Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I've been on it for 2 years using a computrainer and have never had a problem with the software.

Lol that’s impressive

I would say Zwift is more fun for roadies who like group rides and races.

Workouts I would stick with trainer road
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
https://zwift.com/news/9309-mapchoice

right on; thanks for sharing that
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bit the bullet and signed up a couple weeks ago. It makes an hour go by fast on the trainer.

I did get suckered in to a race the other day. I was supposed to be doing an easy recovery ride but did a race instead. It’s tempting to get off your schedule to do a group ride or race.

$15 a month seems fair to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I just bit the bullet and signed up a couple weeks ago. It makes an hour go by fast on the trainer.

I did get suckered in to a race the other day. I was supposed to be doing an easy recovery ride but did a race instead. It’s tempting to get off your schedule to do a group ride or race.

Word, I was paying $10 for TrainerRoad and Zwift does everything TR does and of course, way, way more. $15 seems very fair.

I saw that article they posted about choosing maps, seems sensible but I think the idea of Watopia +1, seems silly to not allow at least one choice

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t TrainerRoad grandfather you in for life?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Good on Nate and the team

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:

USD15 is A lot of money in other parts of the world depending on the exchange rate.. (sucks to be me i guess)

anyhoo.... i'm thinking of trying it out mainly for the races only... but not sure I'm willing/have the cash to pony up on a monthly basis
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reddy wrote:
I will also say I have some serious reservation about a company that goes through several days of massive server problems and outages, who before these things are even resolved announces a price increase?!?!?! That seems like terrible business sences and gives me great pause to become a customer

No, that's just doing business. At the end of the day this impacts nobody on the platform presently, they all have a year, so them announcing it a week later does nothing for them. You can argue it might cause people on the fence to stay away, but I can guarantee you that's a slim pct of their MAUs.

I'm interested to see what this move is all about, though. Their last funding round was in 2016, so I'm curious if they're looking to secure more funding. End of the day their price is likely on the end that either burns cash or breaks even, so this only bolsters the business.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this the part where I pour gasoline on the fire and remind everyone on ST that Ed Baker is on the board of Zwift?

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must also tell us who Ed Baker is in order for it to have the desired effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Lol not that I want to actually send people down that rabbit hole but

Well that made for an interesting read
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift isn't for everyone, if you don't feel it's valuable then you've made the right decision to only pay for TR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, people really piled on there. For a guy that is still more or less unknown, people love to hate. That was just tough to read.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainerRoad is also $15 a month

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 13, 18 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Says $99/year in my TR account. But I pay for zwift too so I'm not complaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

With that being said, I can see no reason to use TR. The TR is way better for workouts and training library argument is barely a thing anymore and Zwift’s wko creator is far easier to use than TR’s.... exponentially so if you know how to create the .zwo text file.

The other and oft given reason that I don’t have a PC/laptop powerful enough to use Zwift is more or less nullified by the mobile version or Apple TV version. Is it as pretty as the graphics on a high end gaming rig? No, but that’s not a concern for the peeps that just want a wko and occasional race.

Basically, Zwift does everything TR does and TR does nothing Zwift can do beyond workouts. I’m no TR hater or anything but it’s like SD TV vs 4K HDTV here.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 13, 18 5:59
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Says $99/year in my TR account. But I pay for zwift too so I'm not complaining.

TR and Sufferfest offer the yearly subscription for a discounted rate, Zwift does not at this time.

I wish Zwift would offer a yearly subscription, even at $120 a year vs $15 a month is enticing not only from saving money, but it’s one less thing for me to worry about budgeting. Pay it all at once and be done with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [lbmxj560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/url]I was one of the first Zwift users, before Zwift we use to race on www.tourdegiro.com, each year I buy subscription for one month then cancel it, this year I have it for 2 months already, because there is a way to change worlds.

Few thoughts:

Zwift assumes people would leave if all world would be accessible at the same time. I do not think it is true. Zwift could list all the worlds and show # of people riding in each, everybody could join world they like to ride while still be in one big world, they could have bridges between the worlds. I ride Watopia all the time solo every day, I edited prefs.xml file allowing you to pick the world.

