Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a sap at all, always like to see the “little guys” get a win in one of the big tours. Especially when it’s a home rider.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love seeing these guys stay away and getting some, every time
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other news, stage 8 gave new meaning to term “pro cycling bust”
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 4, 19 20:28
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
someone's paying attention :)

And someone's probably not very fun at parties. Who does that? Apparently it's not illegal to grow or use....it was mostly a permit violation.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 4, 19 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought was just Floyd’s Leadville altitude camp.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Am I the only total sap here that shed a sentimental tear over a journeyman rider on a Basque team taking a stage in home mountains?

(And Euskadi's team spokesman claims they're very close to a sponsorship deal that would keep them racing in 2020)

not at all

Football and cycling has special meaning in the Basque Country. One could easily well up reading about either sport in the Basque Country

McNulty wrote:
love seeing these guys stay away and getting some, every time
yep, indeed. Always root for the brakeaway, especially on stages when the odds are stacked against the break

plifter242 wrote:
Not a sap at all, always like to see the “little guys” get a win in one of the big tours. Especially when it’s a home rider.
Agreed

it wasn't just a Spanish rider winning a stage in Spain. It was a Basque rider winning a stage in the Basque Country (all the "tx" in place names is a give away)

for decades, due to the political situation in the Basque Country (mainly terrorist threats from ETA), la Vuelta didn't actually visit the Basque Country, despite it being a region mad for cycling. Hemingway even dedicated a few paragraphs to the Tour of the Basque Country in The Sun also Rises (see below). It wasn't until 2011 that la Vuelta made its return; fittingly enough a Basque rider on Euskatel won that stage.

Following from The Sun also Rises, via http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/...-the-basque-country/
Quote:
There was a bicycle-race on, the Tour du Pays Basque, and the riders were stopping that night in San Sebastian.

In the dining-room, at one side, there was a long table of bicycle-riders, eating with their trainers and managers. They were all French and Belgians, and paid close attention to their meal, but they were having a good time. At the head of the table were two good-looking French girls, with much Rue du Faubourg Montmartre chic. I could not make out whom they belonged to. They all spoke in slang at the long table and there were many private jokes and some jokes at the far end that were not repeated when the girls asked to hear them.
The next morning at five o’clock the race resumed with the last lap, San Sebastian-Bilbao. The bicycle- riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among them-selves. They had raced among themselves so often that it did not make much difference who won. Especially in a foreign country. The money could be arranged.

The man who had a matter of two minutes lead in the race had an attack of boils, which were very painful. He sat on the small of his back. His neck was very red and the blond hairs were sunburned. The other riders joked him about his boils. He tapped on the table with his fork.
‘Listen,’ he said, ‘tomorrow my nose is so tight on the handle- bars that the only thing touches those boils is a lovely breeze.’

One of the girls looked at him down the table, and he grinned and turned red. The Spaniards, they said, did not know how to pedal.
I had coffee out on the terrasse with the team manager of one of the big bicycle manufacturers. He said it had been a very pleasant race, and would have been worth watching if Bottecchia had not abandoned it at Pamplona. The dust had been bad, but in Spain the roads were better than in France. Bicycle road-racing was the only sport in the world, he said. Had I ever followed the Tour de France? Only in the papers. The Tour de France was the greatest sporting event in the world. Following and organizing the road races had made him know France. Few people know France. All spring and all summer and all fall he spent on the road with bicycle road-racers. Look at the number of motor-cars now that followed the riders from town to town in a road race. It was a rich country and more sportif every year. It would be the most sportif country in the world. It was bicycle road-racing did it.
That and football. He knew France. La France Sportive. He knew road-racing. We had a cognac. After all, though, it wasn’t bad to get back to Paris. There is only one Paname. In all the world, that is. Paris is the town the most sportif in the world. Did I know the Chope de Negre? Did I not. I would see him there some time. I certainly would. We would drink another fine together. We certainly would. They started at six o’clock less a quarter in the morning. Would I be up for the depart? I would certainly try to. Would I like him to call me? It was very interesting. I would leave a call at the desk. He would not mind calling me. I could not let him take the trouble. I would leave a call at the desk. We said good-bye until the next morning.

In the morning when I awoke the bicycle-riders and their following cars had been on the road for three hours. I had coffee and the papers in bed and then dressed and took my bathing-suit down to the beach.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for that - do not remember that in the book at all and i've read it 3 times albeit the last time
must have been 30+yrs ago. (had to write a paper on it or lit class/college)

super cool to see local riders win, sitting on edge of coach yesterday screaming "come on- hold on"

didn't get to see todays stage but happy for Gilbert. read he has deep appreciation for Basque love of cycling
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those chasers did all they could to bring Gilbert back. The bigger rider was blown.
Phil Gil looks good for WC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was thinking the same. He's climbing well and has that nasty kick on the punchy stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Was thinking the same. He's climbing well and has that nasty kick on the punchy stuff.

This profile today looks like a troubling ekg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21k to go and entire Astana team still there while it looks like Jumbo has Roglic + maybe 3.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man this climb looks savage. I might need to take the day off work after watching this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That climb was a beast! The 5ish% of my heritage from Slovenian is singing today, great stage by Roglic and Pogacar!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice ride by Powless today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hell with Colombians, Slovenians are tearing the Vuelta to pieces.

Roglic looks like he learned the Giro lesson in measuring efforts. He looks in complete control and getting stronger as race goes on.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Sep 6, 19 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like the Vuelta has become the place to make up for Giro mistakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
The hell with Colombians, Slovenians are tearing the Vuelta to pieces.

Roglic looks like he learned the Giro lesson in measuring efforts. He looks in complete control and getting stronger as race goes on.

He's handling the 25% goat tracks well. Looks like a done deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing to watch the peloton of 180 or so riders zipping through city streets, and most of the time they make it.

Not so good today. Surprising that more riders don't get seriously hurt when they end up on the ground like this.

Looking forward to the next two stages.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope Kuss hangs on
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
hope Kuss hangs on

KKUUUUUUUSSSSS!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved the MTB-style high fives in the last 300m. Pure joy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F*cking awesome. Another good ride by Craddock too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
That was awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: *** 2019 Vuelta a Espana Thread (SPOILERS)*** [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
trail wrote:
That was awesome.

Sep!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

That was spectacular.
Quote Reply

Prev Next