Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, When I was in college, I read Swimming Into the 21st Century and treated it like a textbook. I took notes, highlighted parts, and swam everyday (M-F) for an hour. Someone told me that book is no longer considered an authority. Maybe the "s" pull is frowned upon. Straight pull is in. I still think about creating and shedding vortices, proper balance fore and aft, and forward propulsion that mysteriously comes from a foil. I may have confused and mangled the ideas of that book. Swimming is magic.
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Eric, When I was in college, I read Swimming Into the 21st Century and treated it like a textbook. I took notes, highlighted parts, and swam everyday (M-F) for an hour. Someone told me that book is no longer considered an authority. Maybe the "s" pull is frowned upon. Straight pull is in. I still think about creating and shedding vortices, proper balance fore and aft, and forward propulsion that mysteriously comes from a foil. I may have confused and mangled the ideas of that book. Swimming is magic.

Ya, swimming is indeed magic in my eyes. Colwin's 21st Century book may no longer be considered the latest "authority" but people still swam extremely fast following his guidance. I don't think quite as technically about my strokes as you do but rather just focus on trying to be smooth and relaxed in the water.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, it was the cross trainers!! I've never understood those shoes. Why not just wear older running shoes when you cross train? Don't answer. Its time to put silly questions and kids to bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Ah, it was the cross trainers!! I've never understood those shoes. Why not just wear older running shoes when you cross train? Don't answer. Its time to put silly questions and kids to bed.

I bought them cuz they looked good with jeans. Never used them for training before, just the occasional jog across the street.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I managed to get 52 miles in today. I took it easy as it was a hot one and I still have one more practice tomorrow. I'm aiming for something fun Friday if my schedule works out.

https://www.strava.com/...;utm_medium=referral
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

I bought them cuz they looked good with jeans. Never used them for training before, just the occasional jog across the street.

Your swimrun race sounds like the live version of some of my race anxiety dreams. I'm behind schedule setting up my transition area-- racers are already in the water and the gun is about to sound. I grab in my bag for my running shoes-- and they are flat, no-cushion tennis shoes! What the hell?!? Why did I bring those? My feet are going to hate me.

Day 22. Biked 47:54. Swam 15:18. Ran 2.42 miles in 34:38 with the middle school cross country team. Yesterday I ran 2.92 mikes with them in 41:41. I'm going to count these runs together as my run today. I'm jogging with the slowest of the slow on the team.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 12, 18 17:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Your swimrun race sounds like the live version of some of my race anxiety dreams. I'm behind schedule setting up my transition area-- racers are already in the water and the gun is about to sound. I grab in my bag for my running shoes-- and they are flat, no-cushion tennis shoes! What the hell?!? Why did I bring those? My feet are going to hate me.

Day 22. Biked 47:54. Swam 15:18. Ran 2.42 miles in 34:38 with the middle school cross country team. Yesterday I ran 2.92 mikes with them in 41:41. I'm going to count these runs together as my run today. I'm jogging with the slowest of the slow on the team.

It's good that you're running with the slowest kids, they need support too!!! At the park where i do my running, they had a high school XC meet this past Sat morning, and lots of kids were out running the course the night before, when i was running. A big range of speeds even with these youngsters!!!

Also, regarding the cross trainer shoes, i think they are made for people who do not run, or who run minimally and do lots of other stuff like b-ball, tennis, weights, etc. So, these people need these shoes b/c they do not have the 50 pairs of old running shoes that we have in our closets. :)

Day 22, Wed, 09.12.2018: Swam 3600 scm mixed strokes and ran 3.5 miles.

Last edited by: ericmulk: Sep 12, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at 21 events in 23 days.

Biked 44:59. Swam 13:41. Ran 29:27.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I'm at 21 events in 23 days.

Biked 44:59. Swam 13:41. Ran 29:27.

That's pretty badass. Nice work. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 23, Thurs, 09.13.2018: Swam 4000 scm mixed strokes and ran 3.5 miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another painful ride with the high school mtb team doing hill repeats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we on day 24? So I've only missed one day and today I tried to make up for that, riding up Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mountain National Park, up to 12,000 ft of elevation. My legs were tired at the start after yesterdays hill repeats but they came around.

I took some picks on the way up but missed a lot of opportunities on the way down. I didn't feel like stopping, it was too much fun bombing down the road.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1841546568
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's day 24, too. You were on a road bike today riding up to 12k feet? Wowie!

Biked 41:59 (PR for this challenge). Swam 14:24. Ran 31:04.

I'm tired. Doing all this stuff feels a little lonely. I'm tentatively planning to ride with the Swami's women's group tomorrow for some comraderie.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 14, 18 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been up at the high desert house and taking advantage of a real pool with lane lines. SO today was 3rd day in a row of almost 3k a day, but some very good and fast intervals, so swimming feeling good. I might be doing an ocean race this Sunday, so just wanted to be somewhat prepared. I will be joining back in shortly.. Good job all on the consistency, I think that is the true benefit to this challenge..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 24, Fri, 09.14.2018: Swam 4200 scm mixed and ran 3.5.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 25 and we are at the halfway mark! I know I have it easy just biking but I'm really liking the consistency heading into the colder months. I just did an easy ride today since tomorrow I'll be back out on the trails. I'm averaging around 200 miles a week doing this.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1843727365
Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 25. I rode 64 miles ride today with the Swami's women's group. It was chatty for the first half, and then we rode hard for the second half. I'm down to race weight. I wondered if I would be skinny-weak, but I was strong. We had a very slow lunch afterward that made me antsy to get home. Holy cow-- I was away from home for 7 hours. Talk about inefficient! But I guess that wasn't the goal. My loneliness is cured. I'm very happy to start up our s/b/r again tomorrow!

Monty, are you doing the Oceanside open water swim tomorrow? If so, have fun and kick ass!
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 15, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 25, Sat, 09.15.2018: 4200 scm mixed strokes and 3.5 mi run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No tiki swim for me today, went to enter a few days ago and it had closed, oh well. So got back on the treadmill at 9;05 pace for a 28;09 5k, then did a 2k swim, 800 in 11;23, 5x200pull@2;45 and a 200 kick

So just an aquathon today, get back on the bike again tomorrow. Did 3 good swims at the end of the week last week, got a 10 mile swim relay I'm on at the end of the month..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 26, mtb ride with my son, another coach/friend and his son. All three of them on new bikes. Bike envy for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biked 48:32. Ran 3.5 miles with my son in 40 min. Swam 15:37 with my kids at the pool.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 17, 18 20:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 27. Biked 45:27. Ran 28:51. No swim.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Sep 17, 18 20:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 26, Sun, 09.16.2018: Swam 4200 scm mixed strokes and ran 4 miles.
Day 27, Mon, 09.17.2018: Swam 3600 scm mixed strokes and ran 3 miles.

Quote Reply
Re: 50 Sprint/ 50 Days & 50 Sprint Tri Relay [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Nice work, Eric. You're very steady. I like your style!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Nice work, Eric. You're very steady. I like your style!

Thanks CJ. This is just how i've always found things to work best, with small but steady increases in training.

BTW, I like your "style" also, in the sense of your straightforward, enthusiastic manner. Not many girls out there like you, at least IME. :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next