Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Omega
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+2 for the Omega.
If the numbers are good, I will put one on the front of my road bike and tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Damon,

My compliments for the new P5 work you've all done.
Can both the UCI legal and TTTri P5 version be fitted with normal brake calipers (front-and rear) as hydrolic versions from Magura?
Also, will the new Cervelo-3T aerobar be available for excisting (Cervelo) bikes?

Thanks,

Eric

EJ is a Physician assistant, Cervelo Bike Professor, Dreamer, Triathlete, ex-Photo amature...Earthling
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO this bike looks fantastic. I will order one from my LBS today.

In regard to sizing I am looking at either a 54 or 56. There is a large amount of overlap in some of the arm pad stack and reach table numbers for the 2 sizes. (I assume due to the many adjustments you can make to the bike).
If I fit both sizes what should i be doing?

My current bike gives me a C measurement of 615-620 and a F measurement of 475-480 (variability depending on what part of the aero pad i use). (Note and warning to me i guess: my current rig needs some fit changes - probably going shorter cranks to give me knees a break...). (I am 6 feet tall if that matters...)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, if only Cervelo knew anything about shapes and aerodynamics,

Well said!

Still, while I ride a P3 and love it, $6500 is darn pricey. That's $1500 more before tax (13% in Ontario here) to the Trek SC. It is a leap in price to be sure for how much more speed is still not known.

Any one know what the new BMC frame, fork, brakes, bars retails for as another comparison?

well - if you have the money to spend, that is why we make it I suppose.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
Any one know what the new BMC frame, fork, brakes, bars retails for as another comparison?

TM01 is $4500 for frame, fork, seatpost, stem and brakes. No bars included with that module. But, R&A has builds ranging from $5000 for Ultegra (!) to $6000 for Red to $13000 for Di2 and 808s.

Love the new P5 but that TM01 is pretty sweet too, and on my short list.

Edit: Excel Sports has the Di2 TT upgrade group for <$2300. Odds are you already have race wheels of choice, probably a saddle too. So, $6800 + crankset (and you might already have a PM) + bar of choice = easily under $8000, with Di2 pursuit shifting to boot although you won't have those cool Magura's, which probably can't be retrofit to the TM01. Still, not a terrible option ...
Last edited by: LJefe: Jan 19, 12 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [EJ2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJ2 wrote:
Hello Damon,

My compliments for the new P5 work you've all done.
Can both the UCI legal and TTTri P5 version be fitted with normal brake calipers (front-and rear) as hydrolic versions from Magura?
Also, will the new Cervelo-3T aerobar be available for excisting (Cervelo) bikes?

Thanks,

Eric
Hi Eric,
Both versions' brakes attach with normal center bolts. The fork fits any caliper and the frame fits any caliper, but it would have to clear the crank, too. For example, the Tektro (which is supplied with the less expensive frameset).

The new Cervelo-3T Aduro aerobar is planned to be available from 3T, yes - but as it is designed now, the cables only go straight into the P5's ICS3 cable guide in the top tube. Might have to figure out how to get the cables into other frames...

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi triracerboy,

Aerodynamically, there is no difference between the various aero bar configurations (Low or HighV, for instance). So if you fit more than one size (this is normally the case; for many it could possibly be up to three possible sizes), then use the usual considerations to decide: considering adjusting stack up or down, reach farther or closer, base bar higher or lower, etc.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [JudgeNick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard through reliable sources that you tried to offer your brake to Cervelo and they told you "No thank you"

And I say no thank you to Omega, Hooker brake, Campagnolo Delta and Eggbrake as it isn't just about looking aero. Plus an enthusiastic f... no to Tektro.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi 7summits,

Thanks for your order! The Cervelo-3T Aduro aero bar comes with both the "Low" and "High-V" parts.
The "X-Lo" is planned to be available separately. We don't expect many will order it, as it only gets you 20mm lower than the Low and limits arm pad reach to just one position directly on top of the base bar.

Correct we are not planning to produce a bento box.
Greg's Dark Speed Works aero pack fits perfectly and is available now.
Torhans is also working on a design for the top tube mount, and a different storage / hydration solution for the down tube.
Also X-Lab is developing an accessory mount for the behind the seat location.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi sesel,

The 50mm is arm pad *reach* adjustment. It's accomplished through multiple rows of holes in the arm pad plate.

The arm pads stay at the same level with the extensions, but everything can be raised or lowered by adding or subtracting fork spacers between the frame and stem. These AeroMatched spacers will be included.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I heard through reliable sources that you tried to offer your brake to Cervelo and they told you "No thank you"

And I say no thank you to Omega, Hooker brake, Campagnolo Delta and Eggbrake as it isn't just about looking aero. Plus an enthusiastic f... no to Tektro.

