Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get some rest! I had a lazy afternoon and watched Mary Poppins Returns; being in the cinema at 3pm felt oddly decadent. I also survived dinner out drinking only h2o.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! I've noticed that when we've been out, I tend to drink more water than necessary. It's probably overcompensation, haha.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could really go for a drink right about now...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [SBR0510] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR0510 wrote:
Generally, we tend towards earthy-spicy Spanish types, but all suggestions welcome. Let's set our minimum at $100/bottle. .

I was trying to think of wines that matched your preference. Cal Cabs and even blends, are too fruity; not much earth or spice (I love them, but that's not what you asked). Search French Red Burgundy at that price point or thereabouts. You might like Volnay, which has nice wines at that range. You could also just look for a Rioja from Spain or Argentina, etc.

Now before I get castigated for the subject of this post, back to my trainer. Hup Hup Hup
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I could really go for a drink right about now...

Stay strong. The longer the holdout, the better it will be. How can we help?

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
25 days in the rear view! Just 6 days or a little under 20% if you’re using the “race math” calculation for the month :)

The easy stuff is over for me. Final exam starts tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woohoo, it's the home stretch.

Last year, Jan 26th was the day I succumbed. I'm feeling a lot more positive this year so should survive the social anxiety of attending an event where I don't really know anyone without a drink in hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the motivation and support on this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not as adventurous as you guys... and being Russian going dry for a month in January is just unrealistic... but I am doing a no booze this week. Will try to do one every month this year as a test, just have to pick them strategically to avoid family gatherings and what not.

The biggest positive that I see is a noticeable improvement in sleep quality. I have no problem sleeping 7 hours straight without waking up, which is kind of weird since I am a very light sleeper... been like that all my life.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have been rocking out! Great work! Making it past the cracking point from last year is like getting a PR :)

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in-ish. I had my last drink on 1/11– planned family event. Now I am drinking nothing until I drop 25 lbs. from my max weight on 1/1. It may take a few months. I am gunning for sub 10% body fat and a very fast 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strong list of goals; all the best in accomplishing them. Perhaps an intermediate goal or three along the way would be beneficial.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
26 days down and just FIVE. TO. GO. Today was 16.25% of the remaining time in drydock.

I passed the first page of the final. Got to my in-laws and a wine glass was already set out for me. I quickly swapped it for another glass, filled with sparkling water. Got chastised by my father in law, who then proceeded to drink my wine, and several other glasses thereafter. Did I mention he started on Grey Goose on the rocks before we arrived? Sigh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waste not, want not. Or something. You can do this Dr_C!

I survived my social thing. And all the open bottles of wine and beer didn’t even really register with me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaaas! Great job!!

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how did the 26th go? Enjoyed a few drinks on my birthday. Next morning was not great though and I realised how much alcohol disrupts my sleep!

So no booze Feb for me. On Friday nights, I have arranged a PT session. Really enjoy blasting the week away with a tough session that normally includes learning a few new cross-fit skills. Waking up on Saturday after a great night of sleep and feeling ready to go on Saturday morning (when my daughter wakes at 5.30am!) has also got me thinking how much I appreciate a booze free Friday night.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Crumpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crumpy wrote:
So how did the 26th go? Enjoyed a few drinks on my birthday. Next morning was not great though and I realised how much alcohol disrupts my sleep!

So no booze Feb for me. On Friday nights, I have arranged a PT session. Really enjoy blasting the week away with a tough session that normally includes learning a few new cross-fit skills. Waking up on Saturday after a great night of sleep and feeling ready to go on Saturday morning (when my daughter wakes at 5.30am!) has also got me thinking how much I appreciate a booze free Friday night.

An interesting side effect of DJan -- I bought 2 oilcans Fosters Special (the green one, much better than blue Fosters lager) -- it tasted as remembered, but I didn't feel the need to fully finish the second.

OI Oi OI

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good man.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far I'm killing it. My body composition goal (started at the beginning of November) was to drop 2" from my belly by February, and I'm at 3", so that's met. Maybe 1" more to get to 6-pack grade. I added the no-alcohol thing when I saw this thread, and I think it's helped. I'm probably done with daily drinking (even at my 1-beer/day limit) for good. Just reserving it for going out, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'm probably done with daily drinking (even at my 1-beer/day limit) for good. Just reserving it for going out, etc.

This is me too. The daily drinking thing was killing me. I was putting in a consistent 8 - 12 hours/week of intense training and maintaining my chubby ~20% body fat. I think I can drop 2” to 3” from my waist to get to 6-pack grade.

I ran a local 5K yesterday, and most of the way I was imagining how fast I would be if running it 20 lbs. lighter. I cannot wait.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 27, 19 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... just saw this post. I gave up drinking Feb 27, 1976- my 21st birthday- and have never looked back! Does this count?
Personally, I really do not understand why anyone would actually voluntarily drink something containing alcohol, I guess that is why it was easy for me to stop :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Personally, I really do not understand why anyone would actually voluntarily drink something containing alcohol, I guess that is why it was easy for me to stop :-)

My guess is it’s like voluntarily judging others for their actions. It clutters the mind in distracting ways from ones own shortcomings.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is it’s like voluntarily judging others for their actions. It clutters the mind in distracting ways from ones own shortcomings.

Very nice, touche'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
27 days down, Four to go!! Today was 20% of the remaining time. That’s home stretch time right here!

It feels like the last 4 miles of a marathon for me. Today I finally heard the words I dreaded all month: “can’t you have just one sip?”. After much pressuring at dinner...my husband stepped in and told them to fuck off. I kinda love him.

One more night of the parental pressuring and judging. I’m determined to make it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are setting the bar high!
Quote Reply

Prev Next