Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether you like it or not, 2023 actually does matter for the discretionary pick//

Its not a matter of liking it or not, and personally I'm not invested emotionally like you have been. Weren't you the one at the beginning saying Gwen had virtually no chance at making this team? Seems like you're take fell by the wayside, and it is going to be a coin flip on "this" seasons results. Not my choice, or my like, just the way it is setting up to be in reality. And Gwen fanboy, come on now, go check my posts since that very first day she announced,. I have been a non biased observer the entire time, just calling the shots as they happened, sometimes for and sometimes against, but always based on what was going on. You took your radical no position from the get go, and now may have to eat your earlier words. Which is ok too, debate is why we come here to banter, but at least man up and admit your "never" making the team stance has changed drastically since those early days.

For me it is just all very interesting and exciting, basically throwing a blanket over those two past stars as to who will be on the team. And I agree, the top 3 for an AQ is just too stringent, we really need to get our ladies on the team earlier so they can focus more on the actual games, and not peaking months before just to take their shots...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Gwen had 3 chances at world series level not once did she perform there as swim and bike was to weak last year.//

Dude, that was last year, right after she had a baby. So she like Katie, should have this time to make her case, not based off of the time right after giving birth. I think that the stage has been set now by the selectors, and I believe it to be as fair as possible. Of course sides can quibble over this and that, but they each now have their shot to prove themselves in the time period that really matters. And they have both now had enough time to get to 100% fitness, whatever that holds for them in their lives now..

Would it be nice to have more data points to look at, for sure. But this is where we are at, and it really is going to be an all or nothing for each in their upcoming races. I just hope Spivey is back to her old form or better, she really has not had a chance this year to show she is still on her usual form. One that should put her on the team, and certainly on the MTR team..

dude where do i talk about 2024.you even highlight yourself my point was last year ...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“ Weren't you the one at the beginning saying Gwen had virtually no chance at making this team? Seems like you're take fell by the wayside, and it is going to be a coin flip on "this" seasons results. Not my choice, or my like, just the way it is setting up to be in reality. And Gwen fanboy, come on now, go check my posts since that very first day she announced,. I have been a non biased observer the entire time,”

Yea, as a resident Gwen Fanboy, I feel like you’ve been pretty level headed about this, which is basically always your style.

The most strident “gwen has no shot” poster has passed away. At a young age with kids. Which should serve as a reminder that this stuff should just remain fun. Steve should have taken me up on the 50-1 bet on the condition that I pay him upfront!
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
sfjab wrote:
The start list for Cagliari has updated and it looks like Zaferes is now on the start list instead of Jorgensen... I assume this is a USAT decision to sub out. https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627960
Kyle.glass wrote:
It was a USAT decision to remove Gwen and sub in Katie. It’s disgusting.
The USA's best team may include Zaferes and making sure she gets one full distance race to show how competitive she is is a very reasonable USAT choice decision. I really wonder why they didn't sub out Kaspar or indeed Rappaport for her (KZ). The chance of either being selected is close to zero, whereas GJ has a clear chance - perhaps they'll sub her back in for one of those after Yokohama (do not know whether that's procedurally possible).

The GB five are there in strength with breath held for GTB to show she's back up to medal challenger status and Waugh hoping to confirm her place. Germany too have all their weapons and the French are just going with their Olympic 3 (assumed). I wonder why Linn is not in there for Australia - why is Hoitink racing?

Jorgensen has Yokohama to show her mettle and 'where she's at' at WTCS level. Zaferes needs a similar chance, and sensibly USAT has arranged that she'll get it in Cagliari. USAT sensibly want to avoid the vagaries of WT Rankings scores cutting off their selection options: fine margins. GJ's eventual selection would be a hail mary (band of sisters in T2) option, with Spivey (if fit) locking down MTR Leg 2. If Zaferes, Olympic medallist, can show she is right up there, she is the better pick who, if Spivey or Knibb wobble, is also a great option for Leg 2.

Linn is ranked 79th so likely on the wait list, Hoitink is ranked 64th so made it on by her own ranking. She also won the Oceania champs and was best Aus female at Wollongong world cup so deserves her spot. McShane is next Aus to roll on ranked 70th. Maybe Aus will sub her for Linn, or Linn is hoping to auto qualify in Yokohama and then train through until Paris, she doesn't race much, had a good ranking due to the Egames 2023.

As Australia have qualified a relay, they will have two female slots at the Olympics. Linn is probably already nearly 100% sure to be the 1st pick (unless she gets injured). Who do you take with her? All the other Aussie women have kind of disappointed and have flaws. Jaz was a great hope but hasn't been able to break through at all, quite the opposite her and her sister have kind of regressed in the last 12 months or so. McShane just announced her retirement from Triathlon, has battled injuries for years. Nat (Van Coevorden) and Emma (Jeffcoat) can swim front pack, but again have not shown form this year at all.

Ellie (Hoitink) is the current breakthrough athlete, and based on form this year could well be the answer for that 2nd spot. She left it quite late but there's nobody else really.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
For what it's worth he was consistently posting runs from their Gold Coast camp in his Strava up until February, but went silent since then until he posted last week.

