Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THE MOVE podcast team is doing something VERY interesting for La Vuelta

Lance isn't in it [not yet, anyway]

JB and Johann are one one feed, in English, while Johann and Víctor Hugo Peña are on another feed in Spanish!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Gonna save up that last 2K everyone someone says Quintana never attacks.

Ineos had no one in the first two groups.

you mean 20K, right?

find it funny when people call him passive; seems like this type of naysayers forget his exploits at the 2014 Giro
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

you mean 20K, right?

OK, both. One clip at 20K when he jumped to the group, then at ~2K when he attacked the leading group for the win.

The first one is kinda expected. Jumping away on climbs is what Quintana does. I did *not* expect him to pull a Tom Boonen move on the flat, riding away from TT-artist Roglic and stage-hunter Roche.

Edit: It was savvy by Quintana, too, attacking with Uran on the front, probably knowing his former roommate and country-man wasn't going to pull it back for Roglic.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 25, 19 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One hell of a stage, great move by Quintana, Roglic, Aru, and Uran. I half expected Valverde to try to bridge up to the front group pulling the rest of the group with him, just like Movistar did at the TDF.

Even more excited for the next 19 stages!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
I half expected Valverde to try to bridge up to the front group pulling the rest of the group with him, just like Movistar did at the TDF.

It might have been unintentional, but it was excellent teamwork for Valverde to bait Lopez twice, softening him up just enough to let the small group pull clear. Silly of Lopez to take the bait when he had no teammates to cover counter-attacks.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 25, 19 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lopez blew that one marking the wrong guy. Can't ask for a better stage 2 of a GT, cards were put on the table.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
THE MOVE podcast team is doing something VERY interesting for La Vuelta

Lance isn't in it [not yet, anyway]

JB and Johann are one one feed, in English, while Johann and Víctor Hugo Peña are on another feed in Spanish!!!

They did this for the Giro--the JB and JB show for each stage--they said it was so successful and that they had so many requests from Spanish speakers that they were going to try to find a Spanish speaking host for the Vuelta. I guess the Columbian success has caused a big following!
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see Aru back in the mix yesterday.
I wonder if there is hope of some type of a comeback.

Super nice guy. Different, but really nice guy.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
De Gendt goes again.

When the pace picks up the sprinters in the back are like, sheeeit, is De Gendt going again????
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang Higuita has a good sprint for a climby-type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Nice to see Aru back in the mix yesterday.
I wonder if there is hope of some type of a comeback.

Super nice guy. Different, but really nice guy.

that iliac artery thing really threw a wrench in the works; good to see him back

btw, do you work for Argon? We actually just bought a Dark Matter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't Bennett have a contract for next year yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
[
btw, do you work for Argon? We actually just bought a Dark Matter

No. I was the founder of Notio which is a subsidiary of Argon.
But I don't work for Notio or Argon anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha;

really looking forward to someone actually delivering a CdA measurement device to market. that's be really neat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
gotcha;

really looking forward to someone actually delivering a CdA measurement device to market. that's be really neat

I don't want to derail this thread but here's my take on it.
You have Golden Cheetah and Aerolab. Under very specific conditions (no little wind, closed loop, no braking...) you can get very good CDA numbers
In the perfect world, you should be able to test anytime, any conditions, no restrictions, brake when you need to.....and get equally good numbers instantaneously
The state of technology is somewhere between the two. The conditions imposed are less and less.

But you can see the perfect world is not far away and when we get there it opens up a bunch of possibilities we haven't started to really discuss. I'm still obsessed on getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering about this as well.

He's at the peak of his powers, so will be asking for a hefty salary. Teams might not have the budget. I only see Viviani being paid more because of his better one-day record. I think Gaviria is on about 2M euro, don't know what Viviani earns.

Very modest and laid-back guy. People tend to underestimate him. Has been with his team for many years. He's from a small country and doesn't have the marketing appeal that Cav, Groenewegen, Ewan or Viviani have.

Will be demanding a guaranteed start at the Tour de France and a solid leadout team. Teams may balk at this.

Possibility that teams may not like his agent.

I think that DQS would be the best fit for him but may not have the funds to meet his demands.They already have Jakobsen and Hodeg who are very good prospects. Bennett's personality and background would appeal to Belgians a lot, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunate to be that good and third sting on your team. That’s more or less devaluing his place among the elite sprint ranks but hopefully he’ll get his due next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
... We actually just bought a Dark Matter

Yeah, you and 25% of the Universe ...
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viviani is moving to Cofidis, so presumably that opens up both space and budget at DQS. Agree that would be the best fit for him, and I don't necessarily think he would insist on being a TdF starter. Seems like a guy who just wants to know he's on a level playing field and will get the opportunities that his form deserves. Think he was frustrated that he felt Ackermann was being selected ahead of him at the Giro more due to his nationality than anything else.

Could also see Bennett being a useful team guy and possibly even a one day threat. There was an interview with him a while back where he said he'd switched up his training to doing a lot more volume as he'd found that that really suited him. So could be well suited to being more of an all rounder and not just a guy for the last 500m.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruynel mentionned Bennett would go to DQS
Cort is off to EF but apparently was in talks with DQS.

He will be missed. What a hoot. Talk about a guy not afraid to say what he thinks.
Actually all the Danes are like that. They just say what they think. Unfiltered. I laughed when Trump got all bent out of shape when the Danish PM used the word 'absurd'
He should try a team meeting with Valgren, Fuglsang and Cort.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DQS definitely makes sense for every sprinter, since I can’t think of one sprinter that hasn’t been great with them. Only problem is dollar bills or euros, DQS doesn’t have a huge budget and always has to make hard decisions. Now will the LFF and Remco those will be some big bucks and that doesn’t leave much cash for a big time sprinter.

Unfortunately I don’t see Bennett signing with a big team, since every sprinter team has a big sprinter. Probably will sign with a second division team like Israel cycling. Stinks for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I'm doing 1200km per year, but I am not riding 20,000km and running 3000km like he probably is.

But you aren't a turd :-)

There is only one turd here mates. Been away for a bit. Glad to rejoin the Vuelta threads.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
Probably will sign with a second division team like Israel cycling. Stinks for him.

Wouldn't Dimension Data like to unload Cav and get him? (though I don't know if that's contractually possible).

Does Trek really think Theuns is the answer? Sunweb doesn't want someone to mentor Walscheid?

May not be able to get him the Viviani dollars that he's worth, but seem like good fits otherwise.

Edit: Ah, just saw marcag saying DQS, which of course makes perfect sense.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 27, 19 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Why doesn't Bennett have a contract for next year yet?

I thought Bennett had already inked Bennett, it just wasn't formerly announced. ??? That was being reported here in the beginning of the Tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Dang Higuita has a good sprint for a climby-type.

Don't know if you've seen much of him, but he is an unbelievably good sprinter as well as a superb descender. Valverde-esque punch with better descending skills.
Quote Reply

Prev Next