Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:
Personally, I really do not understand why anyone would actually voluntarily drink something containing alcohol, I guess that is why it was easy for me to stop :-)

My guess is it’s like voluntarily judging others for their actions. It clutters the mind in distracting ways from ones own shortcomings.

Not understanding is not the same as judging :-) I agree with your point of cluttering the mind in distracting ways, and sincerely do not understand why anyone chooses to do that. (Not JUDGING!)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Not understanding is not the same as judging :-) I agree with your point of cluttering the mind in distracting ways, and sincerely do not understand why anyone chooses to do that. (Not JUDGING!)

Maybe we need a not judging color? ;)

But you do understand how your earlier response could be read as a bit "holier than thou", right?

I'm also glad the end is in sight (and that it falls on Friday). Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
28 days down! The end is in sight! Three more days! Time to start your kick.

I (think I) have survived the in-laws test (the only way it will be prolonged with extra credit is if the flight home gets canceled due to the winter storm). Dinner tonight had me grinding my teeth. They had one of my *favorite* wines. ::sob:: I can't wait to get in a good hard swim and run tomorrow to flush the rest of this trip out of my system. Tomorrow is also a hard day for me mentally, so it will be a task to make it.

Hope everyone is still doing well!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enjoy the swim/run and safe travels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
29 days done. That’s impressive work everyone.

Today is the reason I hate that January is the “preferred” month of dryness. Because 8 years ago today, I lost my mother. Long story short, she didn’t take care of herself and found out far too late that she had stage IV colon cancer. Life fucking sucks without her. But, I made it through the day, and the travel home, and now I get to go to bed and tomorrow won’t be this anniversary anymore, I won’t be around my in laws to drive me to drink, and it will be one day closer to February.

Phew.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I will try to stay dry for the entire February or at least the first two weeks.

Anyone joining me?

It feels so much better and recovery is extremely fast for me without drinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I'm in. I think that i ll get a beer after my second race which is in late summer.
But everything is going alright on this side of the ocean

Mvg mark
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've started at 13th January, my month ends at 13 Feb so I'm with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Post - Please accept this sincere thank you for the motivation. I've been alcohol free for two Januarys in a row (assuming I can make it another day) and that's in large part to your postings and the fellow members of this board. This year, I'm going to try extending my abstinence until after my first A race of the season, which is almost three months away. Three more months seems like a difficult goal, but as with all habits, things get a little easier with the passage of time. Also, I'm now absolutely convinced of the significant performance goals associated with avoiding alcohol. I'm bummed I won't be drinking beer during the Super Bowl. But I'll likely be witnessing a 41 year old teetotaling QB outperforming his significantly younger counterpart. And hopefully I can do with same three months from now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sending virtual hugs.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to you and our non-imbibing bretheren! On my to do list for today, however, is a stop by the liquor store.......just to check and see if they have any Jack Daniels in stock. Whaddyathink?

I smoked in HS and then well into my Marine Corps service, ceasing on the day I got accepted to medical school a good number of years ago. That said, when I walk by the supermarket door and smile hello to the bag boy on break sucking on a Marlboro, as I walk through the haze of smoke, I gotta tell you, it still smells great! Just not quite great enough to go in and buy a pack which is probably a good thing.

We've had a good crowd this January so let's see if I can remember 11 months and we'll pick it up again in December. I think that this break lets all of us define our relationship with alcohol a little better. Not that anyone needs to stop, although you might - your call, but I know that I can see areas where, just like comfort food, if I'm one percent more patient, OK maybe 5% more patient, I don't have to put either one of them in my mouth.

Congratulations to all and keep up the good work. Best of luck in your first race of the season, and don't forget to practice your transitions. Oh, and say thank you to the volunteers!

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 days done? One more to go? WHOA. That’s pretty awesome. The finish line is right there!

Today was, as predicted, easy. Tomorrow I’m going to make my plan and pact for the rest of the season and how to be a better custodian of my alcohol consumption. This month has allowed me done pretty big gains in training and I don’t doubt that being dry has helped.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, looks like I will make it having just had 3/4 of one beer, so I will call that a win. Probably about 1/2 dozen times I said I really feel like the taste of a beer, but went the other way just because of this thread. I'm thankful I dont have a problem with alcohol, many I know are not so lucky, so I dont take it for granted that I can just have one beer every once in awhile. I have an old friend now struggling, but apparently sober for a couple months now, so sending him some of my good mojo to keep it up..