Didn't know he was on Strava, looks like he had a month off running through the whole of March and then registered his first run two days ago, I'm guessing he had to be injured?

Edit he's not registered anything else through March, looks like he generally only puts his runs on there though?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Whether you like it or not, 2023 actually does matter for the discretionary pick//

Its not a matter of liking it or not, and personally I'm not invested emotionally like you have been. Weren't you the one at the beginning saying Gwen had virtually no chance at making this team? Seems like you're take fell by the wayside, and it is going to be a coin flip on "this" seasons results. Not my choice, or my like, just the way it is setting up to be in reality. And Gwen fanboy, come on now, go check my posts since that very first day she announced,. I have been a non biased observer the entire time, just calling the shots as they happened, sometimes for and sometimes against, but always based on what was going on. You took your radical no position from the get go, and now may have to eat your earlier words. Which is ok too, debate is why we come here to banter, but at least man up and admit your "never" making the team stance has changed drastically since those early days.

For me it is just all very interesting and exciting, basically throwing a blanket over those two past stars as to who will be on the team. And I agree, the top 3 for an AQ is just too stringent, we really need to get our ladies on the team earlier so they can focus more on the actual games, and not peaking months before just to take their shots...

I was one of the many on here who said that women's triathlon has gotten exponentially more competitive since 2016 and the days of spotting the field 60 plus seconds and then running them down are long history so she is toast absent dramatic improvements in the swim and bike. Nothing has changed since then (clinging to the back of the bike or running down the leaders in a World Cup race is not the same thing as competing with the top women in a WTCS race). There has been a long off season with no AD so we all will find out in 2 weeks who had a strong off season and who didn't.
Last edited by: mag900: Apr 28, 24 23:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max Stapley just won in China out running a strong group of 4 including Schomberg.

I said last year he is our best chance on the MTR and everyone laughed at me. Not laughing now bitches ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside I have no faith in Brownlee this year, he has avoided racing and the few results he does have have been terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
sfjab wrote:
The start list for Cagliari has updated and it looks like Zaferes is now on the start list instead of Jorgensen... I assume this is a USAT decision to sub out. https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...ries_cagliari/627960
Kyle.glass wrote:
It was a USAT decision to remove Gwen and sub in Katie. It’s disgusting.
The USA's best team may include Zaferes and making sure she gets one full distance race to show how competitive she is is a very reasonable USAT choice decision. I really wonder why they didn't sub out Kaspar or indeed Rappaport for her (KZ). The chance of either being selected is close to zero, whereas GJ has a clear chance - perhaps they'll sub her back in for one of those after Yokohama (do not know whether that's procedurally possible).

The GB five are there in strength with breath held for GTB to show she's back up to medal challenger status and Waugh hoping to confirm her place. Germany too have all their weapons and the French are just going with their Olympic 3 (assumed). I wonder why Linn is not in there for Australia - why is Hoitink racing?

Jorgensen has Yokohama to show her mettle and 'where she's at' at WTCS level. Zaferes needs a similar chance, and sensibly USAT has arranged that she'll get it in Cagliari. USAT sensibly want to avoid the vagaries of WT Rankings scores cutting off their selection options: fine margins. GJ's eventual selection would be a hail mary (band of sisters in T2) option, with Spivey (if fit) locking down MTR Leg 2. If Zaferes, Olympic medallist, can show she is right up there, she is the better pick who, if Spivey or Knibb wobble, is also a great option for Leg 2.

Linn is ranked 79th so likely on the wait list, Hoitink is ranked 64th so made it on by her own ranking. She also won the Oceania champs and was best Aus female at Wollongong world cup so deserves her spot. McShane is next Aus to roll on ranked 70th. Maybe Aus will sub her for Linn, or Linn is hoping to auto qualify in Yokohama and then train through until Paris, she doesn't race much, had a good ranking due to the Egames 2023.

As Australia have qualified a relay, they will have two female slots at the Olympics. Linn is probably already nearly 100% sure to be the 1st pick (unless she gets injured). Who do you take with her? All the other Aussie women have kind of disappointed and have flaws. Jaz was a great hope but hasn't been able to break through at all, quite the opposite her and her sister have kind of regressed in the last 12 months or so. McShane just announced her retirement from Triathlon, has battled injuries for years. Nat (Van Coevorden) and Emma (Jeffcoat) can swim front pack, but again have not shown form this year at all.

Ellie (Hoitink) is the current breakthrough athlete, and based on form this year could well be the answer for that 2nd spot. She left it quite late but there's nobody else really.

It was Emma Jackson who announced her retirement not McShane. Last time I looked McShane was on the start list of Yokohama. She isn’t at her best and is coming off an horrific injury (think she lost 2 seasons).
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, sorry, yes it was Emma indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Max Stapley just won in China out running a strong group of 4 including Schomberg.