I’m from Canada, and using Zwift during winter. I literally wakeup and it is dark, I come from work; it is dark, I do not see sunlight for 4 months. Riding indoors is the only option. I join Zwift and what do I see? A bloody night, Moon and snow…

I want to see sun and daylight and nice weather, If I want to ride at night under the moon I could go ride outside.
Zwift should have permanent sun/day light option in setting like in many video games. Their day/night clock is totally crappy and kills me. And don’t tell me about realism etc. as flying cars in CP are not realistic at all. All I hate is a moon and night. Who designs\advise on this game? Some wolverine or dude from California/Florida that wants to feel tough when he rides in snow?
I just can imagine people would prefer riding at night vs day and nice weather… Designers are totally delusional.

Price: you can’t make everyone happy, for some people 15$ will be always a lot and for some 5$ will be a lot, finding balance is the key, giving more options will attract more users, I have a hard time paying 20$ CAD and ride at night under the moon. I can do the same outside for free. If I have Sun/Day option I would pay 30$ since it would be small price to pay to be able to see sunlight in Canada.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BryanD wrote:

With that being said, I can see no reason to use TR. The TR is way better for workouts and training library argument is barely a thing anymore and Zwift’s wko creator is far easier to use than TR’s.... exponentially so if you know how to create the .zwo text file.

The other and oft given reason that I don’t have a PC/laptop powerful enough to use Zwift is more or less nullified by the mobile version or Apple TV version. Is it as pretty as the graphics on a high end gaming rig? No, but that’s not a concern for the peeps that just want a wko and occasional race.

Basically, Zwift does everything TR does and TR does nothing Zwift can do beyond workouts. I’m no TR hater or anything but it’s like SD TV vs 4K HDTV here.

Different strokes for different folks. If I'm doing a structured workout I actually like the TR interface better. I want to focus on the work and not try and be distracted. And Zwift doesn't even display lap power. But if I'm doing a boring endurance workout or whatever I'll always pick zwift. And of course racing is great on zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I can see your point but personally I don't find the Zwift world very immersive and haven't enjoyed the racing aspect. So TR is a better deal for me (at $99/year) and i can just listen to music or watch TV while following the pre-planned workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't gone for Zwift, because the racing side doesn't appeal to me. I really just want to do the work and I'll entertain myself with music or TV.

Ultimately, I went with TR because I liked their podcasts. They provide a lot of context for the training plans, and training / racing in general.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [talegater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talegater wrote:
its not lost on me that since starting on zwift, the territory and function has grown tremendously.

- so many more different routes
- better graphics and sound
- more workout and some basic plans
- running function

All of these I use and can appreciate. I can see these functions and future enhancement adding value and justifying the costs. In particular training plans like TrainerRoad, structured and varied depending on ability and goals would be super valuable to me.

Moreover, the convenience and safety side of the equation is supremely important to me. Wife and two kids and fulll time job and elderly parents. Suiting up for a road ride takes 30 mins and another 20mins of intersections to get to my favorite roads. Bad weather, crazy drivers, and potholes stress me out. Not a fan of freezing my butt off for the first 45 mins either, during am rides. Since zwift and to a more limited extent TrainerRoad before that, I’d train and race out doors still. Now, I am 99% training and racing indoors. Safe, hard, and super convenient. I still road bike race, duathlon, and tri outside for races but training rides are now virtually all indoors. But in the evening when kids are in bed, I can sneak on down to garage and hammer out a 60 min session training or racing.

If that was it, then it’s already compelling, but I also enjoy being part of the community. Am On a training and race team for zwift where I hammer it out with my international mates from all over the world. We push each other and occasionally even trash talk. We schedule to meet up at races, show up and crush it out, executing team tactics. Loads if fun. And bye, the tss of 90-95 matches or blows away the TrainerRoad efforts: competition and camaraderie are pretty big motivators.

If it was just graphics and a couple of “ghost” riders, then yeah, pretty boring. But there are literally thousands of riders and races/rides to join in 24/7. That’s valuable and what makes zwift awesome.

My experience, yours may differ.

You can suit up to play football in 30 minutes but going for a ride ??
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift increases monthly prices by 50% [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something that does it for me in TR, is their customer service. Top notch all around. (I have never used zwift, so it could be the same).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
With that being said, I can see no reason to use TR.

On the other hand, I see no reason at all to use Zwift. I've got absolutely no interest "racing" or riding around some "virtual" world - zip, zilch, nada. I've tried Zwift and it was not for me. Instead, I prefer to fire up my TR workout, start some music or something on Netflix and ride.

Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make anyone "right" or "wrong." Whatever works best for them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next