Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
We're 100 days from Paris!!!

Anyone want to predict the podium with me at this point? Just a bit of fun to see how wrong we can get it.

1. Potter
2. GTB
3. Waugh

1. Yee
2. Wilde
3. Blum

MTR

1. GB
2. France
3. Germany

Come at me!!!

I like your picks, and I like that they don't show your bias at all :-)
Too bad there was only one GB man to choose from!

With that said, you could still end up being right.

My picks:

Yee
Wilde
Vilaca (but I think Pearson is a big podium contender too, and this assumes the French attempt at getting away on the swim-bike doesn't work)

Potter
GTB
Beaugrand

Germany
France
GB
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll go with:

1. Duffy
2. Lindemann
3. Potter

1. Bergere
2. Yee
3. Coninx

1. Germany
2. France
3. GB
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
Based on recent form, Waugh is the clear number two and it'll be between GTB and Coldwell for the third spot. For me the selection is not just for Paris 2024 but also for LA 2028. Lombardi will probably be at her peak by then and Waugh is their closest athlete at that age and level that they have. Not getting in the Paris team will set her back vs Lombardi.
I can sort of agree with this, I couldn't help thinking seeing Waugh and Lombardi thinking this is the future of women's Tri here for the next Olympics. I'm not sure GB selectors will go with a development pick though, there's too much funding on the line with medals.
If they think GTB and Coldwell have better medal potential then they'll go with those two.
Lombardi looked really good! Has she already qualified for Paris?
Admittedly I am an armchair old fart but if I was picking the teams now based on what we have seen so far this season I would go:

Potter/GTB/Waugh - GTB in Lieven the other week shows she is almost back to her best, another couple of months running and she is a medal contender. Potter showed her true prowess this weekend and is a clear MTR potential and individual medal contender. Waugh based on her beating Coldwell and her end of season last year.
Coverage of the Lombardi/Waugh/Coldwell race:
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...riathlon-cup-melilla
Interviews at 1:01:56
Almost zero spectators!
The GTB v Waugh v Coldwell pick for slots #2 and #3 will be down to Cagliari, with Coldwell likely to miss out, on current and latter half of 2023 form. Waugh consistently takes 30 seconds out of her (over 10km; 22 seconds in Melilla over 5km).
https://triathlon.org/...riathlon_cup_melilla
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
Based on recent form, Waugh is the clear number two and it'll be between GTB and Coldwell for the third spot. For me the selection is not just for Paris 2024 but also for LA 2028. Lombardi will probably be at her peak by then and Waugh is their closest athlete at that age and level that they have. Not getting in the Paris team will set her back vs Lombardi.
I can sort of agree with this, I couldn't help thinking seeing Waugh and Lombardi thinking this is the future of women's Tri here for the next Olympics. I'm not sure GB selectors will go with a development pick though, there's too much funding on the line with medals.
If they think GTB and Coldwell have better medal potential then they'll go with those two.

Admittedly I am an armchair old fart but if I was picking the teams now based on what we have seen so far this season I would go:

Potter/GTB/Waugh - GTB in Lieven the other week shows she is almost back to her best, another couple of months running and she is a medal contender. Potter showed her true prowess this weekend and is a clear MTR potential and individual medal contender. Waugh based on her beating Coldwell and her end of season last year.

Almost zero spectators!
The GTB v Waugh v Coldwell pick for slots #2 and #3 will be down to Cagliari, with Coldwell likely to miss out, on current and latter half of 2023 form. Waugh consistently takes 30 seconds out of her (over 10km; 22 seconds in Melilla over 5km).

You are aware that her best is the silver medal over 1500/40k/10k? this gimmicky indoor mini tri hardly shows that she is at the same level of fitness as in 2021. it shows she has made good progress recovering from her injuries but let's not get carried away here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Almost zero spectators!

You are aware that her best is the silver medal over 1500/40k/10k? this gimmicky indoor mini tri hardly shows that she is at the same level of fitness as in 2021. it shows she has made good progress recovering from her injuries but let's not get carried away here.

You are aware I said give her another couple of MONTHS to get back to full fitness?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Almost zero spectators!

You are aware I said give her another couple of MONTHS to get back to full fitness?

yes, which makes what your wrote even more nonsensical. you think her indoor result shows she is almost back to silver medal form and then in a couple of more months she will only be back to being a medal contender. again, lieven doesn't indicate much of anything. quartereira is what you should be pointing to as indicating that she has recovered well. she outran everyone there except CB and tertsch in an early season full 10k.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:
Based on recent form, Waugh is the clear number two and it'll be between GTB and Coldwell for the third spot.
I can sort of agree with this, [but] If they think GTB and Coldwell have better medal potential then they'll go with those two.

<ShreidanTris>: Admittedly I am an armchair old fart but if I was picking the teams now based on what we have seen so far this season I would go:
<Ajax bay>: The GTB v Waugh v Coldwell pick for slots #2 and #3 will be down to Cagliari, with Coldwell likely to miss out, on current and latter half of 2023 form.
I am. and I'm sure @SheridanTris is 'aware' too. Yet I think their opinion of GTB is reasonable: "another couple of months running and she is a medal contender". I can see BriTri relying on GTB for Leg 2 (whoever is the other pick, besides Potter) and GBR are a locked on 'contender' for an MTR medal and a good bet to retain their Olympic relay title.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be watching Wollongong World Cup now if it worked. Is anybody else being shot out of the live feed after a few seconds?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can watch about 10 seconds and then it kicks me out…
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
I can watch about 10 seconds and then it kicks me out…

I’m now watching with a lag (15 minutes behind) and it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep… me too… though just a 45 second lag. Saw the finish so I won’t spoil it for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Almost zero spectators!

yes, which makes what your wrote even more nonsensical. you think her indoor result shows she is almost back to silver medal form and then in a couple of more months she will only be back to being a medal contender. again, lieven doesn't indicate much of anything. quartereira is what you should be pointing to as indicating that she has recovered well. she outran everyone there except CB and tertsch in an early season full 10k.

