Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, it’s honor system (as it was last year). I’m checking in every day for accountability, feel free to do the same!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
As far as I know, it’s honor system (as it was last year). I’m checking in every day for accountability, feel free to do the same!

I like that, and will endeavor to do the same (although I am not normally on ST every day). So far I am 3/3 days. My GF and I switched to sparkling apple cider at midnight on NYE to mark the official start. Leading up to IMLOU last year, I did 10 weeks dry and saw a noticeable difference in how I felt. I'm aiming for a bit more this year, but am excited to have this first month with company!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first reaction when I read this post was to say, you gotta be kidding me.

If there is one cohort that would not be abusers, it would be an athlete who has to survive a 12 hr race (which lets face it is the average time frame in an IM) and all the training that it takes to get there.

Then I thought, ahh, it's just the Americans, they have this abstinencial ( I made up a word) streak going back to Prohibition. After all the Puritans landed on Plymouth Rock and not Cape Spear ( most easterly point in Canada) where the Vikings maybe got a first glimpse of Canada . Let them get on with it. I'll raise one to you.

So I started to write something tart and condescending. Looked up a few stats and found that 1/8 of all (mostly adult) Americans have a drinking problem. With 90,000 subscribers, that would be over 11,000 problem drinkers on this site alone. Even when it was whittled down to the views (or the respondents) of this topic, it was a startling number.

I thought Canadians must be more sensible than that. Turns out, they're not. In fact we have as much if not more (all that snow maybe) problems with alcohol.

So for those who take part, all the best, hope it helps, take care, make it to the finish, whatever it takes.

I would normally say cheers, but you know......!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually have around two drinks a year, and those are when my wife forces me to get a drink at a fancy restaurant. Otherwise, seems like empty calories to me, but that's just my opinion. I should be able to do it this month as there are no plans for a nice restaurant in the works!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a dry month in Oct 17. Ended up enjoying not drinking...so I've been going over a year now. I didn't quit but I just have no desire anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think athletes and especially endurance athletes tend to have addictive or at least habitual personalities that bleed into many other aspects of their lives outside of their sport. We bring our bodies to the extreme, and then some people use what they can to relax/rest to the extreme. Or we get so good at forming habits with our workouts that we form habits, for better or worse, with everything else (I'll tell you about my Honey Nut Cheerios obsession when we do a Dry Cereal Month...)

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [surferdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in for this - I did not drink from Dec 10-31, had 3 beers new years eve, but I will abstain from alcohol for January. I was pretty much a 1-2 beer / day drinker all last year. Honestly not sure I feel all that different, but lets give it more time.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
lschaan wrote:
Meh, an opinion piece by a staff writer looking for clicks. Obviously there are a lot of different opinions in our society about alcohol consumption though. I promise to keep my challenge off my nonexistent Instagram account though!

Fleck wrote:
where in the media did you see or read what you perceived as "pushback"?

Globe & Mail in Canada - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...of-your-dry-january/

I do get his point though. The people I know in real life who do this have to bring it up constantly, like certain of the people who don't own TVs/ are vegetarian/ insist you must follow Orman's or Cramer's financial advice/ whatever and want you to validate their actions by jumping on the bandwagon with them. It's related to the FB (or IG) posts of people patting themselves on the back for getting rid of their old finishing medals and waiting for the adulations to roll in over how mature that is. Doing something positive and loudly announcing it everywhere and all the time because you crave the attention is obnoxious. We should do positive things because they're positive, and not be broadcasting it everywhere.

I'm not talking about this thread, to be clear. The equivalent behavior would be bringing it up in a half dozen other threads every day.

Beware of TV traders bearing advice

Following Cramer will more likely lead to an empty wallet...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in.
Sorting the diet also.
Hoping it helps with shedding the stone I need off for this years iron distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
I think athletes and especially endurance athletes tend to have addictive or at least habitual personalities that bleed into many other aspects of their lives outside of their sport. We bring our bodies to the extreme, and then some people use what they can to relax/rest to the extreme. Or we get so good at forming habits with our workouts that we form habits, for better or worse, with everything else (I'll tell you about my Honey Nut Cheerios obsession when we do a Dry Cereal Month...)

This is definitely true for me. I established the habit of having a couple of beers before dinner, relaxing at the kitchen table with my wife while she enjoyed a glass of vino. Now it feels totally weird not have a beer in front of me at that time. If I can get through that pre-dinner period, then I don't even think about it.

Currently 2/2 on no alcohol (started on Weds).

Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I usually have around two drinks a year, and those are when my wife forces me to get a drink at a fancy restaurant. Otherwise, seems like empty calories to me, but that's just my opinion. I should be able to do it this month as there are no plans for a nice restaurant in the works!

so this thread likely isn't relevant to you, now is it? Smug response..looking at your blog, doesn't surprise me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have a bowl of that, thank you. (I'm in).

Generally pretty good at keeping my consumption on the very low side, but last few weeks I was up to 2-3 glasses of wine per night - not a good habit. I felt like reaching for the wine box in the first few days - more out of habit - again not a good sign.

All the best to all for 2019 and beyond!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four days down. That’s almost 13% of the way there!

Some say necessity is the mother of invention and while I’m ramping up IM training volume, I find myself wanting to replace those booze calories with something more productive than water. So...healthy(ish) dessert it is. Tonight I had a cup of 2% Greek yogurt mixed with a tablespoon of homemade berry preserves and a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips. Tasted just like chocolate raspberry swirl cheesecake. Mmmm.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed; and if he thinks alcohol
is an empty calorie I don’t think he understands what an empty calorie is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mid summer here in Australia so no way, i could do it in July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to everyone. I've always enjoyed a glass of wine on Friday or Saturday evening or a Gin Rickey, but never found the urge or need to drink during the week. I think limiting consumption to a few on the weekend is a good plan. Now, my wife and her crazy 30 day food cleanses and whole 30 meals that I've done with her. Those take some serious fortitude to navigate.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I´m on a modified no-alcohol january.

I´ve given up beer and wine, and am just having gin with slimline tonic as apéritif and water with meals.

Ginuary. It´s a winner.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for this again. Have done this for the last 3 years. Also no alcohol Sunday through Thursday the rest of the year unless it's vacation. Having been at a point several years ago where I just got used to waking up and working out with a mild hangover because I let myself slip into a 4 plus daily consumption habit while travelling for business for the better part of 7 years, I'm fully aware of how easily consumption creeps up without second thought. I can make the Sunday through Thursdays the rest of the year without any issue at all, but the weekends are definitely a little more difficult to get through, even if they're filled with long rides/runs/family stuff. Best of luck to all - it sucks at the time, but I always feel like I've accomplished something at the end and usually stretch to mid February before actually having a beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So many postive responses, so many postive attitudes. Even those who chose not to participate, and some even give their rationale, we have a lot of good people on board. I have the sense from these comments, and the private emails I've recieved from those who prefer it that way, that now on this fifth day, as they say, we're "LOOKING GOOD!"

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
So many postive responses, so many postive attitudes. Even those who chose not to participate, and some even give their rationale, we have a lot of good people on board. I have the sense from these comments, and the private emails I've recieved from those who prefer it that way, that now on this fifth day, as they say, we're "LOOKING GOOD!"

John

Agreed - it’s always good to force self restraint on the system. For some alcohol is an indulgence that needs to be monitored - I live in Manhattan and it’s everywhere I go - I’m supportive of the idea and I’m in! Why not?!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems I have not been doing a great job of monitoring my intake. I just endured two days of constant headache which leaves me to believe I was having withdraw. I would usually have 2-3 IPAs a night, maybe 5 on a Friday or Saturday night. My wallet seems happier at this point also.

I picked up a 12 pack of la Croix water to drink instead of beer, which has helped maintain my routine but change the unwanted part of the habit. I think I'll make it through January and try to keep the momentum going for a while after.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [CMHAWA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious after seeing that at the grocery store - what does la Croix water taste like?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
La Croix = Essentially just club soda with a hint of a flavor added. Lime, lemon, peach, etc. it’s good. 4 days down! Man, there were a ton of beer commercials in tv last night! Tonight will be first real test though. Dinner at couple who’s super into wine and beer and are home brewers. They’ll be awesome and supportive but aren’t going to be HAPPY my wife and I aren’t going to be drinking one of their great wines or beers with them. Then concert afterwards I’m excited about, in an intimate local pub. Stay strong!

SkipS wrote:
I was curious after seeing that at the grocery store - what does la Croix water taste like?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipS wrote:

They make some decent flavors! I love the pampelmousse (grapefruit).
We make our own flavored seltzers at home (we have a keezer setup for homebrew and have extra taps, so why not?). My current favorite is blood orange thyme.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 down...over 16% of the way there!

I had an anxiety-laced day. Last I checked there isn’t a leather couch in here so I’ll carry on about that elsewhere. But instead of soothing with a drink I channeled my energy and made a delicious cake. Baking makes me happy. Baking something relatively healthy makes me VERY happy. This was the latter and it’s also extremely delicious.

Quote Reply

Prev Next