Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,

What's the word on the tri fork fitting a p4?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else notice that the P5 frameset costs less than the P4?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(I'll cross post this)

I would expect that the 30sec/40k claim is not comparing the P5 UCI frame to the P4 frame as a P4 with a Tririg Omega or Hooker centerpull would likely be a challenge to improve that significantly at low yaw, but it may be possible with the non UCI fork.

It appears that the UCI version comes with a mechanical brake and what looks like the FK26 style fork, and in that configuration it looks similar to the current P4, exception being the bottle, the join area between the seat tube and top tube, and the head tube area.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jever98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without di2 buttons on the pursuit bars, electronic shifting loses its sex appeal. Why didn't Cervelo show the P5 with the buttons on the bars?

jever98 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
No shifting the Di2 from the pursuit, so far. Very easy to add di2 switches, though. Internal fluid is just a gimmick. A specialized Virtue and a between the bars bottle are all you need. There are tons of integrated opportunities for the P5. You can put a tool kit over the bb and a bento box for gels, etc. If you don't use Di2, you can put a tube in the bb housing. Yes, very possible to take the bar off and stuff it into a bike container. The hydraulic brake lines are part of a closed system

Actually not that easy to add Di2 switches on pursuits, I did it and it wasnt that easy to find waterproof reliable, low profile switches.

The amount people worry about the frame shape and showing the least amount of surface area is a red herring - Bento boxes that stick out and poorly fitting storage solutions are so much worse (in my guess) than the difference between a P2, P3, P4, or P5. Just look at any IM race to see what horrible concotions the majority have to come up with to store all their stuff. I know I struggle with it.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Damon,

I'd say its quite possible, as the P5 headtube join area looks very similar to the P4.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
38cm wide base bar? Holy smokes that seems narrow! As a bigger guy, with broader shoulders what were your thoughts on this aspect Herbert?

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see Kevin MacKinnon in in Lanzarote giving the P5 a test.

Last time went to Kevin's place he had a brand new SHIV to test...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, thanks for the info so far, the chart of pad stack/reach fit windows is exactly what I was looking for.

What I would like to understand is how the range of pad stacks is achieved for a given option and whether there is any reason to prefer one over the other. My current pad stack is 640mm. I can achieve that with either a 54cm with High V, or a 56cm with Low. 54/HV means I'll be close to the bottom of the range, 56/Low means I'll be close to the top of the range. Lets suppose that both ranges are fine, and I'm happy with the reach ranges, and that I also understand the implications for base bar position. What I'm interested in is any possible aero differences - to get me up towards the top of the 56/Low range, will it need stacking up with something that would be less aero than the High V shape? I'm also thinking that the High V shape is probably more aero than having a taller frame, again pushing me towards the 54/HV option?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
38cm wide base bar? Holy smokes that seems narrow!

As a smaller rider, chapeau to Cervelo on this move.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
10k for the di2 version, and it comes with a $200 wheelset. Geez...

Most purchasers will probably already own a set of race wheels. So I'd rather pay for a cheap set of wheels rather than another expensive pair. They are basically there to allow you to ride it home or for training use!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [triperson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triperson wrote:
Anyone else notice that the P5 frameset costs less than the P4?

They probably haven't updated their pricing on the website. Although I believe the P4 is going away, even though i'm not sure why anymore because there if thats the case there is a huge hole between the 3350 p3 and the 6000 p5.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Damon,

I'd say its quite possible, as the P5 headtube join area looks very similar to the P4.

I think you're right, I just need to find a shop that can get me one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anybody notice whether the integrated aerobar on the tri version requires Di2 on order to route invisibly or is it possible to use standard Dura Ace with cables?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [heffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think it should be okay but i';m really not sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [daryl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daryl1 wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
according to the article, " Yet when you incorporate the massive 11 centimeters of aerobar fit variability—with an integrated front end that’s capable of going lower than the P4 ever was (lower than that to a -17-degree stem, they’re able to placate their agro-positioned ProTour riders like Dave Zabriskie."

Depends on what kind of bar and also possibly the clamp diameter ... I am willing to bet they used something like the brezza as a baseline. Try reproducing the same stack as a P4 with the lower stack fsa headset, -17deg stem, and a USE tula bar.

Hi Daryl,

Correct, the reference is the stock 3T bar as delivered on P4s.

