Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s January 19th?

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in starting today!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [preachertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I may as well m declare myself in.

Long day at work and strong temptation to slump on the sofa with a beer resisted.

Two days now done.

Just need more runs for 100/100 challenge, only done 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I'm also sad to hear that the environment on ST almost moved you to not do this for 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two days down, over 6.5% complete!

I had a trying evening. It really effing sucks being part of a severely dysfunctional family. Thankfully I have my cats, my husband, and my hard workouts in the morning to try to keep me grounded. Bourbon would have been awesome tonight but instead I’m heading to bed to zone out to Property Brothers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Made it to January 26th last year. I got out my food/training diary entry from that time and laughed at my description of how dreadful I felt after that first drink back. Let's see where I get to this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice storm was hitting town and I really didn't want to run, but I've actually closed all my Apple Watch rings since this challenge started and I would hate to break that, so off I went.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
What’s January 19th?

Previously planned guys weekend trip. With a 3 and 1 yr old I don't get a lot of nights where I have a hall pass AND no parenting obligations the next am. 2 days/nights down!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [lschaan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In. It'll be good to do this with a supportive group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No micro-regression here. Have at it and go for it with your Dry January!

It's never something I've done, and this year, I've noticed for the first time some serious push back in the Main-Stream media about it.

I'll spare you all the preaching - people have to make up their own minds about this. As with all things in life, balance, moderation and self-control are key!

I'll still enjoy the 3 - 4 beers that I drink each week. Cheers!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve - thanks. I must say I have to agree with your "As with all things in life, balance, moderation and self-control are key! "

So often in these polarized times, people seem not only spring loaded to be offended, they go all in to demonstrate same without much consideration of the facts or the true meaning of the speaker. This seems particularly true when they are separated by age, background, education, etc, the 2019 ways to be offended seem more

In my life, medicine is serious business and I can't afford to react in other than an accepting way. My patients, be they black, white, male, female, whatever, you hear some incredible things come out of their mouths (by your own personal standards.) Or jokes they want to share. Complaints about one thing or another, but you just have to put that aside, without holding it against them, and provide the best care you know how to all. I don't think there's room for microaggressions in my field, or those of many others as a matter of fact. Will step back off the soap box now.

Happy New Year,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Fleck comes in with a backdoor brag. Of course moderation and balance is key. Some of us are using dry January to try and get closer to that line. Congratulations on being on it already! Out of curiosity, where in the media did you see or read what you perceived as "pushback"? This? https://www.theguardian.com/...anuary-alcohol-booze

Fleck wrote:

It's never something I've done, and this year, I've noticed for the first time some serious push back in the Main-Stream media about it.

I'll spare you all the preaching - people have to make up their own minds about this. As with all things in life, balance, moderation and self-control are key!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
where in the media did you see or read what you perceived as "pushback"?

Globe & Mail in Canada - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...of-your-dry-january/

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, an opinion piece by a staff writer looking for clicks. Obviously there are a lot of different opinions in our society about alcohol consumption though. I promise to keep my challenge off my nonexistent Instagram account though!

Fleck wrote:

Globe & Mail in Canada - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...of-your-dry-january/
Last edited by: lschaan: Jan 3, 19 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Same. Best of luck, everyone else. I'm already doing my preemptive planning for tomorrow around a gnarly hangover.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lschaan wrote:
Meh, an opinion piece by a staff writer looking for clicks. Obviously there are a lot of different opinions in our society about alcohol consumption though. I promise to keep my challenge off my nonexistent Instagram account though!

Fleck wrote:

I do get his point though. The people I know in real life who do this have to bring it up constantly, like certain of the people who don't own TVs/ are vegetarian/ insist you must follow Orman's or Cramer's financial advice/ whatever and want you to validate their actions by jumping on the bandwagon with them. It's related to the FB (or IG) posts of people patting themselves on the back for getting rid of their old finishing medals and waiting for the adulations to roll in over how mature that is. Doing something positive and loudly announcing it everywhere and all the time because you crave the attention is obnoxious. We should do positive things because they're positive, and not be broadcasting it everywhere.

I'm not talking about this thread, to be clear. The equivalent behavior would be bringing it up in a half dozen other threads every day.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a great initiative and props to those that are prepared to share their previous experiences with alcohol.
Personally as a physician who sees the effects of alcohol and drugs on a daily basis anything that we can do to promote responsible consumption is to be applauded.
For me, I gave up alcohol a number of years ago as I have a wife who does not drink for religious reasons, so kinda sucks drinking on your own all the time. I can't say that I miss it at all, but I know others that do.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in a home that drinking was a HUGE "sin." I still don't drink alcoholic beverages, and although I carry the baggage of that upbringing, I have no issue with responsible drinking, nor do I think having a drink is a 'sin.' For those that choose not to give up alcohol, its all good, just be responsible! For all that are taking on this challenge, I only wish you the best as you give up drinking alcohol for the month. May you be strong, and have success!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three days down! Almost ten percent done!

Today was the start of the physiological changes. Namingly, the Great Niagara Movement. The extra water weight is being shed incrementally, roughly every thirty seconds by my account, lol. I have been drinking extra water to compensate for whatever else I’m not drinking, but not THAT
much. 3am me is not very grateful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, glad it's not just me with that issue; for me it was midnight AND 4am.

Also, thanks for the percentage countdown - I find it quite encouraging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been looking forward to this thread for some time now. Thanks for doing this. I’m in, kinda. I’m on vacation till January 7th, so I’ll start then. I will at least last till February 7th, although I would like to keep it going for a bit longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boom! 3days and nights in the bag. This is the longest stretch for me for at least the last year. No real noteable physical changes for me yet. I’m definitely feeling more positive and upbeat at work and in general. Home is a mixed bag. Wife and I are awesome. In a way I’ve had possibly less patience (still a LOT!) with the kids (3&1) though. Realizing it was sometime easier for me to deal with the trials and sometimes monotony of infant/toddler childcare when I had my usual 2 DIPAs or healthy pours of red wine to get me in a place where I could mellow out and just go with the flow. Something to work on.

Good luck to all on their journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing the dry January and February as well- wife and I have a bet ($100 each, escrowed in the fridge in a envelope) to see who cracks first. Missing the glass of wine after work, but not the calories.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any log or is this just on the honor system?

Fine with both - but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm giving up alcohol for the month.

Wait...I'm giving up. Alcohol for the month!

Punctuation FTW!

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply

Prev Next