I said last year he is our best chance on the MTR and everyone laughed at me. Not laughing now bitches ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Joking aside I have no faith in Brownlee this year, he has avoided racing and the few results he does have have been terrible.

Based on his superleague last year, I thought Jonny was our best option, until he races this year though (don't think he has done a Tri as he?) It's difficult to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with this especially if the goal is to have someone help Yee in the swim and bike while keeping the gap close for the MTR. Stapley had a pretty good audition for that role during the grand final although it didn't quite work out. That being said, I would still take Brownlee for the MTR. He had a crappy season last year showed flashes during the superleague series. He just needs to show up fit and healthy on August 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
I agree with this especially if the goal is to have someone help Yee in the swim and bike while keeping the gap close for the MTR. Stapley had a pretty good audition for that role during the grand final although it didn't quite work out. That being said, I would still take Brownlee for the MTR. He had a crappy season last year showed flashes during the superleague series. He just needs to show up fit and healthy on August 5.

GBR haven’t qualified a 3rd male so it will have to be one or the other. I wouldn’t take that risk on Brownlee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m sure travelling reserves and ‘illness’ (real or slightly imagined), will be used by countries with only two athletes in the individual - or at least they will heavily consider using them.
Last edited by: dannyboyjim: Apr 29, 24 3:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:

I think considering Stapley’s swim and his run form atm he should be the clear favourite for the MTR
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

I think considering Stapley’s swim and his run form atm he should be the clear favourite for the MTR

Stapley is now ranked 37 for WTCS and 70 for Olympic ranking. If he gets subbed in for the 2 WTCS races can he get into top 50?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Stapley is now ranked 37 for WTCS and 70 for Olympic ranking. If he gets subbed in for the 2 WTCS races can he get into top 50?

Technically yes. He needs 700 points out of those, as he has a 0 and a 15.88 points as worst results to discard in the period.
It would mean though 2 massive races, like either a top 5/6 or 2 top 15s, at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
new zealand has now 3 guys qualified as it stands and it looks good for them to hold that.

as for stapley would the fed swallow their pride and take a guy that is not even funded by the fed , either way they will look like not having done a great job not getting 3 males at 2 consecutive Olympics . its a bit sad when a british short court athlete has to thank bahrain for his success.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
new zealand has now 3 guys qualified as it stands and it looks good for them to hold that.

as for stapley would the fed swallow their pride and take a guy that is not even funded by the fed , either way they will look like not having done a great job not getting 3 males at 2 consecutive Olympics . its a bit sad when a british short court athlete has to thank bahrain for his success.
It was pretty clear by his celebration and also by all the insta posts/tags…
Also supported by Joe Skipper, another one fighting British triathlon…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
pk wrote:

It was pretty clear by his celebration and also by all the insta posts/tags…
Also supported by Joe Skipper, another one fighting British triathlon…

I really don’t like NGBs but Joe Skipper fighting British Triathlon is a joke. I don’t think he is even a member of GB Tri is he? He spit his dummy out because he didn’t understand the rules about LC Worlds. He switched to US Tri because he thought it was going to be cheaper and easier not because he has any allegiance to either country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
I said last year he is our best chance on the MTR and everyone laughed at me. Not laughing now bitches ha ha!!!!!!!!!!! Joking aside I have no faith in Brownlee this year, he has avoided racing and the few results he does have have been terrible.
https://tri-today.com/2024/04/max-stapley-and-julie-derron-strike-during-run-and-win-world-triathlon-cup-chengdu/
I'm still laughing at that idea (not you). The BriTri selectors will not consider Stapley the "best chance". I and the majority (I reckon) have faith in Brownlee: he just has to establish his fitness.
Yee can look after himself: exiting T1 he will be up with many motivated athletes, and a Brit chaperone will be nugatory.
Månsson impressive, for an under-20!
Though Derron and her 10km were pedestrian, in the elite scheme of things (assume an accurate 10km) (34:25 and 35:10)
Holm ran 31:06 - fastest in the men's race.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mansons swim was impressive today

italian females look like they will have a team of 3 in paris as well and with seretni one of the key swimmers for paris.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, Julie Derron is a very consistent athlete, always making top 10s in the series or podium in world cups... she is one of my dark horses for Paris. Mansson is very young and she has improved a lot...she will be a top contender the 28´olympics is she goes on in this way.
So, do you think Stapley will make the team then? before Izzard and JB? Interesting to see that.

pk wrote:
mansons swim was impressive today

italian females look like they will have a team of 3 in paris as well and with seretni one of the key swimmers for paris.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would say if johny says he is fit he will go . but i would also think if he is not fit he will not go anf then they do not have that many options at the end of the day they have no 2nd male that can perform at world series level consistently .

of course manson is no thread for paris but i can not think of a 19 year old that races so smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
pier87 wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

Who can they sub him in for, they don't have many in the field. Stapley run form, he beat a group of swim bikers, renowned for their weaker runs. Doesn't necessary put him above Brownlee run ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:

The other benefit is Max is also French, so a bit of home crowd support for GB perhaps :-) (tall order)
Quote Reply

Prev Next