding area. I won two QOM! Those are my first biking QOM's.
Ran 5k in 25:23 at Lake Miramar. I love that place for running.

Nah, I do not include my mowing time as "training" b/c it is just not close to being hard enough; i only include SBR-ing as actual training. Now your 25:23 is impressive, i may have to go to a track and get someone to pace me and see if i can go 3 miles at 8:10 or better; i did this exact run about 4 yrs ago on the indoor track at my fitness center, but i haven't been on the track much lately.

Today's Workouts, Day 15, 09.05.2018: Swam 3000 scm and 3.0 mi on the trail.
Swim: 300 Fr sw, 300 Fr pl, 200 IM sw/ki, 4 x 100 Bk sw/ki, 4 x 100 IM sw, 4 x 100 Br sw, 4 x 100 Fl, 4 x 100 IM sw, 200 Fr sw easy, in about 1 hour flat.
Run: 3.0 mi in 30:45.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still getting out there everyday so far, although I have it easy with biking.

https://www.strava.com/...;utm_medium=referral
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Let me get this straight, you are using a Garmin and Strava to time an 800 yard swim in a 25 yard pool???

What ever happened to counting 32 laps, 8 one hundreds, four 200's, and looking at your watch!!!

Yes, I am. All they can track is time-- not distance b/c my wearable doesn't have a swim function. It's a low level Garmin.

And I'm still struggling to keep track of my laps. At the pool today, I needed to swim 16 laps or 32 lengths. Or 8x100. Somehow I forgot where I was-- I was thinking that to swim faster the easiest way would be to snap my flip turns instead of lazily rolling thru them. After I thought that, I had no idea what lap I was on. I swam until I thought I was done. But my time was 11:38. So I did another 150. My counting of the 800 was off by about 150, I'm guessing. That's funny.

I think I'm at 14 s/b/r in 15 days, but one was a r/b/r over 2 days. So, it's a little loosey-goosey.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 5, 18 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, order has been restored to the universe!(and this challenge) I was going to let that 5k time of yours stand for awhile, but I made a deal with myself to start at 8;49 pace and see how I felt. After a couple minutes I jacked it down to 8 flat and ran it in for a 24;58. And yes, now I have to breath hard!! 5 minute HR's were 102/108/118/126/132 at finish..

MTB was very cool and cloudy and I rode it 10 beats easier than yesterday for a 37;58. Very surprised at the time, my legs must be getting in shape, 100 to 108 HR.

Started easy again on the swim and just held easy breathing for a 11;35, 102 HR at end.

so 1;14.29 total, new course record for the challenge....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, my. Congratulations!

Swam 14:22. Biked 44:35. Ran 30:36.

>Sigh<
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>Sigh<

No kidding, and you are a few ahead of me on this challenge, although I did very hard swim workouts on most of my off days. I think I'm at 11 or 12 of 16 now? Anyway thanks for the lift up here, I would have done nothing like this had you not intervened and started this challenge. I hope you are going to give me a few days at least before you crush my 5k time, I may need a week to recover!!

Thinking back to the 100/100's, this has been much more successful for me and versatile. I tried to do every other day running on that, but had several different weeks where I was sick, so ended up getting in a 1/3 of the 100 runs. I will have to go back and look at times, but I dont believe I have much more to go from today before I'm setting new recent PR's again, but I'm 15lbs lighter now, so I got that going for me...

Thanks everyone plodding though something at this time, with no race goals, this is the best I got...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news, Monty! My open 5k PR* is 25:12! When I go faster than your 24:58, it will be extra meaningful for me.

This 50/50 is working my body much differently than the 100/100. I feel like I'm really burning fat. I'm almost at race weight, and I feel pretty strong. I loved the 100/100. I felt strong but I didn't lose fat. The biking we're doing is the fat-burning difference, I think.

These challenges are really fun. I like that I don't have to drive or deal with parking to them. They are making fun in the backyard.

*In this era of my life. But I was never fast.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 6, 18 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news, Monty! My open 5k PR* is 25:12!//

Well I would say that running 11 seconds off your PR in a training run, just means you are ready for a new race best!! Find yourself a 5k before summer is over and rock it girl!! I have new respect for you now, had no idea you were bumping up against lifetime bests..

For me, I have to split myself into 3 life times. In my pro life I ran a 15;35 5k, in my mid 40's an 18 high, and then around a 20 flat around 50. But I have-not run much at all in the past 10 to 12 years, so I started my comeback at the 100/100's at around 30 minutes for 3 miles. I remember now that in my early 50's, I just started getting injured and had the mad calf disease so many get, so just hung up the shoes.

But now with Hoka's and treadmills, I'm a runner again! But it is a big mystery to how much of a runner I can become again, 23high was my best 5k during the challenge, and I just was not ready to push it. If I can get 5 more lbs gone, and a couple more weeks of racing you guys, I might just find me a 5k and jump in..

Aren't you in San Diego, how fun would it be for us and whoever else is around to jump into the same race!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Aren't you in San Diego, how fun would it be for us and whoever else is around to jump into the same race!!![/font]

That would be totally fun! To be clear, we're North County. But aren't you a long way off, east of LA in a desert?

