Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hurt my shoulder rock climbing in the spring. I've been waiting for the team's mtb season to end for the MRI. I didn't buy any ski passes this year, figuring I might be wearing a brace of some sort. It's high time I got it sorted out so I can start swimming and lifting weights again.

I just set up a smart trainer with Zwift in preparation of no riding out on the roads.

I'm dreading the MRI more than the colonoscopy. I'm claustrophobic and I hate lying in those tubes!
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 42. Biked 42:51. Ran 27:23.

MRI: how did it go?
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Oct 2, 18 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to hang in there all your guys and gals, I got caught up in a swimming routine, so not much of the other two lately. But I did do my best 4k swim workout in 5 years today, so something in this challenge clicked with my body;

8x500- 1swim@7;15(7;02)3 pull@7;00/6;50/6;40(6;36/6;32/6;26)1IM kick@9;30(9;13) 1 pull@6;30(6;17) 1 IM kick@9;20(9;07)1 pull@6;20(6;13)

4000SCY in 59;23 with 1k of it kicking
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Way to hang in there all your guys and gals, I got caught up in a swimming routine, so not much of the other two lately. But I did do my best 4k swim workout in 5 years today, so something in this challenge clicked with my body;

8x500- 1swim@7;15(7;02)3 pull@7;00/6;50/6;40(6;36/6;32/6;26)1IM kick@9;30(9;13) 1 pull@6;30(6;17) 1 IM kick@9;20(9;07)1 pull@6;20(6;13)

Monty, in the future will you puleeze convert all your stats to 100 pace? My crappy calculations indicate that you swam roughly something like 1:22s for the 500 and pulled something faster. That's awesome!

I secretly think swimming is the coolest of the three sports, being technical, mystical and fatiging in a whole-body/mind way. Love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, in the future will you puleeze convert all your stats to 100 pace? My crappy calculations indicate that you swam roughly something like 1:22s for the 500 and pulled something faster//

Ok, so actually I started cold with my 500 swim at 1;24 pace, then did a steady pull descend from 1;19's to 1;14+'s on those 5x500's. First kick was about 1;50+ pace, second once was 1;48+ pace per 100..
Last edited by: monty: Oct 2, 18 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Monty, in the future will you puleeze convert all your stats to 100 pace? My crappy calculations indicate that you swam roughly something like 1:22s for the 500 and pulled something faster//

Ok, so actually I started cold with my 500 swim at 1;24 pace, then did a steady pull descend from 1;19's to 1;14+'s on those 5x500's. First kick was about 1;40+ pace, second once was 1;38+ pace per 100..

Thank you! That's really solid, Monty! And you did 4k (incl kick) in an hour. That has to be pretty satisfying!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 43

22 miles with the mtb team. The MRI went fine, I get the results on Thursday.

https://www.strava.com/...;utm_medium=referral
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
monty wrote:

Monty, in the future will you puleeze convert all your stats to 100 pace? My crappy calculations indicate that you swam roughly something like 1:22s for the 500 and pulled something faster. That's awesome!
I secretly think swimming is the coolest of the three sports, being technical, mystical and fatiging in a whole-body/mind way. Love it!

Bold for truth. Day 42, Tues, 10.02.2018: Swam 4000 scm and ran 3.5 mi.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 44

40 mile ride. I was going to head to Ward but the wind was brutal. I have to save some energy for the mtb practice tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1882207702
Last edited by: damn lucky: Oct 3, 18 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 44. Biked 42:50. Ran 27:56. Feeling very thankful for Damn lucky, Ericmulk, Monty. You guys alright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a 4.1 on the treadmill today, putting another mile into the bank. 5k beginning @8;57 pace, then 10m at 8;34, and last 16 @8;00 for a 25;48. Did extra credit mile at 9;31 to come off that 132 top HR I hit on the 5k.

Then an 800 buoy super easy descend swim(11;42) 400IM easy kick(8;24). 1200SCY

So aquathon today, try for aqua bike tomorrow..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Day 44. Biked 42:50. Ran 27:56. Feeling very thankful for Damn lucky, Ericmulk, Monty. You guys alright.

Actually, today is Day 43 b/c we started on a Wed and that was 6 weeks ago, or 42 days. Today we are starting the 7th week so 42 + 1 = 43. :)

Day 43, Wed, 10.03.2018: Swam 4000 scm and ran 3.5 miles.

Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way to go everyone. so awesome that 6 weeks in & you're training consistently and getting fitter/stronger (and not physically breaking yourselves).

this last week may be tough to keep going ("remind me, why are we doing this again?/is this really worth it?"), so here's some motivation from another challenging venture that I think is audacious/off-beat/inspiring, The Speed Project:
https://vimeo.com/95359629
https://blog.strava.com/...e-speed-project-4-0/

make a difference. today.
Last edited by: andrew r: Oct 4, 18 2:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Actually, today is Day 43 b/c we started on a Wed and that was 6 weeks ago, or 42 days. Today we are starting the 7th week so 42 + 1 = 43. :)

Day 43, Wed, 10.03.2018: Swam 4000 scm and ran 3.5 miles.

Now it's day 44. Ran 26:14. Biked 44:48.

During the time of this challenge, I've had cool ideas bubble up from the murky depths. In the last 3 weeks, I've designed (and redesigned) and made a limited line of handbags which will debut at an art festival on Saturday. If you insist on pictures, I'll share them, but I expect most of you don't really care to see them.

I think this routine of workouts and the rules for this challenge have freed my mind in some way. Yes, that sounds silly. But the rules of the challenge are kind of like rules in poetry or prayer. Half the brain follows the rules which leaves the other half free to develop fantastic ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so cool that your creativity has been stimulated; you can’t not post pics now... yes, we’re asking. (well, I am). I’m intrigued to see where your imagination has led you.

make a difference. today.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [andrew r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The bags are a combination of upholstery fabics: tweeds, linen and velvet. No cooling fabrics or UV protection. Definitely room for improvement there! Except, I have no intention of making any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 44, another ride with the mtb team, two weeks, four practices and the season is over.

My shoulder doctor thinks I need more pt, I disagree. So we put me on the calendar for surgery Nov 26, just in case pt doesn't help and he gets busy near years end.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

The bags are a combination of upholstery fabics: tweeds, linen and velvet. No cooling fabrics or UV protection. Definitely room for improvement there! Except, I have no intention of making any more.

Very nice; personally, I like the bag just as it is, au naturel.

Day 44, Thurs, 10.04.2018: Swam 3000 scm and ran 3.5 miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Day 44, another ride with the mtb team, two weeks, four practices and the season is over.

My shoulder doctor thinks I need more pt, I disagree. So we put me on the calendar for surgery Nov 26, just in case pt doesn't help and he gets busy near years end.

DL - Can you swim at all or does it just hurt too much??? I've always thought of swimming as a form of physical therapy, mental therapy, endurance training, and even strength training if you swim hard, all rolled into one. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did the MRI show?

What does your physical therapist say? Your PT might have good insight about the successes of PT vs surgery +PT.

Have you spoken to a second doc yet? I would. You dated a quite few women, test drove multiple cars, and looked at many houses before those big decisions. Do the same!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Very nice; personally, I like the bag just as it is, au naturel.

Day 44, Thurs, 10.04.2018: Swam 3000 scm and ran 3.5 miles.

Thank you, Eric. You're very kind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, I can swim, but just doing the head above water breast stroke. If I try the crawl, it bothers my shoulder too much. I'm think I need to start swimming and maybe try the crawl for a lap or two every once in awhile. My building has a small pool where I can get some short laps in, just for range of motion I think it's a good idea.

CJ, I was going to upload the MRI result but I can't get tinypic to work for me. The key words in the findings were, probable small tear in the labrum, partial tear distal supraspinatus tendon and adhesive capsulitis.

So, it's on to stretching and exercises for me, my next PT visit is Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Eric, I can swim, but just doing the head above water breast stroke. If I try the crawl, it bothers my shoulder too much. I'm think I need to start swimming and maybe try the crawl for a lap or two every once in awhile. My building has a small pool where I can get some short laps in, just for range of motion I think it's a good idea.
CJ, I was going to upload the MRI result but I can't get tinypic to work for me. The key words in the findings were, probable small tear in the labrum, partial tear distal supraspinatus tendon and adhesive capsulitis.
So, it's on to stretching and exercises for me, my next PT visit is Wednesday.

That's a good idea, doing freestyle maybe 1 out of every 4 or 6 lengths of the pool. Maybe you can progress from 1/4 to 1/3, etc. It is worth a try anyway. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 45? Ran 7 miles on trails. What a treat! No bike. Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, Day 45.

Biked 40

https://www.strava.com/activities/1886150027
Quote Reply

Prev Next