However, looking just at the new Aduro bar, there are three Macro Height settings:

• The X-Lo macro setting adds 40mm stack from the frame to the arm pad. This is the lowest, would be interesting to compare this dimension to your U.S.E.?
  • The Low macro setting adds 60mm stack from the frame to the arm pad. This is still lower than a stock 3T bar.
  • The High-V (which tests just as fast) adds 105mm stack from the frame to the arm pad.
Plus each has the option to raise the bar+stem on aero-matched 5mm and 10mm fork spacers up to 55mm.

Can you measure our bar's arm pad stack?

Or better yet measure your bike's arm pad stack and refer to the P5 chart Herbert posted:
http://wenoticed.slowtwitch.com/...tack-and-reach-chart

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does the bike ride/handle?

I second thing I noticed on the geometry chart, after the stack and reach, was that the BB drop is now 75mm, up from 60mm on the P4,3,2,1. How does that, with the increases in Rear Center (+19mm), change the handling?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Damon,

Hi Grant,

Unfortunately it's a no-go. The P4 frame's chin has a smaller radius which would interfere with the P5 forks.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Damon,

Hi Grant,

Unfortunately it's a no-go. The P4 frame's chin has a smaller radius which would interfere with the P5 forks.

Cheers,

Is it dremelable? haha
I already had to do that to the ventus, whats another couple dremeled pieces at this point :)
Last edited by: Grant.Reuter: Jan 18, 12 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gtingley wrote:
I would expect that the 30sec/40k claim is not comparing the P5 UCI frame to the P4 frame as a P4 with a Tririg Omega or Hooker centerpull would likely be a challenge to improve that significantly at low yaw, but it may be possible with the non UCI fork.

Hi Gary, tunnel data is coming soon.

gtingley wrote:
It appears that the UCI version comes with a mechanical brake and what looks like the FK26 style fork, and in that configuration it looks similar to the current P4, exception being the bottle, the join area between the seat tube and top tube, and the head tube area.

Yes, the P5-Three fork blades share the P4's FK25 (and the P3's FK26) aero shape, as described in more detail in my Ask the Engineers blog post "The P4 Fork - a Prodigious Father".

Your other observations are right on from a profile silhouette, but there's more aero tuning in the shapes of the P5's skin surfaces than can be seen from that view alone.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really appreciate coming on the forum and answering the zillions of questions.

Pretty much read everything I can find on the P5 and have not seen anything on comparability of wider rear wheels like the HED Stinger disc. Can you comment on the difference between the P4 and P5 on rear wheel comparability?

Basically the rear brake/chainstay maximum clearance.

Thanks!
Last edited by: bartturner: Jan 18, 12 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bartturner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi bartturner,
The P5 fits all wheels known to VWD, including the HED Stinger disc. You can bet we checked this time around. ;-)
Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cross-posting my question here as it is probably are better place for it (as this is now the official thread).

So, it's kind of a bet (well, it's always kind of a bet with the UCI) to order those bars at this point in time if racing UCI sanctioned races (and maybe the same with the non-stickered frame)....?

I'm eagerly awaiting the drag numbers :)

I have one more question. The picture on this link seems to be a UCI legal setup (assuming the new bars are OK with the UCI). But I can't seem to find a name or model number for that setup? The two bikes listed at cervelo.com with the new 3T bar are both tri versions. Will this model not be sold? If it will, what will the name or model number be?

Thanks for answering all these questions.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon:

Will it be possible to shift gears from the pursuit bars on the Di2 P5? I don't see any shift buttons there.

-------------------------------------

thanks,

Aluminum Man
Last edited by: Aluminum Man: Jan 18, 12 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Will there be a way to upgrade a P5-Three to a P5-Six? Say someone bought the P5-Three frameset and later on wanted to add the other pieces. I figure the Magura brakes and 3T bars can be bought seperate, but what about the P5-Six fork, nosecone, and Aero Tri seatpost?

Thanks,

-Mike

-Mike

Vertex Fit Systems (http://www.vertexfitsystems.com) | Bikeworks (http://www.bikeworksma.com) | Russo Racing (http://www.r2tri.com)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is going to purchase a P5 right off the bat versus wait a year to see if any kinks need to be worked out or modifications made? Personally, I like to wait a year before purchasing a new model. Didn't the P4 need some modifications after its initial release in 2009?

I'm anxious to upgrade my P3 but have been sitting on the fence for the next technology jump. The P4 wasn't it. I think it just occurred with the P5.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply

Prev Next