I think you are just trying to troll now.

GTB fell out of love with Tri due to events away from racing. Then just as she got her hunger back she had a serious calf injury. She has only just started running again. There is +100 days to the womens race. She is back healthy and hungry.

What exactly do you mean that her “best” is just an Olympic silver? Since when is Olympic silver a “just” medal? BTW she also has an Olympic Gold but hey oh! That and former World Champ, she is a big race performer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wollongong: Rainsley in front pack (of 8) managed to turn to finish/T2 rather than carry on on Lap 1 and dropped two packs.
(Not seen by commentators, who talked about her 'fading' after T1.)
With Klamer et al worked back to the main/lead pack of ?30 for the ride
Edit: Great sprint finish.
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...ollongong-women-2024
Men: https://www.triathlonlive.tv/.../wollongong-men-2024
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 21, 24 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GTB also "just" got that silver medal finishing the bike on a flat tyre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
mag900 wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
mag900 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Almost zero spectators!

I think you are just trying to troll now.

GTB fell out of love with Tri due to events away from racing. Then just as she got her hunger back she had a serious calf injury. She has only just started running again. There is +100 days to the womens race. She is back healthy and hungry.

What exactly do you mean that her “best” is just an Olympic silver? Since when is Olympic silver a “just” medal? BTW she also has an Olympic Gold but hey oh! That and former World Champ, she is a big race performer.

Now I think you are trolling. I never used the word "just" -- I said that her "best" is 2nd in the Olympics, which is about as good as you can get (other than the gold) I questioned your post that was doing cart wheels over a gimmicky indoor tri, which doesn't mean much of anything, and your nonsensical observation that she almost back to her "best" (your word), which is a silver in the Olympics. No, she is not back to her Olympic silver days simply because she did well in a silly indoor tri. Might she get back to that level of fitness? That's what will make the next 3 months so interesting. I will be rooting for her but I will not say in April after a LONG layoff she is back to 2nd in the world fitness just because she looked good in a gimmicky indoor tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you read this on her social media?
Or did you see it,?
Was she the only one that went the wrong way,?
Social l media implies she also crashed on her bike when trying to correct
That all makes a 10th place finish pretty good 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Did you read this on her social media?
Or did you see it,?
Was she the only one that went the wrong way,?
Social l media implies she also crashed on her bike when trying to correct
That all makes a 10th place finish pretty good 😊
I actually saw this live (on screen) and scrolled back to check what I'd seen. She was pushing the lead pack with the Czech immediately before the divide (jus after a roundabout, right for laps, left for T2 which is where I saw one cyclist go left (and the rest keep right)). Suddenly she'd disappeared from FP and a minute or two later we saw her with Klamer in 2nd chase pack.
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...ollongong-women-2024 at 12.06 on the race clock.

Jenkins repeated the 'must have faded' reason a couple of times: it was clear they didn't know. In fact just after she erred, they wished her a 'belated' happy birthday (from Friday!!)
I don't know whether/how she turned round to get back on course (ie with or without a (minor) crash). It would have taken at least 20 seconds (erring at high speed and on blue carpet) so the loss of time was about right.
A likely result of this was that the FP without her drive lost impetus and were caught.
She ran 17:32, maybe a bit dischuffed with herself for the error. I could see her running to a win from a front 9 that stayed away if she'd kept on track. 17:34 in Hong Kong (with Holland on 17:01).
https://www.triathlon.org/...up_wollongong/629211
I thought the bike course promises to be great for next year's WTCS Final.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 21, 24 1:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, could see that when I looked for it.
She did well to come 10th considering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good stuff .
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was listening to the Fitter Radio podcast today (NZ based coaches) and they talked about Yee being injured.

I also noticed that preliminary start lists for Cagliari are posted.

Women - https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627960
Men - https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627959
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
I was listening to the Fitter Radio podcast today (NZ based coaches) and they talked about Yee being injured.

Interesting about Yee, if true. Those Cagliari lists don't seem like they are complete!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Interesting about Yee, if true. Those Cagliari lists don't seem like they are complete!?

Looks like GB Tri aren’t even trying to qualify a 3rd male.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
Looks like GB Tri aren’t even trying to qualify a 3rd male.
In practice, both Brownlee and Izzard would have to gain at least 500 OQ points. Minimal chance even if they tried. And the last thing BruTri wants is to break Brownlee. Not vital for the MTR (several others could manage and still keep GBR in the medal hunt) but for sure the banker option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea how tough is the current Cagliari bike course is? I believe the old sprint course was considered rigorous but don't get a feel from the overhead view of this year's course.

Thanks

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Historically, this race had gone up into the hills and was a challenging bike course but I believe this year’s course is a repeat of last year with beach laps.

This race will be a key selection event for GB Triathlon so that’s why you’re seeing all the GB Olympic contenders women on that start line, in contrast to athletes like Taylor-Brown and Coldwell skipping Yokohama.

I asked USAT why they selected Yokohama vs Cagliari as a selection race and its related to the beach start in Cagliari which doesn’t mimic the pontoon start in Paris.
Quote Reply

Prev Next