A 5k would be fun. Naturally, a sprint tri would be fun, too. More worth the drive.
Quote Reply
Re: ST BOP to complete 50 __ in 50 days [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And not sure about everyone else, but when I time stuff, it is actual time spent riding or running, if you take a pic, hit the head, or stop at a light, you stop your watch. IT is hard enough trying to compare workouts, let alone ones that are full of running stop times..
i thought i was just one weird pshyco that does that. If i said i train one hour is 60 mn of training, not 60 mn of talking shit, waiting in light etc, etc. when i hear people saying they " train" 2 or 3 hours in the gym, im always asking in my mind: how much of that time is real training..end rant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be totally fun! To be clear, we're North County. But aren't you a long way off, east of LA in a desert? //

I do have a house up there next door to Slowman, but I live about 3 miles north of San Clemente, so about 25 minutes from north county SD. Where do you live there, I used to live in Leucadia for about 11 years, all during my pro days. Loved that area, go back every once in awhile and marvel at all the old dirt that is now track homes. Still love the beaches though...

The way I have been training(run/bike/swim) I should get myself into one of the winter pool races that are around so cal, or maybe an Xterra. May have to get out a calendar and get serious....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We live in Poway, which is pretty straight East of North Torrey Pines beach. We're just east of 1-15. We lived in Dana Point for a while (2003-ish), so I know your area a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 16, Thurs, 09.06.2018: Swam 3000 scm (mix of IM and free swim/kick/pull) and 3.0 trail miles. I live in the eastern U.S. so i won't be joining you and monty for any races. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode today, risking my neck on a downhill with teenagers that know no fear.

https://www.strava.com/...;utm_medium=referral
Last edited by: damn lucky: Sep 7, 18 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, Eric. You're very steady. We'll have to do a virtual race then.

At some point, when the remodel of the Poway community pool is done, I want to do a self-supported half. Hmm?
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds horrible! Glad you survived!!

I meant to ask how relatives are like fish? Good the first day and then just disgusting leftovers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Nice, Eric. You're very steady. We'll have to do a virtual race then.

At some point, when the remodel of the Poway community pool is done, I want to do a self-supported half. Hmm?

Doing a half iron means I'd have to start cycling again, which i have thought about, but the hassles of cycling are generally excessive IME. I mean, every few weeks i have a flat tire, or one of the dérailleurs doesn't work right, or something. Plus, even in 25 yrs of riding i have never gotten comfy on any saddle, so finally i just stopped riding and started swimming more. Haven't ridden the bike regularly since 2012.

Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric, I pretty much had the same feelings about cycling as you, but for different reasons. IT was the MTB that got me back in the saddle, it was just fun and enjoyable to ride out by myself and not have to worry about traffic. And eventually I got on my tri bike and it was enjoyable too, just like it used to be in the beginning.

Now with zwift and other online experiences, I think I will join in and virtual train through those, with some road experiences thrown in when I'm in the mountains and desert. Anyway, maybe just start out like I did, it is pretty easy, upright, and your butt breaks in faster and easier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Todays sprint tri, 5k @9;14 pace(28;37) MTB ride(37;15) and 800swim@11;34

1;17.26 total time, 96 to 106HR's

But there is more!! I added on a mile to the run and 4.1 to the ride, same paces. I have this bright idea that I can claw back one of my off days, just need to make 3 days a bit longer. Added 9;14 running and 13;10 riding, have plenty in my swim bank already...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my guests, my parents, are like three day old fish, time for them to go!

Too bad I can't meet you guys in California. If you're ever out here I'll be happy to be your guide.

Anyway, not sure of what day we are on but I haven't missed one yet. Today's ride

https://303cycling.com/magnolia-boulder-hill-climb-bike-ride/

https://www.strava.com/activities/1825980885
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 17. Event # 16 done.

Ran 29:54, Swam 14:30, Ran 29:45. For a few different reasons, I decided to do things a little differently today and tomorrow.

My issues are: a hint of a sore throat; I tripped and fell while running tired yesterday--bloody knee; bad attitude; saw pool dude dump 4 gallons of chlorine in the pool right before I wanted to swim; and I don't have access to a pool tomorrow.

Tomorrow I think I can run-bike-run. Is it okay for me to unilaterally decide that a r/b/r or r/s/r is an equivalent to s/b/r?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what you can or you're able to do! I fell mountain biking and had a rock fly up and knock me on the shin.

Tomorrow is a tough day for me schedule wise. I may only get a short ride in when my son and I pre ride his race course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I think I can run-bike-run. Is it okay for me to unilaterally decide that a r/b/r or r/s/r is an equivalent to s/b/r? //

Too funny, I'm getting that pre scratchy throat thing too. Usually it will go away with a full day rest, that's if I'm not full blown sick and just dont know it yet. And however you get in the mileage is good. I started today adding a 1/3 to my bike and run in hopes of cobbling together another sprint to cover an off day. Out game, our rules!!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next