Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And he chugged the beer on the podium!!! First time I saw a winner do that, the fans loved it and so did I!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
trail wrote:
I loved the MTB-style high fives in the last 300m. Pure joy.

That was spectacular.

It was! Along with the pure joy in his face while he was doing it!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah man that was golden - as the announcers said, he just cemented the love he won from the Spanish fans with that
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Says a lot about how strong and confident Roglic is feeling to give Sepp green light. Classy of him to do so.

I don’t know how Jumbo picks next year’s Tour team, they have more hitters than spots: Roglic, TD, Kruiseship, Bennet, Van Aert, De Plus, Martin, Sepp? No room for Groenewegen in there.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how strong they've built themselves in the past few years. I think Skyneos finally has competition.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be an amazing TdF squad though. Having 3 guys who can be outright GC contenders, one deluxe domestique (bennet who has shown he has it in the 1 week races) one world class rouleur (van aert), 2 strong, young climbers (de plus and kuss) and 1 TT machine (martin) - they've shown they have it in the TTTs.

If they put all their eggs in the GC bucket they would absolutely challenge Ineos for thr TdF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Says a lot about how strong and confident Roglic is feeling to give Sepp green light. Classy of him to do so.

I don’t know how Jumbo picks next year’s Tour team, they have more hitters than spots: Roglic, TD, Kruiseship, Bennet, Van Aert, De Plus, Martin, Sepp? No room for Groenewegen in there.

Should be interesting to see how Jumbo sets up their teams for the grand tours. Assuming Roglic wins the Vuelta, who leads at the TDF him or TD and will Kruiseship (great nickname for him) be happy with super domestic duties? Groenewegen is definitely the man out for the TDF, and maybe the team depending on budget and contract. Will be interesting to see what happens!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, Benny is up next........'Merica
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone else think Geoghegan Hart needs a helmet that fits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PogaStar

One thing to be athletically gifted but another to riding for GC in this thing- at 20.
Precocious.

Good seeing Bart Simpson at the finish. That was random.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rest day stuff.

Joe Dombrowski has signed with UAE Team Emirates for next season. Didn't see this coming, and not really a team I'm going to support. But here's hoping he can get some results.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dombrowski-signs-with-uae-team-emirates/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saw that this morning; think Joe D has a lot more to offer and that a this move works out for him - he's only 28
j
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
saw that this morning; think Joe D has a lot more to offer and that a this move works out for him - he's only 28
j

Good that he has another American, McNulty, on the team. But I'm still trying to figure out what UAE wants to be. Clearly with Gaviria and Richeze they're going to targetting sprint stages and sprinter one-days. Are the climbs Joe D, McNulty, and Aru going to be stage hunters?

I'm a little surprised that Trek-Segafredo, as a U.S.-registered team, has seemingly made little effort to sign young U.S. talent. They have Stetina and Reijnen.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a bit bummed about this as well, as I like to root for Joe D, but not so much for a dictatorship.
However, I do think that Joe needed a change of scenery, I think things got stale at EF and he wasn't reaching his full potential, and also with them bringing on the 2 young columbians he was going to be pushed farther down the depth chart.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on how Pogacar is going during the Vuelta, and that they have him under contract for four more years, I imagine they are building a team around him for future grand tour wins.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Pogacar deserves to have a GT team built around him.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
I am a bit bummed about this as well, as I like to root for Joe D, but not so much for a dictatorship.
However, I do think that Joe needed a change of scenery, I think things got stale at EF and he wasn't reaching his full potential, and also with them bringing on the 2 young columbians he was going to be pushed farther down the depth chart.

I think EF would have loved to keep him. Joe got very solid in the last couple of years after hip arterial corrections were made and his market value jumped at the same time as the love diminished with JV and EF and I guess they couldn't pay up. Hard to hang with that Emirates dough.

All pure speculation on my part.

I'm happy for him and with McNulty of course and PogaStar on the team, it'll be interesting. He's getting married and seems super happy and I think his agent has a handle on who to stay away from re team admin and directors. Kind of a bummer though as EF was a US team to an extent. But these guys have to bank it while they can. It's usually such a short window of opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's kind of funny that Pogacar steals your KOM. Any of the peloton could do it, but I like it was Pogacar

If you live in Asturias and La Vuelta comes here every two years, and then add the small junior races, regional and other criteriums... It's quite hard to keep a KOM!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Rest day wow: https://www.velonews.com/...at-the-vuelta_500502

All of these amazing young riders right now are jaw dropping. That power is awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Rest day wow: https://www.velonews.com/...at-the-vuelta_500502

Like a boss

Most impressive part is that his power on the final climb was a) higher than some of the GC riders’ and b) comparable to his effort from earlier in the day
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it came after 3 hours with some pretty solid efforts already.

When ST ponders how triathletes stack up to a pure cyclists then can look at a 141 lb guy who average 270 watts on a 4400kj day in the middle of a grand tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

When ST ponders how triathletes stack up to a pure cyclists then can look at a 141 lb guy who average 270 watts on a 4400kj day in the middle of a grand tour.

Are Pogastar's number anywhere online?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s on Strava but I don’t recall seeing power numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Yup. Turns out pure cyclists are, well, uh the best cyclists in the world. :) That 30 minute power at his size in the middle of a grand tour is mighty mighty good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next