Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
monty wrote:
And here is another guy I used to train with in the pool in the 90's while he was working towards his triathlon olympic dream, 3;55 mile and 13;24 5k..

https://worldathletics.org/...eg-whiteley-14254786

And we have guys that ran much faster miles than he did too!!! Low 3;50's as I recall...

And all before super shoes too, so handicapped maybe a 13;15???

I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither. I was meaning pro triathletes, but in a long basis and competing in the big races (not a former athlete turned a sort of age grouper)... The brownlees and gomez have not recorded either better PBs than Wilde or Yee...so I could suspect Paris will be the fastest run ever in triathlon? I think they are quite even. Waiting to see Blummenfelt's shape after these months...I don't think none of the frenchmen will be close to the big 2.

they need to make the swim-bike incredibly hard to keep wilde-yee away.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither//

Ok, so discussion with you is only about who you think are the pros, not the actual pros that have raced the sport..You should have said up front that you cannot be wrong no matter what, and then you could carry on with your right thinking about your sport... Never mind those guys I mentioned, or Derek Kite, Benjamin Parades, or Alan Webb, most of who raced ITU for a time, some years, I guess they just dont count in our history since you were not around then.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I would not consider Motram as a pro triathlete at all, and the other american man you mentioned neither//

Ok, so discussion with you is only about who you think are the pros, not the actual pros that have raced the sport..You should have said up front that you cannot be wrong no matter what, and then you could carry on with your right thinking about your sport... Never mind those guys I mentioned, or Derek Kite, Benjamin Parades, or Alan Webb, most of who raced ITU for a time, some years, I guess they just dont count in our history since you were not around then.....

Mottram didn't run that time off of tri training.

Big difference.

And please don't start the "Athlete X from 1992 could have easily broken 29...."
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be as blind a the other poster, no need to say they could have, they did.. And this was just one guy that I happened to train with for a couple years while he was doing ITU, there were others, and with old plodding shoes;

Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty, did he run those times when he was training as a triathlete or as a runner?

mottram and webb ran their times as runners.

I understand Daniel Kowalski has done at least 1 triathlon. 1996 Summer Olympics he got 3 medals, 2 bronzes in 200 and 400 free and silver in 1500 free. Not sure if many people faster than him have done triathlons. This does not mean that triathlon has swimmers as fast the top elites. Lucy Charles would still get thrashed at an olympic level, yet she is one of the most dominant swimmers we have seen in triathlon history.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty, did he run those times when he was training as a triathlete or as a runner? //

Yes greg did those runs as a triathlete, at least the 13;24 5k in 1993. Look, none of these guys today just magically became top runners overnight, they all had run backgrounds at some point. Do we think Yee just did a 27;50 10k because he was a triathlete?? Lots of top racers come from a background in one of the other sports, and a rare few even get faster as a pro triathlete too.

But what are we really talking about here, is there some formula to discern if someone is eligible to be the fastest in one of the 3 sports, or should we just use the clock and the fact that they were/are pro triathletes? Does everyone presume that Hayden doesnt come from a run background?

There are now a group of pro triathletes that did come up through the 3 sport programs since they were nippers, but if you dig deep there, many also excelled at one of the sports and often pursue that sport individually. We had a super promising kid like that here, one of the fastest ever high school runners in history, and a scholarship runner at Oregon. But he was a triathlete first as a young kid, and just followed his dream of running, then to return to triathlon. Is a kid like that allowed to be in the conversations of fastest ever, I'm not sure where you all are drawing the lines of who gets in and who doesnt. Is there some rule it has to be during triathlon training too, fill me in and I can play by these rules..

And your guy Daniel isnt a pro triathlete just for doing 1 triathlon, give me some credit. The guys I'm talking about raced in pro races and had a go at making a living. So for swimmers you would have to go back to my day and it would be a guy named Djan Madruga. Pro triathlete for many, many years, and olympic finalist in several events and medal winner too. Did he win those medals triple training for triathlon, of course not, no one ever does that at that level. But it was shortly after those medals he became a pro, and his off the front swims were legendary, only accompanied by the likes of Paul Donahue or Rob Mackel...
Last edited by: monty: May 2, 24 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wilde played hockey as a kid as I understand it. No other single sport background
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his wiki page:

Growing up Wilde played soccer and hockey before moving into running for fitness.[10]

Wilde has been coached by Craig Kirkwood since 2016 after putting him to the sword and stealing $1000 prize from Kirkwood in a local half marathon[

Sounds more like a running background to me, after playing soccer and hockey as a young kid..And you may as well call soccer a running background too for a little kid, yes??
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
jcgiraSHT wrote:
I do not think he is french, just spent time there growing up, he speaks fluent french but even being born there is not enough to actually hold the citizenship.