Are you commenting as an "unbiased" reporter for Slowtwitch or just a general member of the forum? Either way, I find your response lacking in tact. Much like quite a few others who trash a bike they havent even ridden yet (except for you and a few others). It goes both ways. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, as we all are, but I personally hold what you, Dan and Jordan all say to a bit higher regard because of your affiliation with the site. Taking cheap shots isn't something I see from Dan or Jordan.

Cervelo has done a great job with their bike and kudos to them for putting together a partnership with Magura on the first hydraulic road brake. I feel this thread should be about the P5 and not trying to trash either side.

"One Line Robert"
Last edited by: wsrobert: Jan 19, 12 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ScottWassy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott,

The two forks are:
P5-Three. This one has UCI-legal 3:1 blades.
P5-Six. This one has UCI-illegal 6:1 blades.

The two seat posts are:
Aero Tri. This one has the clamp slot "on top" of the post.
Aero TT. This one has the clamp slot "laid back" a bit.
Most everyone (even many UCi riders) will probably use the Aero Tri post. Only a rider on a very small frame and/or with a very long saddle nose might need the Aero TT post, to get the saddle nose 5cm back of the BB.

Correct, the less expensive frameset comes without bars and without the Magura brakes. It includes a rear Tektro brake to fit under the BB.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yme wrote:
I have a very hard time believing the UCI version front end that looks like this picture will be anywhere close to the drag of something like the Speed Concept at anything other then 0 degree yaw for this front end. There are a lot of gaps and bumps that can change the airflow around this area.

Hi yme,

Yeah, aerodynamics is pretty counterintuitive sometimes. That's why we measure this stuff when we can. I was pretty skeptical of the "naked" brake's performance too, but we've matched the fork and frames' widths to the trailing wake of the brake, which probably has something to do with its good aero performance. The covered version is certainly faster (it covers up the bumps and holes), but the uncovered version is also faster than a centerpull or sidepull brake.

Hard to make an isolated comparison of just the effects of this brake to something like the Speed Concept's very clean looking front end - it's attached to a completely different back end. :-)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, not feeling the love in this thread anymore. It is just a bike that once you sit a rider on it, it will finish a race in the same place that the rider would place if say sitting on a 'insert bike here'.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have ridden all the brakes I mentioned except for the Omega, so I am speaking from experience. Plus how is saying "no thank you" lacking tact?

As for the stronger comments about the Tektro brake, I actually had tons of time on that one and absolutely hate it. Sorry if you feel that is not fair reporting.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all, that's pretty darn delusional to think that aerodynamics doesn't affect speed. Because that's pretty much what you just said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Brake snob :-P

Besides, of the 5 brakes you mention above, only 1 of them has a reputation of not actually working very well as a braking device (edit: when set up correctly and using good pads, of course)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 19, 12 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say very very few would brake as well as a Dura Ace with good pads, though
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [justkeepedaling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
I would say very very few would brake as well as a Dura Ace with good pads, though
'
I think you would be surprised...I'm continually amazed at the difference a set of KoolStop Salmons will make on a particular brake's performance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's the one I ride :-)

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a ton of different brakes. Both terrible and good. Fairwheelbike's brake test is pretty accurate from my impressions. Note, I live on hills so I do a lot of braking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
I've used a ton of different brakes. Both terrible and good. Fairwheelbike's brake test is pretty accurate from my impressions. Note, I live on hills so I do a lot of braking.

Huh...and yet, that "review" stated that there are other brakes with equal stopping power and modulation (i.e. rated the same as the DA in those categories)...so, I guess it is possible, huh? :-)

I also noticed that none of those brakes in that review were the ones Herbert mentioned, which I guess is understandable since the Fairwheel guys tend towards the "weight-weenie" side of things ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Velonews test, the Dura Ace 7900 brakes had the greatest stopping power, bar none. No, aero brakes weren't included in that test either. I've not been impressed by the majority of center pull brakes, though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justkeepedaling wrote:
According to the Velonews test, the Dura Ace 7900 brakes had the greatest stopping power, bar none. No, aero brakes weren't included in that test either. I've not been impressed by the majority of center pull brakes, though

Don't forget to keep in mind that absolute "stopping power" is not the be all and end all of brake performance...I could make you a brake that had even MORE "stopping power" than a DA brake, but I don't think you'd actually want to use it (pump in the spokes, anyone?) ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next