Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mads Pedersen shows incredible range finishing second to Bennett and Roglic in two completely different kinds of sprints.

I was thinking the same thing. Surprised to see him there in the finale today; he's clearly on good form and is such a great combo of power and racing nous.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
trail wrote:

Mads Pedersen shows incredible range finishing second to Bennett and Roglic in two completely different kinds of sprints.

I was thinking the same thing. Surprised to see him there in the finale today; he's clearly on good form and is such a great combo of power and racing nous.

He seems like a very intelligent rider. Always gives a good interview, too.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the relegation front (sort of fun to follow), Lotto Soudal's "Plan B" (B for Belgium) is working out nicely. They picked up 195 points today for their two riders coming in 1st and 3rd at the one day Egmont Cycling Race (formerly known as GP Stad Zottegem). Pat on the back if you've ever heard of this race. Bonus pat if you've heard of the two riders (Arnaud De Lie and Jasper De Buyst). De Lie is a neo pro, and it sounds like he's the real deal. It could be a case of "Caleb Who?" when they start looking ahead to next year.

Meanwhile, I don't think Movistar nor EF have picked up much of anything at the Vuelta after four days of racing. If they have a rider who can win a stage there (which doesn't look all that likely), a single stage win would only be worth 100 points. Not that they'd have done much at Edgmont (nor Saturday's Schaal Sels one day race nor tomorrow's Druivenkoers Overijse one day race - heck, I can't even pronounce the names of these races), but a stage win at any one of these races is worth 125 points. Even a tenth place finish is worth 20 points, which is the same as finishing 3rd on a stage at the Vuelta.

Look out for Lotto!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Meanwhile, I don't think Movistar nor EF have picked up much of anything at the Vuelta after four days of racing.

Mas got 3rd today, and could be a factor in the top 5 GC, which would be a bit of a points haul.

EF has Caicedo, Padun, Chavez, and Rigo to unleash in the real mountains. Those four are probably better off stage hunting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:

Meanwhile, I don't think Movistar nor EF have picked up much of anything at the Vuelta after four days of racing.

Mas got 3rd today, and could be a factor in the top 5 GC, which would be a bit of a points haul.

EF has Caicedo, Padun, Chavez, and Rigo to unleash in the real mountains. Those four are probably better off stage hunting.
Top 5 on GC for Mas would be useful. Third on today's stage was worth 20 points. (Piet Allegaert got 20 points for finishing in 10th place as today's Egmont.)

Yeah, the EF guys better be looking for multiple stage wins between them. It doesn't look like they've got much chance at a top GC placing.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lotto, frankly, looks like a lower tier team. Wonder how their big rider contracts work should they get relegated?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
trail wrote:

Nice shouldering on the way in too, Movistar guy I think. Mismatch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Hayter drives me nuts with his casual tail-gunning. It very nearly ended poorly for him again as he had to veer around a Kern Pharma guy sliding across the road.

CVV just commenting on that, especially that his team is up front, while he's soft pedaling in the back

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sorry 'bout that

I was thinking more of a "Wham Bam, Pass-around Pam" kinda thing, myself

Gotta feel bad for Sepp ... "Guys!!! I was supposed to be next!!!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UAE suits Soler nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.etymonline.com/word/jumbo

Jumbo was simply the name of the elephant when Barnum acquired him, but he was not of unusual size until much later, and that's when "Jumbo" started to mean "really, really big"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mega Visma?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
UAE suits Soler nicely.

I've got a soft spot for that guy. He's a prideful rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta hand it to Bobke & CVV; when they go off-topic, they really GO!!!

C: "I'm trying to figure out what's up with Oscar Pereiro's hair?"
B: "I don't think that's age-related"
C: "Went a little crazy with the peroxide"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Christ, a fucking NASTY day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Oh Christ, a fucking NASTY day

Not that bad! Wet is OK. Cold is OK. It's nasty when it's wet and cold. This might be a relief after the 30C+ days.

Edit: OK, I take it back after seeing the IPT guy on the ground.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 25, 22 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I turned on Peacock, they were in the middle of a downpour - glad that's let up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This last climb is exciting!

Jay Vine! Glimmers of life from Movistar. Evenepoel emerging as a quality long distance climber (even if the moderate gradient suited him).
Last edited by: trail: Aug 25, 22 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing they didn't need to get a photo-finish in the finish line fog/clouds

They would've had to use radar

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peacock has decided that the race is something to fill the space between commercials. Disappointing. It was going pretty well.

Flobikes w/ VPN doesn't seem to be working.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the commercials are brutal and repetitive. When I pay for coverage, I expect minimal ads.

Bennett's green jersey ceremony from yesterday was hilarious (waving to absolutely no one as they're breaking down the finish area)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Peacock has decided that the race is something to fill the space between commercials. Disappointing. It was going pretty well.

Flobikes w/ VPN doesn't seem to be working.

On my phone it goes to a black screen that says "Don't go anywhere. We'll be right back"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Yeah, the commercials are brutal and repetitive. When I pay for coverage, I expect minimal ads.

Bennett's green jersey ceremony from yesterday was hilarious (waving to absolutely no one as they're breaking down the finish area)

Freddy, Freddy, Freddy.....

Not So Fast Freddy Wright

Could have played that a little differently, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

C'mon, you are savvy enough to know this by now:

Peacock is good only for footie/ soccer; for cycling, GCN + VPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Freddy, Freddy, Freddy.....

Not So Fast Freddy Wright

Could have played that a little differently, no?

Nice leadout by Freddy. Little too eager. Can't be too pleased about losing a sprint to Jesus Herrada.
Quote Reply

Prev Next