His French mother would disagree with you, I think. His father is British, mum French, and he mostly grew up in Australia in Wollongong where his father is a professor at the university.

It is a bit complicated for French nationality. If he was born outside of France his mother would have had to register his birth with the French consulate in the country he was born and then request he be added to the livret de famille.

I am not saying he isn’t French because if his mother didn’t do that he could still become French.

My understanding is he gained a GB passport recently by decent as he couldn’t get an AUS passport by residence. So that would indicate that he did have a different nationality before his GB passport.

EDIT: He was born in France to a French mother so he is automatically French.

I can actually say that this process of giving my son the French citizenship was surprisingly easy and seamless :) In French only but highly recommend the podcast Le Tri Chaud (Season 2 - Episode 1) with an interview of Max Stapley, he was with the French federation as a junior for a short period of time. Looks like he butted head with a couple people including Julien Pousson, host of the show and coach of Dorian Coninx and Mathis Margirier. They share funny memories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
From his wiki page:

Growing up Wilde played soccer and hockey before moving into running for fitness.[10]

Wilde has been coached by Craig Kirkwood since 2016 after putting him to the sword and stealing $1000 prize from Kirkwood in a local half marathon[

Sounds more like a running background to me, after playing soccer and hockey as a young kid..And you may as well call soccer a running background too for a little kid, yes??

I think what would be a good criteria is fastest time run while also an elite triathlete let's use a world ranking of top 100 at the time. Or junior world champs .

And Craig mottram was certainly one of the best ever but the 12.55 defo does not count. The 13.24 would not suprise me
The issue with Craig is while he was defo a junior triathlete I can not find a single result for him in world triathlon so it would appear he never raced internationally.
So unless we get a international race result I would say he does not count.
And correct me but Alan webb never had the fastest run split in a decent triathlon field.

Lukaz that would be tight as his super fast run times where very close to triathlon ,he might have done under 23 worlds. But still also not a world series triathlete because of the unfortunate accident.
Last edited by: pk: May 3, 24 0:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You must be as blind a the other poster, no need to say they could have, they did.. And this was just one guy that I happened to train with for a couple years while he was doing ITU, there were others, and with old plodding shoes;

Again did he run 13:24 in plimsolls as a Triathlete (I.e swim/bike/run training)?

He did not. And you know this.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not mean to set a rule saying that the best PB belongs to X..... I know everyone has an opinion on this. Óf course we can compare Alan Webb and some other athletes to the best current triathletes´ PBs. Wilde, as a pro triathlete now, in his peak, has established the best PB for 5000m, training and being competitive as a triathlete. Of course, the boundaries for this are debatable: what about a guy who run sub 13m and had a triathlon background? what about a girl that is a triathlete as used to be a runner (Potter)? Well, up to each opinion. I would count the PBs now as current elite triathletes and would consider people like Potter when she was a runner because she can translate her background to triathlon. So, the fastest runners on paper now are Wilde, Yee and Pearson. If I am not wrong, amongst the females, the best PB is for Potter, then Jorgensen, Beaugraund and Lindemann if I am not wrong. However, we all know that a good "dry" run does not translate to a good triathlon run leg.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
I did not mean to set a rule saying that the best PB belongs to X..... I know everyone has an opinion on this. Óf course we can compare Alan Webb and some other athletes to the best current triathletes´ PBs. Wilde, as a pro triathlete now, in his peak, has established the best PB for 5000m, training and being competitive as a triathlete. Of course, the boundaries for this are debatable: what about a guy who run sub 13m and had a triathlon background? what about a girl that is a triathlete as used to be a runner (Potter)? Well, up to each opinion. I would count the PBs now as current elite triathletes and would consider people like Potter when she was a runner because she can translate her background to triathlon. So, the fastest runners on paper now are Wilde, Yee and Pearson. If I am not wrong, amongst the females, the best PB is for Potter, then Jorgensen, Beaugraund and Lindemann if I am not wrong. However, we all know that a good "dry" run does not translate to a good triathlon run leg.

