Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, that was sweet. Wout is way more of a team guy than he gets credit for.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I half-thought he'd go for the stage win, and push his Green Jersey points over 500, then I thought "nah, he's not THAT guy"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple days ago, I emailed the WEDU Team

"Hello WEDUdes & WEDUdettes,

Longtime Lance fan here - I was right on the barricades at the Finish Line on the Ben Franklin Parkway when Lance won the US Pro in Philadelphia

I know Lance gave credit in one of the WEDU podcasts but I've searched and searched but can't find the episode where he named the harmonica player who does the title theme

Please remind us who that would be and if they have a Spotify/Apple Music/Bandcamp page

They didn't give me credit (prob the Philly thing), but DID answer my question on-air

https://open.spotify.com/...xKVaCITkmSnxBWFiaEUg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Agreed, that was sweet. Wout is way more of a team guy than he gets credit for.

Huh??? He's been touted as the ultimate teammate/domestique since last year's Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, Iā€™ve watched the past two Tours. He mostly gets credit for winning, not for what he does as a teammate and especially when cameras arenā€™t on him.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 24, 22 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I know, Iā€™ve watched the past two Tours. He mostly gets credit for winning, not for what he does as a teammate and especially when cameras arenā€™t on him.

He has matured very well. I got the sense when he was dominating CX at a very young age (before MdVP crashed the party), that he was a bit dickish. It's easy to get like that at a young age when you don't yet know what losing feels like. But he seems like an all-around likable guy now. As long as you don't mind losing bike races to him.

Jumbo-Visma seems to be mostly good people, and a good place to develop.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 24, 22 19:48
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing is clear; they clearly seemed like a tight knit group who was happy to work toward their goals and happy for each other's successes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
RandMart wrote:
They took my idea even more literally, actually giving Caleb an image of a red lantern to wear next to his regular number

If there wasn't a prize being offered at the end of today, I'd say that's kinda cruel

I don't remember this happening before.

They said yesterday that this is the first year they're doing it, sponsored by lastminute.com - see the tie-in? - who are the providers/sponsors of the bibs (used to be LCL, I believe?)

The Giro d'Italia used to award a black jersey to the rider last on GC. In some editions, there was quite a competition for that last placed spot since it came with a lot of publicity and fame. Giovanni Pinarello, the founder of Pinarello Bicycles, used the prize money he won by winning the black jersey in the 1951 Giro to start his bike company.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of a black jersey, but many teams already have a black or dark blue kit, so it wouldn't have the same impact/stand out like it did in those days when [I'm just guessing here] the team colors were white, or red or yellow, or some combination thereof

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ladies are taking a beating in the last few minutes

First a skid into a hot corner, then a drift off the road, and right after that ka-bam, ka-BAM!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tour de france femmes getting hard to watch with these crashes.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
I was thinking of a black jersey, but many teams already have a black or dark blue kit, so it wouldn't have the same impact/stand out like it did in those days when [I'm just guessing here] the team colors were white, or red or yellow, or some combination thereof

As with teams whose kit is predominantly yellow, if the ASO decided to award a black jersey for the last placed rider on GC, any team whose kit was black would necessarily have to change it for the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ant's quick tutorial on how to ride in an echelon [wind from the left]

"All you need to do is go to the right hand side, slot in, go up to the hip of the rider on your left hand side, and suddenly life becomes nice & easy"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ant failed that one.

Brutal day for FDJ. Vos on the other hand, shows how much of a killer she is. Every race, all of the time she is ready to race and win. What an absolute weapon.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jumbo-Visma back in Yellow

Oh yeah, back in Green, too

Last edited by: RandMart: Jul 25, 22 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its only fitting.

An update on the points standings...

https://lanternerouge.com.au/2022/07/24/dsm-and-arkea-escape-danger-while-movistar-descends-into-trouble-relegation-battle/
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish it would fall out of vogue to ask the winner of Le Tour if they're clean or not.

Imagine this carried over into other sports:

Messi after a WC futbol match: "so, do drugs or beat women?"
Tom Brady after a superbowl: "do drugs or beat women?"

It doesn't do cycling any good to constantly self flagellate all the time. Simply when there's an issue, deal with it harshly. If you don't have anything right now on someone, why constantly bring the shit up?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I really wish it would fall out of vogue to ask the winner of Le Tour if they're clean or not.

It doesn't do cycling any good to constantly self flagellate all the time. Simply when there's an issue, deal with it harshly. If you don't have anything right now on someone, why constantly bring the shit up?

I agree 100%. In the absence of any evidence to provoke the question, it's just lazy cheap journalism. And the way cycling is singled out is frustrating. Recently my BIL was asking me about doping in the Tour de France. He's a big hockey fan, but does not have the same questions about NHL stars.

I'm not arguing for sticking our heads in the sand. It is fair to wonder what Jumbo are doing. Laporte mentioned that he spent 6 weeks at altitude in the last couple of months before the Tour. And we know that Jumbo have embraced ketones, which are still legal for the moment. Is there something else, something illegal? I don't know, but unless I have something to base it on, I'm not going to assume that Jumbo's team performance was based on anything illegal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

On Cycling News, there was an article reporting where some journalists were effectively asking Vingegaard and Van Aert, "Does JV use drugs?" At the end of the article, they pointed out comments made by Michael Rasmussen (now a journalist, with the obvious baggage from his cycling past). While he didn't suggest that everyone should bury their head in the sand and ignore the possibility of PED use these days, his reasoning why asking something like this is "a useless question" is spot on.

As Vingegaard sat down in the press room in Gramat on Saturday evening, one of the journalists before him was Michael Rasmussen, the last Dane to wear yellow at the Tour for the Dutch team. When Rasmussen first returned to the Tour in his current role in 2015, he was asked about his controversial tenure in yellow, when he repeatedly denied doping before eventually being withdrawn from the race when it emerged he had lied about his whereabouts to avoid doping controls.

ā€œIā€™ve never heard any rider so far say ā€˜yesā€™ to the rolling camera while heā€™s racing in his active career, so itā€™s not really the answer thatā€™s wrong but the question,ā€ Rasmussen said then. ā€œItā€™s a useless question.ā€

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vingegaard-jumbo-visma-are-totally-clean-you-have-to-trust-us/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

TB: "No, I don't eat strawberries"

Kinda like

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about this question after reading that article. I think a better question would be something along the lines of do they think the UCI/WADA is doing enough from a testing perspective so that no one could get a material advantage from "doping".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, wait - Pog has his own logo now?

Like ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's rapping now as well, so he needs that on a chain of sorts too.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone catch the wheelie contest this year?

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Anyone catch the wheelie contest this year?

Fun. Max is a good sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next