Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Lots of the common questions are answered in an FAQ we have regarding the price increase: https://support.zwift.com/...rticles/115005405146

I see every day what this increase is going to support. Zwift is today just so much more than it was 3yrs ago when we launched at $10/mo. (This is our first price increase ever.) And, based on most responses, I think most people generally understand the price increase; that doesn't mean they agree with it, but that's fine. I completely understand that people have budgets and they have to decide what something is - or is not - worth to them.

But I can promise that you are not going to be paying more for the same experience on Zwift. Will the changes and improvements be worth 50% more? That's for you to decide. But it's certainly our goal to deliver way more than a 50% better experience over the next year...

Well, technically it went from $0/mo to $10/mo, so this is the 2nd price increase "you all" have implemented.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I barely use Zwift and had a hard time justifying $10/mo which for me works out to about $5 a ride over the winter.

Looking at it another way though, my plan this winter is to do a Zwift race every 2 weeks to spice up my TR workout program. I drop $20 on our local semi monthly local training crit in the summer so i am still getting a bargain with Zwift at $5 or even $10 a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll be the party pooper here.

when zwift got started - and it got started here, on this forum - zwift consisted of the island. how many ride options does zwift have now? i think the "car" went from an engine, a transmission, 4 wheels and radio to that same car, just now with power windows, heated seats and satellite radio (and your satellite radio alone costs you, per year, roughly what zwift costs you).

either you zwift or you don't. if you do, whether the cost is $15 or $10 per month is immaterial. if you don't, why are you even paying the $10?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$10 to $15 seems reasonable since $10 sounded inexpensive for what it is.

But maybe the should charge skinny folks more than heavy folks and that would maybe stop the weight doping. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally understand the price increase, but I don't know if the current pricepoint is good to keep me invested in the platform. Like some others here I actually have a preference for trainerroad and the workouts there. It's funny, before I got my smart trainer I was zwifting a lot more, and doing races. But when I got the cycleops hammer I actually became more invested in trainerroad because of the erg mode with training, and not really all that impressed with the sim mode in zwift for just riding around.
I had been doing zwift races a lot more often last year, but I haven't been as much into them, again related to being more invested in the structured plans trainerroad offers. Someone above mentioned drafting, and one of the big disappointments with getting a smart trainer was that drafting doesn't feel like I thought it would.
I think I have the grandfathered rate, so I'll stick with it for now but I've been using it less and, maybe it's my setup (smaller monitors) but it loses it's immersiveness and I end up being mostly listening to music/radio and focus on the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can this be a problem? I spend more on gels for my long Saturday morning ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is generally thought that I am in disagreement with the idea, that would be a mistake. I was merely posting it for discussion...with a slight bias. If I want to Zwift I will happily pay $15/mo. It's a big increase from $10, but it seems justifiable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things I'd like to see:

1) Keep the Event Calendar more relevant. Often I'll go to check it out and it's only good for like 4 days. Why? Why can't it go into perpetuity?

2) Make it easy to join a race and see results. There should be a super easy mechanism for joining a race and having everything taken care of. I shouldn't need to change my username. There should be a super easy mechanism for joining a race and having everything taken care of. I should need to fiddle with strava (or even have a strava) in order to be in the results.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
How can this be a problem? I spend more on gels for my long Saturday morning ride.

Welcome to Slowtwitch where people get mad about a price increase so Zwift can scale but will have no problem buying new tires or an aero helmet because someone did a test and said it was faster without knowing if it’s actually faster for them or not.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 16, 17 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
How can this be a problem?

Beats me. Many people on forums/lists seem lost without something to complain about, it's tiresome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$15 makes think longer and harder about it, but thankfully I have a year at current rates to see if the experience iteratively improves to justify the increase. I've only been using Zwift for a half year and the core experience has gotten significantly better in that time frame, and if features/courses/etc. continue to come at the same/increased rate, it will be worth it for me. But obv. YMMV, and Zwift might not even be something you would use if it was free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
If it is generally thought that I am in disagreement with the idea, that would be a mistake. I was merely posting it for discussion...with a slight bias. If I want to Zwift I will happily pay $15/mo. It's a big increase from $10, but it seems justifiable.

i do believe i'm going to be leading a weekly zwift ride. as soon as i get things set up. and i'm also trying to see if i can figure out a way to conduct a live - a facebooky livey kind of thing - podcasty like conversation with somebody who i think is an interesting figure while aboard zwift. i think that sounds interesting to me. sort of like anthony bourdain, but we're riding and talking with people listening in instead of eating and talking with people listening in. but we're all riding. we all have avatars on the zwift screen.

i think, with zwift, it's like with masters swimming. either you're in our your out. you're not getting your money's worth unless you make it a regular thing, at least once weekly. i think we'll probably also host some kind of zwift calendar here, where we pick those rides which are slowtwitch-specific, made for our community, and make sure they're prominently posted every week.

so, for that, i don't think whether it's $10 or $15 a month should matter. but i'm cool with people just saying they're not into it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't do the zwift now, but for that, I'd probably join.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
For me, this will mean back to trainer road. Was a toss up anyway and now that it'll be cheaper, it's a no brainer. Zwift has lost its cool factor on me pretty quickly.