Sodaro: 15:10 and 32:05
Jorgensen: 15:08 and 31:55
Potter: 15:28 and 32:03
Montgomery: 15:49 and 32:11
Beaugrand: 16:07 and 33:12 (road) (both from 2016 when she was only 19 years old)
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a 13.23 is huge...would be comparable to short 15m for 1500m freestyle... I dont think anybody can swim that fast in triathlon so, is it maybe the best single performance in swim, bike or run in recent times for a triathlete? I recall LCB's 16.04 for the 1500m freestyle and Knibb's performance in the TT american championships last year (4th).

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beth potter ran a road 5k of 14:41. When she first started doing Triathlon , by the way.
The only reason it wasn't ratified as a world record at the time , was because there were no drug testers present. The course was certified.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Jonnny has just done a podcast with someone, I haven't got time to listen to this at the moment, but maybe the answers to his mysterious weird Olympic build up is in here....

https://open.spotify.com/...uxlQvmEBoAPCVXHFg%0A

Waste of time really, the same interview he's done a 100 times about the Olympics and triathlon in general etc, he did say he's fit and ready to go to Paris and says he can do a great 3rd leg in the MTR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again did he run 13:24 in plimsolls as a Triathlete (I.e swim/bike/run training)?
He did not. And you know this. //

So you must be friends with Greg, were you down in lane #3 swimming with him? Because I was in that pool, albeit in lane #1, and watched him grind out day after day with an olympic dream in his head. Unfortunately for him, he never got past the 2nd pack, even though he did a couple years of two a day swims, and he just didnt have the special thing many triathlete runners have of running close to their stand alone runs..

Perhaps he took a couple days or weeks off before this run, but why dont you tell us exactly as you seem to know him a lot better than I did?? And since you know him so well, tell us about his poker career that got him through school back in the day, pretty entertaining story for sure...
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Beth Potter ran a road 5k of 14:41. When she first started doing Triathlon , by the way.
The only reason it wasn't ratified as a world record at the time, was because there were no drug testers present. The course was certified.
Was a great run (and surprised herself btw). But not 'when she first started': this was April 2021 and she'd been full on tri for years (limited BriTri help for years) and working up to her progress through 2022 and dominance in 2023 (with her swim ensuring gap out of T1 limited). With a 14:41 in your back pocket, it sure allows confidence and makes the opposition scrabble in an effort to find a tactic to gain advantage.
NB Brownlee junior ran 13:50 at the same April 2021 event ('Podium 5k') three months before his Olympic #5 (behind KB Yee Wilde and van Riel). Last named is racing T100 San Francisco btw, after Yokohama and Cagliari.
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: May 3, 24 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugo milner now on the start list for Yokohama
.will be interesting to see how he does
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex Yee raced in a French grand Prix today so rumours of an injury look to be fake news
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Alex Yee raced in a French grand Prix today so rumours of an injury look to be fake news

and won in front of Wilde and Tim Hellwig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sidelined wrote:
Hugo milner now on the start list for Yokohama

He recently demonstrated he only has elite age group level bike power. Not even low level pro.

He certainly can improve and he is an amazing runner, so I’ll take interest (as you suggested). But I doubt he’ll be mentioned after the gun goes off.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Hugo Milner now on the start list for Yokohama
He recently demonstrated he only has elite age group level bike power. Not even low level pro.
He certainly can improve and he is an amazing runner, so I’ll take interest (as you suggested). But I doubt he’ll be mentioned after the gun goes off.
Bit like Jorgensen then; except she'll surely keep getting the 'mentions'.
(Not sure what meant by "elite age group". Is there such a category?
Is it Stornes v Thorn for an MTR leg? (Thorn has every chance to auto-qualify a second Norge individual place: ranked #30 at present).
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:

is there anybody that has found results from today i watched a bit on the live stream and it looked like hayden ,once again this year, got dropped on the swim and was a good bit back into t2 run quite well though but yee was a good bit up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read a report, Wilde got a puncture last KM of the bike, has a bad habit of these type things happening!

Started 17secs behind everyone else on the run, still came 2nd!
Last edited by: Jackets: May 4, 24 13:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next