Thanks everyone, it was fun, now lets party!!! Well maybe lets have a drink and clink glasses, then go back to living a sustainable and healthy life...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what's struck me over the last 30 days is the number of people who have responded "Oh, I couldn't do that" when I've said I was doing Dry January. There wasn't even a willingness to challenge themselves to try! Highlight(lowlight?) was at the beginning of the month the person who told me they were in and within 20 minutes had sent me a text with a picture of their open beer saying "that didn't last long".

Thanks for keeping me honest Dr_C!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
I think what's struck me over the last 30 days is the number of people who have responded "Oh, I couldn't do that" when I've said I was doing Dry January. There wasn't even a willingness to challenge themselves to try! Highlight(lowlight?) was at the beginning of the month the person who told me they were in and within 20 minutes had sent me a text with a picture of their open beer saying "that didn't last long".

I think it's the 'challenge myself' mentality that we have and others don't.

I usually start the year with a few challenges - this year being alcohol, facebook, chocolate/sweets. All so far so good and I'll keep all three going into February, because I can.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very impressed by all of those that took part in the challenge this year.

Those that succeeded, without any lapses: rock stars!

Those that faltered, but came back on board: that shows really impressive will.

I did not go alcohol free this month, but I did cut back during the work weeks, and I plan to really cut back for 2 months before my summer IM like I have in previous years. I always find my sleep improves, and my belly!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:

I’m now on 4 years of dry January and get the same questions every year. People are almost offended by it - and are lined up to see me in early February to make sure I resume imbibing (which I’m on the fence about now, as always). I have a complicated relationship with booze, but this month always puzzles me as I see others whose relationship appears more “complicated” in a clearer light. I think it’s a great exercise no matter what you do the rest of the year, and kudos to all who made it through (especially those of us house-bound because of the polar vortex!!!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right back atcha! I can't wait to toast to you and your husband's successful month :)

This is probably the 6th or so time I've done a dry stretch of a month or longer. I've gotten to the point where I don't even mention it unless I have to, because then I become some sort of zoological spectacle. I too am amazed at how many people say they just "can't". I just find it fascinating that people who do something, ANYTHING healthy for themselves, are always met with some sort of stigmatizing harassment because of it. It really highlights other peoples' shortcomings, which is kind of sad.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Thanks everyone, it was fun, now lets party!!! Well maybe lets have a drink and clink glasses, then go back to living a sustainable and healthy life...

Haha, right? I'm all woooo, I can let loose tomor- oh wait, long run at 6am...well then Saturda- oh crap, long ride Sunday morning...SUNDAY NIGHT THEN WOO! Except one beer will probably knock me on my butt.

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quit facebook back in 2012, way before it was cool to quit facebook. Haven't looked back since.

I've never tried quitting chocolate or sweets but I think I'd have to be tactical about choosing when to quit that to avoid birthdays etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah, I declined and explained last night in response to a direct invitation to "come for a beer". In the millisecond between the "no thank you" and the "I'm doing dry January" the person inviting was already looking at my midsection. *eye roll*

I think that this will just be filed as another one of those crazy things Sherry does, like exercising and eating vegetables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made it, looking forward to a beer with dinner tomorrow night.

Was surprised at how difficult it was, and how having a drink with dinner had become a but too commonplace. Dropping the Christmas weight was a nice benefit as was resetting how I thought about how and when I have a glass of wine or beer.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4th yr in dry Jan under the belt. Congrats to all. My biggest takeaway is always the self awareness factor and conscious or even subconscious decisions of social atmospheres, social pressures and just plain habit. Don't really drink during the week but can easily go overboard on the weekends doing chores, boat/beach days with friends, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been following this thread, as I usually take two months a year off alcohol as well (May and November). I find my ability to abstain is much better than my ability to moderate.

This year I embarked on a new challenge. Based on UK health guidelines (although I live in Canada), the recommended maximum intake is 14 units in a 7 day period.
A unit is measured by % alcohol x volume (in liters). So a glass (175ml) of red wine (13.5%) is roughly 2.3 units. No carryovers from week to week.
While binging is discouraged, it's totally within the limits to abstain for 6 days, drink all 14 units on day 7, reset at midnight, have another 14 units on day 1 of the next period, and then abstain for another 6 days. A bit of a cop out, but this was put in place for those wild weekends/bachelor parties/etc.

I entered the challenge with a number of friends and we put some good money on the line, which increases as the year goes by. $1,000 buy in with an additional $100 every month. Winner takes all or we split it Jan 1, 2020. For those looking to continue moderating, and need a system to keep them on track, hope this is useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes and No-Alcohol January 2019 - A restart [stax88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice- my wife and I each put up $100 bill as a bet for Dry January, which I taped in an envelope where the wine goes in our fridge. It was a nice motivator in a few weak moments.
Quote Reply

Prev Next