To be honest, I've just been too lazy to switch already. I find the training programs in TR make it much more valuable than cool graphic in zwift.

same here. I've tried zwift a couple times and it just never "took". It just doesn't do much for me. I prefer TR and the annual TR price. Even they I mostly use TR in the winter months I still use it at least 1 time a week during the summer months if not more than that just depending on what events I have coming up
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and your high horse are fun to watch prance about

Quote:
Welcome to Slowtwitch where people get mad about a price increase so Zwift can scale but will have no problem buying new tires or an aero helmet because someone did a test and said it was faster without knowing if it’s actually faster for them or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when zwift got started - and it got started here, on this forum - zwift consisted of the island. how many ride options does zwift have now? i think the "car" went from an engine, a transmission, 4 wheels and radio to that same car, just now with power windows, heated seats and satellite radio (and your satellite radio alone costs you, per year, roughly what zwift costs you).

In my time spent in the tech business a few years - Online Event Registration - what was a bit of an eye-opener for me, with something that goes on behind the scenes with a software company, is the volume of coding and programming that goes on, and it's almost NONE STOP! An entire room - just filled with coders! And that was for static web pages with functionality - imagine what it's like for something like Zwift?? There's costs here, and they are significant! Not meaning to be Doug-Downer, here, but for many things that are "free", or one "low cost", somehow all the costs of a company like this need to be covered somehow.

That being said Zwift has been a real game-changer.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude then don't sign up for so much stuff. You can use Pandora/Spotify/YouTube for music with ads for free, you don't need premium. You don't have to have cable tv. You don't have to get Starbucks. Etc, etc, etc. For the most part in life you want things you have to pay for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JT_Dennen wrote:
Dude then don't sign up for so much stuff. You can use Pandora/Spotify/YouTube for music with ads for free, you don't need premium. You don't have to have cable tv. You don't have to get Starbucks. Etc, etc, etc. For the most part in life you want things you have to pay for them.

"Dude" the last thing I need is a lecture on personal finance from some random person on a message board.

I was commenting on the subscription based service trend. I can handle my spending just fine. Thanks though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're complaining about it all adding up. Just saying pick and choose what you really want. A lot of options out there that none of us really need, but to get worked up about it is kinda silly. I'm sure you enjoy getting paid for what you do.

As for the dude comment, just a term I use in a laid back way since I don't know you, as you so nicely said. Sorry if you felt I attacked you in some way. But if you need someone to check out your portfolio shoot me a PM ;)
Last edited by: JT_Dennen: Nov 16, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Well, technically it went from $0/mo to $10/mo, so this is the 2nd price increase "you all" have implemented.

Technically, you're incorrect. You do understand the concept of a beta, right?

The nerve of Activision for releasing that free Call of Duty: WW2 beta a few months ago, and then wanting to charge me $60 for the game now. See how that sounds?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're all complaining about $5 a month. Here in the Great White North we're going from $9.99 to $18.99!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it free while in beta?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was worried about a Zwift price increase after being emailed and taking a survey a few weeks ago about potential monthly prices and features. At the time, the offerings all seemed out of touch with my (non-expert) expectations of what consumers would want.

I didn't start Zwifting until it cost $10/month, and thinking about it another way, I'd rather pay $10/month for the current feature set without any future features/development (and prefer a discount for an annual subscription to perhaps $100 instead of $120) than pay $15/month for more features/routes/bikes/etc. At a ride or two per week during non-daylight savings hours, I always compare it to how many hours of use I'm getting out of my $10/month Netflix. (Yes, I should spend less time on the couch and more on Zwift.)

When my price bumps up to $15 in a year, I'll probably think twice. I wish they had instead offered a $15 "family plan" which allows you to set up a secondary account for low-volume use by spouses/children, for which it is even harder to justify the monthly fee. I might have considered upgrading to that, since my spouse has a smart trainer too, but infrequently rides indoors.

Also, I wonder if they will continue to attract new users at that price. I would expect that most of the people with a trainer/bike who were interested enough to get on board are already subscribed, and those who haven't probably couldn't justify the $10/month.

I already own/use PerfPro for a one-time fee two years ago, and it seems to offer most of the necessary TrainerRoad features including a large library of workouts without a monthly subscription fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpay wrote:
They might have even let people stay on $10 a month if you kept paying and never suspended your account. Anyone know if that is true or not?

That is true. We grandfather in prices and you never get increased as long as you don't suspend.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Was it free while in beta?

I don't know if Call of Duty actually had a beta, but for a relevant and definite actual example, Activision/Blizzard had a public beta for Overwatch - i took part - which they then charged $60 for once they released the full version of the game - which I did not buy.

Overwatch and CoD are roughly equivalently popular. But Overwatch is probably a better example because Overwatch was a totally new game, whereas CoD is an old game but which has new "editions" (e.g. WWII)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply

Prev Next